|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard begins to believe that Shimoda does not __________ this world
2. What does Shimoda vanish through, just as Richard is beginning to understand the lesson of the wall?
3. Richard wants to add that everyone can do as he or she pleases, so long as we don't ___________.
4. What is Richard's answer about the question of why he dreams about airplanes?
5. Richard is annoyed about never receiving ___________ from Shimoda.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shimoda answer when Richard declares being a Master to be frustrating as hell?
2. What happens when Richard is refueling his plane?
3. What does Richard answer to Shimoda's question of how Richard can expect to impress the workday world when he runs around as a gypsy pilot?
4. What does the host of the Jeff Sykes Talk Show suggest about gypsy piloting?
5. Describe the vision that Shimoda walks back with after walking toward the shadow?
6. What does Richard ask Shimoda as they are eating at a cafe in Ryerson, Ohio?
7. When the woman caller demands to know how Shimoda can say the things he does, what does he respond?
8. What does Shimoda do after Richard states that he thinks he is finally beginning to understand the idea of walking through walls?
9. What does Richard continue to do, though the outcome never changes?
10. Why does Richard dream about airplanes when he is sleeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
Essay Topic 3
The two main characters in this story - Richard and Shimoda - are the central focus of the story, even though this is a story about the idea of illusions.
Part 1: Describe the character of Richard at the start of the story.
Part 2: Describe the character of Shimoda.
Part 3: How do each of the characters change during the course of the story?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)