|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(c) She was killed by Party opposers.
(d) She wanted to die for the Party.
2. With what is Joy charged after making a speech on a street corner?
(a) Public disturbance.
(b) Stabbing a cop in the shoulder with a pocketknife.
(c) Taking a cop hostage.
(d) Drunk and disorderly.
3. What does Mac tell Jim that makes field work especially dangerous?
(a) The use of automatic weapons.
(b) Enraged policemen.
(c) American Legionnaires.
(d) Tear gas.
4. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
(a) Clear thinking.
5. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The subway.
(b) A freight train.
(c) A boat.
(d) A cop car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac mention to the men who want to steal their paper in order to intimidate them?
2. What does Al express concern about while Jim and Mac eat at his Lunch Wagon?
3. Who does Mac tell Jim not to bother trying to convert to the Party?
4. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
5. What are Jim and Mac doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
2. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
3. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
4. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
5. Why is Dan appearing to be losing his mind when Jim goes to speak with him?
6. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
7. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
8. How does Dan break his hip?
9. Why does Jim not mind the hard work and life of Party members that Harry explains to him?
10. Who is group man?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)