|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Bryson see at Surfer's Paradise?
2. To which national park did the Howes take Bryson?
3. Where did Bryson and Sherwin's ferry dock?
4. Bryson and Sherwin took a ferry to __________________.
5. Sherwin was more _____________ than Bryson was on this trip.
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Alice Springs best known?
2. What did Bryson report about the indiscriminate murder of Aborigines and the Myall Creek incident in particular?
3. What rock formation fascinated both Bryson and Sherwin?
4. Describe Bryson and Sherwin's adventure at the Great Barrier Reef.
5. How did Bryson wistfully end this book?
6. What did Bryson find so fascinating about the stromatolites at Sharks Bay?
7. Bryson visited Glenrowan and learned about which famous outlaw?
8. What is the tragedy of the Aborigine children that Bryson related in his book?
9. Other than dangerous animals, what is an ever-constant threat to Australia's environment?
10. Describe how Bryson and Sherwin seemed to enjoy each other's company on their trip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most striking characteristics of Bryson's writing is his complete honesty. Explain why this is necessary to complete a book of this nature. Would a reader be able to see through fabrications and falsehoods in a book like this? Describe why this format is the perfect for Bryson's personality.
Essay Topic 2
What was Bryson's typical daily itinerary when he reached a city? Plot out a typical day. What were finite elements in Bryson's days? What variables entered into Bryson's schedule? Do you think this was a smart way to plan his time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the irony of Bryon's statement that most people know shockingly little about? Do you think Bryson had hopes of changing this situation by writing about his trips to Australia? Explain.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)