|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Masochists, crocodile god worshipers, and would-be martyrs prove the _________ does not work.
2. The truth is that having what you want is not a matter of faith, but a matter of __________.
3. Shimoda advises Richard to _________ in reference to his feelings in question #143.
4. What frightens Richard as he and Shimoda are talking that night?
5. The second male caller on the radio show brings the charge that Shimoda is somehow ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Shimoda add the gore of a shotgun death?
2. What does Shimoda say about the talents and skills Richard and he have?
3. What causes Richard to threaten violence to the vision Shimoda shows to Richard?
4. How does Shimoda respond when the talk show host infers the idea that gypsy piloting is illegal?
5. Why does Richard dream about airplanes when he is sleeping?
6. What does the woman caller say about the idea of "doing what you want?"
7. Why is the song from Richard's boyhood such a strange occurrence?
8. What does Richard answer to Shimoda's question of how Richard can expect to impress the workday world when he runs around as a gypsy pilot?
9. What happens when Richard is refueling his plane?
10. What does Richard conclude about Shimoda and his relationship to the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a journey for the reader as much as it is a journey for Richard. But Richard's journey seems to take a few turns here and there.
Part 1: What is the point at which Richard seems to accept his spiritual journey?
Part 2: At which points does Richard seem to disbelieve the idea he can become a Master?
Part 3: Does Richard seem to be a good candidate to be a Master? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of magnetizing is another lesson that Richard needs to learn as he is becoming a master.
Part 1: Describe the idea of magnetizing.
Part 2: Describe Richard's first attempt at magnetizing.
Part 3: What does Shimoda say Richard should have done in order to make Richard's magnetizing attempt more successful?
Essay Topic 3
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)