|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Damon see a TV that shows the fighting and bombing of the Gulf War in Part One: The Follower?
2. What term refers to the condition of being dominant, especially through superior economic or political power?
3. What is the legislative capital of South Africa?
4. In Part One: The Follower, Reiner tells Damon that a woman where wants to marry him?
5. Along the road to Semonkong, Damon and Reiner reach a village and take a room, too exhausted to pitch their tent. How long do they stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Damon and Reiner sleep the first night of their hike into the mountains in Part One: The Follower?
2. Where is the first leg of Damon and Reiner's trip to Lesotho in Part One: The Follower? How do the men travel and where do they stay?
3. What causes Damon to feel resentment toward Reiner when they purchase food for the trip in Part One: The Follower?
4. When Reiner and Damon stop to rest along the second leg of their journey at a village in Part One: The Follower, what is their relationship like?
5. Why does the stranger come to the narrator's room at the hostel in Part One: The Follower? Who is the man?
6. What conclusions arise from Part One: The Follower? What has Damon gained through his journey in this story?
7. What role does Damon play in Part One: The Follower? Who is the narrator of the story?
8. Where does Reiner go after dinner at the hotel in Maseru in Part One: The Follower? Why?
9. Who does Reiner say he is Greece to avoid in Part One: The Follower? What attraction can be seen between Reiner and Damon in this section?
10. What exhausting hike does Reiner suggest along the second leg of the hike to Lesotho in Part One: The Follower? How is it described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of Part One: The Follower, identifying and analyzing the exposition, rising action and climax of the narrative. How traditional is this plot structure?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Malawi, Zambia and the characters established in the beginning of Part Two. Where did Damon meet these companions?
Essay Topic 3
Identify, analyze and discuss the setting, tone and narrative style of Part One: The Lover. From whose point of view is the book written?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)