|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolen beg Cecily to call her after they realize they are deceived?
2. Whom has Gwendolen already contacted about her betrothal to Ernest?
3. Where does Cecily tell Algernon he is being sent?
4. What mission does Algernon give Cecily?
5. About whom has Algernon - as Ernest - been talking to Cecily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
2. What reason does Cecily give for not wanting to show Algernon her diary?
3. What has Algernon arranged for later in the afternoon that jack has as well?
4. What reason does Miss Prism give for not wanting Ernest to be saved from his vices?
5. How does Cecily get rid of Miss Prism at the the beginning of Act II?
6. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
7. What news does Jack bring with him when he returns home from London.
8. What is Cecily's response to Algernon's proposal to her?
9. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
10. How does Algernon end up paying for Jack's debt in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters in The Importance of Being Ernest rely upon fiction to live their lives as they would like:
Part 1.) Describe Algernon's relationship with Bunbury. How does he use his "friend" to avoid unpleasant situations?
Part 2.) Compare Jack's relationship with Ernest to Algernon's with Bunbury? How are his motivations for having a fake associate different? Are his methods more complex?
Part 3.) Compare both Jack and Algernon's fictional associates with Cecily's fantasy life from her diary. How are her motivations and methods different from the men's?
Essay Topic 2
Is Chasuble a religious hypocrite or merely a bumbling blowhard? Make a case for one or the other in essay form, citing statement made and actions taken be Chasuble to corroborate your position.
Essay Topic 3
Now does Jack's last line about "the vital importance of being earnest" reflect a possible lesson he has learned. Use Jack's character arc over the course of the play and the reason for his final salvation as evidence to support your argument.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)