|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Clara have?
2. Where is the music coming from in Act 1?
3. What does Midge pretend to do when he first sees Nat in Act 2?
4. What does Clara accuse Nat of upon seeing his condition?
5. What does Nat say is his cover-story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Midge's fear about his job? Why?
2. What did Midge do after Nat was attacked? What is his explanation?
3. How does the Cowboy react to Midge's weapon?
4. How does Clara know Dr. Engels isn't real? Why did she write to him anyway?
5. How does Midge injure himself in Act 1? How does Nat react?
6. What is Nat's plan for "dealing with" Dartforth? How does he go about it?
7. How does the confrontation with the Cowboy change Midge?
8. What does Midge have of the Cowboy's? What does he view it as?
9. How does Midge try to stop the Cowboy from hurting Nat?
10. What does Nat do at the end of the play? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how symbolically Midge gains his "sight" throughout the play. What has he been blind to, and how does he overcome that blindness?
Essay Topic 2
How do Nat's political beliefs inform his character? What does Socialism mean to Nat? What does it mean to Midge? Clara?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the journey that Midge goes on through the play. How does he change through his friendship with Nat? What has altered his character?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)