|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
(a) A shady grove of gardens.
(b) A grove of cypress trees.
(c) A park full of playground equipment.
(d) A pathway to an orchard.
2. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) His wife's cries for help.
(b) A train approaching.
(c) A carriage bearing down on the road.
(d) A ship's whistle.
3. What is the main character's nationality?
(d) South American.
4. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
(a) The expense is getting ridiculous.
(b) Harsh winter weather is approaching.
(c) They are fighting and want to get back home.
(d) They want a change of scenery.
5. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
(a) Shame instead of joy.
(b) Joy instead of shame.
(c) Fear instead of joy.
(d) Joy instead of fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
2. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
3. Why does Michel marry his wife?
4. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
5. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
2. Michel receives information in the mail about tuberculosis from a friend. After reading that information, what changes does Michel make in his treatment and why?
3. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
4. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
5. What does Michel approve pricey expenditures for and why?
6. Who is the letter written to that outlines the story and who wrote the letter?
7. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
8. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
9. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
10. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)