|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard has seen the movie because he was asked, and so, too, do many choose _________ that allow them to do things together.
2. Richard deduces that movies must be like one's ___________.
3. Shimoda tells Richard he once ___________ in front of 25,000 eyewitnesses, which is why he's always on the move.
4. The covering of this Master training manual is made of ____________.
5. Shimoda says there is not much he can do but ______________ because he gets into problems if he stays anywhere too long.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard dream about before he is awakened at 3:00 A.M., happy about the dream?
2. What does Shimoda give to Richard when Richard asks how Shimoda can know so much and how he can learn about being a Messiah?
3. What does Richard have to say about life when eating dinner with Shimoda in Hammond, Wisconsin?
4. Describe the character of Donald Shimoda.
5. Why hasn't returning to normal life been easy for Shimoda?
6. What message from the book does Richard think does not apply to him?
7. What is the passage Shimoda shares with Richard after the situation that occurs in #19?
8. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
9. What does Richard see for the first time in years when he is flying over Ferris, Indiana?
10. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to vaporize clouds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this story seems to be referenced at a number of points, but it doesn't always get fully explained to the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the title of the book, Illusions?
Part 2: What are some of the illusions pointed out in this story?
Part 3: What is the importance of learning that the world is filled with illusions?
Essay Topic 2
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)