|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gates of Troy will Paris and Apollo be waiting for Achilles at, according to Hector?
2. Why does Zeus take his eyes off the battlefield after the Trojans have driven the Greeks to their ships?
3. What goddess gives the horses a voice?
4. What does Hermes do in the night to King Priam while he is in the Greek camp to ransom Hector's body?
5. Who reminds Achilles that his fate is to die under the Trojan walls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
2. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
3. Why does Zeus let his attention drift from the battlefield?
4. After Patroclus' death, why is Achilles feeling guilty?
5. After Patroclus' death, what does Zeus do when he sees Patroclus' horses mourning?
6. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
7. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
8. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
9. In Book 15, while the gods are being informed of Zeus' plan, what are the Trojans and the Greeks doing?
10. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Achilles change in character from the beginning of Book 1 to the end of Book 24. Please provide specific examples of changes.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
Essay Topic 3
In The Iliad, the gods made choices on behalf of the Trojans and the Greeks. How did the fight among the mortals mirror the conflicts of the gods? Please use at least three specific examples from the text.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)