|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim reminisce about from his childhood while watching the countryside go by?
(a) Swimming in a lake.
(b) Riding his bike.
(c) Reading a book in a tree.
(d) A picnic.
2. What are the only two punishments of the Party?
(a) Physical punishment and solitary confinement.
(b) Lecture and punishment.
(c) Hard labor and fines.
(d) Reprimand and expulsion.
3. What does Jim wonder that Dan should be doing instead of manual labor?
(b) Working the charity system.
(c) Union work.
4. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) He works both sides.
(b) He pays dues to the Valley men.
(c) He does delivery work.
(d) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
5. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
(a) He did not know what he was doing.
(b) He was scared out of his mind.
(c) He never worked in a hospital.
(d) He saw how to deliver a baby once on TV.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim admit about the possibility of Lisa dying during the delivery process?
2. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
3. Who is having a baby in a nearby tent where the pickers are camped?
4. Why do Harry and Jim decide that using Jim's real name will not be detrimental to Jim's relatives?
5. Why does Harry make a point of taking the paper with him when he takes Jim to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Old Dan predict happening with the group of strikers in Torgas Valley? What does he mean by "water heaving before the boil"?
2. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
3. Why does Jim not mind the hard work and life of Party members that Harry explains to him?
4. Why does Joy remind Jim of his father?
5. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
6. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
7. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
8. Why, according to Mac at the end of Chapter 7, will the whole valley burn if Anderson's farm is touched?
9. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
10. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)