|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermes do in the night to King Priam while he is in the Greek camp to ransom Hector's body?
2. Who does Poseidon appear to?
3. Apollo takes what form on the battlefield?
4. Who reminds Achilles that his fate is to die under the Trojan walls?
5. Who is sent as a messenger to tell Achilles the gods are angry with him for the continued humiliation of Hector's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities follow the burial of Patroclus?
2. Why does Zeus allow the gods back into the battle?
3. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
4. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
5. What does Hector tell Achilles with his last words?
6. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
7. What is the difference between the actions of the gods who support the Greeks and the gods who support the Trojans in Book 20?
8. What is Agamemnon's state of mind in Book 14, and what is his suggestion?
9. How is Patroclus killed?
10. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
Essay Topic 2
The symbols in The Iliad are numerous. Pick a symbol and discuss its importance to the characters in the book.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)