|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Good H and Bad H?
2. What has plagued the fields of the commune?
3. Who does Maryna dream about on their first night on their land?
4. What do the immigrants have for their first meal in the new home?
5. Who is supposed to be the great actor of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maryna admired Edwin Booth from the time of her childhood. After her performance with him, she joins him in his apartment. What does she learn about Booth in this chapter?
2. Edwin Booth talks about his father and his brother, John Booth. What does he reveal about these two important figures in his life?
3. In his love letter to Maryna in which he asks her to travel with him, Ryzard refers to Jack Goodyear, a squatter Ryszard has met in the mountains. Jack Goodyear explains to Ryszard that "sometimes it seems to him as though there were two Jacks." What does Goodyear mean by this?
4. Mr. Warnock uses a devise by which he fills the theatre. What does he do, and why? How does Maryna react to it? Does it work?
5. What does Edwin Booth have in his possession named Philo Perkins? What is the story behind Philo Perkins?
6. During his monologue, Edwin tells Marina why he suffers. What explanations does he give for his suffering? Would he rather not suffer?
7. Maryna hires Eliza Withington to take a photograph of the group. Why does she do this? What conversation takes place between Eliza and Maryna after the photo shoot? How does the photo turn out?
8. What does Maryna choose to use as her audition material for Mr. Barton? How does the audition go? How does the author describe Marya's return to the stage? What do we learn about Maryna?
9. In Chapter Seven, Maryna moves to San Francisco to return to the stage. How does she settle into San Francisco? Where does she live first? To where and how does she move? What is her goal?
10. How does Maryna compare her partners on the commune to actors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on the ship to America, the narrator describes Ryszard as actually being two people. Who are these two people inside of him, and how do they coexist to define Ryszard? Is this a universal theme, or one unique to Ryszard?
Essay Topic 2
How does Maryna treat the men in her life, including her son, Piotr? Does she take any of them seriously? What examples from the book support her love for the men in her life? How does this contrast with the way men treat her?
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, the narrator says "the past is the biggest country of all" and expresses the wish to set stories in the past. Discuss this quote and it's relevance to the novel.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)