|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim reminisce about from his childhood while watching the countryside go by?
(a) Riding his bike.
(b) Reading a book in a tree.
(c) A picnic.
(d) Swimming in a lake.
2. What does Mac tell Jim that makes field work especially dangerous?
(a) Tear gas.
(b) American Legionnaires.
(c) Enraged policemen.
(d) The use of automatic weapons.
3. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
(a) Lack of competition.
(b) Economic crisis.
(c) Tax inflation.
4. Who does London name as Doc Burton's right-hand-man?
5. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The raids on his neighbor's houses.
(b) How the Party first came into existence.
(c) A public hanging of a Party member.
(d) His sister's disappearance in school.
6. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
(a) He saw how to deliver a baby once on TV.
(b) He did not know what he was doing.
(c) He was scared out of his mind.
(d) He never worked in a hospital.
7. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) He does delivery work.
(b) He pays dues to the Valley men.
(c) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
(d) He works both sides.
8. What does Mac give to Joy so that he stops bothering Jim's typing?
(a) A copy of New Masses.
(b) A letter from his family.
(c) A documentary film on the Party.
(d) A book on political warfare.
9. Who does the orchard superintendent tell London to get rid of?
(a) Doc Burton and Anderson.
(b) Mac and Jim.
(c) Jim and Dan.
(d) Dakin and his truck.
10. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
(a) A gun.
(b) A beer.
(c) A smoke.
11. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mac warn will happen if Anderson's farm is touched at all?
(a) The Party will dissolve.
(b) The men will lose faith.
(c) The whole valley will burn.
(d) The men will gain more power.
12. With what is Joy charged after making a speech on a street corner?
(a) Stabbing a cop in the shoulder with a pocketknife.
(b) Drunk and disorderly.
(c) Public disturbance.
(d) Taking a cop hostage.
13. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A cop car.
(b) The subway.
(c) A boat.
(d) A freight train.
14. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(a) No one.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
15. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
(a) A tree-topper.
(c) An engineer.
(d) Crop supervisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
2. Who is elected chairman of the strikers?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is going to be romancing the female sympathizers?
4. Why do Harry and Jim decide that using Jim's real name will not be detrimental to Jim's relatives?
5. What happens to Dan when he is trying to get out of the tree?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)