|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the mortals end up fighting without the gods?
2. When do the Trojans finally break through the wall?
3. What is Diomedes allowed to do to Aphrodite if necessary?
4. What objects are sacrificed before the duel in Book 3 between Paris and his competition?
5. Why is Zeus awake at night in the beginning of Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hector shame Paris into fighting the duel?
2. How do Diomedes and Glaukos end up friends?
3. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
4. Is Paris a weak character? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
5. In Book 7, who decides the fighting should end and how do they plan that end?
6. In Book 2, what do the Greek forces do to get help from the gods?
7. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
8. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
9. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
10. In the beginning of Book 10, what happens when the Trojan and Greek spies meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 2
There is a contrast in the Iliad between war and peace, suffering and understanding. What are some of the symbols, events and characters in The Iliad which show this contrast?
Essay Topic 3
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)