|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack describe Algernon's eating in times of distress?
2. What minor character defames the German language at the beginning of the Act?
3. Immediately after proposing to Cecily, who does Algernon seek out?
4. Why does Algernon claim he left London before Monday?
5. What is Cecily's justification that she should not have to learn German?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Algernon arrives under the guise Ernest, what does Cecily tell him about Jack's plans?
2. After the two women storm off, what is Algernon's attitude?
3. What reason does Cecily give for not wanting to show Algernon her diary?
4. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
5. What is Cecily's response to Algernon's proposal to her?
6. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act II?
7. What changes in Ernest's behavior does Algernon announce when he arrives at Jack's country house?
8. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
9. Why is Cecily always distracted from her lessons?
10. What news does Jack bring with him when he returns home from London.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters in The Importance of Being Ernest rely upon fiction to live their lives as they would like:
Part 1.) Describe Algernon's relationship with Bunbury. How does he use his "friend" to avoid unpleasant situations?
Part 2.) Compare Jack's relationship with Ernest to Algernon's with Bunbury? How are his motivations for having a fake associate different? Are his methods more complex?
Part 3.) Compare both Jack and Algernon's fictional associates with Cecily's fantasy life from her diary. How are her motivations and methods different from the men's?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following three options to write about:
1.) To what extent has Cecily always been at the beck and call of authority figures fro Thomas Cardew to Miss Prism. Write three paragraphs about her subjugation to three separate masters and how her diary undermines this control.
2.) Do you think that Gwendolen is an inherently rebellious character or a generally subservient character that acts against her nature in the story? Cite examples from the text to defend your answer.
3.) What is Miss Prism's motivation in the play? What is she running from and why has she decided that she will not marry?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, focusing on Lady Bracknell's standards for a suitor. Cite three examples of her requirements, and defend her insistence on them. How do Lady Bracknell's concerns reflect the lack of options open to Victorian women.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)