|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Clara related to Nat?
2. Who does Nat imitate in telling the "I'm Not Rappaport" joke?
3. What did Nat have waiting on the street when Clara got out of jail?
4. Where did Nat go to the emergency room?
5. Who was Clara named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Clara's frustration with Nat?
2. What happened to Nat during his bypass surgery? Is this story true?
3. Why has Nat retired "his mouth" in Act 3?
4. Describe the character of the Cowboy. How is he dressed? How does he talk?
5. How does the Cowboy react to Midge's weapon?
6. What does Nat tell the Cowboy he and Midge are?
7. How does Nat feel about his other children? How do they feel about him?
8. How has Nat been "defeated" in Act 3?
9. What is Nat's plan for "dealing with" Dartforth? How does he go about it?
10. Why couldn't Laurie just leave town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who can be seen as an allegorical symbol representing gang violence in New York in the 1980s? How?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character Laurie. What does she represent to Midge and Nat? What does she represent to the play as a whole (allegorically, symbolically)?
Essay Topic 3
Describe who Clara was named after. What is the meaning of this story that Nat tells? How does it relate his character as well as hers?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)