|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Midge?
2. What is the truth about Nat's therapist?
3. How is Clara related to Nat?
4. What kind of furnace is in the building that Midge oversees?
5. In what city does the play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nat tell the Cowboy he and Midge are?
2. What is Midge's reaction to Nat's "truth?"
3. Why does the Cowboy not believe Nat?
4. How does the Cowboy react to Midge's weapon?
5. What does Midge "pretend" to do while he is seated at the bench? Why is this absurd?
6. Describe the character of Clara. How is she dressed? How old is she?
7. Why does Laurie owe the Cowboy money?
8. Describe Midge's character. What does he look like? How is his appearance different from Nat's?
9. What happened with Midge's job in Act 3? Why?
10. Describe how Midge and Nat are dressed in Act 2, Scene 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the argument Nat and Midge have about who is invisible who is right? Do you think that Nat is more visible because he "proves" it, or is he just as invisible as Midge?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Midge and Nat. How are they similar? What differences do they have? How do their social, political, economic, and fantasy worlds relate?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character Laurie. What does she represent to Midge and Nat? What does she represent to the play as a whole (allegorically, symbolically)?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)