|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Harry describe the life of a Party member to Jim?
(a) Becoming a robot that is controlled by the Party.
(b) A life of hard work and poverty.
(c) An unparalleled and enoyable existence.
(d) An easier life than that of non-Party members.
2. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
(a) Round up sympathizers.
(b) Break into a local store.
(c) Ask for change on the street.
(d) Open their safe with the secret stash of money.
3. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
(a) He wants to avenge his father and mother's deaths.
(b) He wants a new start, different from everything.
(c) He wants to eventually gain control of the Party.
(d) He wants to infiltrate the Party and destroy it.
4. For what reason does Jim tell Harry that he was jailed for a vagrancy charge?
(a) He was suspected of being a radical leader.
(b) He had all of his belongings on him at the time.
(c) He was hanging out with homeless people.
(d) He was watching a radical's speech in the park.
5. What does Mac give to Joy so that he stops bothering Jim's typing?
(a) A documentary film on the Party.
(b) A letter from his family.
(c) A book on political warfare.
(d) A copy of New Masses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
2. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What does Jim claim men can gain from doing such work that the Party has them do?
4. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
5. Who is having a baby in a nearby tent where the pickers are camped?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)