|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
(a) Let him come back to the rooming house.
(b) Give him back his week's advance.
(c) Write him a good reference.
(d) Help him find a new apartment.
2. What is Mac's dream about the the strike and causing a lot of fuss?
(a) The strikers will start their own association.
(b) The Growers' Association will give in to their demands.
(c) The Growers' Association will dissolve.
(d) The whole district is organized by spring.
3. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(b) They both understood what the Party needs.
(c) They simply like to fight.
(d) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
4. What are the only two punishments of the Party?
(a) Reprimand and expulsion.
(b) Physical punishment and solitary confinement.
(c) Lecture and punishment.
(d) Hard labor and fines.
5. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
(a) A smoke.
(b) A beer.
(c) A gun.
6. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
(a) Party members.
(b) The Growers' Association.
(d) Non-Party members.
7. With what is Joy charged after making a speech on a street corner?
(a) Stabbing a cop in the shoulder with a pocketknife.
(b) Drunk and disorderly.
(c) Public disturbance.
(d) Taking a cop hostage.
8. For what does Harry express surprise concerning Jim's past?
(a) Jim's quitting high school.
(b) Jim's quick and sudden submission to the Party.
(c) Jim's lack of connection to the Party thus far.
(d) Jim's connection to his father, a non-Party member.
9. What strategy does Mac use when thinking about striking?
(a) Immediate and decisive.
(b) The long view.
(c) The band aid theory.
(d) Guerilla tactics.
10. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Bring in extra police.
(b) Throw everyone in jail.
(c) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
(d) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
11. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
(a) Crop supervisor.
(b) A tree-topper.
(d) An engineer.
12. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
(a) Jim's paycheks.
(b) Jim's belongings.
(c) Jim's application.
(d) Jim's dog.
13. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Angry and mean.
(b) Weak in mind.
(c) Rigid and cold.
(d) Sort of dead.
14. Who stops Jim and Mac on their way back from Anderson's land?
(a) Group of kids.
(c) Three vigilantes.
15. What nickname does London give Mac that sticks?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Mac make a speech about that explains why his mother's house was set on fire?
2. How will Mac get early warning that the scabs have arrived in town?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is going to be romancing the female sympathizers?
4. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)