|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(a) His mother.
(b) No one.
(c) His father.
2. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
(b) Lack of competition.
(c) Economic crisis.
(d) Tax inflation.
3. What does Al express concern about while Jim and Mac eat at his Lunch Wagon?
(a) Losing customers.
(b) The impending strike.
(c) Purges within the Party.
(d) His father's crop.
4. What musical instrument is heard at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A violin.
(b) A drum.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A harmonica.
5. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She wanted to die for the Party.
(b) She was killed by Party opposers.
(c) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(d) She simply did not want to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac say is needed on the strikers' camping site in order to keep the camp legal?
2. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
3. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
4. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
2. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
3. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
4. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
5. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
6. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
7. Why does Mac strategize about bringing a doctor onto the strikers' camping ground?
8. What are the sounds playing at the end of Chapter 6?
9. Why does Al use his business and his father's land to explain why he does not want to join the cause?
10. What does the orchard superintendent tell London to do?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)