|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patroclus do for the wound of Eurypylos?
2. Who does Helen sit next to when watching Paris taking part in the duel on the battlefield?
3. The book opens during what year of the Trojan War?
4. After Zeus sends the goddess of Hate down to the Greeks, what does he send Iris to tell Hector?
5. Why does Hector chastise Paris when he finds Paris with the troops and not preparing to meet his challenger from the Greek army?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
2. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
3. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
4. Why does Zeus want in return for Hera's interfering in the war?
5. How does Paris' selfishness manifest itself in Book 7?
6. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
7. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
8. In Book 7, who decides the fighting should end and how do they plan that end?
9. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
10. What is the interpretation of the eagle and the snake that Hector does not like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of The Iliad, Homer tells us that the story is about the anger of Achilles. What is one part of the story that do not involve Achilles, but is a result of his anger? Why is this part important if the story is about the anger of Achilles?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role that friendship plays in the Iliad? Which two people best demonstrate this role of friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)