|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what play was Lincoln assassinated?
(a) A Man for All Seasons.
(b) Our Town.
(c) Our Right to Fight
(d) Our American Cousin.
2. Who is the man described as sitting on a couch writing in a notebook?
3. Who slaps Maryna across the face?
(a) Her sister, Gasla Zoven.
(b) Her husband, Bogdan.
(c) Her rival, Gabriela Ebert.
(d) Her son, Piotr.
4. What does Julian tell Ryszard he dreams of doing in America?
(a) Getting involved in politics.
(b) Disappearing from his wife.
(c) Raising children.
(d) Opening a dry goods store.
5. How old is Maryna?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maryna describe the change in her since beginning the trip to America?
2. When do Ryszard and Julian leave for America?
3. What happens on the ship to draw Maryna's attention away from her introspection?
4. How long do the newer steamships take to cross the Atlantic to America?
5. In her letter, what does Maryna identify as her one complaint about New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maryna relates the story of her childhood to various people in Chapter One. Discuss her childhood and the influences on her life.
2. While hiding at the celebration party, the narrator pieces together the people in the room and the subject of their discussions. What does she gather about the people in the room and the plan underway?
3. After her performance in Chapter One, Maryna dresses and is accompanied by Bogdan to the Hotel Saski. Why are they going to the Saski? What are they celebrating? Where is the narrator?
4. How does Maryna talk about the passenger who went overboard on the ship? Why does she talk so much about the incident? What are her speculations as to what happened? What are her feelings?
5. Who does Maryna see in Bremen? What is the purpose of their meeting? How does Maryna feel at the end of the meeting?
6. In Chapter Four, Maryna explains that in some places, the oldest is best. However, in America she says "biggest is best." What does she mean by this? What does she see that supports her observation? Is she displeased by this?
7. Maryna prepares for her departure from the stage. What engagements does she cancel, and what do the critics say about this? Why has she chosen Zakopane, and who has she asked to accompany her there?
8. In Chapter One, what scene does Maryna give Krystyna to act out? Why?
9. How does Maryna relate to Henryk the family doctor in Chapter Two? What is their relationship? How does Maryna feel about him? How does she treat him?
10. Why does Maryna go to Henryk's office in Chapter One? What do we learn about her brother Stefan? What do we learn about Maryna?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)