|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces Michel to more boys at the new walking place?
(a) His wife.
(b) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
(d) A deformed little boy.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who collapses in front of Michel?
(a) The carriage driver.
(b) A young boy.
(c) The horse pulling the carriage.
(d) His wife.
3. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
(a) He feels like people can read his thoughts more easily since he's not hiding behind a beard.
(b) He thinks the goatee will impress the young goatherds he met on his honeymoon.
(c) He wishes he'd never suggested the leeches.
(d) He is ahead of the trend by shaving off his mustache only.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
(a) He realizes he doesn't love her.
(b) He knows his limits and capabilities, especially now that he's self-absorbed.
(c) He doesn't like to do much work.
(d) He knows he isn't very smart.
5. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) His dislike of sunlight.
(b) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
(c) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(d) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
3. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see himself as...
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
5. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michel feel about his studies after returning from his honeymoon? Why does he feel this way?
2. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
3. Michel receives information in the mail about tuberculosis from a friend. After reading that information, what changes does Michel make in his treatment and why?
4. What is ironic about Michel's decision to stay at the family estate while pursuing his academic interests?
5. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
6. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
7. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
8. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
9. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
10. What big news does Michel receive while at the family estate, and how does he react to it?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)