|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
2. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
3. When does Jack take the name of Ernest?
4. What is Lady Bracknell's first question for Jack?
5. What political affiliation does Jack claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at the Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
2. Who is Bunbury?
3. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name Ernest?
4. What, according to Jack and Algernon, is the difference between mothers and fathers in modern society?
5. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
6. Describe Algernon and Jack's conversation concerning Cecily and Gwendolen.
7. Why do Algernon and Jack have such difficulty choosing a place to have dinner?
8. Why does Jack intend to "kill" Ernest?
9. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
10. What clandestine declaration does Gwendolen make to Jack before she leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay with the thesis that Jack Worthing's decision to hire Miss Prism before the play begins is the reason why the play ends happily. Use the three marriage's as a framing device for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In the Importance of Being Earnest, certain objects play more central roles in driving action than characters. Write an essay dealing with the following three objects - a paragraph each - and how they affect the outcome of the play:
Part 1.) Algernon's bills
Part 2.) Cecily's diary
Part 3.) The handbag
Essay Topic 3
Write about Lady Bracknell as the driving force in the play. Cite three examples of moments where she is the sole arbiter of the another character's fate. How is the climax a result of her machinations?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)