|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
(a) Coins and candy.
(b) A pair of scissors.
(c) A pair of reading glasses.
(d) A loaf of bread.
2. When does Michel's mother die?
(a) When he is 15.
(b) Shortly after his wedding.
(c) Shortly before his wedding.
(d) When he is 35.
3. At what time of day do Michel and his wife leave their hotel?
(a) At 11 a.m.
(b) At dawn.
(c) At noon.
(d) After lunch.
4. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) In person.
(b) In a letter.
(c) In a phone call.
(d) In a telegraph.
5. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
(a) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
(b) Meeting lots of new boys.
(c) Resting in the shade.
(d) Playing marbles with the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
2. What is the main character's nationality?
3. What happens the night Michel and his wife arrive at the destination they set out for in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
5. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
2. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
3. Michel receives information in the mail about tuberculosis from a friend. After reading that information, what changes does Michel make in his treatment and why?
4. When do Michel and Marceline consummate their marriage? Give an approximate time frame from the date of their marriage.
5. Why does Michel summon his friends at the end of the story?
6. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
7. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
8. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
9. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
10. How does Michel feel about his studies after returning from his honeymoon? Why does he feel this way?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)