|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus send as a sign that he has heard Agamemnon when Hector is on the verge of burning the Greek ships?
2. What does Diomedes say to his companions?
3. Which goddess hates Troy?
4. Who does King Priam blame for the war?
5. Who intervenes to prevent the soldiers from deserting Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
2. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
3. After the Trojans retreat to the city, why does Hector ask for sacrifices to the gods?
4. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
5. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
6. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
7. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
8. How is Patroclus killed?
9. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
10. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
Essay Topic 1
The mortals in The Iliad appear to be at the mercy of the gods. Please discuss if this is true, why or why not, using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
Essay Topic 3
There are many points during the story that the war between the Trojans and the Greeks comes to a halt, or has almost ended. Please pick two times during the story that this is true, and write about what has stopped the war from ending. Make sure to support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)