|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
(a) Her frugality.
(b) Her desire to have children.
(c) Her relationships with little boys.
(d) Her religion.
2. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "An old man should reach out his hands."
(b) "Living life for that very moment."
(c) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
(d) "The joy made me want to laugh."
3. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) A ship's whistle.
(b) A carriage bearing down on the road.
(c) A train approaching.
(d) His wife's cries for help.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
(a) A friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother-in-law.
5. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(c) Positive, yet cruel to his wife.
(d) Negative and very cruel to his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
2. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
4. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
2. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
3. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
4. Who is the letter written to that outlines the story and who wrote the letter?
5. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
6. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
7. What changes does autumn bring to Michel in Part 2, Chapter 1?
8. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
9. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
10. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)