|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two words do Miss Prism and Cecily confuse as they talk about Jack and his "brother"?
2. When Algernon arrives, under what name is he traveling?
3. Where does Cecily get her ideas for her diary?
4. What German writer is Cecily studying at the top of Act II?
5. What mission does Algernon give Cecily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
2. Why does Gwendolen state that she wishes Cecily were older?
3. What has Algernon arranged for later in the afternoon that jack has as well?
4. How does Algernon get rid of Miss Prism when he wants say goodbye to Cecily?
5. What order does Jack give to Algernon after the women go in to lunch?
6. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
7. When Algernon arrives under the guise Ernest, what does Cecily tell him about Jack's plans?
8. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act II?
9. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
10. What news does Jack bring with him when he returns home from London.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack Worthing begins the play admitting to a series of untruths, among them his name and his relationship with Cecily. Do you think that Jack's habit of deceiving those close to him is forgivable since no one is harmed? Do you think that Gwendolen is genuinely hurt by the revelation Jack has lied to her? What about his assertion that Ernest has died?
Essay Topic 2
Like many English comedic plays, the Importance of Being Ernest ends with three marriages:
Part 1.) How are Jack's and Algernon's betrothal inextricable linked, both as impediments to each other and later as facilitators?
Part 2.) What obstacles do Miss Prism and Chasuble face in their courtship? What would have happened had they not wed?
Part 3.) Which of the three engagements suffered most before becoming secure? Which marriage do you think will be strongest? Cite examples from the text to justify your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following three options to write about:
1.) To what extent has Cecily always been at the beck and call of authority figures fro Thomas Cardew to Miss Prism. Write three paragraphs about her subjugation to three separate masters and how her diary undermines this control.
2.) Do you think that Gwendolen is an inherently rebellious character or a generally subservient character that acts against her nature in the story? Cite examples from the text to defend your answer.
3.) What is Miss Prism's motivation in the play? What is she running from and why has she decided that she will not marry?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)