|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zeus send down to the Greeks to stir up the battle?
2. What promise does Zeus get from Hera?
3. Who does Thetis appeal to in order to regain honor to Achilles?
4. Where is the eagle injured?
5. Where does Hector find Paris after the Trojans are forced to retreat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
2. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
3. Who is the first god to disobey Zeus and what does that god do?
4. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
5. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
6. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
7. What kind of goddess is Aphrodite? Please support your answer with examples.
8. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
9. What do Odysseus and Diomedes do with the information they gain from the Trojan spy?
10. Why does Zeus want in return for Hera's interfering in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss whether you think the following gods were good or evil: Zeus, Hera, Apollo, and Athena. Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of The Iliad, Homer tells us that the story is about the anger of Achilles. What is one part of the story that do not involve Achilles, but is a result of his anger? Why is this part important if the story is about the anger of Achilles?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)