|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
(a) A beer.
(b) A smoke.
(c) A gun.
2. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
(a) The five men he met in jail.
(b) His father's meaningless death.
(c) A distaste for ordinary, meaningless life.
(d) The numerous books he has read.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is going to be romancing the female sympathizers?
4. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
(b) He pays dues to the Valley men.
(c) He does delivery work.
(d) He works both sides.
5. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
(b) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
(c) Throw everyone in jail.
(d) Bring in extra police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Jim and Mac saying that the committee wants a report?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
3. What does Mac give to Joy so that he stops bothering Jim's typing?
4. What does Jim report to the checker as the cause of the anger among strikers?
5. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
2. Why is field work so dangerous, according to Mac?
3. How does Mac explain the process of a strike to Jim?
4. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
5. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
6. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
7. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
8. Why is Joy incarcerated in Chapter 3?
9. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
10. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)