|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
(a) She has a beautiful voice and sings to him while he is sick.
(b) He appreciates her artwork.
(c) He knows she will have to make a living for the family.
(d) For her practicality and kindness in nursing him back to health.
2. What happens the night Michel and his wife arrive at the destination they set out for in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) They consummate their marriage.
(b) They argue over the carriage incident.
(c) They go shopping.
(d) They entertain small boys in their hotel room.
3. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
(a) His emphasis on diet.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His intellectual pursuits.
(d) Reading his Bible.
4. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
(a) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
(b) His wife.
(d) A deformed little boy.
5. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
(a) An old man walks where he should, but a younger man should stretch out his hands.
(b) Not to covet neighbors.
(c) A young man walks where he should, but an older man should stretch out his hands.
(d) Love others as you love yourself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
2. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
3. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
4. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
5. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
2. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
3. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
4. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
5. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
6. What big news does Michel receive while at the family estate, and how does he react to it?
7. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
8. When he was bedridden, Michel appreciated Marceline's attentive care. Now that he's better, he prefers to go for walks without her. Explain why.
9. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
10. What is ironic about Michel's decision to stay at the family estate while pursuing his academic interests?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)