|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Eurypylos been wounded
2. Who does Achilles send to get information on the war?
3. Who is Achilles' mother?
4. Who is Ares?
5. Who kills Adrestos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Achilles' two possible destinies according to his mother?
2. In Book 11, what happens while Achilles watches the battle from his ship?
3. On his way back to the ships, what demonstrates that Patroclus has a kind heart?
4. At the end of Book 5, the gods withdraw from the fight. Why?
5. What kind of goddess is Aphrodite? Please support your answer with examples.
6. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
7. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
8. In Book 2, what do the Greek forces do to get help from the gods?
9. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
10. What is Athena's warning to Diomedes in Book 5?
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the tests that characters have issued to other characters in The Iliad? What was the point of these tests? By providing these contrasts, does Homer think that human nature can change, or that it stays the same?
Essay Topic 2
How does Achilles change in character from the beginning of Book 1 to the end of Book 24. Please provide specific examples of changes.
Essay Topic 3
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)