|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Thomas Austin released his rabbits to horrendous consequences?
2. What did Captain Arthur Phillip bring with him to Australia in 1788?
3. What type of animals did Thomas Austin unleash to hunt for sport?
4. Bryson was often _____________ in the natural environments of Australia.
5. What is the most recognizable feature in Sydney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most recognizable feature in Sydney and what was Bryson's personal favorite?
2. How did Canberra come to be the capital of Australia?
3. Why did Bryson find the sport of cricket somewhat amusing?
4. What man was unwittingly responsible for the barren land surrounding the town of Hay?
5. What did early European explorers think Australia was when they saw it or landed on it?
6. Who was James Cook and when did he set foot in Australia?
7. Describe Bryson's trek through desolate land from Canberra to Adelaide.
8. Who joined Bryson for the first leg of his journey and what was their first stop?
9. What fun did Bryson have with the world's biggest lobster?
10. What is the irony of people not knowing much about Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Bryson appreciates slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature or both? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)