|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris promise to Hector when Hector finds him after the Trojans retreat to the city?
2. Which god or goddess do the Greek spies make an offering to after returning safely to the Greek camp?
3. What prevents Diomedes from killing Glaukos?
4. What warning does Athena give Diomedes after she lifts the veil from his eyes?
5. Why does Aphrodite flee the battle after she interferes to save her son, Aeneas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
2. Why does Zeus want in return for Hera's interfering in the war?
3. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
4. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
5. What are Achilles' two possible destinies according to his mother?
6. How does Paris' selfishness manifest itself in Book 7?
7. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
8. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
9. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
10. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
Essay Topic 2
How has pride, as the characters in The Iliad have used it, caused tragedies to befall the Greeks and the Trojans? Pick at least two times in the story when a prideful action by a character has caused tragedy, and explain how pride has caused the tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Which event in the books is the climax, or main turning point, in the book? Please explain your thoughts.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)