|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Harry express surprise concerning Jim's past?
(a) Jim's quick and sudden submission to the Party.
(b) Jim's quitting high school.
(c) Jim's connection to his father, a non-Party member.
(d) Jim's lack of connection to the Party thus far.
2. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
(a) An engineer.
(b) Crop supervisor.
(c) A tree-topper.
3. Who stops Jim and Mac on their way back from Anderson's land?
(a) Three vigilantes.
(c) Group of kids.
4. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Weak in mind.
(b) Sort of dead.
(c) Rigid and cold.
(d) Angry and mean.
5. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A freight train.
(b) The subway.
(c) A boat.
(d) A cop car.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people own and oversee the Growers' Association?
2. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
3. What does the orchard superintendent offer London in return for doing what he asks?
4. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
5. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
2. Why does Al use his business and his father's land to explain why he does not want to join the cause?
3. How does Mac explain the process of a strike to Jim?
4. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
5. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
6. Why does Mac say that if Lisa had died the birthing experience would still have been worthwhile?
7. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
8. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
9. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
10. Why does Mac strategize about bringing a doctor onto the strikers' camping ground?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)