|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who approaches Jim and Mac saying that the committee wants a report?
(a) The Growers' Association head.
(b) A troupe of officers.
(c) A private detective.
(d) The Valley men.
2. What are the only two punishments of the Party?
(a) Physical punishment and solitary confinement.
(b) Reprimand and expulsion.
(c) Lecture and punishment.
(d) Hard labor and fines.
3. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
(a) A distaste for ordinary, meaningless life.
(b) The five men he met in jail.
(c) His father's meaningless death.
(d) The numerous books he has read.
4. What does Mac admit to feeling good about at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Keeping the mother alive.
(b) Sterilizing the pocketknife.
(c) Delivering the baby successfully.
(d) Getting the men to work together.
5. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
(a) The Don Juan.
(b) The Du Barry.
(c) The Propagandist.
(d) The Instigator.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Harry express surprise concerning Jim's past?
2. Who does the orchard superintendent remind London is the judge?
3. At the end of Chapter 1, what does Harry predict will happen to Jim?
4. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
5. What is Mac's dream about the the strike and causing a lot of fuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sounds playing at the end of Chapter 6?
2. Why does Mac say that if Lisa had died the birthing experience would still have been worthwhile?
3. How does Mac explain the process of a strike to Jim?
4. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
5. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
6. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
7. Why does Jim not mind the hard work and life of Party members that Harry explains to him?
8. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
9. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
10. Why does Mac strategize about bringing a doctor onto the strikers' camping ground?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)