• Jim Nolan leaves his boarding house and heads for Harry Nilson's office.
• Harry looks over Jim's application.
• Jim explains that he watched his father fight alone and lose, which is why he wants to join the Party.
• Jim's mother died, while Jim was in jail on vagrancy charges; he believes she died simply because she no longer wanted to live.
• Jim was incarcerated because he was watching a speech in the park one day.
• The police accused him of attending a radical meeting and hit him over the head.
• Jim wants a new start and believes the hard work of the Party is for him after having met Party members in jail.
• Jim did not finish high school but reads a lot and has nothing to lose.
• Jim is introduced to Mac, Dick, and Joy.
• Joy is not altogether there because he has been hit in...
This section contains 2,440 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)