|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What names does London use to refer to Jim and Mac at the end of Chapter 5 when speaking with Dakin?
2. Who do Mac and Jim convince Al of letting them meet while at his Lunch Wagon?
(a) Al's father.
(b) Al's mother.
(c) Al's grandfather.
(d) Al's uncle.
3. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
(a) Homeless people.
4. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
(a) Open their safe with the secret stash of money.
(b) Ask for change on the street.
(c) Round up sympathizers.
(d) Break into a local store.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is having a baby in a nearby tent where the pickers are camped?
2. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Mac make a speech about that explains why his mother's house was set on fire?
3. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
4. Who does Mac tell Jim not to bother trying to convert to the Party?
5. Who organizes the men on Anderson's farm land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
2. Why, according to Mac at the end of Chapter 7, will the whole valley burn if Anderson's farm is touched?
3. What does the orchard superintendent tell London to do?
4. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
5. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
6. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
7. How does Dan break his hip?
8. Why does Joy remind Jim of his father?
9. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
10. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)