|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two words do Miss Prism and Cecily confuse as they talk about Jack and his "brother"?
(a) dirth and death
(b) night and knight
(c) great and grate
(d) sow and sew
2. What workman's item does Gwendolen claim never to have seen?
(a) A work glove
(b) An axe
(c) A spade
(d) A piece of coal
3. What German writer is Cecily studying at the top of Act II?
4. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
(a) He left for Australia
(b) She was too young
(c) She danced with another man
(d) He danced with another woman
5. With what does Grigsby present Algernon?
(a) His luggage
(b) A bill
(c) A sherry
(d) A bible
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Cecily claim Miss prism has?
2. What is Cecily's justification that she should not have to learn German?
3. Next to whose room does Merriman place Algernon's luggage?
4. How does Algernon explain the money he owes for various dinners in London to Cecily?
5. What does Gwendolen beg Cecily to call her after they realize they are deceived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gwendolen state that she wishes Cecily were older?
2. When Algernon arrives under the guise Ernest, what does Cecily tell him about Jack's plans?
3. What argument does Jack make to Algernon about eating in times of despair, and why at the end of Act II?
4. What favor does Jack request of Chasuble?
5. Describe Chasuble.
6. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
7. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
8. Describe Cecily and Miss Prisms opposing views on writing.
9. What reason does Miss Prism give for not wanting Ernest to be saved from his vices?
10. What order does Jack give to Algernon after the women go in to lunch?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)