|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jack going to "kill" Ernest?
2. According to Algernon, what is the essence of romance?
3. What does Cecily pay no attention to, according to Jack?
(a) His warnings
(b) Her spending
(c) Her lessons
(d) The advances of boys
4. What relation is not popular at the present time?
5. What type of sandwich does Algernon take from Lane?
6. When does Jack take the name of Ernest?
(a) When he signs legal documents
(b) When he travels abroad
(c) When he is in town
(d) When he is in the country
7. According to Lady Bracknell, how with Gwendolyn know when she is engaged?
(a) She will be wearing a veil
(b) Hell will have frozen
(c) Lady Bracknell will inform her
(d) It will be in the papers
8. How old is Jack?
9. Why does Jack neglect to tell Gwendolen about the existence of Cecily?
(a) She has not asked
(b) He would have to reveal his true name
(c) He fears she would be jealous
(d) He cannot explain their relationship
10. According to Algernon, what do the lower classes lack a sense of?
(a) Moral responsibility
(b) Duty to country
(d) Respect for their betters
11. In Act I, what relation does Jack claim to Cecily?
(a) She is his aunt
(b) They are engaged
(c) They are siblings
(d) He is her father
12. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
(a) Kill off "Ernest"
(b) Move away from England
(c) Join the Church
(d) Marry off Cecily
13. In terms of playing music, what is Algernon's forte?
14. How does Algernon describe Lane at the end of the First Act?
(a) A prig
(b) A rube
(c) A pessimist
(d) A modern stoic
15. What item does Gwendolen take with her as she leaves?
(a) The trivet
(b) The cigarette holder
(c) The bell
(d) The railway guide
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Algernon enjoying at the end of the Act?
2. In what town does the First Act take place?
3. What aspect of humanity is Jack sick of?
4. Who is Cecily's governess?
5. What participle does Jack inadvertently substitute for "married" when he attempts to say "We must get married at once"?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)