|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Adrestos?
2. What does Zeus forbid the other gods to do after he tells them his plan?
3. What god or goddess helps the Greeks in Book 4?
4. The book opens during what year of the Trojan War?
5. What about Helen angers Aphrodite in Book 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zeus want in return for Hera's interfering in the war?
2. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
3. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
4. What kind of goddess is Aphrodite? Please support your answer with examples.
5. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
6. What do Hera and Athena promise Zeus, when Zeus notices their preparations for intervention in the war?
7. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
8. Dione gives some advice to Aphrodite in Book 5. What is that advice?
9. What is Athena's warning to Diomedes in Book 5?
10. After the Trojans retreat to the city, why does Hector ask for sacrifices to the gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a contrast in the Iliad between war and peace, suffering and understanding. What are some of the symbols, events and characters in The Iliad which show this contrast?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 3
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)