|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
(a) He cannot explain their relationship
(b) He would have to reveal his true name
(c) She has not asked
(d) He fears she would be jealous
2. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
(a) Kill off "Ernest"
(b) Move away from England
(c) Marry off Cecily
(d) Join the Church
3. What is the only thing that allows Algernon to put up with his relatives?
(a) The gossip about his friends
(b) Seeing them leave
(c) Hearing them privately abused
(d) The ocassional loans
4. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
(a) They are siblings
(b) He is her father
(c) She is his aunt
(d) They are engaged
5. Who is Cecily's governess?
(a) Lady Bracknell
(c) Miss Prism
(d) She has none
6. What is Algernon enjoying at the end of the Act?
(a) A sherry and a cigarette
(b) A coffee and a biscuit
(c) A tea and a song
(d) A whiskey and a sanwich
7. What does Lane present to Algernon while Jack sees Gwendolen out?
8. What does Cecily pay no attention to, according to Jack?
(a) Her lessons
(b) The advances of boys
(c) His warnings
(d) Her spending
9. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
(a) A substantial dowry
(b) A lord to vouch for him
(c) His "brother's" credentials
(d) The handbag in which he was found
10. What participle does Jack inadvertently substitute for "married" when he attempts to say "We must get married at once"?
11. What item does Gwendolen take with her as she leaves?
(a) The bell
(b) The cigarette holder
(c) The trivet
(d) The railway guide
12. Who are the most interesting people, according to Algernon?
(a) Those who choose not to speak
(b) Those with a willingness to lend money
(c) Those who enjoy your present
(d) Those you haven't met
13. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
14. When does Jack take the name of Ernest?
(a) When he travels abroad
(b) When he is in the country
(c) When he is in town
(d) When he signs legal documents
15. What item did Jack leave in Algernon's house the last time he called?
(a) A book
(b) An engagement ring
(c) A cigarette case
(d) His hat
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does does Algernon suggest one should check on one's relations?
2. What has Gwendolyn asked Lady Bracknell to refrain from?
3. In what county is Jack's country house?
4. According to Lady Bracknell, how with Gwendolyn know when she is engaged?
5. What political affiliation does Jack claim?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)