|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lane present to Algernon while Jack sees Gwendolen out?
2. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
(a) He fears she would be jealous
(b) He cannot explain their relationship
(c) She has not asked
(d) He would have to reveal his true name
3. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest?"
(a) His eyes
(b) His name
(c) His money
(d) His wit
4. To what composer does Algernon compare his Aunt's ring?
5. What does Algernon find decidedly unromantic?
(a) A Cucumber Sandwich
(c) A Waltz
(d) A Proposal
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
2. According to Lady Bracknell, how will Gwendolyn know when she is engaged?
3. What mythical creature does Jack compare Lady Bracknell to?
4. Who are the most interesting people, according to Algernon?
5. Where does "Ernest" have a country house?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the two women storm off, what is Algernon's attitude?
2. What argument does Chasuble make to justify asking Miss Prism to marry him?
3. What does Jack mean by his final statement about knowing the vital importance of being earnest?
4. What reassurance does Lady Bracknell give Cecily regarding not being able to marry until she is thirty-five?
5. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
6. What does Cecily do to anger Gwendolen as they take tea?
7. What misconception does Jack have about Miss Prism after she tells the story of his origins?
8. What is Lady Bracknell's opinion of Bunbury?
9. How does Jack discover that his real name is Ernest?
10. Why does Jack intend to "kill" Ernest?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)