|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mac tell Jim not to bother trying to convert to the Party?
2. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Mac make a speech about that explains why his mother's house was set on fire?
(a) He was followed to his home one night.
(b) He made a speech about people starving.
(c) She was housing Party members.
(d) She was discovered to be related to Mac.
3. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
(a) Lack of competition.
(c) Economic crisis.
(d) Tax inflation.
4. Who is elected chairman of the strikers?
5. What nickname does London give Mac that sticks?
6. What does Mac give to Joy so that he stops bothering Jim's typing?
(a) A book on political warfare.
(b) A copy of New Masses.
(c) A letter from his family.
(d) A documentary film on the Party.
7. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
8. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
(a) The strikers are guaranteed to prevail.
(b) It is the best situation he has seen in a long time.
(c) They will need more than one doctor.
(d) It is a delicate situation and someone could get easily hurt.
9. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The raids on his neighbor's houses.
(b) A public hanging of a Party member.
(c) His sister's disappearance in school.
(d) How the Party first came into existence.
10. Who stops Jim and Mac on their way back from Anderson's land?
(a) Group of kids.
(d) Three vigilantes.
11. To what does Mac compare Jim and his on-the-scene training?
(a) Observant owls.
(b) Hunting dogs.
(c) Hunted prey.
(d) Wily foxes.
12. What is Mac's dream about the the strike and causing a lot of fuss?
(a) The whole district is organized by spring.
(b) The strikers will start their own association.
(c) The Growers' Association will give in to their demands.
(d) The Growers' Association will dissolve.
13. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
(a) He was scared out of his mind.
(b) He did not know what he was doing.
(c) He never worked in a hospital.
(d) He saw how to deliver a baby once on TV.
14. What names does London use to refer to Jim and Mac at the end of Chapter 5 when speaking with Dakin?
15. Why do Harry and Jim decide that using Jim's real name will not be detrimental to Jim's relatives?
(a) Identity is nonexistent within the Party.
(b) Jim does not have any living relatives.
(c) Jim's name is common.
(d) They absolve all names once inducted into the Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy does Mac use when thinking about striking?
2. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
3. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
4. Who does the checker try to bribe for information at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What does Jim report to the checker as the cause of the anger among strikers?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)