|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following happened to Aborigine children in an attempt to integrate them into white society?
(a) All of these.
(b) They were told that their parents were dead.
(c) They were forced into new communities.
(d) They were seized from their parents.
2. Uluru is the Aboriginal name for what famous rock formation?
(a) Aleusian Rock.
(b) Arborick Rock.
(d) Ayers Rock.
3. What do Australians call the North Coast?
(a) The head.
(b) The hat.
(c) The crown.
(d) The topside.
4. For what is Myall Creek famous?
(a) The prisoner colonies.
(b) The production of boomerangs.
(c) An incident involving the slaughter of Aborigines.
(d) The production of didgeridoos.
5. What is Bryson's tone in the last two chapters of this book?
6. What is a common story is geologic history?
(a) Natural selection.
(b) Accidental migration.
(c) Formulated migration.
(d) Survival of the fittest.
7. Where did Bryson fly into first on his next trip to Australia?
(a) New South Wales.
(b) North Queensland.
(d) Western Australia.
8. What is notable about the Megascolides Australis?
(a) The largest earthworms in the world.
(b) Cannibalistic worms.
(c) Man-eating plants.
(d) Man-eating worms.
9. The boulders at Devil's Marbles measure _________________ feet across.
(b) Twenty or so.
(c) Thirty or more.
(d) Five to ten.
10. About which of the following did Bryson warn Sherwin?
(a) Jellyfish attacks.
(b) Deadly animal attacks.
(c) Saltwater crocodile attacks.
(d) All of these.
11. What is the name of the site where Bryson and Sherwin stopped to see giant boulders?
(a) Rocks of the Gods.
(c) Big Rocks.
(d) Devils Marbles.
12. What animal does an echidna resemble?
13. Bryson pointed out that Australia's ______________ promote(s) specialization in species.
(a) Vast unpopulated inner country.
(b) Rainfall amounts.
(c) Harsh environments.
(d) Urban planning.
14. In what year did the Myall Creek incident occur?
15. In what city did Bryson and Sherwin have to wait out a monsoon?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have stromatolites been on earth?
2. During their trip Bryson and Sherwin explored during the day and ____________ at night.
3. The Australian government implemented relocation and ______________ programs for Aborigines in the 20th century.
4. Bryston stated that when he leaves Australia it will almost be like Australia _____________________.
5. Which of the following did Bryson say he will not know once he leaves Australia?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)