|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard says that being ___________ and finished is boring.
2. What is different about this book that Richard notices when he opens up the pages and flips around?
3. Where does the Master, as referenced in the title, originally have a job when he is found to be a Messiah?
4. ___________ cares noting about human illusions and games and knows only itself and humans in its perfect, finished likeness.
5. What kind of eyes does Richard think Shimoda has as he first sees him sitting underneath his plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Shimoda suddenly furious with Richard about his question about the landing?
2. Why hasn't returning to normal life been easy for Shimoda?
3. Why does Richard find it difficult to look at Shimoda too closely?
4. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
5. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
6. Why do Shimoda's bosses ask him to leave the auto repair shop where he initially works?
7. What message from the book does Richard think does not apply to him?
8. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
9. Describe the character of Donald Shimoda.
10. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The references to Christianity are many in this book. They allow the reader to see the similarities in the stories, as well as some obvious differences.
Part 1: Cite at least two scenes that might be comparable to Biblical stories.
Part 2: Might Shimoda be the person some call Jesus? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this book seem to be saying about the idea of religion?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
Essay Topic 3
The scene in which Shimoda uses the thought form to help make his point with Richard is a striking one.
Part 1: Describe the thought form that Shimoda uses to make his point with Richard.
Part 2: What is the purpose of the thought form tool in the teaching of a Master?
Part 3: What was the specific purpose of this thought form in relation to Richard's lessons?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)