|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
2. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
(a) Meeting lots of new boys.
(b) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
(c) Playing marbles with the children.
(d) Resting in the shade.
3. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
(a) By himself.
(b) With a letter.
(c) By a young boy.
(d) By his wife.
4. Which institution offers the job to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Syracuse University.
(b) The College of Normandy.
(c) The College de France.
(d) Die Universitat in Deutchland.
5. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
(a) A pair of scissors.
(b) Coins and candy.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A pair of reading glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
2. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
3. What does Michel study during his scholarly life?
4. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
2. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
3. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
4. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
5. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
6. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
7. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
8. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
9. What is the importance of the alliteration and repetition used in Part 2, Chapter 1 when the author writes "Autumn is advancing?"
10. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)