|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard cannot picture Jesus returning to being a _____________.
2. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in relation to his troubles with clouds? Shimoda tells Richard to remove it from his __________.
3. Shimoda says that if someone says he has something or acts as though he has something, then _________.
4. Richard tells Shimoda he will give him his plane because Richard believes one day he will not need it in order to _______.
5. What is different about this book that Richard notices when he opens up the pages and flips around?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Donald W. Shimoda retire from being, according to the beginning of the story?
2. What does Richard do in order to stop himself from thinking?
3. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
4. What happens when Shimoda tosses Richard a wrench as they are working on the engine?
5. Why is Shimoda suddenly furious with Richard about his question about the landing?
6. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
7. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
8. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
9. What is the passage Shimoda shares with Richard after the situation that occurs in #19?
10. Why does Richard find it difficult to look at Shimoda too closely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book Shimoda gives to Richard reveals as many questions as the answers it provides to a person who reads it.
Part 1: What might this Savior's Manual be akin to in real life? What books in real life might provide the same counsel?
Part 2: Why might Richard need to be given a book to learn from, rather than being taught what he needs to know?
Part 3: Why doesn't the book give direct answers to those who read it?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda seems to work miracles during the story, even though they might not appear to be miracles to anyone but the ones to which they happen.
Part 1: Describe what happens with the old man and the 10-year-girl when they encounter Shimoda.
Part 2: Describe what happens with the man in the wheelchair when he encounters Shimoda.
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone notice these miracles as being miracles?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)