|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poseidon appears to whom in order to inspire him to lead his men onto the battlefield, but stay out of range of arrows so as not to be wounded further?
2. Who wins the armor of Achilles?
3. Who does Poseidon appear to?
4. Who tells the gods about Zeus' plan?
5. How many events are there in the funeral games?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
2. What is Agamemnon's state of mind in Book 14, and what is his suggestion?
3. What does Hector tell Achilles with his last words?
4. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
5. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
6. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
7. What are the gods doing in Book 21 while the mortals are fighting a battle?
8. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
9. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
10. What god does Achilles make angry in Book 21, and what does the god do in retaliation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the story, what was the cause of the war, and what actions of men and gods caused it to go on so long? Please support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role that friendship plays in the Iliad? Which two people best demonstrate this role of friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Which event in the books is the climax, or main turning point, in the book? Please explain your thoughts.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)