|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard's engine throwing less of at the start of this chapter?
2. Shimoda and Richard remain ___________ should Richard have any questions or need to discuss any problems.
3. Richard begins to believe that Shimoda does not __________ this world
4. Shimoda tries to explain to Richard that __________ does not affect reality.
5. Shimoda asks Richard if he thinks __________ would have said he could not play a guitar.
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Richard to threaten violence to the vision Shimoda shows to Richard?
2. What does Richard find difficult about the idea of knowing that he knows everything?
3. What does Shimoda announce is the reason for Richard being here?
4. Why did Shimoda add the gore of a shotgun death?
5. What is Richard doing when he overhears his boyhood favorite song, Greensleeves?
6. When the woman caller demands to know how Shimoda can say the things he does, what does he respond?
7. What does Shimoda declare about humans in general? What are they capable of?
8. What does the host of the Jeff Sykes Talk Show suggest about gypsy piloting?
9. What does Richard answer to Shimoda's question of how Richard can expect to impress the workday world when he runs around as a gypsy pilot?
10. What does Shimoda think is a great way to run the universe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book Shimoda gives to Richard reveals as many questions as the answers it provides to a person who reads it.
Part 1: What might this Savior's Manual be akin to in real life? What books in real life might provide the same counsel?
Part 2: Why might Richard need to be given a book to learn from, rather than being taught what he needs to know?
Part 3: Why doesn't the book give direct answers to those who read it?
Essay Topic 2
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
Essay Topic 3
The assassination of Shimoda has been alluded to throughout the book, though it's no less shocking when it does happen.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Shimoda is killed.
Part 2: What is Richard's reaction to the killing of Shimoda?
Part 3: What is the result of Shimoda's assassination? What happened to Richard as a result?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)