|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lunch has Jack traditionally been enjoying of late?
2. What does Jack tell Algernon has happened to Bunbury?
3. Why is Miss Prism concerned by Chasuble's being in the vestry?
4. Which two words do Miss Prism and Cecily confuse as they talk about Jack and his "brother"?
5. Why does Gwendolyn decline sugar in her tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
2. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
3. What reason does Miss Prism give for not wanting Ernest to be saved from his vices?
4. Describe Chasuble.
5. What order does Jack give to Algernon after the women go in to lunch?
6. What is Cecily's response to Algernon's proposal to her?
7. Why is Cecily always distracted from her lessons?
8. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
9. How does Algernon get rid of Miss Prism when he wants say goodbye to Cecily?
10. After the two women storm off, what is Algernon's attitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now does Jack's last line about "the vital importance of being earnest" reflect a possible lesson he has learned. Use Jack's character arc over the course of the play and the reason for his final salvation as evidence to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Write about Lady Bracknell as the driving force in the play. Cite three examples of moments where she is the sole arbiter of the another character's fate. How is the climax a result of her machinations?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following three options to write about:
1.) To what extent has Cecily always been at the beck and call of authority figures fro Thomas Cardew to Miss Prism. Write three paragraphs about her subjugation to three separate masters and how her diary undermines this control.
2.) Do you think that Gwendolen is an inherently rebellious character or a generally subservient character that acts against her nature in the story? Cite examples from the text to defend your answer.
3.) What is Miss Prism's motivation in the play? What is she running from and why has she decided that she will not marry?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)