|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) She lost the manuscript
(b) She never finished it
(c) No publisher would take it
(d) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
2. Where does Cecily get her ideas for her diary?
(a) In the garden
(b) From Miss Prism's reading
(c) At church
(d) In her room
3. Why will Cecily not allow Algernon to read her diary?
(a) It is improper
(b) It is in secret language
(c) She intends to publish it
(d) It is all about him
4. Which two words do Miss Prism and Cecily confuse as they talk about Jack and his "brother"?
(a) dirth and death
(b) sow and sew
(c) night and knight
(d) great and grate
5. Who is the other partner in Grigsby's soliciting firm?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Algernon describe the day?
2. Why does Algernon suggest Jack not get christened?
3. How does Jack describe Algernon's eating in times of distress?
4. What lunch has Jack traditionally been enjoying of late?
5. What does Chasuble quote in Act III as proof of a religious revival?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Algernon arrives under the guise Ernest, what does Cecily tell him about Jack's plans?
2. After the two women storm off, what is Algernon's attitude?
3. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
4. Why does Gwendolen state that she wishes Cecily were older?
5. What news does Jack bring with him when he returns home from London.
6. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
7. Why is Cecily always distracted from her lessons?
8. How does Cecily get rid of Miss Prism at the the beginning of Act II?
9. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act II?
10. What order does Jack give to Algernon after the women go in to lunch?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)