• Jack Worthing - as Ernest - calls on Algernon Moncrieff.
• Jack explains the creation of his "brother" Ernest as an excuse to leave the country.
• Algernon explains his creation of an "invalid friend" Bunbury as an excuse to leave town.
• Lady Bracknell and Gwendolen call on Algernon, who says he must attend to his sick friend Bunbury that night.
• Jack - as Ernest - proposes to Gwendolen.
• Gwendolen agrees, but says she could only love him if his name were Ernest.
• Lady Bracknell insists on interviewing Jack before consenting to a marriage.
• Lady Bracknell refuses consent as Jack - being an orphan - has no known relations.
• Gwendolen proposes her love and takes Jack's address in the country.
• Jack intends to "kill" Ernest when he returns to the country, since his ward Cecily is growing enamored of him.
• Miss Prism attempts to teach German to Cecily...
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)