|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Pandaros' actions cause more fighting, what are the Greeks and Trojans close to doing?
2. After Agamemnon is stunned by Achilles' response to his offer, what does Diomedes says Achilles will do?
3. Where does Hector find Paris after the Trojans are forced to retreat?
4. What does Hector do when the Trojans are forced to retreat?
5. Which god or goddess do the Greek spies make an offering to after returning safely to the Greek camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Diomedes and Glaukos end up friends?
2. What are the origins of Achilles' anger?
3. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
4. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
5. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
6. In Book 7, who decides the fighting should end and how do they plan that end?
7. What is Athena's warning to Diomedes in Book 5?
8. In Book 3, what is one emotion that Helen might be feeling, and why?
9. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
10. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role that friendship plays in the Iliad? Which two people best demonstrate this role of friendship?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of dreams and prophecies in The Iliad? Please use at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in The Iliad are ruled by their emotions. Please pick a character and give three specific examples of when that character was ruled by their emotions, whether it led them to a good or bad result, and why. Make sure to use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)