1. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
(a) Help him find a new apartment.
(b) Let him come back to the rooming house.
(c) Give him back his week's advance.
(d) Write him a good reference.
2. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
(a) Jim's paycheks.
(b) Jim's belongings.
(c) Jim's dog.
(d) Jim's application.
3. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) No one.
4. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
(a) Puts Jim's application in an acceptance file.
(b) Folds the application into an envelope.
(c) Folds the corner of Jim's application.
(d) Signs his name on Jim's application.
5. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She simply did not want to live.
(b) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(c) She wanted to die for the Party.
(d) She was killed by Party opposers.
This section contains 4,695 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)