|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
2. Why do the young boys Michel once knew and liked repulse him now?
3. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
4. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
5. Who meets Michel and his wife when they arrive at the family estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't Michel simply divorce Marceline and live the life he secretly wants to lead? What does this tell us about Michel's character or beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevails in The Immoralist? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of The Immoralist? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)