|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does London give Mac that sticks?
2. Who does the orchard superintendent remind London is the judge?
(c) Doc Burton.
3. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
(a) He tried to break into a non-Party member's home.
(b) He fought off a police officer's dog.
(c) Non-Party members rode over his hand with a horse.
(d) He punched a non-Party member too hard.
4. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
(c) Does not care.
5. Who approaches Jim and Mac saying that the committee wants a report?
(a) A private detective.
(b) A troupe of officers.
(c) The Growers' Association head.
(d) The Valley men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
2. Who does the checker try to bribe for information at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. For what reason does Mac want reassurance from Doc Burton that he has no civil or legal problems?
4. What does Jim hear at the end of Chapter 6 before he falls asleep?
5. To what does Mac compare Jim and his on-the-scene training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
2. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
3. Who is group man?
4. When the sheriff arrives at the campsite, how does he intimidate the men?
5. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
6. What is the big mistake Mac claims that the vigilantes made in Chapter 9?
7. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
8. Where do the cows, bull calf, and lima beans for the strikers come from?
9. To whom does Jim attribute his cool demeanor when London praises him for it?
10. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)