|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What workman's item does Gwendolen claim never to have seen?
2. How does Cecily have letters from Ernest?
3. What does Algernon claim to be when he meets Cecily?
4. Who does Cecily wish would come to the country manor?
5. What is Cecily's justification that she should not have to learn German?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Jack bring with him when he returns home from London.
2. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act II?
3. What has Algernon arranged for later in the afternoon that jack has as well?
4. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
5. How does Algernon end up paying for Jack's debt in Act II?
6. After the two women storm off, what is Algernon's attitude?
7. How does Algernon get rid of Miss Prism when he wants say goodbye to Cecily?
8. When Algernon arrives under the guise Ernest, what does Cecily tell him about Jack's plans?
9. What changes in Ernest's behavior does Algernon announce when he arrives at Jack's country house?
10. Describe Chasuble.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Chasuble a religious hypocrite or merely a bumbling blowhard? Make a case for one or the other in essay form, citing statement made and actions taken be Chasuble to corroborate your position.
Essay Topic 2
The play begins in London and take place largely in a manor house in Woolton. The conflict between town and country is a central component of Oscar WIlde's play:
Part 1.) Where do Jack and Algernon, separately, prefer to relax? How does their preference result int he creation of elaborate deceptions?
Part 2.) How do Cecily and Gwendolen's view of the city and country differ from Jack's and Algernon's? Are their opinions more or less ambiguous?
Part 3.) Write an overview of the relative merits and drawbacks of town and country according to the characters of the play. Be sure to cite which character said these things.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following options to write about:
1.) What type of freedom does Ernest allow Jack? Can he do certain things because of Ernest that he could not without him? What unexpected challenges arise because of the freedom Ernest allows?
2.) Write about debt as a driving force in the play? Which characters - both real and fictional - have accumulated debt and how doe they justify it. Cite specific examples in the text.
3.) To what extent are Lane, Miss Prism, and Chasuble all constrained by unseen forces to act in a certain way? Do any of them overcome these forces?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)