|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the mortal man responsible for the plague against the army?
2. What god or goddess helps the Greeks in Book 4?
3. Who does Zeus send down to the Greeks to stir up the battle?
4. Where is the eagle injured?
5. What is Helen weaving when she is visited by a divine messenger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
2. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
3. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
4. What is the interpretation of the eagle and the snake that Hector does not like?
5. What kind of goddess is Aphrodite? Please support your answer with examples.
6. What is Athena's warning to Diomedes in Book 5?
7. What is Thersites speaking about in Book 2?
8. In Book 6, what is an example of the mercilessness of the Greeks?
9. After the Trojans retreat to the city, why does Hector ask for sacrifices to the gods?
10. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbols in The Iliad are numerous. Pick a symbol and discuss its importance to the characters in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a side, either the Trojans or the Greeks, and state whether they were "good" or "evil" in the war. Support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Please discuss whether you think the following gods were good or evil: Zeus, Hera, Apollo, and Athena. Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)