|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what city in Indiana is Richard flying when Chapter 2 begins?
2. Who is the person who is terrified of heights?
3. What is the condition of Shimoda's clothes after they have swum in the land?
4. Richard gets annoyed with Shimoda and his discussions because everything Richard says is ___________.
5. What does Shimoda think people only want from him or from other Masters and Messiahs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
2. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
3. Describe the character of Donald Shimoda.
4. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
5. What does Richard dream about before he is awakened at 3:00 A.M., happy about the dream?
6. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
7. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
8. What passage can Shimoda not recall as Richard is flipping through the section on Perspective?
9. What does Shimoda say when Richard asks him why no one likes his pan-bread?
10. Why does Richard find it difficult to look at Shimoda too closely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although he used to be a Messiah, Shimoda seems to have troubles controlling his patience. This seems to be in conflict with what he can do for Richard.
Part 1: Describe one instance in which Shimoda becomes impatient with Richard.
Part 2: What might be the reason for Shimoda becoming so impatient with Richard?
Part 3: How does Shimoda's impatience help Richard's progress? How does it hurt Richard's progress?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
Essay Topic 3
Richard does have troubles with the idea of walking through walls, even though he has done a number of other things that have proven to him that it can be possible.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which Richard has begun to break down his ideas of what is real and what is illusion?
Part 2: Why can't Richard make the jump from what he has done to walking through walls?
Part 3: Why doesn't Shimoda just give Richard an answer as to how to walk through walls?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)