|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(b) He realizes he missed them.
(c) He is indifferent to his studies.
(d) He hates them now.
2. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
(a) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(b) With a hearty handshake.
(c) With hugs and kisses on each side of the face.
(d) He sends a butler to welcome them.
3. What does Michel's weakened condition show him?
(a) That he does not love his new wife.
(b) That he hates school.
(c) How to make shadow puppets as he lies in bed.
(d) Little things he's taken for granted before.
4. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
5. What does Michel's wife do while he is sick?
(a) Goes for long walks to get away from him.
(b) Shops in the local market and spends all his money.
(c) Hangs out with local children in the park.
(d) Stays with him and prays for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see himself as...
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
3. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
4. What does Michel read on his last night in Biskra when he can't sleep?
5. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
2. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
3. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
4. Michel doesn't really know Marceline when they marry. Why does he grow to love and respect his new wife on their honeymoon?
5. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
6. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
7. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
8. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
9. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
10. Why does Michel suddenly take an interest in the operation of the family estate?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)