|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gwendolyn decline sugar in her tea?
(a) It is too rich
(b) She prefers lemon
(c) It is out of style
(d) She fears poisoning
2. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) No publisher would take it
(b) She lost the manuscript
(c) She never finished it
(d) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
3. What German writer is Cecily studying at the top of Act II?
4. How does Cecily have letters from Ernest?
(a) Algernon wrote them
(b) Other boys wrote them and she changed the name
(c) She wrote them herself
(d) Jack wrote them
5. Immediately after proposing to Cecily, who does Algernon seek out?
(a) Lady Bracknell
(c) Miss Prism
6. About whom has Algernon - as Ernest - been talking to Cecily?
(a) Lady Bracknell
(b) Miss Prism
7. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
(a) He left for Australia
(b) She danced with another man
(c) He danced with another woman
(d) She was too young
8. According to Grigsby, who generally pays outstanding debts for the debtor?
(a) Their relations
(b) The Church
(c) A creditor
(d) Their spouse
9. At the end of the act, why does Algernon not want to see Cecily in the garden?
(a) He fears her anger
(b) She expects him
(c) She forbids him
(d) He does not know what to say
10. Who is the other partner in Grigsby's soliciting firm?
11. Why is Miss Prism concerned by Chasuble's being in the vestry?
(a) It is very hot
(b) It is very dry
(c) It is very lonely
(d) It is very damp
12. What is Gwendolyn given with her tea?
(b) Bread and butter
13. What does Miss Prism recommend to Chasuble?
(a) That they not walk together anymore
(b) That he marry
(c) That he take up learning German
(d) That he refrain from dairy
14. How does Algernon describe the day?
(a) Rather hot
(b) The worst Bunbury he has had
(c) The most wonderful Bunbury he has had
(d) A middling Bunbury
15. What does Jack tell Algernon has happened to Bunbury?
(a) He has recuperated
(b) He has found a proper nurse
(c) He has exploded
(d) He has moved away
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chasuble quote in Act III as proof of a religious revival?
2. Why does Algernon suggest Jack not get christened?
3. What minor character defames the German language at the beginning of the Act?
4. What, according to Miss Prism, does Socialism lead to?
5. For how long does Cecily say she and Ernest have been engaged?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)