|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Myall Creek incident occur?
2. How long have stromatolites been on earth?
3. What was the projected population of Aborigines at the time Bryson wrote this book?
4. Bryston stated that when he leaves Australia it will almost be like Australia _____________________.
5. In what city did Bryson and Sherwin have to wait out a monsoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the miserable time that Bryson and Sherwin had in the city of Darwin.
2. What famous tree did Bryson and Sherwin see in the town of Daly Waters?
3. What is the story of the plane called Kookaburra and its role in the search for aviation legend Charles Kingsford Smith?
4. Describe Bryson and Sherwin's adventure at the Great Barrier Reef.
5. Bryson visited Glenrowan and learned about which famous outlaw?
6. For what is Alice Springs best known?
7. How does the reader know that Bryson had a good time with his friends Alan Howe and Carmel Egan?
8. What did Bryson learn from a journalist about the Myall Creek incident and how it is not even noted by most people?
9. To what does Perth owe much of its prosperity and who was one of its most prominent citizens and businessmen?
10. How can the reader tell that Uluru was Bryson's favorite site during his Australia trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson ended the book with a wistful tone about what he would miss after he left Australia yet seemed to think that most of what he experienced would leave him at one point. What do you think Bryson was trying to say about his Australian adventures? Would it really be possible to be so personally vested in a place and then forget almost everything about it? Was Bryson just stating the human condition for managing priorities in life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Perth. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Perth? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Sydney. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Sydney? Explain.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)