|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Choosing a different _________ boggles Richard's mind.
2. Where does the Master, as referenced in the title, originally have a job when he is found to be a Messiah?
3. In response to the statement by the Master in #11, the greater being says that he has just learned that the path of happiness teaches each why they have chosen this ____________.
4. What does Shimoda say he can always do if Richard offers to pay him for advice or to help him with his engine troubles?
5. What do gypsy fliers need in addition to a long, smooth, close-cut field near a town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
2. What does Richard dream about before he is awakened at 3:00 A.M., happy about the dream?
3. What passage can Shimoda not recall as Richard is flipping through the section on Perspective?
4. What does Richard have to say about life when eating dinner with Shimoda in Hammond, Wisconsin?
5. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
6. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
7. Why does Richard find it difficult to look at Shimoda too closely?
8. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
9. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
10. What does Shimoda say to Richard's question about the pages in the book not being numbered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimoda seems to work miracles during the story, even though they might not appear to be miracles to anyone but the ones to which they happen.
Part 1: Describe what happens with the old man and the 10-year-girl when they encounter Shimoda.
Part 2: Describe what happens with the man in the wheelchair when he encounters Shimoda.
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone notice these miracles as being miracles?
Essay Topic 2
Richard begins to have troubles vaporizing clouds at one point, recognizing that he is simply making things too difficult for himself.
Part 1: Why does Richard want to vaporize clouds in the first place?
Part 2: In what way is Richard making the vaporization of clouds too difficult on himself?
Part 3: What is the lesson Richard can extract from this moment of trying to vaporize clouds?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of magnetizing is another lesson that Richard needs to learn as he is becoming a master.
Part 1: Describe the idea of magnetizing.
Part 2: Describe Richard's first attempt at magnetizing.
Part 3: What does Shimoda say Richard should have done in order to make Richard's magnetizing attempt more successful?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)