|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town does the First Act take place?
2. How often does does Algernon suggest one should check on one's relations?
(a) Once a month
(c) Once a season
(d) Once a week
3. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
(a) A lord to vouch for him
(b) The handbag in which he was found
(c) A substantial dowry
(d) His "brother's" credentials
4. What does Gwendolyn's brother ask all of his girlfriends?
(a) For money
(b) To marry him
(c) For advice
(d) For directions
5. Which of these is not a suggestion that Algernon makes as to what they should do after dinner?
(a) The Empire
(b) The Games House
(c) The Theatre
(d) The Club
6. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
7. What has Gwendolyn asked Lady Bracknell to refrain from?
(a) Pocketing silverware
(b) Berating the servants publicly
(c) Quoting scripture
(d) Abruptly reentering rooms
8. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
(a) Kill off "Ernest"
(b) Marry off Cecily
(c) Join the Church
(d) Move away from England
9. What does Lady Bracknell describe as a "delicate exotic fruit?"
(a) Social bearing
(d) Her daughter
10. According to Lady Bracknell, what two things rarely go together?
(a) Making love and making peace
(b) Having much and owing little
(c) Knowing much and knowing self
(d) Behaving well and feeling well
11. At what age does Gwendolyn say she lost the respect of her mother?
12. Who is growing too attached to Ernest, in Jack's opinion?
(c) Miss Prism
13. In reality, what it is the relationship between Cecily and Jack?
(a) They are siblings
(b) They are engaged
(c) She does not exist
(d) She is his ward
14. How many of the cucumber sandwiches does Algernon eat?
(a) None of them
(b) Half of them
(c) All of them
(d) One of them
15. Where does Algernon suggest dining instead of the Savoy?
(c) Trader Vic's
Short Answer Questions
1. What participle does Jack inadvertently substitute for "married" when he attempts to say "We must get married at once"?
2. In what county is Jack's country house?
3. In terms of playing music, what is Algernon's forte?
4. According to Algernon, what do the lower classes lack a sense of?
5. How does Algernon describe Lane at the end of the First Act?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)