|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the last time Vanessa saw her father?
2. In Chapter Seven, who arrives in Conner's room to see if he is settled in?
3. Who does Tony eat dinner with in Chapter fifty-three?
4. What did Phillip do for a living?
5. What is the name of the psychiatric hospital where Conner is staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Seven, Dr. Starr asks Conner why he has been committed to Aspen Springs. What does he tell her?
2. What does Vanessa do at dinner that is unusual for her?
3. What happens between Conner and his mother during their visit?
4. What happened to Tony's friend Phillip?
5. Why does Vanessa feel sorry for her grandmother?
6. How does Conner feel about Emily confessing their love to the authorities?
7. Why is Conner in Aspen Springs psychiatric hospital?
8. How did Conner achieve Level One?
9. How do Conner's parents behave during their visit?
10. In Chapter Thirty-seven, what do Conner and Tony write their essays about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does each of the teens want when they leave Aspen Springs? How likely are they to receive what they are longing for?
Essay Topic 2
As the novel progresses it is apparent that Tony and Vanessa have developed feelings for each other. However, Tony is portrayed as being gay. What happens between the two characters? Is Tony gay? Why might Tony be confused about his sexuality? Why might Vanessa be hesitant to express her feelings for Tony?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Hildalgo assigns the teens an essay on the Patriot Act.
1) What is the Patriot Act?
2) Why is it included in the book?
3) How does Conner feel about the subject?
4) How does Vanessa feel about the subject?
5) How does Tony feel about the subject?
6) What do their essays tell the reader about their personalities?
7) How do you feel about it?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)