|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the boat which Damon rides with the Frenchman and the Swiss siblings dock, where Damon takes a swim in the lake in Part 2: The Lover?
2. What is the name of the young Swiss woman in the traveling party with which Damon meets up in Part 2: The Lover?
3. When Charles and Damon part ways, Charles tries to get Damon to stay longer because he fears what in Part 2: The Lover?
4. One of Damon's traveler friends in Part 2: The Lover is named Richard and is from where?
5. Tanzania is bordered by what nations to the south?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Damon depart from his traveling companions from Europe at the Malawian border in Part Two: The Lover? How does he feel about this?
2. How is the character of Charles first described when Damon meets him in Part Two: The Lover?
3. Why do Damon and his group of friends travel to Kenya in Part Two: The Lover?
4. Who is the object of Damon's affections in Part Two: The Lover? How is this love unrequited?
5. Where does Damon first meet up with Christian, Jerome and Alice in Part Two: The Lover? How did these travelers come together?
6. How does Damon eventually get across the Tanzanian border in Part Two: The Lover?
7. Who is Damon invited to join on a trip to Malawi in Part Two: The Lover? How does Damon feel about this group?
8. Where does Damon reconnect with Christian, Jerome and the others after crossing the border in Part Two: The Lover?
9. Where does Damon travel and have a sublime solitary experience in the beginning of Part Two: The Lover? How is it described?
10. What does Damon grow to dislike about his original group of travelers in Malawi in Part Two: The Lover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of conflict in literature and in the novel. What conflicts begin to arise between Reiner and Damon in Part One: The Follower? How should each be best resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Damon as the protagonist of the novel and the use of foreshadowing in the first pages of Part One: The Lover. What does this foreshadowing allude to later?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Charles in Part Two: The Lover. How does Damon feel about Charles when they first meet? How old is Charles and where is he from?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)