|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lady Bracknell's first question for Jack?
2. What participle does Jack inadvertently substitute for "married" when he attempts to say "We must get married at once?"
3. What has Gwendolyn asked Lady Bracknell to refrain from?
4. Who is growing too attached to Ernest, in Jack's opinion?
5. What political affiliation does Jack claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act 1?
2. What misconception does Jack have about Miss Prism after she tells the story of his origins?
3. How does Jack respond to the news that Algernon is his brother?
4. What is Cecily's response to Algernon's proposal to her?
5. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act 2?
6. Why do Algernon and Jack have such difficulty choosing a place to have dinner?
7. How does Miss Prism know about Jack Worthing's origins?
8. What, according to Jack and Algernon, is the difference between mothers and fathers in modern society?
9. At the beginning of the final act, what is Cecily and Gwendolen's plan of action?
10. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Lady Bracknell's constant fretting about Gwendolen's inauspicious betrothal, the state of over-education, and comment on train platforms (to name a few examples) indicates an implicit fear of devaluation of high society in England? Write an essay with your position, using statements about the role of the upper class to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Is Chasuble a religious hypocrite or merely a bumbling blowhard? Make a case for one or the other in essay form, citing statement made and actions taken be Chasuble to corroborate your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following three options to write about:
1.) To what extent has Cecily always been at the beck and call of authority figures from Thomas Cardew to Miss Prism. Write three paragraphs about her subjugation to three separate masters and how her diary undermines this control.
2.) Do you think that Gwendolen is an inherently rebellious character or a generally subservient character that acts against her nature in the story? Cite examples from the text to defend your answer.
3.) What is Miss Prism's motivation in the play? What is she running from and why has she decided that she will not marry?
This section contains 2,209 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)