|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Bracknell describe as a "delicate exotic fruit?"
(a) Her daughter
(b) Social bearing
2. On what day is Jack leaving town?
3. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
(a) They are engaged
(b) They are siblings
(c) She is his aunt
(d) He is her father
4. What has Gwendolyn asked Lady Bracknell to refrain from?
(a) Quoting scripture
(b) Pocketing silverware
(c) Abruptly reentering rooms
(d) Berating the servants publicly
5. What does Cecily pay no attention to, according to Jack?
(a) Her lessons
(b) Her spending
(c) The advances of boys
(d) His warnings
6. In reality, what it is the relationship between Cecily and Jack?
(a) They are engaged
(b) She does not exist
(c) They are siblings
(d) She is his ward
7. How does Algernon describe Lane at the end of the First Act?
(a) A rube
(b) A pessimist
(c) A modern stoic
(d) A prig
8. Where does "Ernest" have a country house?
9. How does Lady Bracknell feel about Jack's having lost both of his parents?
(a) It is unfortunate
(b) It is careless
(c) It is tragic
(d) It is inconsequential
10. What mythical creature does Jack compare Lady Bracknell to?
(a) A Leviathan
(b) A Gorgon
(c) A Minotaur
(d) A Harpy
11. Why do servants steal more champagne in the houses of bachelors?
(a) The servants are never as drunk as their masters
(b) There is less to do
(c) The wine is better
(d) The men are less observant
12. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
(a) He would have to reveal his true name
(b) He cannot explain their relationship
(c) She has not asked
(d) He fears she would be jealous
13. Who is Cecily's governess?
(a) Lady Bracknell
(b) She has none
(c) Miss Prism
14. How many of the cucumber sandwiches does Algernon eat?
(a) None of them
(b) All of them
(c) Half of them
(d) One of them
15. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest"?
(a) His eyes
(b) His wit
(c) His money
(d) His name
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a condition that Jack and Algernon consider to kill Ernest?
2. How old is Cecily?
3. With what Duchess does Lady Bracknell share a list of eligible English bachelors?
4. Where does Lady Bracknell send Gwendolyn while she questions Jack?
5. At what age does Gwendolyn say she lost the respect of her mother?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)