|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is footy?
(b) Australian Rules football.
2. What did Captain Phillip establish in Circular Quay?
(a) A school.
(b) A prison colony.
(c) A nature preserve.
(d) A maritime center.
3. It is unusual that Australia gets such little Western media coverage because ___________________.
(a) there are a lot of celebrities there.
(b) people are fascinated with kangaroos.
(c) because the country is so big.
(d) it is one of the world's most unique places.
4. What was Bryson's destination city?
5. What mesmerized Bryson while on the train?
(a) The stars at night.
(b) The cloud formations.
(c) The blazing sun.
(d) The glimmering track.
6. In what year was the Commonwealth of Australia formed?
7. Who was the nineteenth-century man who unleashed animals to hunt?
(a) Thomas Austin.
(b) James Caufield.
(c) Frederick Champ.
(d) William Cook.
8. Who did Bryson meet up with in Melbourne?
(a) Albert Howell.
(b) Alan Howe.
(c) Art Harrison.
(d) Alfred Howe.
9. What did Bryson and Hart do that most Australians never do?
(a) Swam with sharks.
(b) Ate with Aborigines.
(c) Traveled the whole length of the country.
(d) Hiked the desert.
10. What happened when Bryson drank too much in a pub?
(a) He made lots of new friends.
(b) He make transcontinental phone calls.
(c) He bought drinks for everybody.
(d) His notes are scrawled.
11. The devastation of vegetation by Austin's rabbits was followed by ________________.
(a) A decade-long drought.
(b) Blizzards and ice storms.
(d) Unrelenting rains.
12. How much do most people know about Australia?
(b) Enough to get by.
(c) Just trivia points.
(d) Shockingly little.
13. Who is Alan Howe's wife?
(a) Carrie Easton.
(b) Carmel Egan.
(c) Cheryl Edwards.
(d) Camilla Edson.
14. Why did Bryson visit Melbourne the first time?
(a) Family reunion.
(c) Book research.
(d) Writer's Festival.
15. What was the name of Lt. James Cook's ship?
(a) HMS Brittannia
(b) HMS Endeavor.
(c) HMS Pinafore.
(d) HMS Enterprise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Bryson fell asleep in the car?
2. Bryson's favorite spots in each city he visited were museums and ____________.
3. What is the world's largest living thing located in Australia?
4. What creature terrified Bryson in Australia?
5. What is the name of the first town where Bryson stopped on his train ride?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)