|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what play does Maryna choose a part for her audition?
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Adirenne Lecouvreur.
2. What does Maryna do during her three weeks in Paris?
(a) Create new costumes, sit for a portrait, and see Sarah Bernhardt acting.
(b) Visit with old friends from New York now living in Paris.
(c) Shop for clothing, get her hair styled, and attend the theatre.
(d) Act with Sarah Bernhardt at the Met.
3. How do the playbills for Maryna's New York debut read?
(a) Countess Zaloweska of Warsaw.
(b) Countess Maryna of Poland.
(c) Countess Zalenska of the Royal Theatre in Krakow.
(d) Countess Zalenska of the Russian Imperial Theatre, Warsaw.
4. How does Maryna burn her hand?
(a) On a hot stone.
(b) On a hot cup of tea.
(c) Over the fire.
(d) On a match.
5. To where does Maryna travel for her first performances outside of San Francisco?
(a) Salt Lake City, Utah.
(b) Virginia City, Nevada.
(c) Kansas City, Kansas.
(d) Los Angeles, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maryna finally get to perform with on stage?
2. Who is supposed to be the great actor of the family?
3. While visiting with Maryna in Poland, what does Henryk say to her?
4. Which roles does Edwin Booth enjoy playing the most?
5. What does Bogdan become interested in while recovering from his accident in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. During his monologue, Edwin tells Marina why he suffers. What explanations does he give for his suffering? Would he rather not suffer?
2. What does Julian's wife, Wanda, do when she arrives on their land? How is this typical of the character as she is portrayed by the narrator?
3. What does Maryna choose to use as her audition material for Mr. Barton? How does the audition go? How does the author describe Marya's return to the stage? What do we learn about Maryna?
4. Maryna and her family travel back to Poland to see their friends and family. How does the author tell the story of their trip? What comes across in the description of the visit? What important pieces of information are presented?
5. In Chapter Six, the communal group begins to break up. Where do people go? Does anyone join another commune? Do any of the group remain in California?
6. In Chapter Seven, Maryna moves to San Francisco to return to the stage. How does she settle into San Francisco? Where does she live first? To where and how does she move? What is her goal?
7. Maryna hires Eliza Withington to take a photograph of the group. Why does she do this? What conversation takes place between Eliza and Maryna after the photo shoot? How does the photo turn out?
8. Ryszard offers to take Bogdan and Maryna on a trip to San Bernardinos. Does Bogdan go on the trip? How does he feel about Maryna and Ryzsard alone on the trip?
9. At the end of Chapter Eight, Maryna and Bogdan have a conversation about their relationship. What has each come to recognize about his and herself and about each other? Does this seem genuine on both of their parts?
10. Edwin Booth talks about his father and his brother, John Booth. What does he reveal about these two important figures in his life?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)