|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shimoda asks Richard if giving three dollar _____ will teach him what he wants to know.
2. What kind of plane makes Richard land his plane in order to get a better look?
3. What is the longer title for the book that Shimoda gives to Richard when he asks about how to train to become a Master? Messiah's Manual & Reminders for the _____________.
4. How long does Shimoda say that Richard has to practice in order to know the answers?
5. What does Shimoda think people only want from him or from other Masters and Messiahs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shimoda give to Richard when Richard asks how Shimoda can know so much and how he can learn about being a Messiah?
2. When Richard cannot vaporize clouds, what does he realize about the process?
3. What leaves Richard dumbfounded after he tries to impress Shimoda with a show-off landing?
4. What is the passage Shimoda shares with Richard after the situation that occurs in #19?
5. What does Richard do in order to readjust to the loneliness of not having Shimoda around?
6. What does Richard answer when Shimoda asks him why he is at the movie?
7. What cares nothing about human illusions and games?
8. What did Donald W. Shimoda retire from being, according to the beginning of the story?
9. What do gypsy fliers need in order to fly their planes and to land them in the fields?
10. What does Shimoda tell Richard to do in order to vaporize clouds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimoda's plane is a unique one, one that Richard can not help but admire and desire.
Part 1: What kind of plane does Shimoda have?
Part 2: What is so special about Shimoda's plane?
Part 3: Why doesn't anyone besides Richard notice that Shimoda's plane is special?
Essay Topic 2
Shimoda tries to test Richard's thinking to see how far along he has advanced in his training to become a Master.
Part 1: What is the question Richard is asked when Shimoda tests him in Chapter 15?
Part 2: What is the long-winded response that Richard gives in response to Shimoda's question?
Part 3: What is the more condensed answer Richard gives?
Essay Topic 3
Richard does have troubles with the idea of walking through walls, even though he has done a number of other things that have proven to him that it can be possible.
Part 1: What are some of the ways in which Richard has begun to break down his ideas of what is real and what is illusion?
Part 2: Why can't Richard make the jump from what he has done to walking through walls?
Part 3: Why doesn't Shimoda just give Richard an answer as to how to walk through walls?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)