|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What service does Lady Bracknell require of Algernon on Saturday?
2. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
3. According to Lady Bracknell, how with Gwendolyn know when she is engaged?
4. What does Lady Bracknell describe as a "delicate exotic fruit?"
5. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cecily become Jack's ward?
2. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
3. What orders does Algernon give Lane at the end of the First Act?
4. Describe Algernon Moncrieff.
5. What clandestine declaration does Gwendolen make to Jack before she leaves?
6. What is Jack Worthing's business in London?
7. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name Ernest?
8. How does Jack Worthing's cigarette case betray his identity to Algernon?
9. Who is Bunbury?
10. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play begins in London and take place largely in a manor house in Woolton. The conflict between town and country is a central component of Oscar WIlde's play:
Part 1.) Where do Jack and Algernon, separately, prefer to relax? How does their preference result int he creation of elaborate deceptions?
Part 2.) How do Cecily and Gwendolen's view of the city and country differ from Jack's and Algernon's? Are their opinions more or less ambiguous?
Part 3.) Write an overview of the relative merits and drawbacks of town and country according to the characters of the play. Be sure to cite which character said these things.
Essay Topic 2
The Importance of Being Earnest wittily subverts certain respected establishments in English Victorian society. Write three body paragraphs about how Oscar Wilde uses his play to lampoon the following institutions:
Part 1) The Family and the Household
Part 2) Creditors and solicitors
Part 3) The Church
Essay Topic 3
In the Importance of Being Earnest, certain objects play more central roles in driving action than characters. Write an essay dealing with the following three objects - a paragraph each - and how they affect the outcome of the play:
Part 1.) Algernon's bills
Part 2.) Cecily's diary
Part 3.) The handbag
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)