|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
(b) "Living life for that very moment."
(c) "The joy made me want to laugh."
(d) "An old man should reach out his hands."
2. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) To meet his wife's carriage.
(b) To meet young boys.
(c) For fun.
(d) To pick up a delivery.
3. Who is the protagonist of The Immoralist?
4. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
(a) Culture and language.
(b) Art and music.
(c) Ancient history and culture.
(d) American history and art.
5. By accepting the job he was offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, Michel is showing his desire once again toward...
(a) To hang out with young boys.
(b) To make changes in his physical appearance.
(c) Intellectual pursuits.
(d) To start a new life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
2. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
3. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
4. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. Michel ghostwrites books for...
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
2. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
3. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
4. Why does Michel summon his friends at the end of the story?
5. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
6. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
7. When is the novel written and what time period serves as the novel's setting?
8. What is ironic about Michel's decision to stay at the family estate while pursuing his academic interests?
9. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
10. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)