|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hector chastise Paris when he finds Paris with the troops and not preparing to meet his challenger from the Greek army?
2. What are Zeus, Hera, and Athena arguing about on Mount Olympus after the divine intervention in Paris' duel?
3. Nestor reminds the men that they have not accomplished what goal?
4. Where do the Greeks retreat to?
5. Who does Thetis appeal to in order to regain honor to Achilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Paris a weak character? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
2. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
3. What is the interpretation of the eagle and the snake that Hector does not like?
4. How do Diomedes and Glaukos end up friends?
5. How does Paris' selfishness manifest itself in Book 7?
6. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
7. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
8. What are Achilles' two possible destinies according to his mother?
9. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
10. Why does Zeus want in return for Hera's interfering in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please discuss whether you think the following gods were good or evil: Zeus, Hera, Apollo, and Athena. Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a side, either the Trojans or the Greeks, and state whether they were "good" or "evil" in the war. Support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of dreams and prophecies in The Iliad? Please use at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)