|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
(a) With a letter.
(b) By his wife.
(c) By a young boy.
(d) By himself.
2. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
3. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
(a) At Michel's wedding three years ago.
(b) At Michel's father's funeral three years ago.
(c) At Michel's father's funeral last year.
(d) At Michel's wedding last year.
4. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
(a) Michel's wife.
(b) No one.
(d) A hotel employee.
5. At what time of day do Michel and his wife leave their hotel?
(a) At 11 a.m.
(b) At noon.
(c) After lunch.
(d) At dawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
2. Michel ghostwrites books for...
3. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
4. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. Why does Michel sunbathe nude and explore the craggy area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Michel and Charles spend their days?
2. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
3. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
4. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
5. Why does Michel's interest in Charles fade?
6. When is the novel written and what time period serves as the novel's setting?
7. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
8. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
9. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
10. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)