|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Miss Prism concerned by Chasuble's being in the vestry?
2. What, according to Miss Prism, does Socialism lead to?
3. How many counties can one see from the hills of around the manor?
4. What does Jack tell Algernon has happened to Bunbury?
5. At the end of the act, why does Algernon not want to see Cecily in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
2. What news does Jack bring with him when he returns home from London.
3. When Algernon arrives under the guise Ernest, what does Cecily tell him about Jack's plans?
4. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act II?
5. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
6. What is Cecily's response to Algernon's proposal to her?
7. How does Algernon get rid of Miss Prism when he wants say goodbye to Cecily?
8. What reason does Cecily give for not wanting to show Algernon her diary?
9. How does Algernon end up paying for Jack's debt in Act II?
10. What order does Jack give to Algernon after the women go in to lunch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay with the thesis that Jack Worthing's decision to hire Miss Prism before the play begins is the reason why the play ends happily. Use the three marriage's as a framing device for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In the Importance of Being Earnest, certain objects play more central roles in driving action than characters. Write an essay dealing with the following three objects - a paragraph each - and how they affect the outcome of the play:
Part 1.) Algernon's bills
Part 2.) Cecily's diary
Part 3.) The handbag
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following three options to write about:
1.) To what extent has Cecily always been at the beck and call of authority figures fro Thomas Cardew to Miss Prism. Write three paragraphs about her subjugation to three separate masters and how her diary undermines this control.
2.) Do you think that Gwendolen is an inherently rebellious character or a generally subservient character that acts against her nature in the story? Cite examples from the text to defend your answer.
3.) What is Miss Prism's motivation in the play? What is she running from and why has she decided that she will not marry?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)