Part I, First Encounters, Chapter 1, Pinsk, '39'
1. What was the political atmosphere in Poland in 1939?
(a) The peasants are protesting.
(b) They are choosing new leaders.
(c) It's a time of historical peace.
(d) War is everywhere.
2. Where is the author heading along with his mother and sister?
(a) He is heading to Moscow.
(b) He is heading far away from his home.
(c) He is heading to the store.
(d) He is heading to his home in Pinsk, Poland.
3. How old is Ryszard when he is caught by the Soviet soldiers?
4. What language does Ryszard learn in first grade?
5. What political studies did Ryszard have in first grade?
6. How does Ryszard act in the classroom?
(a) He never knows the answers.
(b) He asks lots of questions to show how smart he is.
(c) He is the class clown.
(d) He doesn't ask questions for fear of reprisal.
7. What do the scarves the children wear have on them?
(a) The school colors
(b) Their names
(c) Prints of Russian leaders
(d) No prints were allowed.
This section contains 4,974 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)