|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides the violence should end?
2. Where does Achilles watch the battle from?
3. Who prophesies that the Greeks will win the war against the Trojans in ten years?
4. What prevents Diomedes from killing Glaukos?
5. Where do the Greeks retreat to?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
2. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
3. In Book 6, what is an example of the mercilessness of the Greeks?
4. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
5. Dione gives some advice to Aphrodite in Book 5. What is that advice?
6. What do Hera and Athena promise Zeus, when Zeus notices their preparations for intervention in the war?
7. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
8. What are Achilles' two possible destinies according to his mother?
9. Is Paris a weak character? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
10. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of dreams and prophecies in The Iliad? Please use at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you identify as the main character in The Iliad? Why? Support your answer with at least five examples from the book.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)