|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Michel's mother die?
(a) When he is 35.
(b) Shortly before his wedding.
(c) When he is 15.
(d) Shortly after his wedding.
2. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(b) He is indifferent to his studies.
(c) He hates them now.
(d) He realizes he missed them.
3. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
(a) Whether he could ever return her devotion if she were sick.
(b) Whether she would expect him to complete his studies.
(c) Whether he would ever be able to leave her.
(d) Whether she would join him in his quest for vitality.
4. Where does Michel's wife sit on completion of her carriage ride into town in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) She walks beside the carriage.
(b) On the back of the horse.
(c) In the box next to Michel.
(d) In the back.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
(a) Reading his journal.
(b) With another man.
(c) Is missing.
(d) Nursing an ill Arab boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 9, the couple spends several happy days in which town first?
2. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
3. Who introduces Michel to more boys at the new walking place?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
5. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
2. Why does Michel summon his friends at the end of the story?
3. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
4. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
5. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
6. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
7. Michel doesn't really know Marceline when they marry. Why does he grow to love and respect his new wife on their honeymoon?
8. What changes does autumn bring to Michel in Part 2, Chapter 1?
9. Why does Michel's interest in Charles fade?
10. How do Michel and Charles spend their days?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)