|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Crack, the owner of the club Eve visits at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Who has leaked information about the murder investigation to Channel 75 news reporter Nadine Furst?
3. Who does Roarke think is both dangerous and interested in Eve romantically?
4. What startling fact from her childhood does Eve remember at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What does Roarke try to give Eve to drink after her nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clears Mavis of murder charges in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Eve go to the media about Pandora's murder and why does she go to Nadine Furst?
3. What happens between Peabody and Casto in Chapter 13 and what does Eve think of the change in her coworkers' relationship?
4. What happens to Eve when she goes to the restroom to check on Peabody during her bachelorette party in Chapter 20?
5. Why does Eve deliberately provoke Jerry Fitzgerald into assaulting her with a glass of champagne?
6. What information does Eve learn from Crack, the owner of the Down and Dirty Club, about the new drug blend on the streets?
7. Why does Casto want Jerry charged with Pandora's murder?
8. What is Roarke's reaction to Casto when meeting him and how does his opinion of Casto compare to Eve's?
9. What does Jerry Fitzgerald's blue health drink contain and how does this ingredient relate to Pandora's murder?
10. How is Eve able to fight off Pandora's killer and keep from becoming another of his victims after being drugged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Immortal in Death takes place in New York in 2058. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if the author had set the novel in present day New York instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women in Immortal in Death. Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women in the futuristic world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day, or do women seem to be receiving the same treatment as they are now? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Eve feels intuitively during the novel that certain characters are innocent and that certain characters can't be trusted yet her intuition isn't something she can prove in a court of law. She needs physical evidence to prove the guilt or innocence of the suspects in the murder cases she investigates. Discuss the role of intuition and the role of science in Eve's homicide investigations. How do the two methods of approaching a case sometimes conflict with each other and how do they sometimes complement each other? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)