|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of the god to Hera's request for him to help the Greeks?
2. What warning does Athena give Diomedes after she lifts the veil from his eyes?
3. What does Pandaros do to Menelaus in order to break the truce between the Greeks and the Trojans?
4. What does Patroclus do for the wound of Eurypylos?
5. Who is Ares?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Hector and his wife different from Helen and Paris?
2. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
3. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
4. What is the interpretation of the eagle and the snake that Hector does not like?
5. What is Thersites speaking about in Book 2?
6. After Achilles tells his sorrows to his mother, what does his mother do?
7. What are Achilles' two possible destinies according to his mother?
8. Dione gives some advice to Aphrodite in Book 5. What is that advice?
9. What do Odysseus and Diomedes do with the information they gain from the Trojan spy?
10. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has pride, as the characters in The Iliad have used it, caused tragedies to befall the Greeks and the Trojans? Pick at least two times in the story when a prideful action by a character has caused tragedy, and explain how pride has caused the tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The gods play an important role in The Iliad. What is the one thing that the gods do which most influences the story, and why is it the most influential action of the gods?
Essay Topic 3
In The Iliad, the gods made choices on behalf of the Trojans and the Greeks. How did the fight among the mortals mirror the conflicts of the gods? Please use at least three specific examples from the text.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)