Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus send as a sign that he has heard Agamemnon when Hector is on the verge of burning the Greek ships?
2. What does Diomedes say to his companions?
3. Which goddess hates Troy?
4. Who does King Priam blame for the war?
5. Who intervenes to prevent the soldiers from deserting Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
2. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
3. After the Trojans retreat to the city, why does Hector ask for sacrifices to the gods?
4. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
5. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
6. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
7. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
8. How is Patroclus killed?
9. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
10. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
In The Iliad, the gods made choices on behalf of the Trojans and the Greeks. How did the fight among the mortals mirror the conflicts of the gods? Please use at least three specific examples from the text.
The mortals in The Iliad appear to be at the mercy of the gods. Please discuss if this is true, why or why not, using specific examples from the text.
There is a contrast in the Iliad between war and peace, suffering and understanding. What are some of the symbols, events and characters in The Iliad which show this contrast?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)