|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
(a) In a park near the hotel.
(b) On the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
(c) In an orchard across town.
(d) In an alley behind the hotel.
2. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Temporary writer.
(b) Temporary teaching position.
(c) Full time teaching position.
(d) Full time writer.
3. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
(a) With anticipation of a new joy.
(b) With fear of his secret being discovered.
(c) With dread and concern.
(d) With anticipation that leads to ulcers.
4. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
(a) A pair of reading glasses.
(b) A pair of scissors.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) Coins and candy.
5. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
(a) Students who have read his books.
(b) Old women from the market.
(c) More and more Arab children.
(d) His old friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
3. Who is the protagonist of The Immoralist?
4. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
2. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
3. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
4. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
5. What is the importance of the alliteration and repetition used in Part 2, Chapter 1 when the author writes "Autumn is advancing?"
6. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
7. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
8. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
9. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
10. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)