|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had his wallet stolen the night before Act 2 begins?
2. What is the union Nat tells Mr. Danforth that Midge is a member of?
3. Which character uses a cane in the first act?
4. Which character says, "Christ, in one year I've been the headquarters for the Eighth Congressional District, CBS News, the Institute for Freudian Studies, and the United Consumers Protection Agency"?
5. Who is Dr. Engels a reference to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nat come to be hired as a secret agent? What is his code name?
2. Describe the appearance of Nat. What does he wear in Act 1? How does he move?
3. Why couldn't Laurie just leave town?
4. Who is Laurie? What does she look like? What does she carry with her? How does she interact with the protagonists?
5. What is Midge's reaction to the mugging by Gilley? What does he think about Nat's treatment of the situation?
6. What does Nat tell the Cowboy he and Midge are?
7. Describe how Midge and Nat are dressed in Act 2, Scene 2.
8. How does the confrontation with the Cowboy change Midge?
9. What does Nat accuse Clara of "selling out on?"
10. What has led up to Nat and Midge pretending to be gangsters?
Essay Topic 1
What historical, scientific, political, and social changes created the world in which Midge and Nat live? How has longevity changed over time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nat's justification behind his "alterations" of the truth. Why does he do what he does? How does he feel about simply growing old?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the journey that Midge goes on through the play. How does he change through his friendship with Nat? What has altered his character?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)