|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Gwendolyn asked Lady Bracknell to refrain from?
2. In what county is Jack's country house?
3. What is the only thing that allows Algernon to put up with his relatives?
4. Who is growing too attached to Ernest, in Jack's opinion?
5. According to Lady Bracknell, how with Gwendolyn know when she is engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clandestine declaration does Gwendolen make to Jack before she leaves?
2. What orders does Algernon give Lane at the end of the First Act?
3. Describe Algernon and Jack's conversation concerning Cecily and Gwendolen.
4. What is Lady Bracknell's opinion of Bunbury?
5. Name a few of Lady Bracknell's requirements for a suitable bachelor.
6. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
7. How is it that Jack does not know who his parents are?
8. How does Jack Worthing's cigarette case betray his identity to Algernon?
9. Why doe Jack go by the name of Ernest in London?
10. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1.) What do you think is Oscar Wilde's opinion of the English upper class? Do you consider his portraits of landed English gentry is loving or caustic? Cite examples from the text.
2.) Compare, in three paragraphs, three servant characters and three aristocrats in the play. Which are the more clever and worldly? How much do the upper class characters rely on the servants?
3.) Do you think there is greater personal freedom in being part of the servant class in the Victorian era or being in the Upper class. Cite examples from the text and historical background to justify your stance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay with the thesis that Jack Worthing's decision to hire Miss Prism before the play begins is the reason why the play ends happily. Use the three marriage's as a framing device for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Miss Prism is one of the more complex characters in The Importance of Being Earnest. Write an essay covering the following topics surrounding her character:
Part 1) When we first meet Miss Prism in Act II, what do we think is her passion in life? Does she have one? What are her attitudes - stated or implied - or art and marriage?
Part 2) At what point do we realize that Miss Prism has feelings for Chasuble? What hope does she have of taking him as a husband?
Part 3) How do the revelations about Miss Prism's past affect our understanding of her character? Is she, in the end, a more or less sympathetic character?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)