|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason does Jim tell Harry that he was jailed for a vagrancy charge?
(a) He was suspected of being a radical leader.
(b) He was watching a radical's speech in the park.
(c) He had all of his belongings on him at the time.
(d) He was hanging out with homeless people.
2. What does Mac give to Joy so that he stops bothering Jim's typing?
(a) A documentary film on the Party.
(b) A book on political warfare.
(c) A letter from his family.
(d) A copy of New Masses.
3. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mac warn will happen if Anderson's farm is touched at all?
(a) The men will gain more power.
(b) The Party will dissolve.
(c) The whole valley will burn.
(d) The men will lose faith.
4. What does Jim report to the checker as the cause of the anger among strikers?
(a) Can of bad fish.
(b) Unfair wages.
(c) Unsanitary conditions.
(d) A sack of rotten apples.
5. What is decided that needs to be done at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) The strikers need to be motivated.
(b) They need to buy supplies.
(c) Joy must be freed from jail.
(d) Jim needs to buy jeans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy does Mac use when thinking about striking?
2. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
3. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
4. How does London react to Mac's suggestion for someone else as general chairman?
5. What does Jim hear at the end of Chapter 6 before he falls asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
2. How does Mac explain the process of a strike to Jim?
3. Why does Joy remind Jim of his father?
4. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
5. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
6. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
7. How does Dan break his hip?
8. Why does Jim think his mother died?
9. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
10. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)