|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Agamemnon offers gifts in repentance to Achilles, where does Achilles tell Agamemnon their attention should be?
2. What weapon does Ajax carry?
3. Who alerts the Trojans to King Priam's return?
4. What are Patroclus' horses doing after Patroclus dies while there is a fight over his body?
5. Why does Poseidon interfere again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hector tell Achilles with his last words?
2. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
3. Why does Zeus let his attention drift from the battlefield?
4. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
5. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
6. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
7. After Patroclus' death, why is Achilles feeling guilty?
8. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
9. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
10. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in The Iliad are ruled by their emotions. Please pick a character and give three specific examples of when that character was ruled by their emotions, whether it led them to a good or bad result, and why. Make sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In The Iliad, the gods made choices on behalf of the Trojans and the Greeks. How did the fight among the mortals mirror the conflicts of the gods? Please use at least three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There are many points during the story that the war between the Trojans and the Greeks comes to a halt, or has almost ended. Please pick two times during the story that this is true, and write about what has stopped the war from ending. Make sure to support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)