|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Rigid and cold.
(b) Weak in mind.
(c) Sort of dead.
(d) Angry and mean.
2. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Throw everyone in jail.
(b) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
(c) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
(d) Bring in extra police.
3. What does Mac have the men do after the birth so that they can share in the experience and participate.
(a) Take pictures.
(b) Burn the birthing clothes.
(c) Document the birth in a journal.
(d) Gather blankets and pillows.
4. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(a) No one.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
5. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
(c) Does not care.
6. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
(b) Clear thinking.
7. Who stops Jim and Mac on their way back from Anderson's land?
(c) Group of kids.
(d) Three vigilantes.
8. Who does London name as Doc Burton's right-hand-man?
9. What does Mac say has just happened to the pickers in Torgas Valley that could help incite a riot?
(a) There have been mass layoffs.
(b) The pickers' leader has been incarcerated.
(c) They have been given a pay cut by the Growers' Association.
(d) The pickers have organized a coup.
10. What does Jim report to the checker as the cause of the anger among strikers?
(a) Unfair wages.
(b) Unsanitary conditions.
(c) A sack of rotten apples.
(d) Can of bad fish.
11. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
(b) He does delivery work.
(c) He pays dues to the Valley men.
(d) He works both sides.
12. How many people own and oversee the Growers' Association?
(a) Two men.
(b) One man.
(c) Four men.
(d) Three men.
13. What does the orchard superintendent threaten to do if London does not comply?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Blacklist them all.
(c) Banish them from the city.
(d) Jail them for life.
14. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
(a) A tree-topper.
(b) Crop supervisor.
(d) An engineer.
15. What does Mac think turned the deal with Al's father about using his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
(a) Mac's relatability.
(b) His admittance to being a red.
(c) The dogs.
(d) Offering of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is having a baby in a nearby tent where the pickers are camped?
2. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
3. What musical instrument is heard at the end of Chapter 6?
4. What names does London use to refer to Jim and Mac at the end of Chapter 5 when speaking with Dakin?
5. What as Mac sent away for the previous night that he expects the next morning?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)