|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activities do Michel and his new male friend enjoy together in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
3. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
4. What does the last traveler to Biskra learn about Michel there?
5. When do Michel and his wife depart for their new destination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Michel's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Michel's conflict is due to his repressed homosexual desires that were very controversial in the late 1800s when the story was set and the early 1900s when the book was actually published. How would The Immoralist be perceived in today's day and time with our culture's standards?
Essay Topic 3
How does the use of the first person point of view affect the reader's perception of Michel and his story?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)