|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mac claim will do Jim no good without on-the-scene training and experience?
(a) All of the books he has read.
(b) Physical ability.
(c) Hatred for the rat race.
(d) Passion for the cause.
2. Who does London name as Doc Burton's right-hand-man?
3. Who is elected chairman of the strikers?
4. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
(a) They will need more than one doctor.
(b) It is the best situation he has seen in a long time.
(c) The strikers are guaranteed to prevail.
(d) It is a delicate situation and someone could get easily hurt.
5. Who approaches Jim and Mac saying that the committee wants a report?
(a) The Valley men.
(b) A private detective.
(c) A troupe of officers.
(d) The Growers' Association head.
6. How does London react to Mac's suggestion for someone else as general chairman?
(a) He leaves the Party.
(b) He agrees.
(c) He is infuriated.
(d) He denies.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
8. Who does Mac tell Jim not to bother trying to convert to the Party?
9. How many people own and oversee the Growers' Association?
(a) Two men.
(b) Four men.
(c) One man.
(d) Three men.
10. To what does Mac compare Jim and his on-the-scene training?
(a) Wily foxes.
(b) Observant owls.
(c) Hunting dogs.
(d) Hunted prey.
11. What does Jim reminisce about from his childhood while watching the countryside go by?
(a) A picnic.
(b) Swimming in a lake.
(c) Riding his bike.
(d) Reading a book in a tree.
12. What does Mac say has just happened to the pickers in Torgas Valley that could help incite a riot?
(a) There have been mass layoffs.
(b) The pickers' leader has been incarcerated.
(c) They have been given a pay cut by the Growers' Association.
(d) The pickers have organized a coup.
13. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
(a) The Instigator.
(b) The Du Barry.
(c) The Don Juan.
(d) The Propagandist.
14. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Throw everyone in jail.
(b) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
(c) Bring in extra police.
(d) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
15. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mac warn will happen if Anderson's farm is touched at all?
(a) The whole valley will burn.
(b) The men will gain more power.
(c) The Party will dissolve.
(d) The men will lose faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mac introduce to Jim as the bedroom radical at the house?
2. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
3. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
4. What does the orchard superintendent threaten to do if London does not comply?
5. What is decided that needs to be done at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)