|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of biplane does Richard own and use in his gypsy flying business?
2. What does Shimoda make come back to life as Richard asks where they will fly today?
3. Shimoda says that his landing can be explained by the simple statement that the world and everything in it are ____________.
4. The mind, or imagination, is life's _____________, according to Richard's observations.
5. What does Richard realize about Shimoda's plane at about 3:00 P.M. as they are beginning to head out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
2. What are two names Shimoda admits to being representative of who he really is?
3. What does Shimoda claim to Richard when they first meet?
4. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
5. What does Shimoda give to Richard when Richard asks how Shimoda can know so much and how he can learn about being a Messiah?
6. What does Shimoda say to Richard's question about the pages in the book not being numbered?
7. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
8. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
9. What did Donald W. Shimoda retire from being, according to the beginning of the story?
10. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies is an interesting one, one that seems to have a number of layers to it - as well as lessons.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies.
Part 2: How does Shimoda challenge Richard when they are at the movie?
Part 3: What does Richard learn from going to the movies with Shimoda?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of magnetizing is another lesson that Richard needs to learn as he is becoming a master.
Part 1: Describe the idea of magnetizing.
Part 2: Describe Richard's first attempt at magnetizing.
Part 3: What does Shimoda say Richard should have done in order to make Richard's magnetizing attempt more successful?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda seems to work miracles during the story, even though they might not appear to be miracles to anyone but the ones to which they happen.
Part 1: Describe what happens with the old man and the 10-year-girl when they encounter Shimoda.
Part 2: Describe what happens with the man in the wheelchair when he encounters Shimoda.
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone notice these miracles as being miracles?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)