|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cecily's governess?
2. What aspect of humanity is Jack sick of?
3. How does Algernon describe Lane at the end of the First Act?
4. How many of the cucumber sandwiches does Algernon eat?
5. Which of these is not a description of the handbag in which Jack was found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack Worthing's business in London?
2. Why doe Jack go by the name of Ernest in London?
3. Describe Algernon Moncrieff.
4. Name a few of Lady Bracknell's requirements for a suitable bachelor.
5. How is it that Jack does not know who his parents are?
6. What clandestine declaration does Gwendolen make to Jack before she leaves?
7. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
8. Why does Jack intend to "kill" Ernest?
9. Describe Algernon and Jack's conversation concerning Cecily and Gwendolen.
10. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at the Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack Worthing begins the play admitting to a series of untruths, among them his name and his relationship with Cecily. Do you think that Jack's habit of deceiving those close to him is forgivable since no one is harmed? Do you think that Gwendolen is genuinely hurt by the revelation Jack has lied to her? What about his assertion that Ernest has died?
Essay Topic 2
What is Oscar Wilde saying in the play about the power of wit and ingenuity? Does Wilde view this a central skill in overcoming social position. Use Jack Worthing a model in defense of your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay with the thesis that Jack Worthing's decision to hire Miss Prism before the play begins is the reason why the play ends happily. Use the three marriage's as a framing device for your argument.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)