|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They both understood what the Party needs.
(b) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(c) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
(d) They simply like to fight.
2. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
(c) Does not care.
3. For what does Harry express surprise concerning Jim's past?
(a) Jim's quick and sudden submission to the Party.
(b) Jim's quitting high school.
(c) Jim's connection to his father, a non-Party member.
(d) Jim's lack of connection to the Party thus far.
4. How does London react to Mac's suggestion for someone else as general chairman?
(a) He denies.
(b) He agrees.
(c) He leaves the Party.
(d) He is infuriated.
5. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
(a) It is a delicate situation and someone could get easily hurt.
(b) The strikers are guaranteed to prevail.
(c) It is the best situation he has seen in a long time.
(d) They will need more than one doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
2. What ordinance does Mac predict the county will pass in the event of a strike?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
4. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
5. What does Mac tell Jim that makes field work especially dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
2. Why, according to Mac at the end of Chapter 7, will the whole valley burn if Anderson's farm is touched?
3. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
4. What does the orchard superintendent tell London to do?
5. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
6. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
7. Why does Al use his business and his father's land to explain why he does not want to join the cause?
8. What are the sounds playing at the end of Chapter 6?
9. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
10. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)