|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After camping overnight in a storm in Part One: The Follower, Reiner wants to leave but Damon is looking for what, which was lost in the storm?
2. After abandoning Reiner in Part One: The Follower, Damon gets a ride with a woman who's going where?
3. The first leg of the trip Damon and Reiner take in South Africa is on a train from Cape Town to where in Part One: The Follower?
4. Who is particularly excited about the hike Damon and Reiner plan to take in South Africa and offers to fund it in Part One: The Follower?
5. Along what mountain range do Damon and Reiner hike for several days in Part One: The Follower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the stranger come to the narrator's room at the hostel in Part One: The Follower? Who is the man?
2. What causes Damon to feel resentment toward Reiner when they purchase food for the trip in Part One: The Follower?
3. What conclusions arise from Part One: The Follower? What has Damon gained through his journey in this story?
4. What does Damon consider doing while at a scenic viewing area with Reiner in Part One: The Follower?
5. What exhausting hike does Reiner suggest along the second leg of the hike to Lesotho in Part One: The Follower? How is it described?
6. What is revealed in the letters between Reiner and Damon in Part One: The Follower? Where is Reiner located at this time?
7. What are the reasons Damon and Reiner give for their travels to Greece in Part One: The Follower?
8. What role does Damon play in Part One: The Follower? Who is the narrator of the story?
9. Where is the first leg of Damon and Reiner's trip to Lesotho in Part One: The Follower? How do the men travel and where do they stay?
10. Where does Reiner suggest Damon and he go hiking while on his visit in South Africa in Part One: The Follower? What personality traits does Damon notice about his friend at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of the seminary differ from that of the Greek countryside where Reiner and Damon met in Part One: The Follower? What is the significance of the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Malawi, Zambia and the characters established in the beginning of Part Two. Where did Damon meet these companions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings of Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls in Part Two: The Lover. What kind of imagery does the author use in describing his journey to the falls?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)