|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
(a) A grove of cypress trees.
(b) A pathway to an orchard.
(c) A park full of playground equipment.
(d) A shady grove of gardens.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
(a) Rome and Florence.
(b) Normandy and Paris.
(c) Sorrento and London.
(d) Baskra and Tunisia.
3. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
(a) The doctor misdiagnosed him.
(b) He should make use of leeches to get rid of the disease.
(c) The treatment he has been following is not appropriate for a full recovery.
(d) He has been taking the wrong medicine all along.
4. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
5. What happens the night Michel and his wife arrive at the destination they set out for in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) They entertain small boys in their hotel room.
(b) They go shopping.
(c) They argue over the carriage incident.
(d) They consummate their marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the friends to which Michel confesses?
2. What does Michel's weakened condition show him?
3. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
4. How does Michel's wife feel about seeing him take action in Part 1, Chapter 8?
5. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
2. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
3. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
4. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
5. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
6. What happens to Marceline's health after losing the baby?
7. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
8. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
9. When do Michel and Marceline consummate their marriage? Give an approximate time frame from the date of their marriage.
10. How does Michel feel about his studies after returning from his honeymoon? Why does he feel this way?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)