Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda's response to the idea of the answer to #158 being illegal is that no one can stop them from ________ what they want.
2. Masochists, crocodile god worshipers, and would-be martyrs prove the _________ does not work.
3. In what kind of light does Shimoda instruct Richard to visualize his desired objects.
4. In what state is the cafe where Richard and Shimoda dine during Chapter 14?
5. Shimoda believes it is a great way to run the ________________, letting everyone do as they please.
Essay Topic 1
Although he used to be a Messiah, Shimoda seems to have troubles controlling his patience. This seems to be in conflict with what he can do for Richard.
Part 1: Describe one instance in which Shimoda becomes impatient with Richard.
Part 2: What might be the reason for Shimoda becoming so impatient with Richard?
Part 3: How does Shimoda's impatience help Richard's progress? How does it hurt Richard's progress?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of flying is symbolic in a number of ways in this story. The planes which fly are gypsy planes, unchecked and possibly illegal.
Part 1: Describe the idea of gypsy flying. What does it entail?
Part 2: How does the idea of flying relate to the idea of being a Messiah?
Part 3: What does flying symbolize to Richard during the story?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)