|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes with the group that includes Sam?
2. To what does Doc Burton compare Jim's feelings toward the cause that offends Jim?
3. How many men are in the squads sent out?
4. Why is Lisa a little embarrassed when Jim stops to talk to her?
(a) She yelled at him earlier.
(b) He saw her getting changed.
(c) He helped her when she was sick.
(d) He helped deliver her baby.
5. Who accuses Mac of being insensitive and cold-blooded after Mac says he wants to take Joy's body back to camp?
(a) Doc Burton.
6. To whom does Mac write a letter asking for help?
7. What image ends Chapter 11?
(a) An owl in the night,
(b) A candle going out.
(c) London's nephew.
(d) Flickering flames.
8. Why does Mac want to bring Joy's body back to the strikers' camp?
(a) To keep Joy's body from the non-Party members.
(b) To keep the men together.
(c) To remove the bullets out commemorative decoration.
(d) To cremate his body.
9. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Mac caution the men not to eat but they eat anyway because of hunger?
(d) Raw pork.
10. What does Mac claim the men will feel even if they lose the fight?
11. Who sends out the squads of men the morning following Joy's death?
(a) London and Mac.
(b) Dakin and London.
(c) Dakin and Jim.
(d) Mac and Jim.
12. How does Jim elude the cops after he and Mac go to talk to the deputies?
(a) Dives into a river.
(b) Climbs up a tree.
(c) Jumps on to a moving train.
(d) Hides behind a rock.
13. What do the group of men complain about having to do?
(a) Dig their own latrines.
(b) Hunt for their own food.
(c) Wait three days to bury Joy.
(d) Make appointments with Doc Burton.
14. Who does Bolter accuse Mac of being sent by?
(a) Red headquarters
(b) Communist leaders.
(c) Russian intelligence.
(d) Non-Party members.
15. Where does Mac send Sam after he has killed his captor and escaped?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To the Valley headquarters.
(c) To a hideout and a sympathizer.
(d) To the next outbound train.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Mac say to Jim is the hardest part about what they do for the Party?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 14, what does the paper Mac picks up falsely accuse the strikers of?
3. What does Sam brag about being a part of?
4. What does Doc Burton describe as taking over during mob action?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Mac drape over Joy's coffin?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)