|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intervenes to prevent the soldiers from deserting Agamemnon?
2. How does Aphrodite flee the battle in Book 5?
3. Who does Zeus send down to the Greeks to stir up the battle?
4. What does Zeus suggest to Agamemnon in a dream in order to trick him?
5. Who are the two beautiful women that are captured as war prizes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of mind of Agamemnon in Book 4?
2. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
3. What are the origins of Achilles' anger?
4. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
5. In Book 2, what do the Greek forces do to get help from the gods?
6. In Book 7, who decides the fighting should end and how do they plan that end?
7. What is the interpretation of the eagle and the snake that Hector does not like?
8. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
9. In Book 2, was Zeus' plan for Agamemnon successful?
10. How does Paris' selfishness manifest itself in Book 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please pick one of the following options to write about:
1) How pride caused Hector's death.
2) How envy cause the war to being.
3) How greed caused a division in the Greek forces.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to identify the moral of The Iliad, what would it be and why? Please explain using specific examples of characters and lessons they went through and learned.
Essay Topic 3
How does Achilles change in character from the beginning of Book 1 to the end of Book 24. Please provide specific examples of changes.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)