|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Greek man's death is foretold by Zeus to Hera?
2. When do the Trojans finally break through the wall?
3. Which god or goddess protects Paris during the challenge that he issued to the Greeks on the battlefield?
4. What does lifting the veil from Diomedes' eyes allow him to do?
5. Who demands that the Trojans concede victory to the Greeks and return Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the interpretation of the eagle and the snake that Hector does not like?
2. How does Paris' selfishness manifest itself in Book 7?
3. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
4. Why does Zeus want in return for Hera's interfering in the war?
5. Is Paris a weak character? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
6. Who is the first god to disobey Zeus and what does that god do?
7. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
8. Dione gives some advice to Aphrodite in Book 5. What is that advice?
9. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
10. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods play an important role in The Iliad. What is the one thing that the gods do which most influences the story, and why is it the most influential action of the gods?
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss whether you think the following gods were good or evil: Zeus, Hera, Apollo, and Athena. Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There are many points during the story that the war between the Trojans and the Greeks comes to a halt, or has almost ended. Please pick two times during the story that this is true, and write about what has stopped the war from ending. Make sure to support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)