Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of humanity is Jack sick of?
2. What does Lady Bracknell describe as a "delicate exotic fruit?"
(b) Her daughter
(d) Social bearing
3. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest?"
(a) His name
(b) His wit
(c) His money
(d) His eyes
4. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
(a) Move away from England
(b) Join the Church
(c) Marry off Cecily
(d) Kill off "Ernest"
5. What item did Jack leave in Algernon's house the last time he called?
(a) An engagement ring
(b) A book
(c) His hat
(d) A cigarette case
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lady Bracknell feel about Jack's having lost both of his parents?
2. Who is growing too attached to Ernest, in Jack's opinion?
3. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
4. Which of these is not a description of the handbag in which Jack was found?
5. According to Lady Bracknell, how will Gwendolyn know when she is engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of advice does Lady Bracknell give Miss Prism after Chasuble declares his love?
2. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name, Ernest?
3. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
4. How do Algernon and Jack break the women's barrier of silence?
5. What misconception does Jack have about Miss Prism after she tells the story of his origins?
6. Do Cecily and Gwendolen believe the men's reasons for deception?
7. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
8. What s the final obstacle the men face in wooing their women, and how do they overcome it?
9. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
10. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act 1?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)