|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Mac make a speech about that explains why his mother's house was set on fire?
(a) She was discovered to be related to Mac.
(b) He made a speech about people starving.
(c) She was housing Party members.
(d) He was followed to his home one night.
2. What do Jim and Mac catch a ride on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A freight train.
(b) A cop car.
(c) A boat.
(d) The subway.
3. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
(a) Signs his name on Jim's application.
(b) Folds the application into an envelope.
(c) Puts Jim's application in an acceptance file.
(d) Folds the corner of Jim's application.
4. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
(a) Non-Party members rode over his hand with a horse.
(b) He tried to break into a non-Party member's home.
(c) He punched a non-Party member too hard.
(d) He fought off a police officer's dog.
5. Why does Harry make a point of taking the paper with him when he takes Jim to the house?
(a) Someone will take the paper if he does not.
(b) The cops go through the place regularly.
(c) He does not want anyone stealing his ideas.
(d) He does not want Jim to read it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
2. For what reason does Jim tell Harry that he was jailed for a vagrancy charge?
3. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
4. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What does Mac mention to the men who want to steal their paper in order to intimidate them?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)