|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patroclus leaves Eurypylos to go to whom?
2. Who was sent to the plain to guide King Priam safely through the Greek army?
3. What weapon does Ajax carry?
4. Why does Zeus take his eyes off the battlefield after the Trojans have driven the Greeks to their ships?
5. After Agamemnon offers gifts in repentance to Achilles, where does Achilles tell Agamemnon their attention should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
2. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
3. How is Patroclus killed?
4. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
5. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
6. After Patroclus' death, why is Achilles feeling guilty?
7. What is Agamemnon's state of mind in Book 14, and what is his suggestion?
8. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
9. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
10. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a contrast in the Iliad between war and peace, suffering and understanding. What are some of the symbols, events and characters in The Iliad which show this contrast?
Essay Topic 2
From the story, what was the cause of the war, and what actions of men and gods caused it to go on so long? Please support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)