|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
(a) He cannot explain their relationship
(b) He would have to reveal his true name
(c) She has not asked
(d) He fears she would be jealous
2. In reality, what it is the relationship between Cecily and Jack?
(a) She does not exist
(b) They are engaged
(c) They are siblings
(d) She is his ward
3. What political affiliation does Jack claim?
(a) Liberal Unionist
(d) Social Democrat
4. Which of these is not a suggestion that Algernon makes as to what they should do after dinner?
(a) The Empire
(b) The Theatre
(c) The Club
(d) The Games House
5. What adjective does Lady Bracknell use to describe Algernon's association with the invalid "Bunbury"?
6. Who is growing too attached to Ernest, in Jack's opinion?
(c) Miss Prism
7. What does Gwendolyn's brother ask all of his girlfriends?
(a) For directions
(b) For money
(c) To marry him
(d) For advice
8. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
(a) The handbag in which he was found
(b) A substantial dowry
(c) His "brother's" credentials
(d) A lord to vouch for him
9. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
(a) She is his aunt
(b) He is her father
(c) They are engaged
(d) They are siblings
10. In terms of playing music, what is Algernon's forte?
11. On what topic does Gwendolyn ask Jack to refrain from speaking?
12. Why does Mr. Thomas Cardew give baby Jack the surname Worthing?
(a) It was Cardew's mother's maiden name
(b) It was the first word that came to mind
(c) It is the name of Cardew's favorite footballer
(d) It was the destination of his ticket
13. What does Lane present to Algernon while Jack sees Gwendolen out?
14. Who is Cecily's governess?
(a) She has none
(b) Miss Prism
(c) Lady Bracknell
15. What aspect of humanity is Jack sick of?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Algernon, what do the lower classes lack a sense of?
2. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
3. At what age does Gwendolyn say she lost the respect of her mother?
4. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest"?
5. Who are the most interesting people, according to Algernon?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)