|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stops Jim and Mac on their way back from Anderson's land?
(c) Group of kids.
(d) Three vigilantes.
2. For what does Harry express surprise concerning Jim's past?
(a) Jim's connection to his father, a non-Party member.
(b) Jim's quick and sudden submission to the Party.
(c) Jim's quitting high school.
(d) Jim's lack of connection to the Party thus far.
3. What as Mac sent away for the previous night that he expects the next morning?
4. At the end of Chapter 1, what does Harry predict will happen to Jim?
(a) Jim will not enjoy the Party.
(b) Jim will take over the Party.
(c) Jim will lose his hatred.
(d) Jim will die for the Party.
5. What does the orchard superintendent offer London in return for doing what he asks?
(a) A hefty severance sum.
(b) A steady job.
(d) A political position.
6. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
(a) The five men he met in jail.
(b) A distaste for ordinary, meaningless life.
(c) The numerous books he has read.
(d) His father's meaningless death.
7. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
8. What does the orchard superintendent threaten to do if London does not comply?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Banish them from the city.
(c) Jail them for life.
(d) Blacklist them all.
9. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(c) She wanted to die for the Party.
(d) She was killed by Party opposers.
10. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A boat.
(b) The subway.
(c) A cop car.
(d) A freight train.
11. Who does the orchard superintendent tell London to get rid of?
(a) Mac and Jim.
(b) Dakin and his truck.
(c) Jim and Dan.
(d) Doc Burton and Anderson.
12. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
(a) He never worked in a hospital.
(b) He saw how to deliver a baby once on TV.
(c) He did not know what he was doing.
(d) He was scared out of his mind.
13. Who does Mac suggest for general chairman because he has a cooler head than London?
(d) Doc Burton.
14. What is Mac's dream about the the strike and causing a lot of fuss?
(a) The Growers' Association will dissolve.
(b) The strikers will start their own association.
(c) The whole district is organized by spring.
(d) The Growers' Association will give in to their demands.
15. With what is Joy charged after making a speech on a street corner?
(a) Stabbing a cop in the shoulder with a pocketknife.
(b) Taking a cop hostage.
(c) Drunk and disorderly.
(d) Public disturbance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim hear at the end of Chapter 6 before he falls asleep?
2. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
3. What names does London use to refer to Jim and Mac at the end of Chapter 5 when speaking with Dakin?
4. What does Mac claim will do Jim no good without on-the-scene training and experience?
5. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)