Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus send as a sign that he has heard Agamemnon when Hector is on the verge of burning the Greek ships?
2. What does Diomedes say to his companions?
3. Which goddess hates Troy?
4. Who does King Priam blame for the war?
5. Who intervenes to prevent the soldiers from deserting Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
2. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
3. After the Trojans retreat to the city, why does Hector ask for sacrifices to the gods?
4. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
5. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
6. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
7. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
8. How is Patroclus killed?
9. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
10. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in The Iliad are ruled by their emotions. Please pick a character and give three specific examples of when that character was ruled by their emotions, whether it led them to a good or bad result, and why. Make sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a side, either the Trojans or the Greeks, and state whether they were "good" or "evil" in the war. Support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The gods play an important role in The Iliad. What is the one thing that the gods do which most influences the story, and why is it the most influential action of the gods?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)