|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the senior home that Clara presents to Nat?
2. How is Clara related to Nat?
3. Nat says he does not tell lies but what?
4. Which character claims he was a boxer in his youth?
5. Where does Nat have a bandage on in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Midge injure himself in Act 1? How does Nat react?
2. What does the Cowboy do to Nat physically?
3. What is Midge's reaction to the mugging by Gilley? What does he think about Nat's treatment of the situation?
4. How has Nat been "defeated" in Act 3?
5. How does Nat feel about his other children? How do they feel about him?
6. What does Midge "pretend" to do while he is seated at the bench? Why is this absurd?
7. What is Midge's reaction to Nat's "truth?"
8. What is Nat's reaction to being mugged by Gilley? Why?
9. Why has Nat retired "his mouth" in Act 3?
10. What is Nat's plan for "dealing with" Dartforth? How does he go about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nat's justification behind his "alterations" of the truth. Why does he do what he does? How does he feel about simply growing old?
Essay Topic 2
What is the allegorical reference of Danforth? What societal concept or idea does this character represent? How? How does his interaction with the protagonists affect their fate?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the journey that Nat has gone through in the course of the play. How has Midge changed him? What elements of his personality are altered and why?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)