|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Ryszard and Julian leave for America?
(a) Early September.
(b) Late January.
(c) Late June.
(d) Mid October.
2. Of what do Maryna and Henryk speak the day after her performance?
(a) Past and future.
(b) Love and marriage.
(c) Depression and fatalism.
(d) Paradise and will.
3. At the celebration party, what language is being spoken by the guests?
4. Who cooks the meals in the commune?
(c) Wanda Solski.
(d) Mrs. Bachleda.
5. Who is Aniela?
(a) A young servant girl in Maryna's employ.
(b) Piotr's cousin.
(c) Piotr's baby sister.
(d) A young acting student in America.
6. How long do the newer steamships take to cross the Atlantic to America?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Eight days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A month.
7. Who is Maryna portraying at the end of her performance before the celebration dinner party?
(b) Mary Stuart.
(d) Madame Curie.
8. How does Maryna describe the change in her since beginning the trip to America?
(a) "I am hot and tired of this."
(b) "I am not prepared for this hardship."
(c) "I swim in vacancy."
(d) "I adore travel."
9. Where is the celebration party taking place?
(a) In a private home.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In an embassy.
(d) In a mansion.
10. Where in America is Maryna living at the start of her letter?
(a) Hoboken, New Jersey.
(b) Albany, New York.
(c) Atlantic City, New Jersey.
(d) Manhattan, New York.
11. Who is hosting the celebration party for Maryna?
12. Where are the people in the steerage section taken?
(a) To lower Manhattan for further instructions.
(b) To Ellis Island for processing.
(c) To New Jersey.
(d) To Castle Clinton for interrogation and examination.
13. What toast does Maryna offer?
(a) "World peace."
14. What promise does Maryna make the Dowanger Countess the first time they meet?
(a) She wil not return to the manor again.
(b) She will not leave Bogdan if she falls in love with someone esle.
(c) She will protect Bogdan from Ignacy.
(d) She will not have children with Bogdan.
15. What other book does Maryna plan to read on the ship?
(d) The Stage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What people does Ryszard find to be the most polite people in New York?
2. What is the name of the hotel in which Julian and Ryszard stay in New York City?
3. What is the name of the boarder in Maryna's home who later becomes her husband?
4. Who slaps Maryna across the face?
5. From what play does Maryna quote upon her entrance to the celebration party in her honor?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)