|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nat tell Clara he's going to live with his daughter?
2. What did Nat have waiting on the street when Clara got out of jail?
3. In what city does the play take place?
4. What do Midge and Nat relate about their dreams?
5. What does Nat say is prescribed for his glaucoma and covered by Medicaid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Nat retired "his mouth" in Act 3?
2. What happened to Midge in Act 2, Scene 3? How long has he been away?
3. Describe how Midge and Nat are dressed in Act 2, Scene 2.
4. What does Nat tell the Cowboy he and Midge are?
5. What does Midge have of the Cowboy's? What does he view it as?
6. What does Clara say that Nat did at the butcher's? Why did he do it?
7. Why did Midge prevent Nat from visiting him in the hospital?
8. Who is Dr. Engels? What is the story behind this "character?"
9. What does the carousel represent in the play?
10. What is Nat's reaction to being mugged by Gilley? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the time and place of I'm Not Rappaport affect the story? Would it be different if it were set elsewhere? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character Laurie. What does she represent to Midge and Nat? What does she represent to the play as a whole (allegorically, symbolically)?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nat's justification behind his "alterations" of the truth. Why does he do what he does? How does he feel about simply growing old?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)