|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As she copies Algernon's words into her diary, what does Cecily chastise him for doing?
2. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) No publisher would take it
(b) She never finished it
(c) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
(d) She lost the manuscript
3. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
(a) She danced with another man
(b) He danced with another woman
(c) She was too young
(d) He left for Australia
4. What vulgar people does Algernon suggest bandy about there business in cocktail parties?
5. Why does Algernon suggest Jack not get christened?
(a) The name "Jack" suits him
(b) It is tedious
(c) He might get a chill
(d) It is blashpemous
6. At the end of the act, why does Algernon not want to see Cecily in the garden?
(a) He fears her anger
(b) He does not know what to say
(c) She expects him
(d) She forbids him
7. How does Algernon explain the money he owes for various dinners in London to Cecily?
(a) A large debt is a sign of wealth in London
(b) He has been confused with another man
(c) He runs a soup kitchen in the city
(d) They were for Bunbury
8. For how long does Cecily say she and Ernest have been engaged?
(a) Six months
(b) One month
(c) One hour
(d) Three months
9. When Algernon arrives, under what name is he traveling?
10. Why is Miss Prism concerned by Chasuble's being in the vestry?
(a) It is very lonely
(b) It is very damp
(c) It is very hot
(d) It is very dry
11. Which of these is not an occasion when Chasuble has preach his sermon on manna?
(c) Festal Days
12. What does Chasuble quote in Act III as proof of a religious revival?
(a) The Confessions of St. Augustine
(b) The previous year's Almanack
(c) The Beggar's Opera
(d) The Times of London
13. What does Jack tell Algernon has happened to Bunbury?
(a) He has moved away
(b) He has recuperated
(c) He has exploded
(d) He has found a proper nurse
14. Next to whose room does Merriman place Algernon's luggage?
(a) Miss Prism's
15. What does Algernon claim to be when he meets Cecily?
(a) Cunning but not vicious
(b) Charming but not saturnine
(c) Reckless but not wicked
(d) Extravagent but not profligate
Short Answer Questions
1. What attribute of Ernest does Cecily love?
2. With what does Grigsby present Algernon?
3. Who does Chasuble cite in chastising Algernon for gluttony?
4. How does Cecily have letters from Ernest?
5. How does Jack feel about affection?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)