|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
2. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
(b) Calls for room service.
(c) Calls for a doctor.
3. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
(d) She is mildly unnerved.
4. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
(a) Art and music.
(b) Ancient history and culture.
(c) Culture and language.
(d) American history and art.
5. Why does Michel sunbathe nude and explore the craggy area?
(a) In pursuit of vitality.
(b) Because he is strange.
(c) Because spelunking is his hobby.
(d) He likes to see women on the nude beaches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
2. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
3. What does Michel read on his last night in Biskra when he can't sleep?
4. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
5. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see himself as...
Short Essay Questions
1. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
2. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
3. How does Michel feel about his studies after returning from his honeymoon? Why does he feel this way?
4. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
5. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
6. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
7. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
8. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
9. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
10. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)