|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon finding out the Cecily is Mr. Worthing's ward, how old does Gwendolen wish Cecily was?
2. Where does Cecily get her ideas for her diary?
(a) In her room
(b) At church
(c) From Miss Prism's reading
(d) In the garden
3. What adjective does Cecily use to describe the name Algernon?
4. What vulgar people does Algernon suggest bandy about there business in cocktail parties?
5. Which two words do Miss Prism and Cecily confuse as they talk about Jack and his "brother"?
(a) dirth and death
(b) night and knight
(c) great and grate
(d) sow and sew
6. When Algernon arrives, under what name is he traveling?
7. What does Miss Prism recommend to Chasuble?
(a) That they not walk together anymore
(b) That he refrain from dairy
(c) That he take up learning German
(d) That he marry
8. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) She lost the manuscript
(b) She never finished it
(c) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
(d) No publisher would take it
9. According to Grigsby, who generally pays outstanding debts for the debtor?
(a) A creditor
(b) The Church
(c) Their relations
(d) Their spouse
10. What workman's item does Gwendolen claim never to have seen?
(a) A piece of coal
(b) An axe
(c) A spade
(d) A work glove
11. What minor character defames the German language at the beginning of the Act?
(b) Mr. Grigsby
12. What does Miss Prism instruct Cecily to read while she is gone?
(a) German History
(b) Geometic Theory
(c) Political Economy
(d) Verb Conjugation
13. What does Cecily do with the scissors?
(a) Cut a rose for Algernon
(b) Scare off Algernon's advances
(c) Prune a bush while Algernon eats
(d) Cut a thread from the hem of her skirts
14. As she copies Algernon's words into her diary, what does Cecily chastise him for doing?
15. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
(a) She was too young
(b) He left for Australia
(c) He danced with another woman
(d) She danced with another man
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gwendolyn decline sugar in her tea?
2. Why will Cecily not allow Algernon to read her diary?
3. How does Jack describe Algernon's eating in times of distress?
4. Why is Miss Prism concerned by Chasuble's being in the vestry?
5. What, according to Miss Prism, does Socialism lead to?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)