|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Damon from?
2. When Damon and Reiner go to see a beautiful view of the village in which they are staying in Part One: The Follower, Reiner stands there near the mountain edge and a flash goes through Damon's mind of what?
3. By what mode of transportation do Damon and Reiner travel to the Lesotho border in Part One: The Follower?
4. The character of Damon travels perpetually for what reason?
5. In Part One: The Follower, Damon asks a driver to take him to Pretoria but he only has how much money left?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Reiner go after dinner at the hotel in Maseru in Part One: The Follower? Why?
2. Why does the stranger come to the narrator's room at the hostel in Part One: The Follower? Who is the man?
3. How does the author set up the opening of Part One: The Follower? How are the travelers described?
4. What conclusions arise from Part One: The Follower? What has Damon gained through his journey in this story?
5. Who does Reiner say he is Greece to avoid in Part One: The Follower? What attraction can be seen between Reiner and Damon in this section?
6. Where is the first leg of Damon and Reiner's trip to Lesotho in Part One: The Follower? How do the men travel and where do they stay?
7. What does Damon consider doing while at a scenic viewing area with Reiner in Part One: The Follower?
8. Where do Damon and Reiner sleep the first night of their hike into the mountains in Part One: The Follower?
9. What is revealed in the letters between Reiner and Damon in Part One: The Follower? Where is Reiner located at this time?
10. What are the days along the journey like for Damon and Reiner in Part One: The Follower? When do they do the most walking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the emotional growth of the protagonist in the beginning of Part Three: The Guardian. What has happened in Damon's life that has given him the capacity to oversee and care for others?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Malawi, Zambia and the characters established in the beginning of Part Two. Where did Damon meet these companions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Damon as the protagonist of the novel and the use of foreshadowing in the first pages of Part One: The Lover. What does this foreshadowing allude to later?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)