|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose table does Maryna sit at the Polka Saloon?
2. What do Maryna and Warnock do to solve the problem?
3. To what does Barton change Maryna's name?
4. What happens to Edwin Booth at McVicker's Theatre in Chicago?
5. What promise does Maryna make to Piotr when arrives in New York from months in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maryna admired Edwin Booth from the time of her childhood. After her performance with him, she joins him in his apartment. What does she learn about Booth in this chapter?
2. How does Maryna compare her partners on the commune to actors?
3. In Chapter Seven, the narrator says "and she would tell many lies." Why does Maryna begin to tell lies? What does she lie about? What are some of the lies she tells and to whom?
4. How does Maryna meet Miss Collingridge? When do they meet a second time? What happens after this second meeting?
5. Edwin professes to Maryna that there are no happy endings and that an ending is anticlimactic. What does he mean by this?
6. Maryna and her troupe continue their tour across America to packed theatres and adoring audiences. What does Mr Warnock suggest in order to facilitate one night stands across the country? How does this change the tone of her trip across country? What is the name lettered in gold on the car?
7. In Chapter Six, many of the characters take on new names. Who are they and what are their new names? How does Maryna react to this change?
8. What does Edwin Booth have in his possession named Philo Perkins? What is the story behind Philo Perkins?
9. Maryna and her family travel back to Poland to see their friends and family. How does the author tell the story of their trip? What comes across in the description of the visit? What important pieces of information are presented?
10. In his love letter to Maryna in which he asks her to travel with him, Ryzard refers to Jack Goodyear, a squatter Ryszard has met in the mountains. Jack Goodyear explains to Ryszard that "sometimes it seems to him as though there were two Jacks." What does Goodyear mean by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edwin Booth's monologue finishes the novel. He has not been a character in the book, nor does he know any of the characters in the novel except Maryna. Why has the author chosen to end the book on this note? Is there a climax to the novel, and if so, where did it take place?
Essay Topic 2
Maryna spends time touring in England. How is she received in England? How does she react to the English? What is the gist of the conversation she has with Henry James at the dinner party given by Lady Wolsington?
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, the narrator says "the past is the biggest country of all" and expresses the wish to set stories in the past. Discuss this quote and it's relevance to the novel.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)