|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Crack, the owner of the club Eve visits at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Which of the following statements is not a reason Eve does not immediately charge Jerry Fitzgerald with Pandora's murder?
3. Who leads Eve and Peabody into the laboratory of Dr. Engrave?
4. While at the florists with Roarke to select the flowers for her wedding, what information does Eve ask the florist to divulge?
5. Who is furious at the beginning of Chapter 19 to learn Eve is not immediately charging Jerry Fitzgerald with Pandora's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eve deliberately provoke Jerry Fitzgerald into assaulting her with a glass of champagne?
2. Describe how Eve interrogates the three suspects who were at Pandora's house on the night of Pandora's murder.
3. What clears Mavis of murder charges in Chapter 16?
4. What does Jerry Fitzgerald's blue health drink contain and how does this ingredient relate to Pandora's murder?
5. Who does Casto believe is responsible for Pandora's murder and why doesn't Eve agree with his theory?
6. How does Jerry become addicted to Immortality?
7. Why does Eve go to the media about Pandora's murder and why does she go to Nadine Furst?
8. How is Eve able to fight off Pandora's killer and keep from becoming another of his victims after being drugged?
9. What happens to Eve when she goes to the restroom to check on Peabody during her bachelorette party in Chapter 20?
10. What is Roarke's reaction to Casto when meeting him and how does his opinion of Casto compare to Eve's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of drug use in Immortal in Death. Include the use and sale of Immortality as well as the drugs Roarke gives Eve to relax her and the sedative Jerry receives at the rehab center. What do you think the author is trying to say about drug use? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of looking younger motivates characters in Immortal in Death to take the drug Immortality. Discuss the influence of the entertainment industry in which many of the characters of the novel are involved on their desire to look perpetually young and their willingness to take addictive and potentially fatal drugs in an attempt to do so. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of gender role in Immortal in Death. Give examples of how at least three of the following characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set: Crack, Eve, Leonardo, and Mavis. What do you think the author is trying to say about gender role in 2058 society through these characters? Is she also perhaps trying to say something about gender role in present day society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)