|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda admits to letting the crowd at Troy get to him because he admits to being a _________.
2. How many points is the landing that Shimoda makes, impressing Richard?
3. Shimoda cannot recall this passage about being a Messiah involving _________.
4. What does Richard call the movement of the time period in which people are turning from the material to the spiritual?
5. What kind of biplane does Richard own and use in his gypsy flying business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Donald Shimoda.
2. How does Shimoda respond when the talk show host infers the idea that gypsy piloting is illegal?
3. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
4. What does Shimoda claim to Richard when they first meet?
5. What does Richard do in order to stop himself from thinking?
6. What is the question Richard then formulates when he begins to do the thing which is the answer to #33?
7. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
8. What does Richard have to say about life when eating dinner with Shimoda in Hammond, Wisconsin?
9. What do gypsy fliers need in order to fly their planes and to land them in the fields?
10. What does the woman caller say about the idea of "doing what you want?"
Essay Topic 1
The theme of flying is symbolic in a number of ways in this story. The planes which fly are gypsy planes, unchecked and possibly illegal.
Part 1: Describe the idea of gypsy flying. What does it entail?
Part 2: How does the idea of flying relate to the idea of being a Messiah?
Part 3: What does flying symbolize to Richard during the story?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda's quitting his role as the Mechanic Messiah or the American Avatar is one that continues to show readers a new side of being all knowing and all powerful.
Part 1: Why has Shimoda decided to come back to everyday life as a pilot after being the Master?
Part 2: What are some of the problems with coming back to everyday life after having been a Messiah?
Part 3: What is Shimoda's opinion of Jesus and his role as a Messiah? What does he think about the idea of Jesus quitting his job?
Essay Topic 3
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
This section contains 1,871 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)