|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Laurie give the Cowboy?
2. Who was Clara named after?
3. Who had his wallet stolen the night before Act 2 begins?
4. Which character says, "I haven't been arrested for ten years, I'm obviously worthless!"?
5. Where does Clara live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Midge's reaction to the mugging by Gilley? What does he think about Nat's treatment of the situation?
2. What is Midge's fear about his job? Why?
3. What is Clara's frustration with Nat?
4. What does the carousel represent in the play?
5. What does Nat accuse Clara of "selling out on?"
6. Describe the character of the Cowboy. How is he dressed? How does he talk?
7. Why couldn't Laurie just leave town?
8. What is Nat's plan for "dealing with" Dartforth? How does he go about it?
9. Describe the setting in Act 1.
10. What does Midge "pretend" to do while he is seated at the bench? Why is this absurd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character Laurie. What does she represent to Midge and Nat? What does she represent to the play as a whole (allegorically, symbolically)?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences in beliefs and ideals that Nat and Midge have on romance, love, and sex? What are the similarities?
Essay Topic 3
How do Nat's political beliefs inform his character? What does Socialism mean to Nat? What does it mean to Midge? Clara?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)