|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character uses a cane in the first act?
2. What is Nat singing when he first enters in Act 2?
3. In what month does the play begin?
4. What does Nat say is his cover-story?
5. What hospital was Clara born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of the Cowboy. How is he dressed? How does he talk?
2. What does Dartforth come to understand after his conversation with Nat?
3. Describe how Midge and Nat are dressed in Act 2, Scene 2.
4. Describe the character of Clara. How is she dressed? How old is she?
5. What happened with Midge's job in Act 3? Why?
6. Describe the appearance of Nat. What does he wear in Act 1? How does he move?
7. How does Midge injure himself in Act 1? How does Nat react?
8. What has led up to Nat and Midge pretending to be gangsters?
9. What happened to Nat during his bypass surgery? Is this story true?
10. How does Nat try to cover himself after the Cowboy realizes he's lying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe who Clara was named after. What is the meaning of this story that Nat tells? How does it relate his character as well as hers?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences in beliefs and ideals that Nat and Midge have on romance, love, and sex? What are the similarities?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nat feel about his daughter's ideals? What has changed in their relationship? How does Clara feel about her father?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)