|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mac give to Joy so that he stops bothering Jim's typing?
(a) A letter from his family.
(b) A documentary film on the Party.
(c) A book on political warfare.
(d) A copy of New Masses.
2. What happens to Dan when he is trying to get out of the tree?
(a) Breaks his ankle.
(b) Breaks his hip.
(c) Breaks his back.
(d) Breaks his leg.
3. What ordinance does Mac predict the county will pass in the event of a strike?
(a) Congregation made illegal.
(b) Separate but equal rights for pickers.
(c) Soliciting donations made illegal.
(d) Picking made illegal.
4. Who is having a baby in a nearby tent where the pickers are camped?
(a) Al's daughter.
(b) London's daughter-in-law.
(c) London's daughter.
(d) Al's girlfriend.
5. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
(b) Does not care.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is going to be romancing the female sympathizers?
7. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
(a) Jim's paycheks.
(b) Jim's application.
(c) Jim's dog.
(d) Jim's belongings.
8. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She wanted to die for the Party.
(c) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(d) She was killed by Party opposers.
9. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
(d) Clear thinking.
10. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
(a) Signs his name on Jim's application.
(b) Folds the application into an envelope.
(c) Folds the corner of Jim's application.
(d) Puts Jim's application in an acceptance file.
11. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
(a) It is a delicate situation and someone could get easily hurt.
(b) It is the best situation he has seen in a long time.
(c) They will need more than one doctor.
(d) The strikers are guaranteed to prevail.
12. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
(a) He fought off a police officer's dog.
(b) He tried to break into a non-Party member's home.
(c) He punched a non-Party member too hard.
(d) Non-Party members rode over his hand with a horse.
13. What does Mac mention to the men who want to steal their paper in order to intimidate them?
(a) Rosanna Fights Stadium.
(b) The Growers' Association.
(c) The Party.
(d) The Tandale strike.
14. With what is Joy charged after making a speech on a street corner?
(a) Drunk and disorderly.
(b) Public disturbance.
(c) Stabbing a cop in the shoulder with a pocketknife.
(d) Taking a cop hostage.
15. At the end of Chapter 1, what does Harry predict will happen to Jim?
(a) Jim will not enjoy the Party.
(b) Jim will lose his hatred.
(c) Jim will take over the Party.
(d) Jim will die for the Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim wonder that Dan should be doing instead of manual labor?
2. What musical instrument is heard at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Who does the checker try to bribe for information at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
5. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)