|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They both understood what the Party needs.
(b) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
(c) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(d) They simply like to fight.
2. What does Jim tell Mac influenced him to join the Party?
(a) The five men he met in jail.
(b) A distaste for ordinary, meaningless life.
(c) The numerous books he has read.
(d) His father's meaningless death.
3. What does Mac give to Joy so that he stops bothering Jim's typing?
(a) A documentary film on the Party.
(b) A book on political warfare.
(c) A copy of New Masses.
(d) A letter from his family.
4. What is decided that needs to be done at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) They need to buy supplies.
(b) Jim needs to buy jeans.
(c) The strikers need to be motivated.
(d) Joy must be freed from jail.
5. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
(a) Clear thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
2. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
3. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
4. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
5. What does Mac lament doing after the men who try to steal their paper leave?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)