|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard call the movement of the time period in which people are turning from the material to the spiritual?
2. What is the reason Richard gives for going to the movie? He wants to see _________.
3. Richard begins to wonder, "If life is illusion, why _______?"
4. Whose presence does Richard feel when he wakes up at 3:00 A.M., even though he can't see him?
5. When the creature wants to let go of the river, others tell him that he will be killed faster by letting go than by __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
2. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
3. What does Richard dream about before he is awakened at 3:00 A.M., happy about the dream?
4. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
5. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
6. What does Shimoda claim to Richard when they first meet?
7. What does Shimoda say to Richard's question about the pages in the book not being numbered?
8. What does Shimoda give to Richard when Richard asks how Shimoda can know so much and how he can learn about being a Messiah?
9. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
10. What message from the book does Richard think does not apply to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to work miracles during the story, even though they might not appear to be miracles to anyone but the ones to which they happen.
Part 1: Describe what happens with the old man and the 10-year-girl when they encounter Shimoda.
Part 2: Describe what happens with the man in the wheelchair when he encounters Shimoda.
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone notice these miracles as being miracles?
Essay Topic 3
The assassination of Shimoda has been alluded to throughout the book, though it's no less shocking when it does happen.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Shimoda is killed.
Part 2: What is Richard's reaction to the killing of Shimoda?
Part 3: What is the result of Shimoda's assassination? What happened to Richard as a result?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)