|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
2. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. Who catches Michel and the prostitute in bed and gets jealous?
4. Whose sister is a prostitute?
5. What happens to Marceline while Michel is visiting his friend?
Essay Topic 1
Michel's conflict is due to his repressed homosexual desires that were very controversial in the late 1800s when the story was set and the early 1900s when the book was actually published. How would The Immoralist be perceived in today's day and time with our culture's standards?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two examples of situational irony present in the last part of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in The Immoralist? Explain your answers.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)