|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bogdan offer as a toast?
(a) "The performance of a lifetime."
(b) "Togetherness and happiness."
(c) "Friendship and solidarity."
(d) "Break a leg!"
2. How does Stefan die?
3. What does Ryszard give to Maryna after her performance?
(a) A bouquet of roses.
(b) A bouquet of orchids.
(c) A bouquet of silk flowers.
(d) A bouquet of peonies.
4. At the celebration party, what language is being spoken by the guests?
5. How long do the newer steamships take to cross the Atlantic to America?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) A month.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maryna realize about her ex-husband?
2. In her letter, what does Maryna identify as her one complaint about New York City?
3. How long is the train trip Julian and Ryszard take to get to their final destination in America?
4. Who played one of the principle roles in the first play Maryna sees in a theatre?
5. Where does the man in the brothel bar tell Ryszard to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Henryk's farewell gift to Maryna when she leaves for America is a book. What is the title of the book, and what is Maryna's response to the book?
2. Who does Maryna see in Bremen? What is the purpose of their meeting? How does Maryna feel at the end of the meeting?
3. How do the Saloon passengers gain entry into America? How do the steerage passengers leave the ship? How do Julian and Ryszard leave the ship, and where do they go?
4. What are some of the toasts given at the celebration dinner table? To whom are they directed? What is Bogdan's toast about? Maryna's?
5. In Chapter Zero, the narrator gives us a picture of Maryna by quoting her saying "we must always ask more of ourselves." What conclusions does the narrator draw from this statement and Maryna's behavior at the party?
6. Before leaving for America, Maryna and Bogdan go to say goodbye to his grandmother, the Dowanger Countess. What transpires in this meeting? How does the Dowanger Countess welcome the couple? What words of advise does she give them?
7. To whom does Maryna write in Chapter Four? Where is she as the letter begins? Where does she go during the course of the letter? Where is she at the end of the letter? Why does the author choose a letter narration in this chapter?
8. While he is in the steerage section of the ship, Ryszard is brought by a deckhand to meet a bedraggled man. This man offers his niece, Nora, to Ryszard. What kinds of emotions does Ryszard have while below the ship in steerage? How does this experience change him?
9. The first of the immigrants to leave, Julian and Ryszard travel together to America. What is Ryszard anticipating for the trip? What kind of man does he hope to be when he lands in America?
10. How does Maryna talk about the passenger who went overboard on the ship? Why does she talk so much about the incident? What are her speculations as to what happened? What are her feelings?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)