|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jack let his town house much of the year?
2. In what town does the First Act take place?
3. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
4. At what age does Gwendolyn say she lost the respect of her mother?
5. How old is Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Algernon Moncrieff.
2. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name Ernest?
3. How is it that Jack does not know who his parents are?
4. How did Cecily become Jack's ward?
5. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at the Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
6. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
7. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
8. Why does Jack intend to "kill" Ernest?
9. How does Jack Worthing's cigarette case betray his identity to Algernon?
10. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay with the thesis that Jack Worthing's decision to hire Miss Prism before the play begins is the reason why the play ends happily. Use the three marriage's as a framing device for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options to write about:
1.) What type of freedom does Ernest allow Jack? Can he do certain things because of Ernest that he could not without him? What unexpected challenges arise because of the freedom Ernest allows?
2.) Write about debt as a driving force in the play? Which characters - both real and fictional - have accumulated debt and how doe they justify it. Cite specific examples in the text.
3.) To what extent are Lane, Miss Prism, and Chasuble all constrained by unseen forces to act in a certain way? Do any of them overcome these forces?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Lady Bracknell's constant fretting about Gwendolen's inauspicious betrothal, the state of over-education, and comment on train platforms (to name a few examples) indicates an implicit fear of devaluation of high society in England? Write an essay with your position, using statements about the role of the upper class to support your claim.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)