|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been the official capital of Tanzania since 1996?
2. Tanzania is bordered by what nations to the west?
3. In Part 2: The Lover, a border guard on the Malawi side of the border tells Damon to bribe whom in order to cross in Part 2: The Lover?
4. Amsterdam is the capital of what nation?
5. What does Damon discover Charles is smuggling across the border in Part 2: The Lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Damon when Christian, Jerome and Alice decide to stay with him for a few days in Part Two: The Lover?
2. Why does Damon depart from his traveling companions from Europe at the Malawian border in Part Two: The Lover? How does he feel about this?
3. Who is Damon invited to join on a trip to Malawi in Part Two: The Lover? How does Damon feel about this group?
4. What prevents Damon from getting close to Jerome in their first travels together in Part Two: The Lover? Where does he go with the group after leaving Nhkata Bay?
5. Where does Damon reconnect with Christian, Jerome and the others after crossing the border in Part Two: The Lover?
6. What crashed into the train window as Damon and his friends traveled in Part Two: The Lover? Who ends up sitting next to Damon on the train?
7. Where is Damon found traveling in the beginning of Part Two: The Lover? How has he changed?
8. Why do Damon and his group of friends travel to Kenya in Part Two: The Lover?
9. How does Damon eventually get across the Tanzanian border in Part Two: The Lover?
10. What traveler from Chile joins Damon's group in Part Two: The Lover? How does Damon describe his feelings about crossing the border in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Anna in comparison to the other traveling companions Damon has had in the book. How is Anna similar to Reiner and Jerome? How is she different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the evolution of Damon's character in Part Two: The Lover. How much older is the narrator than he was in Part One: The Follower? How does he feel about his fellow travelers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Christian, Jerome and Alice in Part Two: The Lover. How are these travelers related?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)