|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How will Mac get early warning that the scabs have arrived in town?
(a) He keeps a cell phone on him.
(b) His people check employment agencies.
(c) He has spies on the train.
(d) He has microphones on the train.
2. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They both understood what the Party needs.
(b) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(c) They simply like to fight.
(d) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
3. What does Mac have the men do after the birth so that they can share in the experience and participate.
(a) Take pictures.
(b) Gather blankets and pillows.
(c) Burn the birthing clothes.
(d) Document the birth in a journal.
4. Who does the checker try to bribe for information at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. How does Harry describe the life of a Party member to Jim?
(a) An unparalleled and enoyable existence.
(b) Becoming a robot that is controlled by the Party.
(c) A life of hard work and poverty.
(d) An easier life than that of non-Party members.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the orchard superintendent tell London to get rid of?
2. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
3. With what is Joy charged after making a speech on a street corner?
4. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
5. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mac strategize about bringing a doctor onto the strikers' camping ground?
2. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
3. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
4. How does Mac explain the process of a strike to Jim?
5. Why is Joy incarcerated in Chapter 3?
6. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
7. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
8. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
9. Why does Jim not mind the hard work and life of Party members that Harry explains to him?
10. Why is Dakin afraid of being involved in the strike?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)