|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimoda say in response to Richard's question of how Shimoda found him?
2. Who does the Master pray to as he begins to feel fatigued by his work as the Messiah?
3. Richard gets annoyed with Shimoda and his discussions because everything Richard says is ___________.
4. Richard feels _______ at the healing of the man who seems to deserve it.
5. Over what city in Indiana is Richard flying when Chapter 2 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
2. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to vaporize clouds?
3. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
4. What is the passage Shimoda shares with Richard after the situation that occurs in #19?
5. What does Shimoda claim to Richard when they first meet?
6. What are two names Shimoda admits to being representative of who he really is?
7. Why do Shimoda's bosses ask him to leave the auto repair shop where he initially works?
8. What does the book say about the idea of clouds and their impressions of the world?
9. Describe the story the Messiah uses in order to answer the millworker's objection that the Master does not have to work.
10. What must people do in order to enjoy life and to experience the illusion of time and space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimoda seems to work miracles during the story, even though they might not appear to be miracles to anyone but the ones to which they happen.
Part 1: Describe what happens with the old man and the 10-year-girl when they encounter Shimoda.
Part 2: Describe what happens with the man in the wheelchair when he encounters Shimoda.
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone notice these miracles as being miracles?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a Messiah being able to quit is a unique idea in the eyes of most readers.
Part 1: How is the term Messiah defined in this story?
Part 2: Why does Shimoda want to quit his position as a Messiah?
Part 3: How does Shimoda end up quitting his role as the Master or Messiah?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of 'like attracting like' is another idea that continues to emerge and to develop as the story unfolds.
Part 1: Explain the idea of 'like attracts like.'
Part 2: What is the first example of like attracting like in this story?
Part 3: Cite at least two other ways in which 'like attracts like' in this story.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)