|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack tell Algernon has happened to Bunbury?
2. What is Gwendolyn given with her tea?
3. Who serves tea to Cecily and Gwendolen?
4. What vulgar people does Algernon suggest bandy about there business in cocktail parties?
5. At the end of the act, why does Algernon not want to see Cecily in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
2. What is Cecily's response to Algernon's proposal to her?
3. What reason does Cecily give for not wanting to show Algernon her diary?
4. How does Algernon end up paying for Jack's debt in Act II?
5. What has Algernon arranged for later in the afternoon that jack has as well?
6. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
7. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
8. After the two women storm off, what is Algernon's attitude?
9. Why does Gwendolen state that she wishes Cecily were older?
10. What changes in Ernest's behavior does Algernon announce when he arrives at Jack's country house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play begins in London and take place largely in a manor house in Woolton. The conflict between town and country is a central component of Oscar WIlde's play:
Part 1.) Where do Jack and Algernon, separately, prefer to relax? How does their preference result int he creation of elaborate deceptions?
Part 2.) How do Cecily and Gwendolen's view of the city and country differ from Jack's and Algernon's? Are their opinions more or less ambiguous?
Part 3.) Write an overview of the relative merits and drawbacks of town and country according to the characters of the play. Be sure to cite which character said these things.
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that Lady Bracknell's constant fretting about Gwendolen's inauspicious betrothal, the state of over-education, and comment on train platforms (to name a few examples) indicates an implicit fear of devaluation of high society in England? Write an essay with your position, using statements about the role of the upper class to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
The Importance of Being Earnest wittily subverts certain respected establishments in English Victorian society. Write three body paragraphs about how Oscar Wilde uses his play to lampoon the following institutions:
Part 1) The Family and the Household
Part 2) Creditors and solicitors
Part 3) The Church
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)