|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the story set?
(a) Late 1700's.
(b) Early 1800's.
(c) Late 1800's.
(d) Early 1920's.
2. Why does Maryna declare "you have waited so long."
(a) The performance ran late.
(b) She has been gone for a long time.
(c) She is beginning to recite a poem.
(d) Dinner was served after 11 pm.
3. What Shakespearean play is Maryna reciting at dinner?
(a) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) As You Like It.
4. What does Henryk teach Piotr when he comes to visit?
(a) How to shoot a gun.
(c) How to bake a cake.
(d) How to bandage a dog's paw.
5. Who does the dinner conversation center around?
(a) Praise for the sumptuous meal.
(b) Praise for Winston Churchill.
(c) Praise for the Polish king.
(d) Praise for Maryna's performance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played one of the principle roles in the first play Maryna sees in a theatre?
2. What is Nipu?
3. What is the name of the ship sailing to America?
4. Who is the man described as sitting on a couch writing in a notebook?
5. What do the men purchase in the village before leaving Zakopane?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator explains that she is not particularly intelligent. What else does she say about herself?
2. In Chapter One, what scene does Maryna give Krystyna to act out? Why?
3. After her performance in Chapter One, Maryna dresses and is accompanied by Bogdan to the Hotel Saski. Why are they going to the Saski? What are they celebrating? Where is the narrator?
4. How does Maryna talk about the passenger who went overboard on the ship? Why does she talk so much about the incident? What are her speculations as to what happened? What are her feelings?
5. Before leaving for America, Maryna and Bogdan go to say goodbye to his grandmother, the Dowanger Countess. What transpires in this meeting? How does the Dowanger Countess welcome the couple? What words of advise does she give them?
6. The first of the immigrants to leave, Julian and Ryszard travel together to America. What is Ryszard anticipating for the trip? What kind of man does he hope to be when he lands in America?
7. What are some of the toasts given at the celebration dinner table? To whom are they directed? What is Bogdan's toast about? Maryna's?
8. Henryk's farewell gift to Maryna when she leaves for America is a book. What is the title of the book, and what is Maryna's response to the book?
9. How do the Saloon passengers gain entry into America? How do the steerage passengers leave the ship? How do Julian and Ryszard leave the ship, and where do they go?
10. Who does Maryna see in Bremen? What is the purpose of their meeting? How does Maryna feel at the end of the meeting?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)