|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What museum did Carmel take Bryson to visit?
(a) Immigration Museum.
(b) Aviation Museum.
(c) Natural History Museum.
(d) Maritime Museum.
2. Captain Phillip anchored in the harbor now known as __________________.
(b) Circular Quay.
(c) Roundabout Bay.
3. What did Bryson do during the daylight hours on his visits to each city?
(a) Typed his notes.
(b) Interviewed local people.
(c) Made phone calls home.
(d) Walked the commercial and residential areas.
4. Early European explorers thought Australia was the size of __________________.
(c) New Guinea.
(d) The Bahamas.
5. Australia is the habit of ____________________ than anywhere else in the world.
(a) more deadly creatures.
(b) more horses.
(c) more jaguars.
(d) more birds.
6. For what did Bryson look when stopping for the night in the desert town of Hay?
(d) Koala bears.
7. It is unusual that Australia gets such little Western media coverage because ___________________.
(a) people are fascinated with kangaroos.
(b) there are a lot of celebrities there.
(c) because the country is so big.
(d) it is one of the world's most unique places.
8. The Spriggina Fossil is said to be a possible explanation for the sudden explosion of life in the ____________ period.
9. How many specimens of plants and small animals did Banks collect while in Australia?
(a) About 50,000.
(b) Less than 20,000.
(c) At least 100,000.
(d) Over 30,000.
10. Why had Bill Bryson been to Australia in the past?
(a) For research trips.
(b) For family reunions.
(c) For book tours.
(d) For class trips.
11. In what year was the Commonwealth of Australia formed?
12. Who was the nineteenth-century man who unleashed animals to hunt?
(a) William Cook.
(b) Thomas Austin.
(c) James Caufield.
(d) Frederick Champ.
13. Bryson is struck by a shop in Young offering pets and _______________.
14. What is Trevor Ray Hart's profession?
15. In what year did Bryson first visit Melbourne?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bryson's destination after leaving Canberra?
2. What is the name of the road that is filled with sinuous curves along crumbling cliffs?
3. What is Nullarbor?
4. Bryson found that although Australians are amiable, they also display ________________.
5. How long was the meta sign of the lobster?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)