|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard reads about being led through life by an inner _____________.
2. What movie does Shimoda suggest they go to see when they are done with their dinner?
3. What do gypsy fliers need in addition to a long, smooth, close-cut field near a town?
4. What is rolled forward when Shimoda and his passenger eventually land at the field again?
5. Richard deduces that movies must be like one's ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
2. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
3. When Richard cannot vaporize clouds, what does he realize about the process?
4. What does Shimoda claim to Richard when they first meet?
5. What does Shimoda say to Richard's question about the pages in the book not being numbered?
6. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
7. What is the passage Shimoda shares with Richard after the situation that occurs in #19?
8. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to vaporize clouds?
9. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
10. Why do Shimoda's bosses ask him to leave the auto repair shop where he initially works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of flying is symbolic in a number of ways in this story. The planes which fly are gypsy planes, unchecked and possibly illegal.
Part 1: Describe the idea of gypsy flying. What does it entail?
Part 2: How does the idea of flying relate to the idea of being a Messiah?
Part 3: What does flying symbolize to Richard during the story?
Essay Topic 2
The scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies is an interesting one, one that seems to have a number of layers to it - as well as lessons.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Richard and Shimoda go to the movies.
Part 2: How does Shimoda challenge Richard when they are at the movie?
Part 3: What does Richard learn from going to the movies with Shimoda?
Essay Topic 3
Although he used to be a Messiah, Shimoda seems to have troubles controlling his patience. This seems to be in conflict with what he can do for Richard.
Part 1: Describe one instance in which Shimoda becomes impatient with Richard.
Part 2: What might be the reason for Shimoda becoming so impatient with Richard?
Part 3: How does Shimoda's impatience help Richard's progress? How does it hurt Richard's progress?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)