|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Apollo disguise himself as in order to delay Achilles from fighting Hector?
2. What are Patroclus' horses doing after Patroclus dies while there is a fight over his body?
3. Why does Poseidon interfere again?
4. Who is the first Trojan to see Achilles approach the city gates?
5. How many events are there in the funeral games?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
2. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
3. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
4. After Patroclus' death, why is Achilles feeling guilty?
5. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
6. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
7. What are the gods doing in Book 21 while the mortals are fighting a battle?
8. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
9. After Patroclus' death, what does Zeus do when he sees Patroclus' horses mourning?
10. What causes Achilles' new understanding of suffering in Book 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which event in the books is the climax, or main turning point, in the book? Please explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a side, either the Trojans or the Greeks, and state whether they were "good" or "evil" in the war. Support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The mortals in The Iliad appear to be at the mercy of the gods. Please discuss if this is true, why or why not, using specific examples from the text.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)