|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Patroclus' horses doing after Patroclus dies while there is a fight over his body?
2. How long does Achilles hold the Greek army back so Priam can bury Hector?
3. After Apollo intervenes, who confronts Achilles first?
4. Who is the fire god?
5. What does Athena do to Achilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the gods doing in Book 21 while the mortals are fighting a battle?
2. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
3. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
4. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
5. After Patroclus' death, why is Achilles feeling guilty?
6. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
7. What is Agamemnon's state of mind in Book 14, and what is his suggestion?
8. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
9. What is the difference between the actions of the gods who support the Greeks and the gods who support the Trojans in Book 20?
10. What god does Achilles make angry in Book 21, and what does the god do in retaliation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 2
There are many points during the story that the war between the Trojans and the Greeks comes to a halt, or has almost ended. Please pick two times during the story that this is true, and write about what has stopped the war from ending. Make sure to support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in The Iliad are ruled by their emotions. Please pick a character and give three specific examples of when that character was ruled by their emotions, whether it led them to a good or bad result, and why. Make sure to use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)