|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In terms of playing music, what is Algernon's forte?
2. How does Algernon describe Lane at the end of the First Act?
(a) A modern stoic
(b) A prig
(c) A rube
(d) A pessimist
3. How many of the cucumber sandwiches does Algernon eat?
(a) None of them
(b) Half of them
(c) All of them
(d) One of them
4. What does Algernon find decidedly unromantic?
(a) A Proposal
(c) A Waltz
(d) A Cucumber Sandwich
5. Who are the most interesting people, according to Algernon?
(a) Those who enjoy your present
(b) Those you haven't met
(c) Those with a willingness to lend money
(d) Those who choose not to speak
6. According to Algernon, what do the lower classes lack a sense of?
(a) Duty to country
(b) Moral responsibility
(c) Respect for their betters
7. What does Gwendolyn's brother ask all of his girlfriends?
(a) For money
(b) For advice
(c) To marry him
(d) For directions
8. At what age does Gwendolyn say she lost the respect of her mother?
9. What does Jack plan to do in the near future?
(a) Marry off Cecily
(b) Join the Church
(c) Move away from England
(d) Kill off "Ernest"
10. Where is Jack going to "kill" Ernest?
11. What mythical creature does Jack compare Lady Bracknell to?
(a) A Minotaur
(b) A Harpy
(c) A Gorgon
(d) A Leviathan
12. What does Jack offer to present to Lady Bracknell in lieu of his parentage?
(a) A lord to vouch for him
(b) A substantial dowry
(c) The handbag in which he was found
(d) His "brother's" credentials
13. Why does Mr. Thomas Cardew give baby Jack the surname Worthing?
(a) It was Cardew's mother's maiden name
(b) It was the destination of his ticket
(c) It is the name of Cardew's favorite footballer
(d) It was the first word that came to mind
14. How does Lady Bracknell feel about Jack's having lost both of his parents?
(a) It is careless
(b) It is tragic
(c) It is unfortunate
(d) It is inconsequential
15. In reality, what it is the relationship between Cecily and Jack?
(a) She does not exist
(b) She is his ward
(c) They are engaged
(d) They are siblings
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Algernon, what is the essence of romance?
2. To what composer does Algernon compare his Aunt's ring? Tchaikovsky
3. On what topic does Gwendolyn ask Jack to refrain from speaking?
4. According to Lady Bracknell, how with Gwendolyn know when she is engaged?
5. What does Lane present to Algernon while Jack sees Gwendolen out?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)