|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, what does Harry predict will happen to Jim?
(a) Jim will lose his hatred.
(b) Jim will not enjoy the Party.
(c) Jim will take over the Party.
(d) Jim will die for the Party.
2. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
3. Who organizes the men on Anderson's farm land?
4. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
(a) Jim's application.
(b) Jim's belongings.
(c) Jim's dog.
(d) Jim's paycheks.
5. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
(d) Homeless people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
2. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
3. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
5. How many people own and oversee the Growers' Association?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
2. Why does Mac say that if Lisa had died the birthing experience would still have been worthwhile?
3. Why is field work so dangerous, according to Mac?
4. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
5. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
6. Why is Joy incarcerated in Chapter 3?
7. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
8. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
9. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
10. Why, according to Mac at the end of Chapter 7, will the whole valley burn if Anderson's farm is touched?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)