|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Greek man's death is foretold by Zeus to Hera?
2. What emotion causes Agamemnon to have a change of heart towards Achilles?
3. Nestor reminds the men that they have not accomplished what goal?
4. Where did Hector's wife go to see if she can find him?
5. What prevents Diomedes from killing Glaukos?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 2, what do the Greek forces do to get help from the gods?
2. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
3. How do Diomedes and Glaukos end up friends?
4. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
5. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
6. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
7. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
8. In Book 6, what is an example of the mercilessness of the Greeks?
9. What kind of goddess is Aphrodite? Please support your answer with examples.
10. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 2
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role that friendship plays in the Iliad? Which two people best demonstrate this role of friendship?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)