|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many points is the landing that Shimoda makes, impressing Richard?
2. Shimoda cannot recall this passage about being a Messiah involving _________.
3. What does Richard realize about his attempts with the clouds? He is making things __________.
4. Richard truly believes he will find a __________ to help him.
5. Richard reads about being led through life by an inner _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard find it difficult to look at Shimoda too closely?
2. What does Shimoda say when Richard asks him why no one likes his pan-bread?
3. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
4. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
5. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
6. What does Richard answer when Shimoda asks him why he is at the movie?
7. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
8. What leaves Richard dumbfounded after he tries to impress Shimoda with a show-off landing?
9. Why do Shimoda's bosses ask him to leave the auto repair shop where he initially works?
10. What does Richard have to say about life when eating dinner with Shimoda in Hammond, Wisconsin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a Messiah being able to quit is a unique idea in the eyes of most readers.
Part 1: How is the term Messiah defined in this story?
Part 2: Why does Shimoda want to quit his position as a Messiah?
Part 3: How does Shimoda end up quitting his role as the Master or Messiah?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda's quitting his role as the Mechanic Messiah or the American Avatar is one that continues to show readers a new side of being all knowing and all powerful.
Part 1: Why has Shimoda decided to come back to everyday life as a pilot after being the Master?
Part 2: What are some of the problems with coming back to everyday life after having been a Messiah?
Part 3: What is Shimoda's opinion of Jesus and his role as a Messiah? What does he think about the idea of Jesus quitting his job?
Essay Topic 3
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)