|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda tries to explain to Richard that __________ does not affect reality.
2. Richard is told that he must _________ his own documents.
3. Shimoda can do anything because he _________ he knows.
4. What is the character from the shadow wearing?
5. Shimoda says that Richard's _________ proves he will do what he wants, even if it hurts someone.
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Shimoda confess to feeling lonely in his life?
2. Why did Shimoda add the gore of a shotgun death?
3. When the woman caller demands to know how Shimoda can say the things he does, what does he respond?
4. Why does Richard dream about airplanes when he is sleeping?
5. What does Shimoda think is a great way to run the universe?
6. What does Shimoda declare about humans in general? What are they capable of?
7. What does Richard continue to do, though the outcome never changes?
8. What does Richard ask Shimoda as they are eating at a cafe in Ryerson, Ohio?
9. What does Richard answer to Shimoda's question of how Richard can expect to impress the workday world when he runs around as a gypsy pilot?
10. What does the host of the Jeff Sykes Talk Show suggest about gypsy piloting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of flying is symbolic in a number of ways in this story. The planes which fly are gypsy planes, unchecked and possibly illegal.
Part 1: Describe the idea of gypsy flying. What does it entail?
Part 2: How does the idea of flying relate to the idea of being a Messiah?
Part 3: What does flying symbolize to Richard during the story?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of magnetizing is another lesson that Richard needs to learn as he is becoming a master.
Part 1: Describe the idea of magnetizing.
Part 2: Describe Richard's first attempt at magnetizing.
Part 3: What does Shimoda say Richard should have done in order to make Richard's magnetizing attempt more successful?
Essay Topic 3
Although he used to be a Messiah, Shimoda seems to have troubles controlling his patience. This seems to be in conflict with what he can do for Richard.
Part 1: Describe one instance in which Shimoda becomes impatient with Richard.
Part 2: What might be the reason for Shimoda becoming so impatient with Richard?
Part 3: How does Shimoda's impatience help Richard's progress? How does it hurt Richard's progress?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)