|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new habit has Bogdan acquired since last seeing Maryna?
(c) Biting his nails.
2. What does Bogdan become interested in while recovering from his accident in California?
(d) Flying machines.
3. How does Edwin Booth's father die?
(a) He falls off a riverboat between New Orleans and Cincinnati.
(b) He falls off a cliff in Switzerland.
(c) He falls off a tall building.
(d) He falls off Germania on his way to Europe.
4. What is one reason Julian and Ryszard chose the spot they had for the commune?
(a) Its proximity to a German community.
(b) Its large kitchen.
(c) Its cattle ranch.
(d) Its large living quarters.
5. What does Bogdan want Piotr to pursue rather than piano lessons?
(a) His interest in mathmatics.
(b) His interest in literature.
(c) His interest in engineering.
(d) His interest in sports.
6. What role does Bogdan say he knows how to play in his marriage to Maryna?
(a) The role of the husband of an actress.
(b) The role of a farmer.
(c) The role of a father.
(d) The role of a teacher.
7. What name has Piotr been given in school?
(b) Small boy.
8. What does Maryna do during her three weeks in Paris?
(a) Shop for clothing, get her hair styled, and attend the theatre.
(b) Visit with old friends from New York now living in Paris.
(c) Create new costumes, sit for a portrait, and see Sarah Bernhardt acting.
(d) Act with Sarah Bernhardt at the Met.
9. What happens to Edwin Booth at McVicker's Theatre in Chicago?
(a) Mark Gray attempts to shoot him dead.
(b) He is booed off the stage for being John Booth's brother.
(c) James Booth comes onto the stage and announces Lincoln's death.
(d) He forgets his lines and has to be taken off the stage screaming.
10. Where is Ryszard when Bogdan comes to meet Maryna in New York in January?
(a) He has stayed in San Francisco.
(b) He has returned to Poland.
(c) He has traveled to Virginia.
(d) He has moved to New York to live.
11. Where does Maryna stay in San Francisco?
(a) At the theatre.
(b) With relatives from Krakow.
(c) With Ryszard in a hotel.
(d) With Capt. and Mrs. Znaniecki.
12. In what is Sarah Bernhardt rumored to sleep?
(a) A pile of three mattresses.
(b) A satin lined coffin.
(c) A bath tub.
(d) A circular bed.
13. How does Maryna burn her hand?
(a) Over the fire.
(b) On a hot cup of tea.
(c) On a match.
(d) On a hot stone.
14. What is planted as the major crop on the land the immigrants have rented for their commune?
15. What does the group decide in their commune meeting in May?
(a) To stay on the commune working indefinitely.
(b) To stay on the commune until the following spring.
(c) To stay on the commune working until October.
(d) To leave the commune in June.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the conclusion of Chapter Five, what have the immigrants decided to do?
2. What is in the telegram Maryna receives from Bogdan?
3. How does Maryna find Eliza Withington?
4. What is the name of the circus that comes to the village?
5. What is the name of the criminal whose skull Edwin Booth possesses?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)