|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
(a) The Propagandist.
(b) The Du Barry.
(c) The Don Juan.
(d) The Instigator.
2. What does Mac mention to the men who want to steal their paper in order to intimidate them?
(a) The Growers' Association.
(b) Rosanna Fights Stadium.
(c) The Tandale strike.
(d) The Party.
3. What does Jim wonder that Dan should be doing instead of manual labor?
(b) Working the charity system.
(d) Union work.
4. Who does the orchard superintendent tell London to get rid of?
(a) Dakin and his truck.
(b) Doc Burton and Anderson.
(c) Mac and Jim.
(d) Jim and Dan.
5. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(c) She was killed by Party opposers.
(d) She wanted to die for the Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim reminisce about from his childhood while watching the countryside go by?
2. What are the only two punishments of the Party?
3. What does the orchard superintendent offer London in return for doing what he asks?
4. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
5. Who approaches Jim and Mac saying that the committee wants a report?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dan break his hip?
2. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
3. What are the sounds playing at the end of Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
5. Why does Jim not mind the hard work and life of Party members that Harry explains to him?
6. Why does Al use his business and his father's land to explain why he does not want to join the cause?
7. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
8. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
9. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
10. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)