|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Helen sit next to when watching Paris taking part in the duel on the battlefield?
2. What is the response of the god to Hera's request for him to help the Greeks?
3. What god or goddess helps the Trojans in Book 4?
4. Agamemnon's offer to Achilles is meant to do what?
5. What does Zeus forbid the other gods to do after he tells them his plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paris' selfishness manifest itself in Book 7?
2. Who does Nestor blame for the Greek's current state of affairs, and what is his suggestion?
3. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
4. After the Trojans retreat to the city, why does Hector ask for sacrifices to the gods?
5. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
6. How do Diomedes and Glaukos end up friends?
7. What do Hera and Athena promise Zeus, when Zeus notices their preparations for intervention in the war?
8. What kind of goddess is Aphrodite? Please support your answer with examples.
9. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
10. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has pride, as the characters in The Iliad have used it, caused tragedies to befall the Greeks and the Trojans? Pick at least two times in the story when a prideful action by a character has caused tragedy, and explain how pride has caused the tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Achilles change in character from the beginning of Book 1 to the end of Book 24. Please provide specific examples of changes.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of dreams and prophecies in The Iliad? Please use at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)