|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
(a) Nearby wild sage.
(b) Nearby flowers.
(c) Fresh mint leaves.
(d) Tree bark.
2. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(b) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(c) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
(d) His dislike of sunlight.
3. Who are the friends to which Michel confesses?
(b) Denis and Daniel.
(c) Denis, Daniel, and an unnamed friend.
(d) Denis, Daniel, Menalgue, Biskra.
4. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
(a) Michel's wife.
(c) No one.
(d) A hotel employee.
5. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
(a) In order to be free.
(b) He wants to write a book.
(c) To see how his friends react.
(d) He needs their permission to use their names in his book.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
3. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
5. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michel feel about his studies after returning from his honeymoon? Why does he feel this way?
2. How do Michel and Charles spend their days?
3. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
4. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
5. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
6. Michel receives information in the mail about tuberculosis from a friend. After reading that information, what changes does Michel make in his treatment and why?
7. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
8. What changes does autumn bring to Michel in Part 2, Chapter 1?
9. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
10. When do Michel and Marceline consummate their marriage? Give an approximate time frame from the date of their marriage.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)