1. What does Jim Nolan understand that his landlady will not do when he leaves the rooming house?
(a) Give him back his week's advance.
(b) Let him come back to the rooming house.
(c) Help him find a new apartment.
(d) Write him a good reference.
2. What does Harry Nilson have of Jim's when Jim reaches his office?
(a) Jim's dog.
(b) Jim's belongings.
(c) Jim's application.
(d) Jim's paycheks.
3. Who does Jim claim is his reason for wanting to join the Party?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) No one.
4. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
(a) Folds the application into an envelope.
(b) Signs his name on Jim's application.
(c) Folds the corner of Jim's application.
(d) Puts Jim's application in an acceptance file.
5. Why does Jim think his mother died while he was in jail for a vagrancy charge?
(a) She thought the world was coming to an end.
(b) She was killed by Party opposers.
(c) She wanted to die for the Party.
(d) She simply did not want to live.
This section contains 4,695 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)