|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
(a) His emphasis on diet.
(b) Reading his Bible.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His intellectual pursuits.
2. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
(a) His wife.
(b) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
(d) A deformed little boy.
3. What does Michel's weakened condition show him?
(a) That he hates school.
(b) How to make shadow puppets as he lies in bed.
(c) Little things he's taken for granted before.
(d) That he does not love his new wife.
4. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he's going to have a relapse.
(b) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
(c) Like he wants to write a book.
(d) So alive that everything else seems dead.
5. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
(a) To see how his friends react.
(b) He needs their permission to use their names in his book.
(c) In order to be free.
(d) He wants to write a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see himself as...
3. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
4. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
5. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michel decide to move back to the family estate in Part 2, Chapter 3?
2. Why does Michel summon his friends at the end of the story?
3. After making love for the first time, what emotions does Michel experience?
4. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
5. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
6. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
7. When do Michel and Marceline consummate their marriage? Give an approximate time frame from the date of their marriage.
8. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
9. When he was bedridden, Michel appreciated Marceline's attentive care. Now that he's better, he prefers to go for walks without her. Explain why.
10. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)