|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About whom has Algernon - as Ernest - been talking to Cecily?
(a) Lady Bracknell
(b) Miss Prism
2. Why does Algernon claim he left London before Monday?
(a) He has an equestrian event to attend
(b) He must visit his invalid friend
(c) He cannot stand the city during the weekends
(d) He has an appointment on Monday he wants to miss
3. Why did Cecily and Ernest break off their first engagement?
(a) She danced with another man
(b) He danced with another woman
(c) She was too young
(d) He left for Australia
4. How does Jack describe Algernon's eating in times of distress?
5. For how long does Cecily say she and Ernest have been engaged?
(a) One month
(b) Three months
(c) One hour
(d) Six months
6. Why was Miss Prism's novel never published?
(a) She lost the manuscript
(b) The editor stole the manuscript and published it himself
(c) No publisher would take it
(d) She never finished it
7. Whom has Gwendolen already contacted about her betrothal to Ernest?
(a) Westminster Cathedral
(b) The Census Bureau
(c) The Morning Post
(d) Her father
8. How does Algernon explain the money he owes for various dinners in London to Cecily?
(a) He has been confused with another man
(b) He runs a soup kitchen in the city
(c) They were for Bunbury
(d) A large debt is a sign of wealth in London
9. What workman's item does Gwendolen claim never to have seen?
(a) An axe
(b) A piece of coal
(c) A work glove
(d) A spade
10. What does Chasuble quote in Act III as proof of a religious revival?
(a) The Times of London
(b) The previous year's Almanack
(c) The Beggar's Opera
(d) The Confessions of St. Augustine
11. According to Grigsby, who generally pays outstanding debts for the debtor?
(a) The Church
(b) Their spouse
(c) A creditor
(d) Their relations
12. What is Miss Prism's first name?
13. Who does Cecily wish would come to the country manor?
14. What lunch has Jack traditionally been enjoying of late?
(a) water and biscuits
(b) roast beef and lager
(c) pate sandwiches and champagne
(d) tea and cucumber sandwiches
15. Why will Cecily not allow Algernon to read her diary?
(a) It is all about him
(b) She intends to publish it
(c) It is improper
(d) It is in secret language
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cecily's justification that she should not have to learn German?
2. What is Gwendolyn given with her tea?
3. How many counties can one see from the hills of around the manor?
4. Upon finding out the Cecily is Mr. Worthing's ward, how old does Gwendolen wish Cecily was?
5. Why does Algernon suggest Jack not get christened?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)