|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the fire god?
2. What does Apollo forbid Hector to do when fighting Achilles after Patroclus has died?
3. During the fighting that occurs after the Greeks are driven to their ships by the Trojans, what inspires Menelaus to fight valiantly?
4. Who alerts the Trojans to King Priam's return?
5. Hera injures what god?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 15, while the gods are being informed of Zeus' plan, what are the Trojans and the Greeks doing?
2. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
3. How is Patroclus killed?
4. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
5. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
6. What causes Achilles' new understanding of suffering in Book 24?
7. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
8. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
9. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
10. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you identify as the main character in The Iliad? Why? Support your answer with at least five examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
Essay Topic 3
How does Achilles change in character from the beginning of Book 1 to the end of Book 24. Please provide specific examples of changes.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)