|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bryson is typical in his amazement of ________________ in Australia.
(a) Species migration.
(b) Natural selection.
2. When was the initial peopling of the Australian continent?
(a) 45,000 - 60,000 years ago.
(b) 60,000 - 70,000 years ago.
(c) One million years ago.
(d) 15,000 - 30,000 years ago.
3. Which of the following did Bryson see at Surfer's Paradise?
(a) Shopping centers.
(b) Chain hotels.
(c) All of these.
4. How did Bryson and Sherwin get a great view of the Great Barrier Reef?
(a) From the ferry.
(b) In a semi-submersible boat.
(c) With binoculars.
(d) From a helicopter.
5. What is the name of the place that was a staging area for the Allies in World War II?
(a) Tarpon Springs.
(b) Coral Springs.
(c) McAlister Springs.
(d) Alice Springs.
6. Who was one of Australia's most famous land owners and miners?
(a) Lang Hancock.
(b) Lane Henderson.
(c) Lou Hardy.
(d) Lawrence Henson.
7. For what is Red Bluff Beach famous?
(a) It has amazing red sand on its shores.
(b) Two Dutch sailors were marooned here in 1629.
(c) The trees turn red at sunset.
(d) The sand is covered in red crabs.
8. What is the name of the site where Bryson and Sherwin stopped to see giant boulders?
(a) Big Rocks.
(c) Devils Marbles.
(d) Rocks of the Gods.
9. Where was Kingsford Smith later recovered?
(a) The Victoria Desert.
(b) The Tasmania Isles.
(c) The Kimberley Coast.
(d) The Great Barrier Reef.
10. Which of the following did Bryson say he will not know once he leaves Australia?
(a) All of these.
(b) Which sites he saw or did not see in the country.
(c) The discovery of some new species in the desert.
(d) The conclusion of political events he had followed.
11. Echidnas and the platypus are the only members of the animal group called ______________.
12. How fast can the Australian brushfires move?
(a) 100 mph.
(b) 15 mph.
(c) 30 mph.
(d) 55 mph.
13. Where is Surfer's Paradise located?
(a) Brittannia Cost.
(b) Sunshine Coast.
(c) Gold Coast.
(d) Koala Coast.
14. What famous site did Bryson and Sherwin see in the town of Daly Waters?
(a) The Great Barrier Reef.
(b) The Stuart Tree.
(c) The Australian Desert.
(d) The Queensland Prairie.
15. Uluru is the Aboriginal name for what famous rock formation?
(b) Arborick Rock.
(c) Aleusian Rock.
(d) Ayers Rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of America did Bryson live at the time he visited Australia?
2. What is notable about the Megascolides Australis?
3. Who was the journalist who exposed the Myall Creek incident?
4. During their trip Bryson and Sherwin explored during the day and ____________ at night.
5. What water sport did Bryson attempt but could not maintain?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)