* Jim Nolan leaves his boarding house and heads for Harry Nilson's office.
* Harry looks over Jim's application.
* Jim explains that he watched his father fight alone and lose, which is why he wants to join the Party.
* Jim's mother died, while Jim was in jail on vagrancy charges; he believes she died simply because she no longer wanted to live.
* Jim was incarcerated because he was watching a speech in the park one day.
* The police accused him of attending a radical meeting and hit him over the head.
* Jim wants a new start and believes the hard work of the Party is for him after having met Party members in jail.
* Jim did not finish high school but reads a lot and has nothing to lose.
* Jim is introduced to Mac, Dick, and Joy.
* Joy is not altogether there because he has been hit in...
This section contains 2,256 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)