|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a condition that Jack and Algernon consider to kill Ernest?
(d) A slight chill
2. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
3. What is Algernon enjoying at the end of the Act?
(a) A sherry and a cigarette
(b) A tea and a song
(c) A coffee and a biscuit
(d) A whiskey and a sanwich
4. What does Gwendolyn's brother ask all of his girlfriends?
(a) For money
(b) To marry him
(c) For advice
(d) For directions
5. How old is Cecily?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cecily's governess?
2. With what Duchess does Lady Bracknell share a list of eligible English bachelors?
3. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
4. In what town does the First Act take place?
5. Where does Algernon suggest dining instead of the Savoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are there no cucumber sandwiches at the Algernon's when Lady Bracknell arrives?
2. What orders does Algernon give Lane at the end of the First Act?
3. What clandestine declaration does Gwendolen make to Jack before she leaves?
4. What is Jack Worthing's business in London?
5. What does Gwendolen love so much about the name Ernest?
6. Why doe Jack go by the name of Ernest in London?
7. What is Lady Bracknell's response to the story of Jack's adoption?
8. Why do Algernon and Jack have such difficulty choosing a place to have dinner?
9. Describe Algernon Moncrieff.
10. What is Algernon's stated opinion of love and marriage in Act I?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)