|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did prisoners work in Vorkuta?
(a) Diamond mines
(b) Oil fields
(c) Coal mines
(d) Cotton fields
2. What does he feel about the people of Russia?
(a) He is happy many are leaving.
(b) He feels as if they are depopulated and wants them to return.
(c) He is pleased that people have the freedom to make their own choices.
(d) He is angry that many are disappearing, but realizes it might be a good thing.
3. What happens the the homes in Yakutsk?
(a) It's a challenge keeping the pipes from freezing in the homes.
(b) It's hard to keep them stable due to earthquakes.
(c) They lose electricity at least three times a day.
(d) They slide into the mud when the cold leaves.
4. Who initially leads the meeting?
(a) No one knew who should lead.
(b) Ryszard led the meeting.
(c) The owner of the mine led the meeting.
(d) The rulers of the Imperium led.
5. What did they do before the meeting?
(a) They reviewed the notes for the meeting.
(b) They elected a new president.
(c) They watched sports on an old television.
(d) They performed a traditional ritual.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Shalamov, what is the West built on?
2. Where did the mafia mentality originate according to the author?
3. What play does Rsyzard to to see?
4. What is the main people group of Kolyma?
5. What type of landscape does Central Asia have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ryszard's observation on the Nationalist.
2. What was the Karabakh are like?
3. Describe the airport in Syktyvkar.
4. What were the people in Baku like?
5. Describe the weather in Vorkuta.
6. Where did people work in Vorkuta, and what type of people worked there?
7. What were some of the challenges Ryszard faced when he tried to fly to Nagorno-Karabkah?
8. Describe the landscape of the republics in Central Asia.
9. Describe the Red Army and what Ryszard feels about it.
10. What happened to the churches in Russia?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)