|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) To pick up a delivery.
(b) To meet young boys.
(c) For fun.
(d) To meet his wife's carriage.
2. Who introduces Michel to more boys at the new walking place?
(a) A deformed little boy.
(b) His wife.
(c) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
3. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Not to covet neighbors.
(b) An old man walks where he should, but a younger man should stretch out his hands.
(c) A young man walks where he should, but an older man should stretch out his hands.
(d) Love others as you love yourself.
4. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) His wife's cries for help.
(b) A carriage bearing down on the road.
(c) A train approaching.
(d) A ship's whistle.
5. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
(a) Reading his Bible.
(b) His emphasis on diet.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His intellectual pursuits.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
2. When does Michel's mother die?
3. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
4. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
5. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
2. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
3. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
4. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
5. How does Marceline help in Michel's recovery from tuberculosis?
6. Discuss the foreshadowing that appears as a side thought after Michel and Marceline make love for the first time.
7. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
8. Why does Michel suddenly take an interest in the operation of the family estate?
9. Why does Michel decide to move back to the family estate in Part 2, Chapter 3?
10. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)