|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first Arab boy invited to play in Michel's hotel room?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
(a) Reading his journal.
(b) Nursing an ill Arab boy.
(c) With another man.
(d) Is missing.
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The carriage driver.
(c) Michel's wife.
4. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(b) His dislike of sunlight.
(c) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(d) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
5. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
(a) She wants to hurry back to the hotel.
(b) She wants to walk in sunshine rather than shade.
(c) She is power walking and he can't keep up.
(d) She's hoping to lose her husband in the maze.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 7, how does Michel try to act around his wife?
3. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
4. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
5. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
2. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
3. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
4. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
5. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
6. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
7. After making love for the first time, what emotions does Michel experience?
8. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
9. How do Michel and Charles spend their days?
10. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)