|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
(a) He is ahead of the trend by shaving off his mustache only.
(b) He wishes he'd never suggested the leeches.
(c) He thinks the goatee will impress the young goatherds he met on his honeymoon.
(d) He feels like people can read his thoughts more easily since he's not hiding behind a beard.
2. Why does Michel prefer to take his walks alone?
(a) So he can grieve over his mother's death.
(b) So his wife won't distract him from interacting with the children.
(c) So he can walk slower due to his limp.
(d) So he can think about his health.
3. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he's going to have a relapse.
(b) Like he wants to write a book.
(c) So alive that everything else seems dead.
(d) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
4. Michel ghostwrites books for...
(a) His father.
(b) His university.
(c) The king.
(d) An educational company.
5. What surprises Michel about the work he and his father do together?
(a) Nothing -- Michel runs the show.
(b) How little they are paid.
(c) The wealth they accumulate.
(d) How much more work remains.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
3. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
5. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
2. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
3. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
4. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
5. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
6. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
7. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
8. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
9. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
10. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)