|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda confirms to Richard that everything that happened and that is happening is just a _______.
2. What is Richard's engine throwing less of at the start of this chapter?
3. One need not _______ anything, for cosmic law takes care of it.
4. The book tells Richard that a happy and free life requires that ______ be sacrificed.
5. Shimoda advises Richard to _________ in reference to his feelings in question #143.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman caller say about the idea of "doing what you want?"
2. What is a thought form used for, according to Shimoda?
3. What does Shimoda think is a great way to run the universe?
4. When does Shimoda confess to feeling lonely in his life?
5. What is the question Richard then formulates when he begins to do the thing which is the answer to #33?
6. Describe the vision that Shimoda walks back with after walking toward the shadow?
7. What does Richard answer to Shimoda's question of how Richard can expect to impress the workday world when he runs around as a gypsy pilot?
8. What does Shimoda announce is the reason for Richard being here?
9. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to help Richard get straight answers from him?
10. What does Shimoda declare about humans in general? What are they capable of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a Messiah being able to quit is a unique idea in the eyes of most readers.
Part 1: How is the term Messiah defined in this story?
Part 2: Why does Shimoda want to quit his position as a Messiah?
Part 3: How does Shimoda end up quitting his role as the Master or Messiah?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda's plane is a unique one, one that Richard can not help but admire and desire.
Part 1: What kind of plane does Shimoda have?
Part 2: What is so special about Shimoda's plane?
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone besides Richard notice that Shimoda's plane is special?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)