|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Miss Prism's first name?
2. What does Algernon claim to be when he meets Cecily?
(a) Cunning but not vicious
(b) Extravagent but not profligate
(c) Charming but not saturnine
(d) Reckless but not wicked
3. What does Cecily do with the scissors?
(a) Cut a thread from the hem of her skirts
(b) Cut a rose for Algernon
(c) Scare off Algernon's advances
(d) Prune a bush while Algernon eats
4. What, according to Miss Prism, does Socialism lead to?
(a) Dissolution of the family
(c) Rational dress for women
(d) Vulgar literature
5. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) She lost the manuscript
(b) No publisher would take it
(c) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
(d) She never finished it
6. Whom has Gwendolen already contacted about her betrothal to Ernest?
(a) Westminster Cathedral
(b) The Morning Post
(c) Her father
(d) The Census Bureau
7. Who is the other partner in Grigsby's soliciting firm?
8. Why does Algernon claim he left London before Monday?
(a) He must visit his invalid friend
(b) He cannot stand the city during the weekends
(c) He has an appointment on Monday he wants to miss
(d) He has an equestrian event to attend
9. Upon finding out the Cecily is Mr. Worthing's ward, how old does Gwendolen wish Cecily was?
10. When the Cecily and Gwendolen both discover that each is engaged to Ernest, what do they compare?
(b) Wedding notices
11. Where does Cecily tell Algernon he is being sent?
12. What ailment does Cecily claim Miss prism has?
(a) A general malaise
(b) A slight chill
(c) A headache
(d) An allergy attack
13. Next to whose room does Merriman place Algernon's luggage?
(c) Miss Prism's
14. What does Chasuble claim was the reference in his unintentionally romantic comment to Miss Prism?
15. What is Cecily's justification that she should not have to learn German?
(a) Germany has done nothing for Britain
(b) Germany is overpopulated
(c) German is a boorish language
(d) There is no profit in learning German
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gwendolen beg Cecily to call her after they realize they are deceived?
2. As she copies Algernon's words into her diary, what does Cecily chastise him for doing?
3. What minor character defames the German language at the beginning of the Act?
4. Why does Algernon suggest Jack not get christened?
5. Who does Cecily wish would come to the country manor?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)