|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Messiah say to the greater being when he is sorry he has let it go this long?
2. Shimoda says: Once one learns what the world is and how it works, one _________ performs so-called miracles.
3. Richard deduces that movies must be like one's ___________.
4. Who refuses to fly when they arrive at Shimoda and Richard's setup area?
5. Shimoda tells Richard, "Nothing good is a miracle, and nothing lovely is a _________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard dream about before he is awakened at 3:00 A.M., happy about the dream?
2. What does Shimoda say when Richard asks him why no one likes his pan-bread?
3. Why hasn't returning to normal life been easy for Shimoda?
4. Why do Shimoda's bosses ask him to leave the auto repair shop where he initially works?
5. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
6. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to vaporize clouds?
7. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
8. What are two names Shimoda admits to being representative of who he really is?
9. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
10. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)