|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Myall Creek incident occur?
2. For what is Myall Creek famous?
3. Bryson and Sherwin took a ferry to __________________.
4. Who is the local journalist who told Bryson about the Myall Creek incident?
5. How long have stromatolites been on earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bryson and Sherwin seemed to enjoy each other's company on their trip.
2. What did Bryson note as the reason for the high amount of unique flora and fauna in Australia?
3. What commitment did Bryson make to a foreigner while drunk at a pub in Daly Waters.
4. Describe Bryson and Sherwin's adventure at the Great Barrier Reef.
5. What did Bryson report about the indiscriminate murder of Aborigines and the Myall Creek incident in particular?
6. What is the story of the plane called Kookaburra and its role in the search for aviation legend Charles Kingsford Smith?
7. What is the tragedy of the Aborigine children that Bryson related in his book?
8. Who joined Bryson for his next trip to Australia and how does their adventure begin?
9. What did Bryson learn from a journalist about the Myall Creek incident and how it is not even noted by most people?
10. What did Bryson at first find so bizarre about the town of Alice Springs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
Essay Topic 2
Bryson ended the book with a wistful tone about what he would miss after he left Australia yet seemed to think that most of what he experienced would leave him at one point. What do you think Bryson was trying to say about his Australian adventures? Would it really be possible to be so personally vested in a place and then forget almost everything about it? Was Bryson just stating the human condition for managing priorities in life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What are Bryson's reasons for embarking on his trips to Australia? What did he hope to find that he did not see in a similar trip taken before? What were Bryson's greatest thrills about the trip? Were there any major disappointments? Explain.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)