|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What minor character defames the German language at the beginning of the Act?
(d) Mr. Grigsby
2. Who does Chasuble cite in chastising Algernon for gluttony?
(a) St. Augustine
(c) St. Paul
3. How does Cecily have letters from Ernest?
(a) Jack wrote them
(b) Other boys wrote them and she changed the name
(c) She wrote them herself
(d) Algernon wrote them
4. Where does Cecily tell Algernon he is being sent?
5. How many pounds does Ernest owe the Savoy?
6. What does Chasuble claim was the reference in his unintentionally romantic comment to Miss Prism?
7. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
(b) No publisher would take it
(c) She lost the manuscript
(d) She never finished it
8. Why does Algernon claim he left London before Monday?
(a) He must visit his invalid friend
(b) He has an appointment on Monday he wants to miss
(c) He cannot stand the city during the weekends
(d) He has an equestrian event to attend
9. What adjective does Cecily use to describe the name Algernon?
10. What is Cecily's justification that she should not have to learn German?
(a) Germany is overpopulated
(b) Germany has done nothing for Britain
(c) There is no profit in learning German
(d) German is a boorish language
11. When Cecily and Gwendolen both discover that each is engaged to Ernest, what do they compare?
(a) Wedding notices
12. What vulgar people does Algernon suggest bandy about their business in cocktail parties?
13. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
(a) She was too young
(b) She danced with another man
(c) He left for Australia
(d) He danced with another woman
14. Who is the other partner in Grigsby's soliciting firm?
15. What workman's item does Gwendolen claim never to have seen?
(a) A spade
(b) A piece of coal
(c) An axe
(d) A work glove
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cecily get her ideas for her diary?
2. What is Gwendolyn given with her tea?
3. What ailment does Cecily claim Miss prism has?
4. Why will Cecily not allow Algernon to read her diary?
5. Which of these is not an occasion when Chasuble has preached his sermon on manna?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)