|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda and Richard remain ___________ should Richard have any questions or need to discuss any problems.
2. What is the name of the host on the talk show Shimoda and Richard are on?
3. What do Richard and Shimoda eat when they are at the cafe together?
4. Shimoda confirms to Richard that everything that happened and that is happening is just a _______.
5. The book tells Richard that a happy and free life requires that ______ be sacrificed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Richard to threaten violence to the vision Shimoda shows to Richard?
2. What does Shimoda announce is the reason for Richard being here?
3. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to help Richard get straight answers from him?
4. What does Richard conclude about Shimoda and his relationship to the world?
5. Describe the vision that Shimoda walks back with after walking toward the shadow?
6. What does Richard continue to do, though the outcome never changes?
7. What is a thought form used for, according to Shimoda?
8. What does the woman caller say about the idea of "doing what you want?"
9. When does Shimoda confess to feeling lonely in his life?
10. When the woman caller demands to know how Shimoda can say the things he does, what does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a Messiah being able to quit is a unique idea in the eyes of most readers.
Part 1: How is the term Messiah defined in this story?
Part 2: Why does Shimoda want to quit his position as a Messiah?
Part 3: How does Shimoda end up quitting his role as the Master or Messiah?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda's quitting his role as the Mechanic Messiah or the American Avatar is one that continues to show readers a new side of being all knowing and all powerful.
Part 1: Why has Shimoda decided to come back to everyday life as a pilot after being the Master?
Part 2: What are some of the problems with coming back to everyday life after having been a Messiah?
Part 3: What is Shimoda's opinion of Jesus and his role as a Messiah? What does he think about the idea of Jesus quitting his job?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)