Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
2. Why does Michel sunbathe nude and explore the craggy area?
(a) He likes to see women on the nude beaches.
(b) Because he is strange.
(c) Because spelunking is his hobby.
(d) In pursuit of vitality.
3. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) For it's serenity.
(b) Because it's big enough for grand parties.
(c) For it's nature walks.
(d) For it's lively night life.
4. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
(a) Her religion.
(b) Her desire to have children.
(c) Her relationships with little boys.
(d) Her frugality.
5. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
(a) In an orchard across town.
(b) In a park near the hotel.
(c) On the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
(d) In an alley behind the hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
2. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
3. What does Michel read on his last night in Biskra when he can't sleep?
4. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
5. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
2. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
3. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
4. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
5. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
6. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
7. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
8. What big news does Michel receive while at the family estate, and how does he react to it?
9. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
10. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)