|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cecily do with the scissors?
(a) Prune a bush while Algernon eats
(b) Cut a rose for Algernon
(c) Scare off Algernon's advances
(d) Cut a thread from the hem of her skirts
2. According to Grigsby, who generally pays outstanding debts for the debtor?
(a) Their relations
(b) The Church
(c) A creditor
(d) Their spouse
3. Why does Gwendolyn decline sugar in her tea?
(a) It is out of style
(b) It is too rich
(c) She prefers lemon
(d) She fears poisoning
4. What is Algernon eating at the end of the Act?
(a) Pate sandwiches
5. How does Cecily have letters from Ernest?
(a) She wrote them herself
(b) Algernon wrote them
(c) Other boys wrote them and she changed the name
(d) Jack wrote them
6. What minor character defames the German language at the beginning of the Act?
(c) Mr. Grigsby
7. What is Cecily's constant distraction?
(a) Her narcolepsy
(b) Her appetite
(c) The gardener
(d) Her diary
8. Who does Cecily wish would come to the country manor?
9. What German writer is Cecily studying at the top of Act II?
10. For how long does Cecily say she and Ernest have been engaged?
(a) One month
(b) Six months
(c) One hour
(d) Three months
11. Next to whose room does Merriman place Algernon's luggage?
(b) Miss Prism's
12. Who is the other partner in Grigsby's soliciting firm?
13. What does Algernon claim to be when he meets Cecily?
(a) Cunning but not vicious
(b) Charming but not saturnine
(c) Extravagent but not profligate
(d) Reckless but not wicked
14. What is Gwendolyn given with her tea?
(a) Bread and butter
15. What does Chasuble claim was the reference in his unintentionally romantic comment to Miss Prism?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many counties can one see from the hills of around the manor?
2. What workman's item does Gwendolen claim never to have seen?
3. What does Gwendolen beg Cecily to call her after they realize they are deceived?
4. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
5. When the Cecily and Gwendolen both discover that each is engaged to Ernest, what do they compare?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)