|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year do the characters leave for Zakopane?
2. Who is Maryna portraying at the end of her performance before the celebration dinner party?
(b) Mary Stuart.
(c) Madame Curie.
3. Where did Bogdan and Maryana dine on their night out alone in New York City?
(a) Ruth's Chris.
(b) The Plaza.
4. Where is Zakopane?
(a) In the Rocky Mountains.
(b) In the Alps.
(c) In the Ural Mountains.
(d) In the Tatras Mountains.
5. What book does Julian bring with to read aboard the ship?
(a) Charles Dickens' Bleak House.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.
(c) Tocqueville's Democracy in America.
(d) Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace.
6. Where is the celebration dinner party after Maryna's performance?
(a) Hotel Sushi.
(b) Hotel Krakow.
(c) Hotel Saski.
(d) Hotel California.
7. What does Henryk teach Piotr when he comes to visit?
(b) How to bandage a dog's paw.
(c) How to bake a cake.
(d) How to shoot a gun.
8. What other book does Maryna plan to read on the ship?
(b) The Stage.
9. Where is the celebration party taking place?
(a) In a mansion.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In a private home.
(d) In an embassy.
10. What promise does Maryna make the Dowanger Countess the first time they meet?
(a) She will not have children with Bogdan.
(b) She will not leave Bogdan if she falls in love with someone esle.
(c) She wil not return to the manor again.
(d) She will protect Bogdan from Ignacy.
11. Where did Julian go by himself two days after arriving in America?
(a) Central Park.
(b) The Village.
(c) Centennial Exhibition.
(d) New Jersey.
12. Who does Ryszard meet at a bar in a brothel?
(a) An author who works for the London Times.
(b) An author who wrote The Communistic Societies of the United States.
(c) An author who wrote The Streets of New York.
(d) An author who wrote for the New York Times.
13. What is Brook Farm?
(a) A commune in Canada.
(b) The neighboring land.
(c) A colony in New England in America.
(d) A chicken farm not far from Zakopane.
14. What does Bogdan offer as a toast?
(a) "Togetherness and happiness."
(b) "Break a leg!"
(c) "Friendship and solidarity."
(d) "The performance of a lifetime."
15. Who played one of the principle roles in the first play Maryna sees in a theatre?
(a) Jozephina, her sister.
(b) Stefan, her brother.
(c) Carmen, her aunt.
(d) Adam, her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ryszard find when he goes below to the steerage portion of the ship?
2. What is the name of the city in which Maryna is performing on the night of the party?
3. What people does Ryszard find to be the most polite people in New York?
4. What is Wanda's reason for going to California?
5. What is the first play Maryna sees as a child?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)