|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ryszard traveling during the third encounter?
(a) He was on an expedition across the severn southern republics of the former USSR.
(b) He was on a cruise on the Sea of Okhotsk
(c) He was heading from Moscow back to Poland.
(d) He was touring Siberia.
2. What were the passengers on the train like?
(a) Everyone shared their life stories.
(b) Everyone was quiet.
(c) Everyone laughed and told jokes.
(d) Everyone made up stories.
3. What, according to the author, is the European political philosophy regarding ethnocentrism?
(a) The Europeans want nothing at all to do with other nations.
(b) The Europeans want to learn about other nations, but still think they are superior.
(c) The Europeans want to know other nations.
(d) The Europeans want to exclude other nations.
4. What do the scarves the children wear have on them?
(a) Their names
(b) The school colors
(c) Prints of Russian leaders
(d) No prints were allowed.
5. What does Ryszard see getting loaded onto the trains?
6. What was unique about the mosque in Uzbekistan?
(a) It was lined with gold.
(b) It was made of wood.
(c) It was filled with jewels.
(d) It was made of iron.
7. What are the main religions of Azerbaijan?
(a) Islam and Buddhism
(b) Buddhism and Christianity
(c) Zoroastrianism and Christianity
(d) Zoroastrianism and Islam
8. What did people think would have happened if Trotsky had beaten Stalin?
(a) They thought that communism would have failed.
(b) They thought that democracy would have triumphed.
(c) They thought that democracy would have failed.
(d) They thought that communism would have triumphed.
9. What was the winter like in 1939-1940 in Pinsk?
(a) It felt like summer.
(b) It was mild.
(c) It was terrible.
(d) It was tolerable.
10. What do the peoples use to establish order?
(b) Strict laws and government-approved lawyers
(c) Regular peace talks
(d) Solid business plans
11. What did the soldiers take from them?
12. What does Ryszard think about nomadism?
(a) He thinks nomads are the key to world education.
(b) He maintains that human civilization can't exist without the nomad.
(c) He maintains that nomads are a detriment to society.
(d) He maintains that nomads are the key to crime in society.
13. What era was that during Ryszard's last visit?
(a) It was the Lenin era.
(b) It was the Brezhnev era.
(c) It was the Bolshevik era.
(d) It was the Stalin era.
14. How long did it take to destroy the Temple of Christ the Savior?
(a) Two weeks
(b) Four months
(c) Three years
(d) Half a day
15. What does Ryszard smell in the air in Baku?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the beautiful Pink church?
2. What happened to the churches in Moscow during the Bolshevik revolution?
3. Where did Ryszard come across the Imperium the second time?
4. What was the food like in Ryszard's life?
5. Who controls Armenia in the late 1980s and early 1990s?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)