|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimoda float in front of Richard, just for his own amusement?
2. Shimoda says many beginners do ___________ in their sleep.
3. People are unhappy because they choose ____________.
4. Richard says that if there was anyone to teach him what he wants to know, he would _________ to him or her.
5. What does the man in the wheelchair do that makes the scene look staged, according to Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
2. What does Richard see for the first time in years when he is flying over Ferris, Indiana?
3. Why is Shimoda suddenly furious with Richard about his question about the landing?
4. What does Shimoda give to Richard when Richard asks how Shimoda can know so much and how he can learn about being a Messiah?
5. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
6. What are two names Shimoda admits to being representative of who he really is?
7. What is the passage Shimoda shares with Richard after the situation that occurs in #19?
8. When Richard cannot vaporize clouds, what does he realize about the process?
9. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
10. What leaves Richard dumbfounded after he tries to impress Shimoda with a show-off landing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a journey for the reader as much as it is a journey for Richard. But Richard's journey seems to take a few turns here and there.
Part 1: What is the point at which Richard seems to accept his spiritual journey?
Part 2: At which points does Richard seem to disbelieve the idea he can become a Master?
Part 3: Does Richard seem to be a good candidate to be a Master? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to work miracles during the story, even though they might not appear to be miracles to anyone but the ones to which they happen.
Part 1: Describe what happens with the old man and the 10-year-girl when they encounter Shimoda.
Part 2: Describe what happens with the man in the wheelchair when he encounters Shimoda.
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone notice these miracles as being miracles?
Essay Topic 3
The assassination of Shimoda has been alluded to throughout the book, though it's no less shocking when it does happen.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Shimoda is killed.
Part 2: What is Richard's reaction to the killing of Shimoda?
Part 3: What is the result of Shimoda's assassination? What happened to Richard as a result?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)