|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character wears thick bifocals in Act 1?
2. Which character is African American?
3. How old is Clara?
4. What's the second name Nat claims is his cover name?
5. How is Clara related to Nat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clara say that Nat did at the butcher's? Why did he do it?
2. What does Dartforth come to understand after his conversation with Nat?
3. Why has Nat retired "his mouth" in Act 3?
4. How do Midge and Nat differ in their views of fantasy?
5. How has Nat been "defeated" in Act 3?
6. How does Clara "test" Nat? Why?
7. What was Nat's previous spot in the park? What did he do there? Why did he leave?
8. What does Midge have of the Cowboy's? What does he view it as?
9. How does Nat feel about his other children? How do they feel about him?
10. What does Midge "pretend" to do while he is seated at the bench? Why is this absurd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the things that Nat and Midge commiserate on in the course of the play? How do these things bring them closer together? How do they override their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the journey that Midge goes on through the play. How does he change through his friendship with Nat? What has altered his character?
Essay Topic 3
What historical, scientific, political, and social changes created the world in which Midge and Nat live? How has longevity changed over time?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)