|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Canberra known?
(a) Urban planning.
(b) Downtown decay.
(c) Suburban sprawl.
(d) Inner city regrowth.
2. The waters off the coast of Victoria are best known for _____________.
3. Bryson listed some of the early expeditions sent by ___________ to explore the land.
4. In what year was the Commonwealth of Australia formed?
5. The devastation of vegetation by Austin's rabbits was followed by ________________.
(a) Blizzards and ice storms.
(b) A decade-long drought.
(c) Unrelenting rains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bryson do during the daylight hours on his visits to each city?
2. Early European explorers thought Australia was the size of __________________.
3. What was Bryson's starting location?
4. What did early European explorers think Australia was?
5. Australian people seemed to Bryson to be obsessed with comparing their _____________ with others.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bryson claim to have done that few Australians have ever done?
2. How did Bryson blend history and current interest in this book?
3. How did Canberra come to be the capital of Australia?
4. How did Bryson and Hart travel through the desert and what historical thoughts did Bryson provide the reader during this time?
5. What two venues had Bryson wanted to visit in Adelaide but could not?
6. What is the nature and tone of Bryson's writing about his experiences in Australia?
7. What was Bryson's standard itinerary while visiting cities and towns?
8. Who was James Cook and when did he set foot in Australia?
9. How did Bryson spend his first day in Sydney?
10. On what did Bryson tend to focus on while walking through Sydney and Canberra?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)