|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in relation to his troubles with clouds? Shimoda tells Richard to remove it from his __________.
2. Choosing a different _________ boggles Richard's mind.
3. Whose presence does Richard feel when he wakes up at 3:00 A.M., even though he can't see him?
4. What is rolled forward when Shimoda and his passenger eventually land at the field again?
5. The Master asks what the people would do if God were to command them to _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
2. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
3. What does Shimoda claim to Richard when they first meet?
4. What message from the book does Richard think does not apply to him?
5. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
6. What does Richard have to say about life when eating dinner with Shimoda in Hammond, Wisconsin?
7. What does Richard do in order to stop himself from thinking?
8. Why do Shimoda's bosses ask him to leave the auto repair shop where he initially works?
9. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
10. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a Messiah being able to quit is a unique idea in the eyes of most readers.
Part 1: How is the term Messiah defined in this story?
Part 2: Why does Shimoda want to quit his position as a Messiah?
Part 3: How does Shimoda end up quitting his role as the Master or Messiah?
Essay Topic 2
The title of this story seems to be referenced at a number of points, but it doesn't always get fully explained to the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the title of the book, Illusions?
Part 2: What are some of the illusions pointed out in this story?
Part 3: What is the importance of learning that the world is filled with illusions?
Essay Topic 3
The book Shimoda gives to Richard reveals as many questions as the answers it provides to a person who reads it.
Part 1: What might this Savior's Manual be akin to in real life? What books in real life might provide the same counsel?
Part 2: Why might Richard need to be given a book to learn from, rather than being taught what he needs to know?
Part 3: Why doesn't the book give direct answers to those who read it?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)