|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous site did Bryson and Sherwin see in the town of Daly Waters?
2. Where did Bryson walk through the tops of trees?
3. Unfortunately, what was not uncommon throughout Australia's history?
4. What animal does an echidna resemble?
5. What is the name of the site where Bryson and Sherwin stopped to see giant boulders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who joined Bryson for his next trip to Australia and how does their adventure begin?
2. Describe how Bryson and Sherwin seemed to enjoy each other's company on their trip.
3. What did Bryson learn from a journalist about the Myall Creek incident and how it is not even noted by most people?
4. What did Bryson find so fascinating about the stromatolites at Sharks Bay?
5. Bryson visited Glenrowan and learned about which famous outlaw?
6. What famous tree did Bryson and Sherwin see in the town of Daly Waters?
7. How can the reader tell that Uluru was Bryson's favorite site during his Australia trip?
8. What was unique about the worms Bryson saw in a small museum?
9. What did Bryson note as the reason for the high amount of unique flora and fauna in Australia?
10. For what is Alice Springs best known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Alice Springs. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Alice Springs? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region? What are the major differences Bryson found as he traveled from place to place?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)