|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimoda think people only want from him or from other Masters and Messiahs?
2. What does Richard call the movement of the time period in which people are turning from the material to the spiritual?
3. What kind of biplane does Richard own and use in his gypsy flying business?
4. Richard tells Shimoda he will give him his plane because Richard believes one day he will not need it in order to _______.
5. Shimoda cautions Richard that he should not get __________ attached to his attempts with the clouds.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Shimoda's bosses ask him to leave the auto repair shop where he initially works?
2. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
3. What does Richard answer when Shimoda asks him why he is at the movie?
4. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
5. What does Shimoda say when Richard asks him why no one likes his pan-bread?
6. What does Richard have to say about life when eating dinner with Shimoda in Hammond, Wisconsin?
7. What leaves Richard dumbfounded after he tries to impress Shimoda with a show-off landing?
8. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
9. What does Richard dream about before he is awakened at 3:00 A.M., happy about the dream?
10. What is the passage Shimoda shares with Richard after the situation that occurs in #19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The assassination of Shimoda has been alluded to throughout the book, though it's no less shocking when it does happen.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Shimoda is killed.
Part 2: What is Richard's reaction to the killing of Shimoda?
Part 3: What is the result of Shimoda's assassination? What happened to Richard as a result?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to make things look too easy, frustrating Richard a number of times during the story.
Part 1: What are some of the things Shimoda does that appear to be too easy?
Part 2: How does Richard react to the times when Shimoda does things so effortlessly?
Part 3: What does it say about the idea of a Messiah that they can do things easily? Is it just because they're better people or is there another reason?
Essay Topic 3
Richard does have troubles with the idea of walking through walls, even though he has done a number of other things that have proven to him that it can be possible.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which Richard has begun to break down his ideas of what is real and what is illusion?
Part 2: Why can't Richard make the jump from what he has done to walking through walls?
Part 3: Why doesn't Shimoda just give Richard an answer as to how to walk through walls?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)