|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Achilles' mother is the daughter of which god?
2. Who must breathe strength into Hector?
3. Who's withdrawal weakens the Trojan army?
4. Who alerts the Trojans to King Priam's return?
5. What does Achilles keep from Patroclus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Patroclus killed?
2. Why does Zeus allow the gods back into the battle?
3. What are the gods doing in Book 21 while the mortals are fighting a battle?
4. In Book 15, while the gods are being informed of Zeus' plan, what are the Trojans and the Greeks doing?
5. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
6. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
7. What does Hector tell Achilles with his last words?
8. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
9. What is the difference between the actions of the gods who support the Greeks and the gods who support the Trojans in Book 20?
10. Why does Zeus let his attention drift from the battlefield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 2
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of The Iliad, Homer tells us that the story is about the anger of Achilles. What is one part of the story that do not involve Achilles, but is a result of his anger? Why is this part important if the story is about the anger of Achilles?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)