|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character in Middlemarch does the narrator compare to Maryna?
(a) Mary Garth.
(b) Celia Chettam.
(c) Dorothea Brooke.
(d) Mrs. Dollop.
2. When does Maryna first meet Bogdan's grandmother?
(a) In 1870 when she and Bogdan are to be wed.
(b) In 1930 when she and Bogdan are to be wed.
(c) In 1915 when they all leave for America.
(d) In 1840 when Piotr is first born.
3. What happens to the Schobert family of Henryk's story?
(a) They all move to Brook Farm.
(b) They all die, except a three year old, of poisoning.
(c) They all die on the way to California.
(d) They all survive a stomach flu.
4. Of what do Maryna and Henryk speak the day after her performance?
(a) Love and marriage.
(b) Past and future.
(c) Depression and fatalism.
(d) Paradise and will.
5. What is the name of the hotel in which Julian and Ryszard stay in New York City?
(a) Plaza Hotel.
(b) Browns Hotel.
(c) Central Hotel.
(d) St Regis Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played one of the principle roles in the first play Maryna sees in a theatre?
2. During what play was Lincoln assassinated?
3. Who is the man described as sitting on a couch writing in a notebook?
4. Who does Maryna rush back to Krakow to see?
5. What is the name of the boarder in Maryna's home who later becomes her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once on board the ship, the narrator gives a detailed description of the steerage section of the ship. What is the steerage section, who travels steerage, and what stigma does it hold?
2. While Maryna and her husband are busy selling their house and preparing to leave for America, a member of Maryna's family dies. Who is this person, and why is the death so upsetting for Maryna? Who else is present at the death? Where does Maryna go after the death?
3. Who does Ryszard meet in the lounge of a whorehouse in New York City? What is important about the introduction Ryszard makes to the man? What do the two men talk about? What important thing does the man confirm for Ryszard?
4. The narrator explains that she is not particularly intelligent. What else does she say about herself?
5. In Chapter Zero, the narrator gives us a picture of Maryna by quoting her saying "we must always ask more of ourselves." What conclusions does the narrator draw from this statement and Maryna's behavior at the party?
6. Maryna relates the story of her childhood to various people in Chapter One. Discuss her childhood and the influences on her life.
7. While hiding at the celebration party, the narrator pieces together the people in the room and the subject of their discussions. What does she gather about the people in the room and the plan underway?
8. On his passage to America, Ryszard spends time listening to English speaking passengers. He meets many Americans. How does he describe the American attitude about their country? How does this differ from the way Ryszard sees himself as a Pole?
9. According to her monologue at the end of Chapter One, why is Maryna ready to leave acting and try something new?
10. Maryna prepares for her departure from the stage. What engagements does she cancel, and what do the critics say about this? Why has she chosen Zakopane, and who has she asked to accompany her there?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)