|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Schobert family of Henryk's story?
(a) They all survive a stomach flu.
(b) They all move to Brook Farm.
(c) They all die on the way to California.
(d) They all die, except a three year old, of poisoning.
2. Who makes the first toast to Maryna at dinner?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The husband.
(c) The critic.
(d) The writer.
3. Why does the captain of the ship ask Ryszard not to go to the steerage section again?
(a) It is against the law to wander below the main deck.
(b) The people there might have contageous diseases.
(c) People below complained to the captain.
(d) Julian asked the captian to forbid Ryszard from going anymore.
4. What is Wanda's reason for going to California?
(a) Because she wants a new life.
(b) Because her husband wants to go.
(c) Because she is tired of Poland.
(d) Because Maryna has asked her to go.
5. What is the name of Maryna's personal assistant?
6. What book has Henryk given to Maryna as a farewell gift?
(a) The Survival of the Fittest.
(b) Emiliy Dickenson's Poetry.
(c) Gone With the Wind.
(d) The Expressions of the Emotions in Man and Animals.
7. Where did Bogdan and Maryana dine on their night out alone in New York City?
(b) The Plaza.
(c) Ruth's Chris.
8. Where is Zakopane?
(a) In the Ural Mountains.
(b) In the Tatras Mountains.
(c) In the Alps.
(d) In the Rocky Mountains.
9. Of what do Maryna and Henryk speak the day after her performance?
(a) Depression and fatalism.
(b) Past and future.
(c) Paradise and will.
(d) Love and marriage.
10. Where is the celebration party taking place?
(a) In an embassy.
(b) In a mansion.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a private home.
11. What people does Ryszard find to be the most polite people in New York?
(c) African Americans.
12. What is the name of the boarder in Maryna's home who later becomes her husband?
(a) Michal Gorbechov.
(b) Heinrich Zalezowski.
(c) Alex Bordonivich.
(d) Henryk Simonzas.
13. What does Maryna declare at the end of Chapter One?
(a) "I am muddleheaded and tired of acting."
(b) "I am hungry and confused."
(c) "I am too old to be a good actress any longer."
(d) "I yearn for a better life."
14. What is the name of the ship Maryna and her entourage are taking to California?
15. With which theatre does Maryna hold a life contract?
(a) The Imperial Theatre in Warsaw.
(b) The Polski Theatre in Krakow.
(c) The Count Skarbek Theatre in Lwow.
(d) The Wielki Theatre in Poznan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Shakespearean play is Maryna reciting at dinner?
2. Who does Ryszard meet at a bar in a brothel?
3. When is the story set?
4. Where did Julian go by himself two days after arriving in America?
5. When she is a child, what is one thing Maryna wants to grow up to be?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)