|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Booth tells Maryna she will find a picture or a bust of who in every room of the house?
(a) Sarah Bernhardt.
(d) Booth himself.
2. Who does Cyprian introduce to Bogdan?
(a) Dr. Lorenz of Societas Edenica.
(b) Dr. Lucas of Societas Edenica.
(c) Dr. Morgus of the local village.
(d) Dr. Williams of San Francisco.
3. What does Maryna do during her three weeks in Paris?
(a) Visit with old friends from New York now living in Paris.
(b) Create new costumes, sit for a portrait, and see Sarah Bernhardt acting.
(c) Act with Sarah Bernhardt at the Met.
(d) Shop for clothing, get her hair styled, and attend the theatre.
4. What do Maryna and Warnock do to solve the problem?
(a) Get Maryna a private airplane.
(b) Get Maryna her own private railroad car.
(c) Get Maryna her own bus.
(d) Book fewer performances.
5. To where does Maryna move four days before her opening performance?
(a) To the top floor of the Palance Hotel.
(b) To the top floor of the Plaza Hotel.
(c) To the top floor of the Mayfield Hotel.
(d) To the top floor of the Ritz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booth's father do in the wings before going on stage?
2. Which roles does Edwin Booth enjoy playing the most?
3. What new habit has Bogdan acquired since last seeing Maryna?
4. Which two members of the commune are interested in the new commune north of them?
5. When Bogdan makes his last journal entry in mid-June, what has happened to the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maryna compare her partners on the commune to actors?
2. When Wanda attempts suicide, how do the members of the commune react to her attempt?
3. Maryna and her family travel back to Poland to see their friends and family. How does the author tell the story of their trip? What comes across in the description of the visit? What important pieces of information are presented?
4. Maryna admired Edwin Booth from the time of her childhood. After her performance with him, she joins him in his apartment. What does she learn about Booth in this chapter?
5. Edwin professes to Maryna that there are no happy endings and that an ending is anticlimactic. What does he mean by this?
6. In Chapter Seven, Bogdan injures himself and cannot come to San Francisco. What happens between Ryszard and Maryna? How do they change? What happens to their relationship by the end of the chapter?
7. What is the history of the land on which Maryna and her group settle? What is the primary crop of the land?
8. At the end of Chapter Eight, Maryna and Bogdan have a conversation about their relationship. What has each come to recognize about his and herself and about each other? Does this seem genuine on both of their parts?
9. What story does Ryszard write based on the events at the circus? What is his purpose for writing his story?
10. In Chapter Seven, Maryna moves to San Francisco to return to the stage. How does she settle into San Francisco? Where does she live first? To where and how does she move? What is her goal?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)