|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lady Bracknell's first question for Jack?
(a) Are your parents living?
(b) What is your income?
(c) What are your politics?
(d) Do you smoke?
2. In terms of playing music, what is Algernon's forte?
3. Where does Lady Bracknell send Gwendolyn while she questions Jack?
(a) The garden
(b) The dining room
(c) The carriage
(d) The study
4. What does Lady Bracknell describe as a "delicate exotic fruit?"
(b) Social bearing
(d) Her daughter
5. What does Cecily pay no attention to, according to Jack?
(a) Her lessons
(b) The advances of boys
(c) Her spending
(d) His warnings
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Algernon, what do the lower classes lack a sense of?
2. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
3. According to Algernon, what is the essence of romance?
4. How does Lady Bracknell feel about Jack's having lost both of his parents?
5. What service does Lady Bracknell require of Algernon on Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name Ernest?
2. How did Cecily become Jack's ward?
3. What, according to Jack and Algernon, is the difference between mothers and fathers in modern society?
4. Why doe Jack go by the name of Ernest in London?
5. Why do Algernon and Jack have such difficulty choosing a place to have dinner?
6. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
7. How is it that Jack does not know who his parents are?
8. Why does Algernon discreetly write down Jack's country address on his cuff?
9. Why does Jack intend to "kill" Ernest?
10. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)