|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Ryszard learn in first grade?
2. Who does Ryszard site with in Azerbaijan?
3. How old are some of the churches Ryszard visits in Georgia?
4. How old is Ryszard when he is caught by the Soviet soldiers?
5. What does Leonid think Armenia might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parts of the Soviet Union did Ryszard want to see?
2. What did Ryszard discover about the government in Armenia?
3. What did Ryszard realize about the USSR's power during his third encounter with the Imperium?
4. Describe Moscow in the late 1980s.
5. What did Rsyzard say about the borders in regard to ethnocentrism?
6. What effect did the war have on the children?
7. What were the three different attitudes foreigners had when entering the Soviet Union?
8. What is the new Armenia like?
9. What was school like for Ryszard?
10. What was the history of the Temple of Christ the Savior between 1812 in 1883?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though the USSR had power over the southern republics, they still managed to hold onto some of their traditions. Describe some of the traditions and explain why it was important for the people to hold onto them.
Essay Topic 2
What is the political and cultural perspective of the Armenians? Give examples of how some of their practices were similar to those of the Communist regime.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the first three encounters the author has with the Imperium. Explain what was similar about each encounter as well as what was different.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)