|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard notices that Shimoda's plane is better than ________ fresh. It has no dust, scratches, patches, or any wear and tear.
2. What does Shimoda say he can always do if Richard offers to pay him for advice or to help him with his engine troubles?
3. Richard says that being ___________ and finished is boring.
4. Richard dreams about a ___________ of humanity pouring against a man.
5. The image of a sunset is a dream, but the ________ is real.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why hasn't returning to normal life been easy for Shimoda?
2. What does Shimoda answer when Richard declares being a Master to be frustrating as hell?
3. Describe the character of Donald Shimoda.
4. What does Richard conclude about Shimoda and his relationship to the world?
5. What is Richard doing when he overhears his boyhood favorite song, Greensleeves?
6. What does Shimoda think is a great way to run the universe?
7. What does Richard answer when Shimoda asks him why he is at the movie?
8. What is the question Richard then formulates when he begins to do the thing which is the answer to #33?
9. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
10. What message from the book does Richard think does not apply to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies is an interesting one, one that seems to have a number of layers to it - as well as lessons.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies.
Part 2: How does Shimoda challenge Richard when they are at the movie?
Part 3: What does Richard learn from going to the movies with Shimoda?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a Messiah being able to quit is a unique idea in the eyes of most readers.
Part 1: How is the term Messiah defined in this story?
Part 2: Why does Shimoda want to quit his position as a Messiah?
Part 3: How does Shimoda end up quitting his role as the Master or Messiah?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
This section contains 1,833 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)