|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is having a baby in a nearby tent where the pickers are camped?
(a) London's daughter-in-law.
(b) London's daughter.
(c) Al's daughter.
(d) Al's girlfriend.
2. What does Jim wonder that Dan should be doing instead of manual labor?
(b) Working the charity system.
(d) Union work.
3. What does Al express concern about while Jim and Mac eat at his Lunch Wagon?
(a) His father's crop.
(b) The impending strike.
(c) Purges within the Party.
(d) Losing customers.
4. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
(a) The Propagandist.
(b) The Instigator.
(c) The Du Barry.
(d) The Don Juan.
5. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Rigid and cold.
(b) Weak in mind.
(c) Angry and mean.
(d) Sort of dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
2. What does Jim admit about the possibility of Lisa dying during the delivery process?
3. What are Jim and Mac doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. How does London react to Mac's suggestion for someone else as general chairman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is field work so dangerous, according to Mac?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Old Dan predict happening with the group of strikers in Torgas Valley? What does he mean by "water heaving before the boil"?
3. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
4. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
5. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
6. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
7. Why does Al use his business and his father's land to explain why he does not want to join the cause?
8. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
9. Why does Mac say that if Lisa had died the birthing experience would still have been worthwhile?
10. What does the orchard superintendent tell London to do?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)