|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
(a) Not fighting the men.
(b) Soap-boxing to Jim.
(c) Not trying to get the men to join the Party.
(d) Bluffing to the men.
2. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
(c) Does not care.
3. Why do Harry and Jim decide that using Jim's real name will not be detrimental to Jim's relatives?
(a) They absolve all names once inducted into the Party.
(b) Jim does not have any living relatives.
(c) Jim's name is common.
(d) Identity is nonexistent within the Party.
4. What are the only two punishments of the Party?
(a) Hard labor and fines.
(b) Physical punishment and solitary confinement.
(c) Reprimand and expulsion.
(d) Lecture and punishment.
5. Who approaches Jim and Mac saying that the committee wants a report?
(a) The Valley men.
(b) A private detective.
(c) The Growers' Association head.
(d) A troupe of officers.
6. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A boat.
(b) The subway.
(c) A cop car.
(d) A freight train.
7. Who does Mac introduce to Jim as the bedroom radical at the house?
8. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(b) No one.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
9. Who is having a baby in a nearby tent where the pickers are camped?
(a) Al's girlfriend.
(b) London's daughter-in-law.
(c) London's daughter.
(d) Al's daughter.
10. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She was killed by Party opposers.
(b) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(c) She simply did not want to live.
(d) She wanted to die for the Party.
11. What as Mac sent away for the previous night that he expects the next morning?
12. What is Mac's dream about the the strike and causing a lot of fuss?
(a) The Growers' Association will give in to their demands.
(b) The strikers will start their own association.
(c) The Growers' Association will dissolve.
(d) The whole district is organized by spring.
13. What does Jim hear at the end of Chapter 6 before he falls asleep?
(a) An owl hooting.
(b) A rooster crowing.
(c) Men conversing.
(d) A baby crying.
14. What does Jim reminisce about from his childhood while watching the countryside go by?
(a) Riding his bike.
(b) A picnic.
(c) Swimming in a lake.
(d) Reading a book in a tree.
15. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) His sister's disappearance in school.
(b) The raids on his neighbor's houses.
(c) A public hanging of a Party member.
(d) How the Party first came into existence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac think turned the deal with Al's father about using his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
2. Who does Mac suggest for general chairman because he has a cooler head than London?
3. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
4. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
5. How does London react to Mac's suggestion for someone else as general chairman?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)