|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
(b) Lack of competition.
(c) Economic crisis.
(d) Tax inflation.
2. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
(a) The Growers' Association.
(b) Non-Party members.
(d) Party members.
3. For what reason does Jim tell Harry that he was jailed for a vagrancy charge?
(a) He had all of his belongings on him at the time.
(b) He was hanging out with homeless people.
(c) He was suspected of being a radical leader.
(d) He was watching a radical's speech in the park.
4. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
(a) He wants to avenge his father and mother's deaths.
(b) He wants to infiltrate the Party and destroy it.
(c) He wants a new start, different from everything.
(d) He wants to eventually gain control of the Party.
5. What happens to Dan when he is trying to get out of the tree?
(a) Breaks his leg.
(b) Breaks his ankle.
(c) Breaks his hip.
(d) Breaks his back.
6. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A boat.
(b) The subway.
(c) A cop car.
(d) A freight train.
7. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She wanted to die for the Party.
(b) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(c) She was killed by Party opposers.
(d) She simply did not want to live.
8. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) A public hanging of a Party member.
(b) How the Party first came into existence.
(c) His sister's disappearance in school.
(d) The raids on his neighbor's houses.
9. What does Mac say is needed on the strikers' camping site in order to keep the camp legal?
(a) Sanitary bathrooms.
(d) A doctor.
10. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Weak in mind.
(b) Angry and mean.
(c) Sort of dead.
(d) Rigid and cold.
11. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
(a) Not fighting the men.
(b) Bluffing to the men.
(c) Soap-boxing to Jim.
(d) Not trying to get the men to join the Party.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
13. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
(b) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(c) They simply like to fight.
(d) They both understood what the Party needs.
14. With what is Joy charged after making a speech on a street corner?
(a) Drunk and disorderly.
(b) Public disturbance.
(c) Taking a cop hostage.
(d) Stabbing a cop in the shoulder with a pocketknife.
15. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
(b) Homeless people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
2. How does Harry describe the life of a Party member to Jim?
3. Who does Mac introduce to Jim as the bedroom radical at the house?
4. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
5. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)