|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing that allows Algernon to put up with his relatives?
2. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest"?
3. With what Duchess does Lady Bracknell share a list of eligible English bachelors?
4. What aspect of humanity is Jack sick of?
5. What does Gwendolyn's brother ask all of his girlfriends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack Worthing's business in London?
2. What orders does Algernon give Lane at the end of the First Act?
3. Describe Algernon and Jack's conversation concerning Cecily and Gwendolen.
4. Name a few of Lady Bracknell's requirements for a suitable bachelor.
5. Why doe Jack go by the name of Ernest in London?
6. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
7. How is it that Jack does not know who his parents are?
8. Why do Algernon and Jack have such difficulty choosing a place to have dinner?
9. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name Ernest?
10. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay, focusing on Lady Bracknell's standards for a suitor. Cite three examples of her requirements, and defend her insistence on them. How do Lady Bracknell's concerns reflect the lack of options open to Victorian women.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options to write about:
1.) What type of freedom does Ernest allow Jack? Can he do certain things because of Ernest that he could not without him? What unexpected challenges arise because of the freedom Ernest allows?
2.) Write about debt as a driving force in the play? Which characters - both real and fictional - have accumulated debt and how doe they justify it. Cite specific examples in the text.
3.) To what extent are Lane, Miss Prism, and Chasuble all constrained by unseen forces to act in a certain way? Do any of them overcome these forces?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay with the thesis that Jack Worthing's decision to hire Miss Prism before the play begins is the reason why the play ends happily. Use the three marriage's as a framing device for your argument.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)