|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the cucumber sandwiches does Algernon eat?
(a) One of them
(b) All of them
(c) None of them
(d) Half of them
2. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
(a) They are siblings
(b) She is his aunt
(c) They are engaged
(d) He is her father
3. How old is Jack?
4. Who is growing too attached to Ernest, in Jack's opinion?
(a) Miss Prism
5. Who is Cecily's governess?
(b) She has none
(c) Miss Prism
(d) Lady Bracknell
6. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
(a) A substantial dowry
(b) A lord to vouch for him
(c) His "brother's" credentials
(d) The handbag in which he was found
7. According to Lady Bracknell, what two things rarely go together?
(a) Knowing much and knowing self
(b) Behaving well and feeling well
(c) Having much and owing little
(d) Making love and making peace
8. When does Jack take the name of Ernest?
(a) When he is in town
(b) When he is in the country
(c) When he travels abroad
(d) When he signs legal documents
9. Why does Mr. Thomas Cardew give baby Jack the surname Worthing?
(a) It was the first word that came to mind
(b) It was Cardew's mother's maiden name
(c) It is the name of Cardew's favorite footballer
(d) It was the destination of his ticket
10. What does Cecily pay no attention to, according to Jack?
(a) Her spending
(b) Her lessons
(c) His warnings
(d) The advances of boys
11. Where is Jack going to "kill" Ernest?
12. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
13. What political affiliation does Jack claim?
(a) Social Democrat
(d) Liberal Unionist
14. What has Gwendolyn asked Lady Bracknell to refrain from?
(a) Pocketing silverware
(b) Berating the servants publicly
(c) Quoting scripture
(d) Abruptly reentering rooms
15. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
(a) Kill off "Ernest"
(b) Join the Church
(c) Marry off Cecily
(d) Move away from England
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do servants steal more champagne in the houses of bachelors?
2. Which of these is not a description of the handbag in which Jack was found?
3. About how much money does "Ernest" owe the Savoy?
4. What is Lady Bracknell's first question for Jack?
5. With what Duchess does Lady Bracknell share a list of eligible English bachelors?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)