|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Zeus let Athena give to the Greeks after she promises not to interfere?
2. Who does Zeus send down to the Greeks to stir up the battle?
3. Who helps Diomedes when he is injured by Pandaros?
4. Agamemnon's offer to Achilles is meant to do what?
5. Who is Zeus' wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
2. After Achilles tells his sorrows to his mother, what does his mother do?
3. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
4. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
5. Who is the first god to disobey Zeus and what does that god do?
6. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
7. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
8. What is Thersites speaking about in Book 2?
9. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
10. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which event in the books is the climax, or main turning point, in the book? Please explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role that friendship plays in the Iliad? Which two people best demonstrate this role of friendship?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of dreams and prophecies in The Iliad? Please use at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)