|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimoda say he can always do if Richard offers to pay him for advice or to help him with his engine troubles?
2. What does Richard do in order to keep from thinking while he is sitting out by the fire?
3. What is the longer title for the book that Shimoda gives to Richard when he asks about how to train to become a Master? Messiah's Manual & Reminders for the _____________.
4. What kinds of stories does the Messiah tell to the crowds who follow him from place to place?
5. The mind, or imagination, is life's _____________, according to Richard's observations.
Short Essay Questions
1. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
2. What does Shimoda say when Richard asks him why no one likes his pan-bread?
3. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
4. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
5. When Richard cannot vaporize clouds, what does he realize about the process?
6. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
7. What do gypsy fliers need in order to fly their planes and to land them in the fields?
8. What did Donald W. Shimoda retire from being, according to the beginning of the story?
9. What does Shimoda give to Richard when Richard asks how Shimoda can know so much and how he can learn about being a Messiah?
10. Why hasn't returning to normal life been easy for Shimoda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
Essay Topic 2
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of magnetizing is another lesson that Richard needs to learn as he is becoming a master.
Part 1: Describe the idea of magnetizing.
Part 2: Describe Richard's first attempt at magnetizing.
Part 3: What does Shimoda say Richard should have done in order to make Richard's magnetizing attempt more successful?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)