|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Michel and his wife stay at the hotel while he recuperates?
(a) About six months.
(b) Amost a year.
(c) About four weeks.
(d) About four months.
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
(a) That Michel is leaving his old life behind and assuming a new identity.
(b) That Michel loves tradition and convention.
(c) That Michel desires to be a trendsetter.
(d) That Michel only wants his wife to be proud of him.
3. What does Michel's wife do while he is sick?
(a) Hangs out with local children in the park.
(b) Goes for long walks to get away from him.
(c) Stays with him and prays for him.
(d) Shops in the local market and spends all his money.
4. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
(a) Meeting lots of new boys.
(b) Playing marbles with the children.
(c) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
(d) Resting in the shade.
5. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
(a) They are fighting and want to get back home.
(b) They want a change of scenery.
(c) Harsh winter weather is approaching.
(d) The expense is getting ridiculous.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
2. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
3. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
5. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
2. Michel doesn't really know Marceline when they marry. Why does he grow to love and respect his new wife on their honeymoon?
3. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
4. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
5. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
6. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
7. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
8. What happens to Marceline's health after losing the baby?
9. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
10. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)