|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 7, how does Michel try to act around his wife?
(a) Like her hero.
(b) Like he is better than she is.
(c) Like a studly man she can be proud of.
(d) Like his old self in demeanor.
2. At what time of day do Michel and his wife leave their hotel?
(a) At dawn.
(b) At 11 a.m.
(c) After lunch.
(d) At noon.
3. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
(a) Ancient history and culture.
(b) Art and music.
(c) Culture and language.
(d) American history and art.
4. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
(a) They want a change of scenery.
(b) The expense is getting ridiculous.
(c) Harsh winter weather is approaching.
(d) They are fighting and want to get back home.
5. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
(a) No one.
(c) A hotel employee.
(d) Michel's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
2. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
3. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
5. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
2. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
3. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
4. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
5. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
6. Why does Michel suddenly take an interest in the operation of the family estate?
7. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
8. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
9. When he was bedridden, Michel appreciated Marceline's attentive care. Now that he's better, he prefers to go for walks without her. Explain why.
10. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)