|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mac think turned the deal with Al's father about using his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
(a) The dogs.
(b) Offering of money.
(c) His admittance to being a red.
(d) Mac's relatability.
2. For what reason does Jim tell Harry that he was jailed for a vagrancy charge?
(a) He had all of his belongings on him at the time.
(b) He was watching a radical's speech in the park.
(c) He was hanging out with homeless people.
(d) He was suspected of being a radical leader.
3. Why does Harry make a point of taking the paper with him when he takes Jim to the house?
(a) He does not want Jim to read it.
(b) Someone will take the paper if he does not.
(c) The cops go through the place regularly.
(d) He does not want anyone stealing his ideas.
4. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Sort of dead.
(b) Weak in mind.
(c) Angry and mean.
(d) Rigid and cold.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
2. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
3. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
4. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
5. Who does the orchard superintendent remind London is the judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Old Dan predict happening with the group of strikers in Torgas Valley? What does he mean by "water heaving before the boil"?
3. What are the sounds playing at the end of Chapter 6?
4. Why does Jim think his mother died?
5. Why is Joy incarcerated in Chapter 3?
6. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
7. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
8. Why does Mac say that if Lisa had died the birthing experience would still have been worthwhile?
9. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
10. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)