|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda tests Richard by questioning his value as a part of society when he runs around as a ____________.
2. Shimoda and Richard remain ___________ should Richard have any questions or need to discuss any problems.
3. Richard wants to add that everyone can do as he or she pleases, so long as we don't ___________.
4. What does Shimoda have to say about the idea of people destroying the earth?
5. What does not occur, even though the Fleet runs better than ever and does not kill any more bugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard ask Shimoda as they are eating at a cafe in Ryerson, Ohio?
2. What does Shimoda think is a great way to run the universe?
3. What causes Richard to threaten violence to the vision Shimoda shows to Richard?
4. When the woman caller demands to know how Shimoda can say the things he does, what does he respond?
5. What happens when Richard is refueling his plane?
6. When does Shimoda confess to feeling lonely in his life?
7. What does Richard find difficult about the idea of knowing that he knows everything?
8. How does Shimoda respond when the talk show host infers the idea that gypsy piloting is illegal?
9. What does Shimoda announce is the reason for Richard being here?
10. Why is the song from Richard's boyhood such a strange occurrence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two main characters in this story - Richard and Shimoda - are the central focus of the story, even though this is a story about the idea of illusions.
Part 1: Describe the character of Richard at the start of the story.
Part 2: Describe the character of Shimoda.
Part 3: How do each of the characters change during the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
Essay Topic 3
The scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies is an interesting one, one that seems to have a number of layers to it - as well as lessons.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies.
Part 2: How does Shimoda challenge Richard when they are at the movie?
Part 3: What does Richard learn from going to the movies with Shimoda?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)