|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first Trojan to see Achilles approach the city gates?
2. Who wins the spear throwing event in the Funeral Games?
3. Who delivers the news of Patroclus' death to Achilles?
4. What goddess gives the horses a voice?
5. Who alerts the Trojans to King Priam's return?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
2. Why does Zeus let his attention drift from the battlefield?
3. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
4. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
5. What does Hector tell Achilles with his last words?
6. Why does Zeus allow the gods back into the battle?
7. How is Patroclus killed?
8. What god does Achilles make angry in Book 21, and what does the god do in retaliation?
9. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
10. What activities follow the burial of Patroclus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 2
How has pride, as the characters in The Iliad have used it, caused tragedies to befall the Greeks and the Trojans? Pick at least two times in the story when a prideful action by a character has caused tragedy, and explain how pride has caused the tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)