|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the following were active mafia groups in the former USSR except for which:
(a) Nationalist mafia
(b) Asiatic mafia
(c) Caucasian mafia
(d) Russian mafia
2. What is Vorkuta known as?
(a) It's known an ideal place to raise a family.
(b) It's known as a holy place of martyrdom.
(c) It's known a the happiest place on Earth.
(d) It's known as a good place for business.
3. What type of landscape does Central Asia have?
4. Why couldn't Ryszard tell the story that he tells in Chapter 15 earlier in the book?
(a) He didn't know the ending.
(b) He would have endangered those who helped him.
(c) He wanted to double-check his facts.
(d) He needed to get permission to tell the story from the people in it.
5. According to the author, what happens to a civilization that doesn't ask questions?
(a) It dies.
(c) It confuses the citizens.
(d) It thrives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of illness did the people fight in Muynak?
2. What is Ryszard's take on the Red Army?
3. What fills the Caucasus?
4. All of the following were ways to get into the Kremlin except for which?
5. What is the Syktyvkar airport like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pros and cons of living in Yatusk.
2. How did the mafia arise in Russia?
3. What were some of the challenges Ryszard faced when he tried to fly to Nagorno-Karabkah?
4. What happened to the churches in Russia?
5. Describe the feelings the elite in Moscow had for the Imperium.
6. Describe the airport in Syktyvkar.
7. Describe the Red Army and what Ryszard feels about it.
8. Why did some of the people who lived under the USSR struggle with nationality?
9. Where did people work in Vorkuta, and what type of people worked there?
10. What was a main problem that people faced with the cotton fields?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)