|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Bryson drank too much in a pub?
2. Who did Bryson meet up with in Melbourne?
3. What was Bryson's destination after leaving Canberra?
4. Residents of the city of Adelaide quite frequently mentioned the city's __________.
5. What had Bryson hoped to see in the South Australia Museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bryson's former experience in Australia and what were his plans for this trip?
2. How did Bryson find Adelaide to be in spite of what the locals said about it?
3. For what is Sydney's Circular Quay most famous?
4. What was Bryson's standard itinerary while visiting cities and towns?
5. After Thomas Austin's rabbit debacle, what immigrant animal is Australia's worst menace?
6. What two venues had Bryson wanted to visit in Adelaide but could not?
7. On what did Bryson tend to focus on while walking through Sydney and Canberra?
8. Why did Bryson find the sport of cricket somewhat amusing?
9. To what did Bryson compare the lush Barossa Valley?
10. What fun did Bryson have with the world's biggest lobster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Sydney. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Sydney? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of this book? Why did Bryson use this point of view? Is it the only way the book could have realistically been written? How else could Bryson have used point of view to alter the rhythm of the book? Explain.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)