|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Michel ghostwrites books for...
(a) His father.
(b) The king.
(c) His university.
(d) An educational company.
2. Who is the protagonist of The Immoralist?
3. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "The joy made me want to laugh."
(b) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
(c) "An old man should reach out his hands."
(d) "Living life for that very moment."
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A little boy.
(c) A madman.
(d) His wife herself.
5. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
(a) His emphasis on diet.
(b) His intellectual pursuits.
(c) Reading his Bible.
(d) His marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
2. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
3. Who is the first Arab boy invited to play in Michel's hotel room?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
5. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
2. Michel receives information in the mail about tuberculosis from a friend. After reading that information, what changes does Michel make in his treatment and why?
3. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
4. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
5. What does Michel approve pricey expenditures for and why?
6. When is the novel written and what time period serves as the novel's setting?
7. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
8. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
9. How does Marceline help in Michel's recovery from tuberculosis?
10. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)