|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Al express concern about while Jim and Mac eat at his Lunch Wagon?
(a) Purges within the Party.
(b) The impending strike.
(c) Losing customers.
(d) His father's crop.
2. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
(a) Folds the corner of Jim's application.
(b) Folds the application into an envelope.
(c) Signs his name on Jim's application.
(d) Puts Jim's application in an acceptance file.
3. Who stops Jim and Mac on their way back from Anderson's land?
(b) Three vigilantes.
(d) Group of kids.
4. What ordinance does Mac predict the county will pass in the event of a strike?
(a) Congregation made illegal.
(b) Soliciting donations made illegal.
(c) Picking made illegal.
(d) Separate but equal rights for pickers.
5. What happens to Dan when he is trying to get out of the tree?
(a) Breaks his hip.
(b) Breaks his leg.
(c) Breaks his ankle.
(d) Breaks his back.
6. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They simply like to fight.
(b) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
(c) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(d) They both understood what the Party needs.
7. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
(b) A beer.
(c) A smoke.
(d) A gun.
8. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mac warn will happen if Anderson's farm is touched at all?
(a) The men will gain more power.
(b) The men will lose faith.
(c) The whole valley will burn.
(d) The Party will dissolve.
9. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
(a) He saw how to deliver a baby once on TV.
(b) He never worked in a hospital.
(c) He did not know what he was doing.
(d) He was scared out of his mind.
10. What does Jim hear at the end of Chapter 6 before he falls asleep?
(a) A baby crying.
(b) An owl hooting.
(c) A rooster crowing.
(d) Men conversing.
11. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
12. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Mac make a speech about that explains why his mother's house was set on fire?
(a) She was discovered to be related to Mac.
(b) He made a speech about people starving.
(c) He was followed to his home one night.
(d) She was housing Party members.
13. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Weak in mind.
(b) Sort of dead.
(c) Rigid and cold.
(d) Angry and mean.
14. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(c) She wanted to die for the Party.
(d) She was killed by Party opposers.
15. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
(b) Throw everyone in jail.
(c) Bring in extra police.
(d) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac mention to the men who want to steal their paper in order to intimidate them?
2. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
3. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
5. What are Jim and Mac doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)