|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
(a) Non-Party members rode over his hand with a horse.
(b) He fought off a police officer's dog.
(c) He punched a non-Party member too hard.
(d) He tried to break into a non-Party member's home.
2. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
(a) They were both hit too many times in the head.
(b) They were/are willing to die for the Party.
(c) They both understood what the Party needs.
(d) They simply like to fight.
3. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Mac make a speech about that explains why his mother's house was set on fire?
(a) She was discovered to be related to Mac.
(b) He made a speech about people starving.
(c) He was followed to his home one night.
(d) She was housing Party members.
4. To what does Mac compare Jim and his on-the-scene training?
(a) Hunted prey.
(b) Hunting dogs.
(c) Observant owls.
(d) Wily foxes.
5. What does Mac claim will do Jim no good without on-the-scene training and experience?
(a) All of the books he has read.
(b) Hatred for the rat race.
(c) Passion for the cause.
(d) Physical ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
2. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
4. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
5. How Jim describe his mother following her change in demeanor during his childhood?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)