|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the eagle carrying when it appears as a sign as the Trojans are trying to cross the ditch on foot?
2. Who does Helen sit next to when watching Paris taking part in the duel on the battlefield?
3. Why does Aphrodite flee the battle after she interferes to save her son, Aeneas?
4. The book opens during what year of the Trojan War?
5. Where did Hector's wife go to see if she can find him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zeus want in return for Hera's interfering in the war?
2. What do Odysseus and Diomedes do with the information they gain from the Trojan spy?
3. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
4. In Book 2, was Zeus' plan for Agamemnon successful?
5. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
6. In Book 6, what is an example of the mercilessness of the Greeks?
7. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
8. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
9. Who does Nestor blame for the Greek's current state of affairs, and what is his suggestion?
10. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in The Iliad are ruled by their emotions. Please pick a character and give three specific examples of when that character was ruled by their emotions, whether it led them to a good or bad result, and why. Make sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How has pride, as the characters in The Iliad have used it, caused tragedies to befall the Greeks and the Trojans? Pick at least two times in the story when a prideful action by a character has caused tragedy, and explain how pride has caused the tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The gods play an important role in The Iliad. What is the one thing that the gods do which most influences the story, and why is it the most influential action of the gods?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)