|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, why do the police close the murder cases Eve has been investigating?
2. Where does Eve send Jerry Fitzgerald in lieu of sending her to jail?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Crack, the owner of the club Eve visits at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 18, who does Justin Young agree to testify against in exchange for a deal from the cops?
5. Which of the following statements is not a reason Eve is able to escape the killer at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 1
Eve feels intuitively during the novel that certain characters are innocent and that certain characters can't be trusted yet her intuition isn't something she can prove in a court of law. She needs physical evidence to prove the guilt or innocence of the suspects in the murder cases she investigates. Discuss the role of intuition and the role of science in Eve's homicide investigations. How do the two methods of approaching a case sometimes conflict with each other and how do they sometimes complement each other? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel's theme of getting too personally involved in a situation. Include a discussion of the danger Eve faces of getting too personally involved in the investigation of Pandora's murder when her friend Mavis is charged with the crime, a discussion of how Commander Whitney got too personally involved in a previous case, and how Peabody becomes too personally involved with Casto during the murder investigation to see his true character. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Hair color and hairstyle is used throughout Immortal in Death to depict character and symbolize aspects of character. Discuss what each of the following characters' hair color and hairstyle represents in the novel and about the characters who experience them: Eve, Mavis, Pandora, and Trina.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)