|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goddess gives the horses a voice?
2. After being advised by Poulydamas to concentrate his forces for more strength, Hector is challenged by which Greek man?
3. What does Athena do to Achilles?
4. Who does Zeus send to Achilles with ambrosia?
5. How many men does Achilles decide to kill to avenge Patroclus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zeus allow the gods back into the battle?
2. What activities follow the burial of Patroclus?
3. What causes Achilles' new understanding of suffering in Book 24?
4. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
5. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
6. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
7. What are the gods doing in Book 21 while the mortals are fighting a battle?
8. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
9. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
10. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has pride, as the characters in The Iliad have used it, caused tragedies to befall the Greeks and the Trojans? Pick at least two times in the story when a prideful action by a character has caused tragedy, and explain how pride has caused the tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of dreams and prophecies in The Iliad? Please use at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)