|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apollo takes what form on the battlefield?
2. Apollo reminds Patroclus of what?
3. What does Hermes do in the night to King Priam while he is in the Greek camp to ransom Hector's body?
4. What does Achilles keep from Patroclus?
5. What are Patroclus' horses doing after Patroclus dies while there is a fight over his body?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
2. What causes Achilles' new understanding of suffering in Book 24?
3. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
4. After Patroclus' death, why is Achilles feeling guilty?
5. Why does Zeus let his attention drift from the battlefield?
6. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
7. How is Patroclus killed?
8. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
9. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
10. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of dreams and prophecies in The Iliad? Please use at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Which event in the books is the climax, or main turning point, in the book? Please explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)