|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of humanity is Jack sick of?
2. What does Lady Bracknell describe as a "delicate exotic fruit?"
3. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest?"
4. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
5. What item did Jack leave in Algernon's house the last time he called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of advice does Lady Bracknell give Miss Prism after Chasuble declares his love?
2. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name, Ernest?
3. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
4. How do Algernon and Jack break the women's barrier of silence?
5. What misconception does Jack have about Miss Prism after she tells the story of his origins?
6. Do Cecily and Gwendolen believe the men's reasons for deception?
7. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
8. What s the final obstacle the men face in wooing their women, and how do they overcome it?
9. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
10. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act 1?
Essay Topic 1
Is Chasuble a religious hypocrite or merely a bumbling blowhard? Make a case for one or the other in essay form, citing statement made and actions taken be Chasuble to corroborate your position.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters in The Importance of Being Ernest rely upon fiction to live their lives as they would like.
Part 1.) Describe Algernon's relationship with Bunbury. How does he use his "friend" to avoid unpleasant situations?
Part 2.) Compare Jack's relationship with Ernest to Algernon's with Bunbury? How are his motivations for having a fake associate different? Are his methods more complex?
Part 3.) Compare both Jack and Algernon's fictional associates with Cecily's fantasy life from her diary. How are her motivations and methods different from the men's?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following three options to write about:
1.) To what extent has Cecily always been at the beck and call of authority figures from Thomas Cardew to Miss Prism. Write three paragraphs about her subjugation to three separate masters and how her diary undermines this control.
2.) Do you think that Gwendolen is an inherently rebellious character or a generally subservient character that acts against her nature in the story? Cite examples from the text to defend your answer.
3.) What is Miss Prism's motivation in the play? What is she running from and why has she decided that she will not marry?
This section contains 2,122 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)