|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Kingsford Smith later recovered?
(a) The Kimberley Coast.
(b) The Victoria Desert.
(c) The Tasmania Isles.
(d) The Great Barrier Reef.
2. The town of Glenrowan is most famous for the downfall of which outlaw?
(a) John Dillinger.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Ned Kelly.
(d) Butch Cassidy.
3. Why couldn't Bryson and Sherwin swim in the cove next to their hotel?
(a) It was filled with jellyfish.
(b) It was too crowded.
(c) They didn't bring swim trunks.
(d) It was too cold.
4. What is remarkable about the stromatolites?
(a) They swim backwards and upside down.
(b) They reproduce spontaneously.
(c) They are an amazing turquoise color.
(d) They are the oldest known species of life on earth.
5. What is a common story is geologic history?
(a) Formulated migration.
(b) Accidental migration.
(c) Natural selection.
(d) Survival of the fittest.
6. Where did Bryson go after leaving Sydney again?
(a) Victoria Station.
7. Which of the following is true of the Myall Creek incident?
(a) There is no interest from tourists.
(b) There is no memorial.
(c) All of these.
(d) Few people know about the incident.
8. The UNESCO has designated Ayers Rock as a __________________.
(a) national treasure.
(b) tourist trap.
(c) World Heritage Site.
(d) sacred space.
9. What desert habitat museum did Bryson visit?
(a) Royal Desert Park.
(b) Great Barrier Habitat Museum.
(c) Ayers Rock Museum.
(d) Alice Springs Desert Park.
10. How many Aborigines were living on the continent by the time the Europeans arrived to colonize Australia?
(a) 5 million.
(b) 300,000 - 1 million.
(d) 25,000 - 50,000.
11. What are the lichen-like creatures that Bryson viewed at Sharks Bay?
12. What is the only large city on Australia's west coast?
13. Where is Surfer's Paradise located?
(a) Brittannia Cost.
(b) Sunshine Coast.
(c) Koala Coast.
(d) Gold Coast.
14. Who joined Bryson on his next trip to Australia?
(a) Mrs. Bryson.
(b) Allan Sherwin.
(c) Hal Winston.
(d) Mike Williams.
15. What is the name of the cyclone that devastated the town of Darwin in 1974?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the annual tourist count of Alice Springs at the time that Bryson visited?
2. Where was Alan Howe's country house located?
3. Bryson is typical in his amazement of ________________ in Australia.
4. Uluru is the Aboriginal name for what famous rock formation?
5. How fast can the Australian brushfires move?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)