|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What minor character defames the German language at the beginning of the Act?
2. Who serves tea to Cecily and Gwendolen?
3. What German writer is Cecily studying at the top of Act II?
4. Where do Cecily and Gwendolen depart to when they leave the men?
5. Why is Miss Prism concerned by Chasuble's being in the vestry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Algernon get rid of Miss Prism when he wants say goodbye to Cecily?
2. How does Cecily get rid of Miss Prism at the the beginning of Act II?
3. Why is Cecily always distracted from her lessons?
4. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
5. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
6. Describe Chasuble.
7. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
8. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
9. What order does Jack give to Algernon after the women go in to lunch?
10. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following topics to write about:
1.) What aspects of a person are important to a courtship according to Cecily? How do these differ from those of Lady Bracknell?
2.) What is Algernon's stated stance on romance and marriage in Act I? Why do you think he decides to propose to Cecily in spite of this position? Cite statements made by Algernon later to justify your argument.
3.) Gwendolen's statement about always wanting to marry a man named Ernest is absurd, but her reasons for liking the name are indicative of a desire everyone has when getting married. What are her reasons for liking the name and how do they indicate a universal desire of humankind?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay with the thesis that Jack Worthing's decision to hire Miss Prism before the play begins is the reason why the play ends happily. Use the three marriage's as a framing device for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The play begins in London and take place largely in a manor house in Woolton. The conflict between town and country is a central component of Oscar WIlde's play:
Part 1.) Where do Jack and Algernon, separately, prefer to relax? How does their preference result int he creation of elaborate deceptions?
Part 2.) How do Cecily and Gwendolen's view of the city and country differ from Jack's and Algernon's? Are their opinions more or less ambiguous?
Part 3.) Write an overview of the relative merits and drawbacks of town and country according to the characters of the play. Be sure to cite which character said these things.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)