|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reiner suggests that he and Damon take a hiking trip to a region called what when he visits Cape Town in Part One: The Follower?
2. What does Reiner do when Damon insists they stay and look for part of their camping supplies after a storm in Part One: The Follower?
3. In Part One: The Follower, Damon asks a driver to take him to Pretoria but he only has how much money left?
4. Where does Reiner have sexual intercourse with a masseuse in Part One: The Follower?
5. Where is the character of Reiner from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Damon and Reiner sleep the first night of their hike into the mountains in Part One: The Follower?
2. When Reiner and Damon stop to rest along the second leg of their journey at a village in Part One: The Follower, what is their relationship like?
3. What is central in the conflicts between Reiner and Damon in Part One: The Follower?
4. What are the days along the journey like for Damon and Reiner in Part One: The Follower? When do they do the most walking?
5. What does Damon consider doing while at a scenic viewing area with Reiner in Part One: The Follower?
6. What is revealed in the letters between Reiner and Damon in Part One: The Follower? Where is Reiner located at this time?
7. What does Damon relate about his isolation and traveling while in Sparta in Part One: The Follower?
8. What role does Damon play in Part One: The Follower? Who is the narrator of the story?
9. What differences does Damon see between himself and Reiner before they depart for Lesotho in Part One: The Follower?
10. Where does Reiner go after dinner at the hotel in Maseru in Part One: The Follower? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the journey taken by Damon and his companions from Lusaka to the border of Malawi. What are the conditions of the bus ride like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Malawi, Zambia and the characters established in the beginning of Part Two. Where did Damon meet these companions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of power and identity in the narrative and the different shifts which take place in the narrative style. How do these narrative shifts relate to the theme of identity?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)