|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard says that if there was anyone to teach him what he wants to know, he would _________ to him or her.
2. Shimoda tells Richard he once ___________ in front of 25,000 eyewitnesses, which is why he's always on the move.
3. From what state does the Master in question in this book emerge?
4. The covering of this Master training manual is made of ____________.
5. What is the feeling Richard continues to have when in the presence of Shimoda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two names Shimoda admits to being representative of who he really is?
2. What did Donald W. Shimoda retire from being, according to the beginning of the story?
3. When Richard cannot vaporize clouds, what does he realize about the process?
4. What leaves Richard dumbfounded after he tries to impress Shimoda with a show-off landing?
5. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
6. Describe the character of Donald Shimoda.
7. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
8. What does Richard see for the first time in years when he is flying over Ferris, Indiana?
9. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
10. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a journey for the reader as much as it is a journey for Richard. But Richard's journey seems to take a few turns here and there.
Part 1: What is the point at which Richard seems to accept his spiritual journey?
Part 2: At which points does Richard seem to disbelieve the idea he can become a Master?
Part 3: Does Richard seem to be a good candidate to be a Master? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The assassination of Shimoda has been alluded to throughout the book, though it's no less shocking when it does happen.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Shimoda is killed.
Part 2: What is Richard's reaction to the killing of Shimoda?
Part 3: What is the result of Shimoda's assassination? What happened to Richard as a result?
Essay Topic 3
Richard begins to have troubles vaporizing clouds at one point, recognizing that he is simply making things too difficult for himself.
Part 1: Why does Richard want to vaporize clouds in the first place?
Part 2: In what way is Richard making the vaporization of clouds too difficult on himself?
Part 3: What is the lesson Richard can extract from this moment of trying to vaporize clouds?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)