|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Dan when he is trying to get out of the tree?
(a) Breaks his leg.
(b) Breaks his back.
(c) Breaks his hip.
(d) Breaks his ankle.
2. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
(a) Give him back his week's advance.
(b) Write him a good reference.
(c) Help him find a new apartment.
(d) Let him come back to the rooming house.
3. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
4. What is decided that needs to be done at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Jim needs to buy jeans.
(b) They need to buy supplies.
(c) The strikers need to be motivated.
(d) Joy must be freed from jail.
5. What does Al express concern about while Jim and Mac eat at his Lunch Wagon?
(a) The impending strike.
(b) His father's crop.
(c) Purges within the Party.
(d) Losing customers.
6. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
(a) He wants to infiltrate the Party and destroy it.
(b) He wants to avenge his father and mother's deaths.
(c) He wants to eventually gain control of the Party.
(d) He wants a new start, different from everything.
7. What as Mac sent away for the previous night that he expects the next morning?
8. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
(a) Not fighting the men.
(b) Not trying to get the men to join the Party.
(c) Bluffing to the men.
(d) Soap-boxing to Jim.
9. Who organizes the men on Anderson's farm land?
10. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
(a) It is a delicate situation and someone could get easily hurt.
(b) They will need more than one doctor.
(c) The strikers are guaranteed to prevail.
(d) It is the best situation he has seen in a long time.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
12. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
(b) Bring in extra police.
(c) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
(d) Throw everyone in jail.
13. What does Mac mention to the men who want to steal their paper in order to intimidate them?
(a) Rosanna Fights Stadium.
(b) The Party.
(c) The Tandale strike.
(d) The Growers' Association.
14. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) He works both sides.
(b) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
(c) He does delivery work.
(d) He pays dues to the Valley men.
15. To what does Mac compare Jim and his on-the-scene training?
(a) Wily foxes.
(b) Hunting dogs.
(c) Observant owls.
(d) Hunted prey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the checker try to bribe for information at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. Who does Mac introduce to Jim as the bedroom radical at the house?
3. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mac warn will happen if Anderson's farm is touched at all?
4. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
5. What does Mac say has just happened to the pickers in Torgas Valley that could help incite a riot?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)