|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bryson is struck by a shop in Young offering pets and _______________.
2. Bryson was often _____________ in the natural environments of Australia.
3. Australian people seemed to Bryson to be obsessed with comparing their _____________ with others.
4. Residents of the city of Adelaide quite frequently mentioned the city's __________.
5. What sport did Bryson hear broadcast on the car radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what did Bryson compare the lush Barossa Valley?
2. What was the focus of Bryson's driving trip along the Boomerang Coast?
3. What is the nature and tone of Bryson's writing about his experiences in Australia?
4. How did Bryson spend his first day in Sydney?
5. On what did Bryson tend to focus on while walking through Sydney and Canberra?
6. Who was James Cook and when did he set foot in Australia?
7. Describe Bryson's trip east from Adelaide to Melbourne.
8. For what is Sydney's Circular Quay most famous?
9. What did Bryson claim to have done that few Australians have ever done?
10. What was Bryson's former experience in Australia and what were his plans for this trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Adelaide. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Adelaide? xplain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Canberra. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Canberra? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)