|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mythical creature does Jack compare Lady Bracknell to?
2. What is the only thing that allows Algernon to put up with his relatives?
3. In what town does the First Act take place?
4. In reality, what it is the relationship between Cecily and Jack?
5. To what composer does Algernon compare his Aunt's ring? Tchaikovsky
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack Worthing's business in London?
2. What orders does Algernon give Lane at the end of the First Act?
3. Describe Algernon Moncrieff.
4. Why doe Jack go by the name of Ernest in London?
5. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
6. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
7. How does Jack Worthing's cigarette case betray his identity to Algernon?
8. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at the Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
9. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
10. How is it that Jack does not know who his parents are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters in The Importance of Being Ernest rely upon fiction to live their lives as they would like:
Part 1.) Describe Algernon's relationship with Bunbury. How does he use his "friend" to avoid unpleasant situations?
Part 2.) Compare Jack's relationship with Ernest to Algernon's with Bunbury? How are his motivations for having a fake associate different? Are his methods more complex?
Part 3.) Compare both Jack and Algernon's fictional associates with Cecily's fantasy life from her diary. How are her motivations and methods different from the men's?
Essay Topic 2
Jack Worthing begins the play admitting to a series of untruths, among them his name and his relationship with Cecily. Do you think that Jack's habit of deceiving those close to him is forgivable since no one is harmed? Do you think that Gwendolen is genuinely hurt by the revelation Jack has lied to her? What about his assertion that Ernest has died?
Essay Topic 3
In the Importance of Being Earnest, certain objects play more central roles in driving action than characters. Write an essay dealing with the following three objects - a paragraph each - and how they affect the outcome of the play:
Part 1.) Algernon's bills
Part 2.) Cecily's diary
Part 3.) The handbag
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)