|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides the violence should end?
2. Who opposes the speech which encourages the Greeks to fight after Agamemnon tells them to go home?
3. Which goddess hates Troy?
4. What does Zeus send as a sign that he has heard Agamemnon when Hector is on the verge of burning the Greek ships?
5. Who is urging Paris to return to the battlefield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hera and Athena promise Zeus, when Zeus notices their preparations for intervention in the war?
2. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
3. Is Paris a weak character? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
4. Who is the first god to disobey Zeus and what does that god do?
5. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
6. In Book 6, what is an example of the mercilessness of the Greeks?
7. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
8. What is Athena's warning to Diomedes in Book 5?
9. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
10. Dione gives some advice to Aphrodite in Book 5. What is that advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods play an important role in The Iliad. What is the one thing that the gods do which most influences the story, and why is it the most influential action of the gods?
Essay Topic 2
The symbols in The Iliad are numerous. Pick a symbol and discuss its importance to the characters in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)