|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Achilles' mother is the daughter of which god?
2. After Patroclus is sent to the fighting by Achilles, Achilles asks what of Zeus?
3. Who is sent to King Priam to tell him that he can ransom his son's body?
4. Who saves Hector from being killed?
5. What does Achilles' mother ask him to wait for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What god does Achilles make angry in Book 21, and what does the god do in retaliation?
2. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
3. Why does Zeus allow the gods back into the battle?
4. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
5. What activities follow the burial of Patroclus?
6. After Patroclus' death, what does Zeus do when he sees Patroclus' horses mourning?
7. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
8. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
9. What does Hector tell Achilles with his last words?
10. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you identify as the main character in The Iliad? Why? Support your answer with at least five examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss whether you think the following gods were good or evil: Zeus, Hera, Apollo, and Athena. Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The mortals in The Iliad appear to be at the mercy of the gods. Please discuss if this is true, why or why not, using specific examples from the text.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)