|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Booth say he talk so much about his father?
(a) To talk about his brother John makes him furious.
(b) To talk about his brother John makes him cry.
(c) To talk about anything else is pointless.
(d) To talk about anyone else is boring.
2. What are the words Maryna at the end of the book?
(a) "That's enough, Edwin, dear Edwin. Stop, Edwin."
(b) "I no longer want to act with you on the stage."
(c) "I have fallen in love with you since I was a child."
(d) "You remind me of Ryszard, my love."
3. What is in the telegram Maryna receives from Bogdan?
(a) He and Piotr missed their train and will not be coming until later.
(b) He has decided to stay on the land and try again.
(c) He has had an accident and will not be coming to San Francisco.
(d) He has met someone else and will not be coming to San Francisco.
4. What does Bogdan become interested in while recovering from his accident in California?
(b) Flying machines.
5. What two pieces is Maryna performing for the third week of her New York engagement?
(a) Othello and Macbeth.
(b) As You Like It and Adrienne.
(c) Romeo and Juliet, and As You Like It.
(d) Camille and Adrienne.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maryna burn her hand?
2. What is the first line of Richard III?
3. What name has Piotr been given in school?
4. Which roles does Edwin Booth enjoy playing the most?
5. Who comes to visit the commune from San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ryszard offers to take Bogdan and Maryna on a trip to San Bernardinos. Does Bogdan go on the trip? How does he feel about Maryna and Ryzsard alone on the trip?
2. How does Booth treat Maryna in his monologue? Why does she suffer his verbal abuses?
3. What does Maryna choose to use as her audition material for Mr. Barton? How does the audition go? How does the author describe Marya's return to the stage? What do we learn about Maryna?
4. In his love letter to Maryna in which he asks her to travel with him, Ryzard refers to Jack Goodyear, a squatter Ryszard has met in the mountains. Jack Goodyear explains to Ryszard that "sometimes it seems to him as though there were two Jacks." What does Goodyear mean by this?
5. Describe the immigrants' first night on their land in Anaheim, California.
6. Edwin Booth talks about his father and his brother, John Booth. What does he reveal about these two important figures in his life?
7. During his monologue, Edwin tells Marina why he suffers. What explanations does he give for his suffering? Would he rather not suffer?
8. What does Edwin Booth have in his possession named Philo Perkins? What is the story behind Philo Perkins?
9. Maryna hires Eliza Withington to take a photograph of the group. Why does she do this? What conversation takes place between Eliza and Maryna after the photo shoot? How does the photo turn out?
10. Maryna admired Edwin Booth from the time of her childhood. After her performance with him, she joins him in his apartment. What does she learn about Booth in this chapter?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)