|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
(a) A distaste for ordinary, meaningless life.
(b) The five men he met in jail.
(c) The numerous books he has read.
(d) His father's meaningless death.
2. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
(a) Folds the application into an envelope.
(b) Puts Jim's application in an acceptance file.
(c) Folds the corner of Jim's application.
(d) Signs his name on Jim's application.
3. How will Mac get early warning that the scabs have arrived in town?
(a) He has spies on the train.
(b) He has microphones on the train.
(c) He keeps a cell phone on him.
(d) His people check employment agencies.
4. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
(a) It is a delicate situation and someone could get easily hurt.
(b) The strikers are guaranteed to prevail.
(c) It is the best situation he has seen in a long time.
(d) They will need more than one doctor.
5. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
(a) A beer.
(b) A gun.
(d) A smoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ordinance does Mac predict the county will pass in the event of a strike?
2. What does Mac claim will do Jim no good without on-the-scene training and experience?
3. What does Al express concern about while Jim and Mac eat at his Lunch Wagon?
4. What does the orchard superintendent threaten to do if London does not comply?
5. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mac explain the process of a strike to Jim?
2. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
3. Why, according to Mac at the end of Chapter 7, will the whole valley burn if Anderson's farm is touched?
4. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
5. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
6. Why does Jim think his mother died?
7. How does Dan break his hip?
8. Why does Jim not mind the hard work and life of Party members that Harry explains to him?
9. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
10. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)