|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Achilles' possible destinies?
2. What objects are sacrificed before the duel in Book 3 between Paris and his competition?
3. Which Greek man's death is foretold by Zeus to Hera?
4. What god or goddess helps the Trojans in Book 4?
5. Before Pandaros' actions cause more fighting, what are the Greeks and Trojans close to doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Diomedes and Glaukos end up friends?
2. What do Odysseus and Diomedes do with the information they gain from the Trojan spy?
3. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
4. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
5. What is Athena's warning to Diomedes in Book 5?
6. Who is the first god to disobey Zeus and what does that god do?
7. In Book 2, what do the Greek forces do to get help from the gods?
8. Is Paris a weak character? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
9. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
10. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbols in The Iliad are numerous. Pick a symbol and discuss its importance to the characters in the book.
Essay Topic 2
From the story, what was the cause of the war, and what actions of men and gods caused it to go on so long? Please support your answer with at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There are many points during the story that the war between the Trojans and the Greeks comes to a halt, or has almost ended. Please pick two times during the story that this is true, and write about what has stopped the war from ending. Make sure to support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)