|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda's response to the idea of the answer to #158 being illegal is that no one can stop them from ________ what they want.
2. Masochists, crocodile god worshipers, and would-be martyrs prove the _________ does not work.
3. In what kind of light does Shimoda instruct Richard to visualize his desired objects.
4. In what state is the cafe where Richard and Shimoda dine during Chapter 14?
5. Shimoda believes it is a great way to run the ________________, letting everyone do as they please.
Essay Topic 1
This book is a journey for the reader as much as it is a journey for Richard. But Richard's journey seems to take a few turns here and there.
Part 1: What is the point at which Richard seems to accept his spiritual journey?
Part 2: At which points does Richard seem to disbelieve the idea he can become a Master?
Part 3: Does Richard seem to be a good candidate to be a Master? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a Messiah being able to quit is a unique idea in the eyes of most readers.
Part 1: How is the term Messiah defined in this story?
Part 2: Why does Shimoda want to quit his position as a Messiah?
Part 3: How does Shimoda end up quitting his role as the Master or Messiah?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda's quitting his role as the Mechanic Messiah or the American Avatar is one that continues to show readers a new side of being all knowing and all powerful.
Part 1: Why has Shimoda decided to come back to everyday life as a pilot after being the Master?
Part 2: What are some of the problems with coming back to everyday life after having been a Messiah?
Part 3: What is Shimoda's opinion of Jesus and his role as a Messiah? What does he think about the idea of Jesus quitting his job?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)