|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Maryna's personal assistant?
2. Who does Maryna rush back to Krakow to see?
(a) Her brother Stefan who is dying.
(b) Her mother and father.
(c) Bogdan's mother.
(d) Her sister Jozefina who is ill.
3. Where is Zakopane?
(a) In the Ural Mountains.
(b) In the Alps.
(c) In the Rocky Mountains.
(d) In the Tatras Mountains.
4. Who is called a "national symbol?"
5. Where are the people in the steerage section taken?
(a) To lower Manhattan for further instructions.
(b) To Castle Clinton for interrogation and examination.
(c) To Ellis Island for processing.
(d) To New Jersey.
6. Who is Krystyna?
(a) Bogdan's daughter from his first marriage.
(b) Piotr's older sister.
(c) The maid.
(d) The young actress studying with Maryna.
7. What is Maryna wearing at the celebration party after her performance?
(a) A sage green robe.
(b) A sequin-studded dress.
(c) A tutu.
(d) A dark green suit.
8. Who makes the first toast to Maryna at dinner?
(a) The critic.
(b) The writer.
(c) The husband.
(d) The doctor.
9. What is Wanda's reason for going to California?
(a) Because she wants a new life.
(b) Because Maryna has asked her to go.
(c) Because she is tired of Poland.
(d) Because her husband wants to go.
10. What are some of the things Maryna, Aniela, and Piotr see on their excursion from New York?
(a) Telephone, color television, and answering machine.
(b) Telephone, typewriter, and copy machine.
(c) Automobile, blender, and vacuum cleaner.
(d) Radio, gas automobiles, and vacuum cleaner.
11. What Shakespearean play is Maryna reciting at dinner?
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(d) As You Like It.
12. At the celebration party, what language is being spoken by the guests?
13. Who erected the Centennial Fountain?
(a) The Bell Telephone.
(b) The Italian Immigrants Society.
(c) The Pacific Railway.
(d) The Catholic Total Abstinece Union.
14. How long do the newer steamships take to cross the Atlantic to America?
(a) A month.
(b) Twelve days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Eight days.
15. Where do Maryna, Aniela, and Piotr go on an excursion from New York?
(a) The Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia.
(b) The Statue of Liberty in Manhattan.
(c) The Bronx Zoo in New York.
(d) The Jersey Shore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain of the ship ask Ryszard not to go to the steerage section again?
2. What does Julian tell Ryszard he dreams of doing in America?
3. During what play was Lincoln assassinated?
4. What year do the characters leave for Zakopane?
5. Who is Jozefina?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)