|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
2. What relation is not popular at the present time?
3. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
(a) A substantial dowry
(b) The handbag in which he was found
(c) His "brother's" credentials
(d) A lord to vouch for him
4. According to Algernon, what do the lower classes lack a sense of?
(a) Duty to country
(c) Respect for their betters
(d) Moral responsibility
5. Which of these is not a description of the handbag in which Jack was found?
(a) It was leather
(b) It was black
(c) It was torn at the side
(d) It had handles
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Algernon find decidedly unromantic?
2. Which of the following is not a condition that Jack and Algernon consider to kill Ernest?
3. What is the only thing that allows Algernon to put up with his relatives?
4. What has Gwendolyn asked Lady Bracknell to refrain from?
5. How does Lady Bracknell feel about Jack's having lost both of his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
2. Name a few of Lady Bracknell's requirements for a suitable bachelor.
3. How did Cecily become Jack's ward?
4. How does Jack Worthing's cigarette case betray his identity to Algernon?
5. What orders does Algernon give Lane at the end of the First Act?
6. Why do Algernon and Jack have such difficulty choosing a place to have dinner?
7. Describe Algernon and Jack's conversation concerning Cecily and Gwendolen.
8. Why does Jack intend to "kill" Ernest?
9. What, according to Jack and Algernon, is the difference between mothers and fathers in modern society?
10. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at the Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)