|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) She never finished it
(b) No publisher would take it
(c) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
(d) She lost the manuscript
2. What adjective does Cecily use to describe the name Algernon?
3. How does Cecily have letters from Ernest?
(a) She wrote them herself
(b) Algernon wrote them
(c) Jack wrote them
(d) Other boys wrote them and she changed the name
4. What does Chasuble claim was the reference in his unintentionally romantic comment to Miss Prism?
5. What does Chasuble quote in Act III as proof of a religious revival?
(a) The Confessions of St. Augustine
(b) The previous year's Almanack
(c) The Times of London
(d) The Beggar's Opera
6. What attribute of Ernest does Cecily love?
(a) His name
(b) His taste
(c) All of the above
(d) His hair
7. Which of the following is not an aspect of Algernon's character that Jack assails when he tells him to leave the manner
(a) His conduct
(b) His style of dress
(c) His vanity
(d) His appetite
8. About whom has Algernon - as Ernest - been talking to Cecily?
(b) Lady Bracknell
(d) Miss Prism
9. What workman's item does Gwendolen claim never to have seen?
(a) An axe
(b) A spade
(c) A piece of coal
(d) A work glove
10. Next to whose room does Merriman place Algernon's luggage?
(d) Miss Prism's
11. What is Miss Prism's first name?
12. Why is Miss Prism concerned by Chasuble's being in the vestry?
(a) It is very dry
(b) It is very damp
(c) It is very lonely
(d) It is very hot
13. Who does Cecily wish would come to the country manor?
14. How many pounds does Ernest owe the Savoy?
15. What is Algernon eating at the end of the Act?
(c) Pate sandwiches
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack tell Algernon has happened to Bunbury?
2. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
3. What vulgar people does Algernon suggest bandy about there business in cocktail parties?
4. Immediately after proposing to Cecily, who does Algernon seek out?
5. What does Miss Prism recommend to Chasuble?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)