|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six, what type of assignment does Mr. Hidalgo assign the students?
2. In Chapter Seven, who arrives in Conner's room to see if he is settled in?
3. Who saved Conner's life after he attempted suicide?
4. Who does Vanessa befriend in Chapter Nine?
5. What does Dr. Boston tell Conner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vanessa afraid of church?
2. What do Tony and Conner think about Vanessa in Chapter Twenty-six?
3. What does Tony do about the fresh cuts he notices on Vanessa during church?
4. What does Vanessa do at dinner that is unusual for her?
5. In Chapter Eight, how does Tony describe the other kids in group therapy?
6. What happened to Tony eight years earlier?
7. In Chapter Thirty-six, how does Vanessa feel about Aspen Springs?
8. In Chapter Thirty-seven, what do Conner and Tony write their essays about?
9. Why is Vanessa at Aspen Springs psychiatric hospital?
10. How does Conner learn about the drug bust?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the three teen characters has been admitted to Aspen Springs psychiatric hospital for attempted suicide.
1) How and why did Vanessa attempt suicide?
2) How and why did Conner attempt suicide?
3) How and why did Tony attempt suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Conner is cold and distant when he arrives at Aspen Springs. As the story moves along, he begins to warm up to others and show more of his vulnerabilities. What are Conner's parents like? What is his sister like? How have he and Cara been competing with each other? Why do they compete like they do? Is Conner more like his parents than he would like to admit? Explain. How is Conner different than his mother and father? Provide examples from the story in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The students are assigned to write poems about their happiest memories. The poems they write reveal their intimate feelings.
1) What does Vanessa write about and what does her writing tell the reader about her state of mind?
2) What does Tony write about and what does his writing tell the reader about his state of mind?
3) What does Conner write about and what does his writing tell the reader about his state of mind?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)