|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
2. What relation is not popular at the present time?
3. Where does Lady Bracknell send Gwendolyn while she questions Jack?
4. Who is Cecily's governess?
5. What does Lane present to Algernon while Jack sees Gwendolen out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bunbury?
2. What orders does Algernon give Lane at the end of the First Act?
3. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
4. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
5. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name Ernest?
6. What is Jack Worthing's business in London?
7. Describe Algernon Moncrieff.
8. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at the Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
9. What, according to Jack and Algernon, is the difference between mothers and fathers in modern society?
10. Why do Algernon and Jack have such difficulty choosing a place to have dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Lady Bracknell's constant fretting about Gwendolen's inauspicious betrothal, the state of over-education, and comment on train platforms (to name a few examples) indicates an implicit fear of devaluation of high society in England? Write an essay with your position, using statements about the role of the upper class to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
The characters of The Importance of Being Earnest live in a society largely unchanged in a dynamic century. As such, they often make disparaging remarks about revolutions going on around them. Write an essay about their attitude toward change, using the text as a guide and dedicating a paragraph to each of the following:
2.) The French Revolution
3.) Women's Rights
Essay Topic 3
The play begins in London and take place largely in a manor house in Woolton. The conflict between town and country is a central component of Oscar WIlde's play:
Part 1.) Where do Jack and Algernon, separately, prefer to relax? How does their preference result int he creation of elaborate deceptions?
Part 2.) How do Cecily and Gwendolen's view of the city and country differ from Jack's and Algernon's? Are their opinions more or less ambiguous?
Part 3.) Write an overview of the relative merits and drawbacks of town and country according to the characters of the play. Be sure to cite which character said these things.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)