|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
(a) She wants to walk in sunshine rather than shade.
(b) She is power walking and he can't keep up.
(c) She's hoping to lose her husband in the maze.
(d) She wants to hurry back to the hotel.
2. Why does Michel's wife initially invite the boy to come play in their hotel room?
(a) To care for the boy's wounds.
(b) To feed the starving boy.
(c) To cheer up Michel.
(d) To cheer up herself.
3. What surprises Michel about the work he and his father do together?
(a) How much more work remains.
(b) Nothing -- Michel runs the show.
(c) How little they are paid.
(d) The wealth they accumulate.
4. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
(a) Restless sleep and sweats.
(b) High fevers and chills.
(c) Grief over the loss of his parents.
(d) No desire for his new wife.
5. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
(a) To see how his friends react.
(b) He needs their permission to use their names in his book.
(c) In order to be free.
(d) He wants to write a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
2. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
4. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
5. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
2. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
3. How does Marceline help in Michel's recovery from tuberculosis?
4. Why does Michel summon his friends at the end of the story?
5. What happens to Marceline's health after losing the baby?
6. When is the novel written and what time period serves as the novel's setting?
7. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
8. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
9. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
10. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)