|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
(b) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
(c) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
(d) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
2. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
(a) Playing marbles with the children.
(b) Meeting lots of new boys.
(c) Resting in the shade.
(d) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
4. What does Michel's wife do while he is sick?
(a) Goes for long walks to get away from him.
(b) Stays with him and prays for him.
(c) Shops in the local market and spends all his money.
(d) Hangs out with local children in the park.
5. Where do Michel and his wife settle down for him to resume his studies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
2. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
3. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
4. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
5. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
2. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
3. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
4. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
5. Michel doesn't really know Marceline when they marry. Why does he grow to love and respect his new wife on their honeymoon?
6. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
7. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
8. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
9. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
10. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)