|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who must breathe strength into Hector?
2. Hera injures what god?
3. Who comes to grieve Patroclus' death with Achilles?
4. Who is the first Trojan to see Achilles approach the city gates?
5. What does Hermes do in the night to King Priam while he is in the Greek camp to ransom Hector's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
2. What is the difference between the actions of the gods who support the Greeks and the gods who support the Trojans in Book 20?
3. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
4. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
5. What activities follow the burial of Patroclus?
6. Why does Zeus let his attention drift from the battlefield?
7. After Patroclus' death, what does Zeus do when he sees Patroclus' horses mourning?
8. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
9. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
10. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of The Iliad, Homer tells us that the story is about the anger of Achilles. What is one part of the story that do not involve Achilles, but is a result of his anger? Why is this part important if the story is about the anger of Achilles?
Essay Topic 2
There is a contrast in the Iliad between war and peace, suffering and understanding. What are some of the symbols, events and characters in The Iliad which show this contrast?
Essay Topic 3
Please discuss whether you think the following gods were good or evil: Zeus, Hera, Apollo, and Athena. Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)