|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gates of Troy will Paris and Apollo be waiting for Achilles at, according to Hector?
2. Who saves Hector from being killed?
3. Apollo grants what protection to Hector's corpse?
4. What does Achilles tell his mother he is going to do in response to Patroclus' death?
5. Patroclus leaves Eurypylos to go to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
2. What activities follow the burial of Patroclus?
3. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
4. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
5. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
6. What is Agamemnon's state of mind in Book 14, and what is his suggestion?
7. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
8. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
9. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
10. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
Essay Topic 2
The gods play an important role in The Iliad. What is the one thing that the gods do which most influences the story, and why is it the most influential action of the gods?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you identify as the main character in The Iliad? Why? Support your answer with at least five examples from the book.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)