|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interruption plagues Maryna in her debut that causes her to toss it out of a window?
(a) A chirping canary.
(b) A sqawking parrot.
(c) A squeaking chair.
(d) A cooing dove.
2. What is the name of the restaurant in which Maryna has lunch after her audition?
(d) The Fountain.
3. At the conclusion of Chapter Five, what have the immigrants decided to do?
(a) Purchase their land.
(b) Cook a turkey.
(c) Decide to leave.
(d) Celebrate the 4th of July.
4. What has plagued the fields of the commune?
5. How does Maryna burn her hand?
(a) On a hot cup of tea.
(b) Over the fire.
(c) On a match.
(d) On a hot stone.
6. After telling him of the terrible travel conditions she and her family have endured on the tour, what does Maryna promise Warnock?
(a) I need a rest.
(b) I am firing you.
(c) I am leaving the stage.
(d) It will not be like this again.
7. Booth tells Maryna she will find a picture or a bust of who in every room of the house?
(b) Sarah Bernhardt.
(d) Booth himself.
8. Why did Booth's mother send him away at age fourteen?
(a) She sent him off to boarding school.
(b) She sent him off to live with a rich uncle.
(c) She sent him off to college.
(d) She sent him off to be his father's dresser and companion.
9. What does Bogdan want Piotr to pursue rather than piano lessons?
(a) His interest in mathmatics.
(b) His interest in engineering.
(c) His interest in literature.
(d) His interest in sports.
10. What does Booth begin doing while imitating David Garrick?
(a) Speaking rudely to Maryna.
(b) Yelling backstage.
(c) Overturning chairs.
(d) Drinking whiskey.
11. What promise does Maryna make to Piotr when arrives in New York from months in California?
(a) She will bring him backstage to meet the actors.
(b) She will never leave him again.
(c) She will give him a birthday party.
(d) She will travel with him to Europe.
12. What wakes the commune in the middle of the night in April?
(a) A baby crying.
(b) An intruder.
(c) A small earthquake.
(d) A coyote howling.
13. Who is waiting for Maryna when she arrives in San Francisco?
14. What does Booth's father do in the wings before going on stage?
(a) Screech and squawk like a parrot.
(b) Rehearse his lines.
(c) Yell at himself in the mirror.
15. How do the playbills for Maryna's New York debut read?
(a) Countess Zalenska of the Russian Imperial Theatre, Warsaw.
(b) Countess Zaloweska of Warsaw.
(c) Countess Zalenska of the Royal Theatre in Krakow.
(d) Countess Maryna of Poland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ryszard ask of Maryna in the letter he leaves in her pocket?
2. How does Edwin Booth's father die?
3. How long did Booth's retirement last?
4. What is the name of the new eau de cologne in New York?
5. When Bogdan makes his last journal entry in mid-June, what has happened to the commune?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)