|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the crowds that follow the Messiah call him, besides "Messiah" and "Master?"
2. At the same time, Richard is ________ what will happen when Shimoda and the healed man land again.
3. What does Richard do in order to keep from thinking while he is sitting out by the fire?
4. What does the Messiah say to the greater being when he is sorry he has let it go this long?
5. Richard cannot picture Jesus returning to being a _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
2. What does Shimoda say when Richard asks him why no one likes his pan-bread?
3. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
4. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
5. What do gypsy fliers need in order to fly their planes and to land them in the fields?
6. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
7. What message from the book does Richard think does not apply to him?
8. What does Richard answer when Shimoda asks him why he is at the movie?
9. When Richard cannot vaporize clouds, what does he realize about the process?
10. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
Essay Topic 2
Although he used to be a Messiah, Shimoda seems to have troubles controlling his patience. This seems to be in conflict with what he can do for Richard.
Part 1: Describe one instance in which Shimoda becomes impatient with Richard.
Part 2: What might be the reason for Shimoda becoming so impatient with Richard?
Part 3: How does Shimoda's impatience help Richard's progress? How does it hurt Richard's progress?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of 'like attracting like' is another idea that continues to emerge and to develop as the story unfolds.
Part 1: Explain the idea of 'like attracts like.'
Part 2: What is the first example of like attracting like in this story?
Part 3: Cite at least two other ways in which 'like attracts like' in this story.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)