|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
(a) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(b) With a hearty handshake.
(c) He sends a butler to welcome them.
(d) With hugs and kisses on each side of the face.
2. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
(a) He eats vegetables only and keeps his window closed.
(b) He eats heartier and insists on fresh air.
(c) He exercises daily and eats less.
(d) He eats less fat and insists on fresh air.
3. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) For it's lively night life.
(b) Because it's big enough for grand parties.
(c) For it's serenity.
(d) For it's nature walks.
4. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(a) He doesn't care if he hurts her feelings or not.
(b) He sees her as a weak link since she is not as strong and beautiful as he himself.
(c) Michel belittles his wife every chance he gets.
(d) He has a positive attitude and doesn't want to hurt her feelings.
5. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
(a) At Michel's father's funeral three years ago.
(b) At Michel's father's funeral last year.
(c) At Michel's wedding three years ago.
(d) At Michel's wedding last year.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
2. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
3. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
4. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
5. What startles the boy who comes to play in Michel's hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
2. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
3. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
4. What happens to Marceline's health after losing the baby?
5. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
6. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
7. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
8. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
9. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
10. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)