Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus send as a sign that he has heard Agamemnon when Hector is on the verge of burning the Greek ships?
2. What does Diomedes say to his companions?
3. Which goddess hates Troy?
4. Who does King Priam blame for the war?
5. Who intervenes to prevent the soldiers from deserting Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
2. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
3. After the Trojans retreat to the city, why does Hector ask for sacrifices to the gods?
4. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
5. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
6. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
7. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
8. How is Patroclus killed?
9. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
10. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
Essay Topic 1
How has pride, as the characters in The Iliad have used it, caused tragedies to befall the Greeks and the Trojans? Pick at least two times in the story when a prideful action by a character has caused tragedy, and explain how pride has caused the tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
Essay Topic 3
There is a contrast in the Iliad between war and peace, suffering and understanding. What are some of the symbols, events and characters in The Iliad which show this contrast?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)