|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
2. What does Mac have the men do after the birth so that they can share in the experience and participate.
(a) Burn the birthing clothes.
(b) Document the birth in a journal.
(c) Gather blankets and pillows.
(d) Take pictures.
3. What names does London use to refer to Jim and Mac at the end of Chapter 5 when speaking with Dakin?
4. What does Mac say has just happened to the pickers in Torgas Valley that could help incite a riot?
(a) The pickers' leader has been incarcerated.
(b) They have been given a pay cut by the Growers' Association.
(c) There have been mass layoffs.
(d) The pickers have organized a coup.
5. What does Jim admit about the possibility of Lisa dying during the delivery process?
(a) It would have been worth the gamble.
(b) London would never speak to him again.
(c) It would have devastated the men.
(d) It was his greatest fear during the experience.
6. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
(a) He wants a new start, different from everything.
(b) He wants to eventually gain control of the Party.
(c) He wants to avenge his father and mother's deaths.
(d) He wants to infiltrate the Party and destroy it.
7. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
(a) The Du Barry.
(b) The Don Juan.
(c) The Propagandist.
(d) The Instigator.
8. What does Jim wonder that Dan should be doing instead of manual labor?
(a) Working the charity system.
(b) Union work.
9. Who does London name as Doc Burton's right-hand-man?
10. What does Al express concern about while Jim and Mac eat at his Lunch Wagon?
(a) The impending strike.
(b) Purges within the Party.
(c) His father's crop.
(d) Losing customers.
11. What does the orchard superintendent offer London in return for doing what he asks?
(b) A hefty severance sum.
(c) A steady job.
(d) A political position.
12. Who does the checker try to bribe for information at the beginning of Chapter 6?
13. Who does Mac introduce to Jim as the bedroom radical at the house?
14. For what reason does Mac want reassurance from Doc Burton that he has no civil or legal problems?
(b) His financial welfare.
(d) His job.
15. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She was killed by Party opposers.
(c) She wanted to die for the Party.
(d) She thought the world was coming to an end.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Who does Mac tell Jim not to bother trying to convert to the Party?
3. What does Mac admit to feeling good about at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
5. How will Mac get early warning that the scabs have arrived in town?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)