|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of humanity is Jack sick of?
2. What does Lady Bracknell describe as a "delicate exotic fruit?"
3. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest?"
4. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
5. What item did Jack leave in Algernon's house the last time he called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of advice does Lady Bracknell give Miss Prism after Chasuble declares his love?
2. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name, Ernest?
3. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
4. How do Algernon and Jack break the women's barrier of silence?
5. What misconception does Jack have about Miss Prism after she tells the story of his origins?
6. Do Cecily and Gwendolen believe the men's reasons for deception?
7. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
8. What s the final obstacle the men face in wooing their women, and how do they overcome it?
9. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
10. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act 1?
Essay Topic 1
Jack Worthing begins the play admitting to a series of untruths, among them his name and his relationship with Cecily. Do you think that Jack's habit of deceiving those close to him is forgivable since no one is harmed? Do you think that Gwendolen is genuinely hurt by the revelation Jack has lied to her? What about his assertion that Ernest has died?
Essay Topic 2
The play begins in London and take place largely in a manor house in Woolton. The conflict between town and country is a central component of Oscar WIlde's play.
Part 1.) Where do Jack and Algernon, separately, prefer to relax? How does their preference result in the creation of elaborate deceptions?
Part 2.) How do Cecily and Gwendolen's views of the city and country differ from Jack's and Algernon's? Are their opinions more or less ambiguous?
Part 3.) Write an overview of the relative merits and drawbacks of town and country according to the characters of the play. Be sure to cite which character said these things.
Essay Topic 3
Is Chasuble a religious hypocrite or merely a bumbling blowhard? Make a case for one or the other in essay form, citing statement made and actions taken be Chasuble to corroborate your position.
This section contains 2,122 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)