|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hoodlum's name who takes old men's money?
(c) The Cowboy.
2. Where does Nat tell Clara he's going to live with his daughter?
3. What did Clara receive as a birthday present when she was ten?
(a) A bike.
(b) Das Kapital.
(c) A remote-controlled car.
(d) A chess board.
4. What is the union Nat tells Mr. Danforth that Midge is a member of?
(a) Workers Union #333.
5. Who is Dr. Engels a reference to?
(a) A 19th-Century Children's writer.
(b) The leader of the Jewish American Union.
(c) The co-writer of The Communist Manifesto.
(d) A Medieval Painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "Christ, in one year I've been the headquarters for the Eighth Congressional District, CBS News, the Institute for Freudian Studies, and the United Consumers Protection Agency"?
2. Which character says, "Hey, how 'bout you go sit with them old dudes in fronta the Welfare Hotel, them old butter brains . . ."?
3. How much money does Nat say the government pays him monthly to be a spy?
4. What name does Nat say is his cover-name?
5. What does Midge throw down when he realizes Nat has been lying to him in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the carousel represent in the play?
2. Who is Dr. Engels? What is the story behind this "character?"
3. Describe the character of the Cowboy. How is he dressed? How does he talk?
4. What is Clara's frustration with Nat?
5. Why does the Cowboy not believe Nat?
6. What did Midge do after Nat was attacked? What is his explanation?
7. Describe the appearance of Nat. What does he wear in Act 1? How does he move?
8. What does Clara say that Nat did at the butcher's? Why did he do it?
9. What is Nat's reaction to being mugged by Gilley? Why?
10. Describe how Midge and Nat are dressed in Act 2, Scene 2.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)