|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda says he knows past, present, and future, but he has no ___________.
2. How many soul lives is the Messiah supposed to live during his work on the planet?
3. The covering of this Master training manual is made of ____________.
4. When the creature wants to let go of the river, others tell him that he will be killed faster by letting go than by __________.
5. Shimoda tells Richard he once ___________ in front of 25,000 eyewitnesses, which is why he's always on the move.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shimoda claim to Richard when they first meet?
2. What does Shimoda tell people they are in control of, though always in the parable format?
3. Why hasn't returning to normal life been easy for Shimoda?
4. What does Shimoda assure Richard about the training to be a Messiah?
5. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to vaporize clouds?
6. What does Richard have to say about life when eating dinner with Shimoda in Hammond, Wisconsin?
7. What does Shimoda say to Richard's question about the pages in the book not being numbered?
8. What does Richard answer when Shimoda asks him why he is at the movie?
9. Why is Shimoda suddenly furious with Richard about his question about the landing?
10. What is the non-miracle that Shimoda wants Richard to see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although he used to be a Messiah, Shimoda seems to have troubles controlling his patience. This seems to be in conflict with what he can do for Richard.
Part 1: Describe one instance in which Shimoda becomes impatient with Richard.
Part 2: What might be the reason for Shimoda becoming so impatient with Richard?
Part 3: How does Shimoda's impatience help Richard's progress? How does it hurt Richard's progress?
Essay Topic 2
The title of this story seems to be referenced at a number of points, but it doesn't always get fully explained to the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the title of the book, Illusions?
Part 2: What are some of the illusions pointed out in this story?
Part 3: What is the importance of learning that the world is filled with illusions?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of flying is symbolic in a number of ways in this story. The planes which fly are gypsy planes, unchecked and possibly illegal.
Part 1: Describe the idea of gypsy flying. What does it entail?
Part 2: How does the idea of flying relate to the idea of being a Messiah?
Part 3: What does flying symbolize to Richard during the story?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)