|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hector chastise Paris when he finds Paris with the troops and not preparing to meet his challenger from the Greek army?
2. What prevents Diomedes from killing Glaukos?
3. Who goes and spies on the Greek camp?
4. Who is urging Paris to return to the battlefield?
5. What is the eagle carrying when it appears as a sign as the Trojans are trying to cross the ditch on foot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
2. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
3. What do Hera and Athena promise Zeus, when Zeus notices their preparations for intervention in the war?
4. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
5. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
6. Is Paris a weak character? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
7. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
8. What is Thersites speaking about in Book 2?
9. Dione gives some advice to Aphrodite in Book 5. What is that advice?
10. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbols in The Iliad are numerous. Pick a symbol and discuss its importance to the characters in the book.
Essay Topic 2
In The Iliad, the gods made choices on behalf of the Trojans and the Greeks. How did the fight among the mortals mirror the conflicts of the gods? Please use at least three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a side, either the Trojans or the Greeks, and state whether they were "good" or "evil" in the war. Support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)