|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dan feel about the group of strikers and union about to form?
(a) Does not care.
2. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
(a) Lack of competition.
(c) Tax inflation.
(d) Economic crisis.
3. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(a) His father.
(b) No one.
(c) His mother.
4. What musical instrument is heard at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) A guitar.
(c) A violin.
(d) A drum.
5. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mac warn will happen if Anderson's farm is touched at all?
(a) The men will gain more power.
(b) The Party will dissolve.
(c) The whole valley will burn.
(d) The men will lose faith.
6. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A freight train.
(b) The subway.
(c) A boat.
(d) A cop car.
7. Where does Mac hope that a potential riot among the pickers could spread to?
8. What does Mac think turned the deal with Al's father about using his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
(a) The dogs.
(b) His admittance to being a red.
(c) Offering of money.
(d) Mac's relatability.
9. For what does Harry express surprise concerning Jim's past?
(a) Jim's quick and sudden submission to the Party.
(b) Jim's quitting high school.
(c) Jim's connection to his father, a non-Party member.
(d) Jim's lack of connection to the Party thus far.
10. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Mac make a speech about that explains why his mother's house was set on fire?
(a) He was followed to his home one night.
(b) He made a speech about people starving.
(c) She was housing Party members.
(d) She was discovered to be related to Mac.
11. What does Mac say is needed on the strikers' camping site in order to keep the camp legal?
(b) Sanitary bathrooms.
(c) A doctor.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is going to be romancing the female sympathizers?
13. What does Mac say has just happened to the pickers in Torgas Valley that could help incite a riot?
(a) There have been mass layoffs.
(b) The pickers' leader has been incarcerated.
(c) The pickers have organized a coup.
(d) They have been given a pay cut by the Growers' Association.
14. What nickname does London give Mac that sticks?
15. Why is Dakin better off than most other migrant workers?
(a) He pays dues to the Valley men.
(b) His wife comes from a wealthy family.
(c) He does delivery work.
(d) He works both sides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
2. What are Jim and Mac doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
4. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
5. What does Mac admit to Jim after delivering Lisa's baby?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)