|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Thomas Cardew give baby Jack the surname Worthing?
(a) It was the destination of his ticket
(b) It is the name of Cardew's favorite footballer
(c) It was the first word that came to mind
(d) It was Cardew's mother's maiden name
2. On what day is Jack leaving town?
3. Which of these is not a suggestion that Algernon makes as to where they should go after dinner?
(a) The Empire
(b) The Club
(c) The Theatre
(d) The Games House
4. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
(a) Marry off Cecily
(b) Move away from England
(c) Kill off "Ernest"
(d) Join the Church
5. When does Jack take the name of Ernest?
(a) When he signs legal documents
(b) When he is in the country
(c) When he is in town
(d) When he travels abroad
6. How many of the cucumber sandwiches does Algernon eat?
(a) One of them
(b) All of them
(c) Half of them
(d) None of them
7. Which of the following is not a condition that Jack and Algernon consider to kill Ernest?
(c) A slight chill
8. What does Gwendolyn's brother ask all of his girlfriends?
(a) To marry him
(b) For directions
(c) For money
(d) For advice
9. What most attracts Gwendolyn to "Ernest?"
(a) His eyes
(b) His money
(c) His name
(d) His wit
10. According to Algernon, what is the essence of romance?
11. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
(a) A substantial dowry
(b) The handbag in which he was found
(c) His "brother's" credentials
(d) A lord to vouch for him
12. What item does Gwendolen take with her as she leaves?
(a) The railway guide
(b) The trivet
(c) The cigarette holder
(d) The bell
13. How does Lady Bracknell feel about Jack's having lost both of his parents?
(a) It is careless
(b) It is inconsequential
(c) It is tragic
(d) It is unfortunate
14. What is Algernon enjoying at the end of the Act?
(a) A sherry and a cigarette
(b) A whiskey and a sanwich
(c) A coffee and a biscuit
(d) A tea and a song
15. About how much money does "Ernest" owe the Savoy?
(a) 700 pounds
(b) 1000 pounds
(c) 200 pounds
(d) 500 pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Ernest" have a country house?
2. How old is Jack?
3. What does Cecily pay no attention to, according to Jack?
4. What is Lady Bracknell's first question for Jack?
5. Where is Jack going to "kill" Ernest?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)