|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Algernon claim he left London before Monday?
(a) He cannot stand the city during the weekends
(b) He has an equestrian event to attend
(c) He must visit his invalid friend
(d) He has an appointment on Monday he wants to miss
2. Whom has Gwendolen already contacted about her betrothal to Ernest?
(a) Westminster Cathedral
(b) Her father
(c) The Census Bureau
(d) The Morning Post
3. Where does Cecily get her ideas for her diary?
(a) In her room
(b) At church
(c) In the garden
(d) From Miss Prism's reading
4. Why does Gwendolyn decline sugar in her tea?
(a) It is out of style
(b) She prefers lemon
(c) It is too rich
(d) She fears poisoning
5. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) She never finished it
(b) No publisher would take it
(c) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
(d) She lost the manuscript
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cecily's constant distraction?
2. What mission does Algernon give Cecily?
3. Why does Algernon suggest Jack not get christened?
4. Who does Cecily wish would come to the country manor?
5. What is Cecily's justification that she should not have to learn German?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
2. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
3. What news does Jack bring with him when he returns home from London.
4. Why is Cecily always distracted from her lessons?
5. What reason does Miss Prism give for not wanting Ernest to be saved from his vices?
6. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
7. Describe Chasuble.
8. What has Algernon arranged for later in the afternoon that jack has as well?
9. What is Cecily's response to Algernon's proposal to her?
10. What order does Jack give to Algernon after the women go in to lunch?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)