|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Midge and Nat relate about their dreams?
(a) They no longer dream.
(b) They dream in black-and-white.
(c) They dream more than when they were young.
(d) They dream in color.
2. What did Nat tell the counterman at Walgreens?
(a) He's an Iroquois Indian.
(b) He's a bank robber.
(c) He's a mobster.
(d) He's a lawyer.
3. What causes Midge's poor eyesight?
(b) A glass eye.
4. Which character says, "What is this, Halloween? You haven't been west of Jersey City"?
(c) The Cowboy.
5. What is Clara's profession?
(b) Real-estate agent.
(d) Corporate CEO.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nat's daughter's name?
2. Who does Nat's daughter think his therapist is?
3. In what month does the play begin?
4. How much time has passed between Act 1 and Act 2 Scene 1?
5. What hospital was Clara born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Nat during his bypass surgery? Is this story true?
2. How does Clara know Dr. Engels isn't real? Why did she write to him anyway?
3. What was Nat's previous spot in the park? What did he do there? Why did he leave?
4. What does Midge "pretend" to do while he is seated at the bench? Why is this absurd?
5. What does the carousel represent in the play?
6. How has Nat been "defeated" in Act 3?
7. What has happened to Gilley by Act 3?
8. What happened to Midge in Act 2, Scene 3? How long has he been away?
9. What is Midge's fear about his job? Why?
10. Who is Dartforth? How is he connected to Midge?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)