|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She was killed by Party opposers.
(c) She wanted to die for the Party.
(d) She thought the world was coming to an end.
2. What does Jim wonder that Dan should be doing instead of manual labor?
(a) Working the charity system.
(d) Union work.
3. What does Dakin predict the growers will bring in if the workers organize a strike?
(d) Homeless people.
4. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(b) No one.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
5. What does Jim decline to which Mac responds that Jim has no vices?
(a) A gun.
(b) A smoke.
(d) A beer.
6. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
(a) Jim's belongings.
(b) Jim's application.
(c) Jim's dog.
(d) Jim's paycheks.
7. What does Mac say is needed on the strikers' camping site in order to keep the camp legal?
(a) A doctor.
(d) Sanitary bathrooms.
8. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
(a) Throw everyone in jail.
(b) Pass an ordinance against gathering.
(c) Bring in extra police.
(d) Cave in to the strikers' demands.
9. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
(a) Crop supervisor.
(b) An engineer.
(d) A tree-topper.
10. What does Jim hear at the end of Chapter 6 before he falls asleep?
(a) A baby crying.
(b) A rooster crowing.
(c) An owl hooting.
(d) Men conversing.
11. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
(a) Rigid and cold.
(b) Weak in mind.
(c) Angry and mean.
(d) Sort of dead.
12. What as Mac sent away for the previous night that he expects the next morning?
13. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
(a) Puts Jim's application in an acceptance file.
(b) Folds the application into an envelope.
(c) Signs his name on Jim's application.
(d) Folds the corner of Jim's application.
14. Who does the checker try to bribe for information at the beginning of Chapter 6?
15. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
(a) His father's meaningless death.
(b) The numerous books he has read.
(c) The five men he met in jail.
(d) A distaste for ordinary, meaningless life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the only two punishments of the Party?
2. What does Jim reminisce about from his childhood while watching the countryside go by?
3. What does Mac think turned the deal with Al's father about using his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
4. What is decided that needs to be done at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)