|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda asks: Can they be living in four billion _______________?
2. Richard recalls reading about __________ but finds letting go of doubt hard.
3. Richard is annoyed about never receiving ___________ from Shimoda.
4. Shimoda asks Richard if he thinks __________ would have said he could not play a guitar.
5. The book tells Richard that ___________ characters can be more real than flesh and blood.
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Shimoda confess to feeling lonely in his life?
2. What does Shimoda say about the talents and skills Richard and he have?
3. What does Richard conclude about Shimoda and his relationship to the world?
4. What is a thought form used for, according to Shimoda?
5. When the woman caller demands to know how Shimoda can say the things he does, what does he respond?
6. What does Shimoda announce is the reason for Richard being here?
7. What does the host of the Jeff Sykes Talk Show suggest about gypsy piloting?
8. What is the question Richard then formulates when he begins to do the thing which is the answer to #33?
9. Why did Shimoda add the gore of a shotgun death?
10. Describe the vision that Shimoda walks back with after walking toward the shadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of 'like attracting like' is another idea that continues to emerge and to develop as the story unfolds.
Part 1: Explain the idea of 'like attracts like.'
Part 2: What is the first example of like attracting like in this story?
Part 3: Cite at least two other ways in which 'like attracts like' in this story.
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to work miracles during the story, even though they might not appear to be miracles to anyone but the ones to which they happen.
Part 1: Describe what happens with the old man and the 10-year-girl when they encounter Shimoda.
Part 2: Describe what happens with the man in the wheelchair when he encounters Shimoda.
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone notice these miracles as being miracles?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)