|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the star in Paris that haunts Maryna?
(a) Sarah Bernhardt.
(b) Katherine Hepburn.
(c) Coco Channel.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
2. What name has Piotr been given in school?
(c) Small boy.
3. Who comes to visit the commune from San Francisco?
(a) The Dowanger Countess.
(b) Heinrich Zakowski.
(c) Edwin Booth.
(d) Bruno Halek.
4. What has plagued the fields of the commune?
5. What is the question Ryszard finally asks Maryna the night after hearing Minnie's story?
(a) If she is going to let him stay with her.
(b) If she is going back to New York.
(c) If she loves him.
(d) If she is returning to Bogdan in California.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maryna do during her three weeks in Paris?
2. Who is supposed to be the great actor of the family?
3. How does Maryna burn her hand?
4. Who is Miss Collingridge?
5. From what Shakespearean play does Maryna quote to Halek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maryna define utopia? How does it compare to a marriage in her mind?
2. In Chapter Seven, Maryna moves to San Francisco to return to the stage. How does she settle into San Francisco? Where does she live first? To where and how does she move? What is her goal?
3. What does Julian's wife, Wanda, do when she arrives on their land? How is this typical of the character as she is portrayed by the narrator?
4. Mr. Warnock uses a devise by which he fills the theatre. What does he do, and why? How does Maryna react to it? Does it work?
5. In Chapter Six, many of the characters take on new names. Who are they and what are their new names? How does Maryna react to this change?
6. What is the history of the land on which Maryna and her group settle? What is the primary crop of the land?
7. In Chapter Eight, Maryna talks about her "newly reconstituted family." Who are the members of the family, and what roles do each of these people play in Maryna's life? What does Maryna declare to Bogdan about her life with this family?
8. Maryna and her troupe continue their tour across America to packed theatres and adoring audiences. What does Mr Warnock suggest in order to facilitate one night stands across the country? How does this change the tone of her trip across country? What is the name lettered in gold on the car?
9. How does Maryna meet Miss Collingridge? When do they meet a second time? What happens after this second meeting?
10. In Chapter Seven, the narrator says "and she would tell many lies." Why does Maryna begin to tell lies? What does she lie about? What are some of the lies she tells and to whom?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)