|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to fight while the police are searching Aspen Springs?
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Tony think of Dr. Boston?
3. Why did Tony's father stay away from him?
4. What does Tony's father ask of him in Chapter Fifty?
5. What does Tony compare Vanessa to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Conner and his mother during their visit?
2. Why does Conner decide to become friends with Tony?
3. What do Tony and Conner think about Vanessa in Chapter Twenty-six?
4. Why does Conner think he might be able to use Stephanie?
5. What happened to Tony eight years earlier?
6. In Chapter Seven, Dr. Starr asks Conner why he has been committed to Aspen Springs. What does he tell her?
7. How do Conner's parents behave during their visit?
8. How was Todd getting drugs into Aspen Springs?
9. Why is Vanessa at Aspen Springs psychiatric hospital?
10. Why is Conner in Aspen Springs psychiatric hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The students are assigned to write poems about their happiest memories. The poems they write reveal their intimate feelings.
1) What does Vanessa write about and what does her writing tell the reader about her state of mind?
2) What does Tony write about and what does his writing tell the reader about his state of mind?
3) What does Conner write about and what does his writing tell the reader about his state of mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Leona? How was she a part of Conner's life? What happened between Conner and Leona? How did their situation come to an end? How does Conner feel about what happened between them?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Hildalgo assigns the teens an essay on the Patriot Act.
1) What is the Patriot Act?
2) Why is it included in the book?
3) How does Conner feel about the subject?
4) How does Vanessa feel about the subject?
5) How does Tony feel about the subject?
6) What do their essays tell the reader about their personalities?
7) How do you feel about it?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)