|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Good H and Bad H?
(a) Henryk and Heinrich.
(b) Henryk and Haldoff.
(c) Hollis and Hylford.
(d) Henry and Hank.
2. How does Mr. Barton respond to Maryna's audition?
(a) He offers her as many weeks on the stage as she would like.
(b) He applauds and tells her he will get back to her.
(c) He tells her goodbye.
(d) He leaves the theatre and says nothing.
3. What did Maryna buy for Aniela to wear in the photograph?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A red plaid blouse.
(c) A white bibbed apron.
(d) A black sweater.
4. What interruption plagues Maryna in her debut that causes her to toss it out of a window?
(a) A cooing dove.
(b) A sqawking parrot.
(c) A squeaking chair.
(d) A chirping canary.
5. Which roles does Edwin Booth enjoy playing the most?
(a) Sage teachers.
(b) Romantic heroes.
6. When Bogdan makes his last journal entry in mid-June, what has happened to the commune?
(a) Everyone has begun to leave, including Maryna.
(b) The land has been sold out from under them.
(c) The neighboring commune has asked them to join together.
(d) They have been given money to open a winery.
7. What is one reason Julian and Ryszard chose the spot they had for the commune?
(a) Its cattle ranch.
(b) Its large kitchen.
(c) Its large living quarters.
(d) Its proximity to a German community.
8. What kind of healthy dessert does Daunta learn to make and prepare for the immigrants?
(a) Cheesecake made with tofu.
(b) Custard flavored with chocolate.
(c) Custard flavored with strawberry juice.
(d) Shortcake made with soy
9. What new habit has Bogdan acquired since last seeing Maryna?
(c) Biting his nails.
10. How is the theatre lit on the night of Maryna's premiere?
(a) With gas lights.
(b) With halogen bulbs.
(c) With neon.
(d) With candlelight.
11. Why did Booth's mother send him away at age fourteen?
(a) She sent him off to college.
(b) She sent him off to live with a rich uncle.
(c) She sent him off to boarding school.
(d) She sent him off to be his father's dresser and companion.
12. What song does Barbara sing all day, the only one she knows in English"
(a) Suwanee River.
(b) Three Blind Mice.
(c) Old Man River.
(d) Old McDonald.
13. What is Bogdan's new name?
14. How long did Booth's retirement last?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Less than six months.
(c) Six years.
(d) Two years.
15. Why does Booth say he talk so much about his father?
(a) To talk about anyone else is boring.
(b) To talk about his brother John makes him cry.
(c) To talk about his brother John makes him furious.
(d) To talk about anything else is pointless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question Ryszard finally asks Maryna the night after hearing Minnie's story?
2. What happens to Edwin Booth at McVicker's Theatre in Chicago?
3. At whose table does Maryna sit at the Polka Saloon?
4. What has plagued the fields of the commune?
5. What two pieces is Maryna performing for the third week of her New York engagement?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)