|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the most interesting people, according to Algernon?
(a) Those who enjoy your present
(b) Those who choose not to speak
(c) Those you haven't met
(d) Those with a willingness to lend money
2. In what perpetual state is Algernon, according to Jack?
3. According to Algernon, what do the lower classes lack a sense of?
(a) Respect for their betters
(b) Moral responsibility
(d) Duty to country
4. What is the only thing that allows Algernon to put up with his relatives?
(a) The ocassional loans
(b) The gossip about his friends
(c) Hearing them privately abused
(d) Seeing them leave
5. According to Algernon, what is the essence of romance?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
2. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
3. Why does Mr. Thomas Cardew give baby Jack the surname Worthing?
4. What does Algernon find decidedly unromantic?
5. To whom does Jack let his townhouse much of the year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that Jack does not know who his parents are?
2. In what stalemate do the couples find themselves midway through the final act of the play?
3. How do Cecily and Gwendolen learn the truth about Ernest?
4. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
5. What changes in Ernest's behavior does Algernon announce when he arrives at Jack's country house?
6. After the two women storm off, what is Algernon's attitude?
7. Why does Jack go by the name of Ernest in London?
8. Why does Gwendolen state that she wishes Cecily were older?
9. What clandestine declaration does Gwendolen make to Jack before she leaves?
10. What misconception does Jack have about Miss Prism after she tells the story of his origins?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)