|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
(a) The Growers' Association.
(b) Non-Party members.
(c) Party members.
2. Who stops Jim and Mac on their way back from Anderson's land?
(c) Group of kids.
(d) Three vigilantes.
3. Who does the orchard superintendent remind London is the judge?
(d) Doc Burton.
4. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
(a) Write him a good reference.
(b) Let him come back to the rooming house.
(c) Help him find a new apartment.
(d) Give him back his week's advance.
5. What does Mac tell Jim that makes field work especially dangerous?
(a) American Legionnaires.
(b) The use of automatic weapons.
(c) Enraged policemen.
(d) Tear gas.
6. Who does Mac tell Jim not to bother trying to convert to the Party?
7. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
(a) He was scared out of his mind.
(b) He never worked in a hospital.
(c) He did not know what he was doing.
(d) He saw how to deliver a baby once on TV.
8. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
(b) He does delivery work.
(c) He pays dues to the Valley men.
(d) He works both sides.
9. How will Mac get early warning that the scabs have arrived in town?
(a) His people check employment agencies.
(b) He keeps a cell phone on him.
(c) He has spies on the train.
(d) He has microphones on the train.
10. For what reason does Jim tell Harry that he was jailed for a vagrancy charge?
(a) He was hanging out with homeless people.
(b) He was watching a radical's speech in the park.
(c) He was suspected of being a radical leader.
(d) He had all of his belongings on him at the time.
11. What names does London use to refer to Jim and Mac at the end of Chapter 5 when speaking with Dakin?
12. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
(a) Jim's belongings.
(b) Jim's paycheks.
(c) Jim's dog.
(d) Jim's application.
13. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
(a) Ask for change on the street.
(b) Round up sympathizers.
(c) Open their safe with the secret stash of money.
(d) Break into a local store.
14. What does Jim reminisce about from his childhood while watching the countryside go by?
(a) A picnic.
(b) Reading a book in a tree.
(c) Swimming in a lake.
(d) Riding his bike.
15. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
(b) A smoke.
(c) A beer.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, what does Harry predict will happen to Jim?
2. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
3. What are Jim and Mac doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mac warn will happen if Anderson's farm is touched at all?
5. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)