|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the principle language spoken in Mbeya?
2. Mbeya had an approximate population of what in 2005?
3. Charles repeatedly calls Damon by what incorrect name in Part 2: The Lover?
4. What does Damon write for his name when he trades contact information with Charles in Part 2: The Lover?
5. What refers to a member of a people or tribe that has no permanent abode but moves about from place to place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Damon grow to dislike about his original group of travelers in Malawi in Part Two: The Lover?
2. How does Damon eventually get across the Tanzanian border in Part Two: The Lover?
3. How does Damon's isolation grow stronger when he is with the first traveling group in Malawi in Part Two: The Lover?
4. Why are Damon's fellow travelers unable to cross the Malawian border in Part Two: The Lover? Who does Damon meet at the border crossing?
5. Why does Damon depart from his traveling companions from Europe at the Malawian border in Part Two: The Lover? How does he feel about this?
6. About what does Damon worry in Tanzania in Part Two: The Lover? Where do he and his group go to stay in Tanzania?
7. How is Lusaka described in Part Two: The Lover? Where do Damon and his fellow travelers go next?
8. Who is the object of Damon's affections in Part Two: The Lover? How is this love unrequited?
9. Where does Damon reconnect with Christian, Jerome and the others after crossing the border in Part Two: The Lover?
10. Why do Damon and his group of friends travel to Kenya in Part Two: The Lover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, analyze and discuss the setting, tone and narrative style of Part One: The Lover. From whose point of view is the book written?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls in Part Two: The Lover. What kind of imagery does the author use in describing his journey to the falls?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motifs of borders and isolation in the novel. How does Damon feel about border crossings? Why?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)