|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dan seeming to lose his mind, according to Doc Burton?
(a) He is constipated.
(b) He has not eaten.
(c) He took pills.
(d) He ate bad meat.
2. What are the men doing before that they have to be sent out to do something?
(a) Losing faith in the cause.
(b) Fighting among themselves.
(c) Breaking the strike.
(d) Becoming depressed.
3. How many men are in the squads sent out?
4. After Dick believes he is spotted for vagrancy, who does he send for to replace him?
5. What does Doc claim he would do if he were the boss of the other side?
(a) Shoot Mac.
(b) Apologize for Joy.
(c) Not allow the funeral.
(d) Help out the strikers.
6. How much does Bolter, the new president of the fruit Growers' Association, offer to raise the wages of the strikers?
(a) A dime.
(b) A dollar.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A dollar fifty.
7. Why does Mac decide against putting Joy on public display during the funeral march?
(a) Joy looks too peaceful.
(b) Mac does not want anyone shooting at it.
(c) Mac is scared of the repercussions.
(d) Mac does not want the body to be ruined.
8. How many men does it take to pick and clear Anderson's crop?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Nine hundred.
(d) Seven hundred.
9. What does Doc Burton describe as taking over during mob action?
(a) Angry man.
(b) Irrational thought.
(c) Group man.
(d) Animalistic tendencies.
10. What is Mac worried about the morning following Joy's death?
(a) The strike breaking.
(b) More men dying.
(c) No one caring about Joy.
(d) Joy not being remembered.
11. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Mac caution the men not to eat but they eat anyway because of hunger?
(c) Raw pork.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what does Mac have the men doing at the camp before the strikers arrive?
(a) Set up tents.
(b) Raise funds.
(c) Gather food.
(d) Dig latrines.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Mac drape over Joy's coffin?
(a) An American flag.
(b) Letters from sympathizers.
(c) A red, velvet blanket.
(d) Rose petals.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 10, how do the men feel in the morning following Joy's death?
15. What does Mac notice as strange when he looks up at the watchers on the nearby buildings?
(a) They are armed.
(b) They are crying.
(c) They are not armed.
(d) There are no women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam claim to be blacklisted as?
2. At the end of Chapter 10, who is beaten up by the vigilantes?
3. How does Mac explain vigilantes to Jim; what are they?
4. Who has left the camp?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 14, what does the paper Mac picks up falsely accuse the strikers of?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)