|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Bring in extra police.
(b) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
(c) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
(d) Throw everyone in jail.
2. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
(b) They both understood what the Party needs.
(c) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(d) They simply like to fight.
3. At the end of Chapter 1, what does Harry predict will happen to Jim?
(a) Jim will die for the Party.
(b) Jim will take over the Party.
(c) Jim will lose his hatred.
(d) Jim will not enjoy the Party.
4. What is Mac's dream about the the strike and causing a lot of fuss?
(a) The whole district is organized by spring.
(b) The Growers' Association will give in to their demands.
(c) The strikers will start their own association.
(d) The Growers' Association will dissolve.
5. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A freight train.
(b) The subway.
(c) A cop car.
(d) A boat.
6. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
(a) Homeless people.
7. What does Mac tell Jim that makes field work especially dangerous?
(a) Enraged policemen.
(b) The use of automatic weapons.
(c) American Legionnaires.
(d) Tear gas.
8. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
(a) Break into a local store.
(b) Open their safe with the secret stash of money.
(c) Ask for change on the street.
(d) Round up sympathizers.
9. Why does Harry make a point of taking the paper with him when he takes Jim to the house?
(a) He does not want Jim to read it.
(b) The cops go through the place regularly.
(c) He does not want anyone stealing his ideas.
(d) Someone will take the paper if he does not.
10. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
(c) Does not care.
11. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) He does delivery work.
(b) He pays dues to the Valley men.
(c) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
(d) He works both sides.
12. Who does Mac suggest for general chairman because he has a cooler head than London?
(c) Doc Burton.
13. What strategy does Mac use when thinking about striking?
(a) Guerilla tactics.
(b) Immediate and decisive.
(c) The band aid theory.
(d) The long view.
14. What as Mac sent away for the previous night that he expects the next morning?
15. For what does Harry express surprise concerning Jim's past?
(a) Jim's connection to his father, a non-Party member.
(b) Jim's quitting high school.
(c) Jim's lack of connection to the Party thus far.
(d) Jim's quick and sudden submission to the Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is going to be romancing the female sympathizers?
2. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
3. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
4. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
5. What does Jim admit about the possibility of Lisa dying during the delivery process?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)