|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Athena and Poseidon urge Achilles to do after he has angered the river god?
(a) Focus on preventing more Greek ships from dying.
(b) Focus on saving the Greek forces.
(c) Focus on pushing the battle to Troy.
(d) Focus on the war.
2. What does Achilles tell his mother he is going to do in response to Patroclus' death?
(a) Avenge Patroclus and kill Hector.
(b) Enter the fighting to end the war.
(c) Enter the fighting because he should have been there
(d) Avenge Patroclus and kill the Trojans.
3. Who does Apollo disguise himself as in order to delay Achilles from fighting Hector?
(a) Lycaon, son of King Priam.
(b) Lycaon, son of King Agamemnon.
(c) Lycaon, son of King Troy.
(d) Lycaon, son of Zeus.
4. During the fighting that occurs after the Greeks are driven to their ships by the Trojans, what inspires Menelaus to fight valiantly?
(a) The ability to rescue Helen.
(b) The gods.
(c) The success of other men.
(d) The death of Hector.
5. What does Thetis advise Achilles to do?
(a) Fight hard with strength.
(b) Make up with Agamemnon.
(c) Wear his new armor into battle.
(d) Pray to the gods for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nestor meet with in order to discuss what to do now that they were wounded and could not fight?
2. What does Hermes do in the night to King Priam while he is in the Greek camp to ransom Hector's body?
3. Apollo reminds Patroclus of what?
4. What does Achilles keep from Patroclus?
5. Who's withdrawal weakens the Trojan army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Agamemnon's state of mind in Book 14, and what is his suggestion?
2. Why does Zeus let his attention drift from the battlefield?
3. After Patroclus' death, what does Zeus do when he sees Patroclus' horses mourning?
4. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
5. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
6. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
7. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
8. What are the gods doing in Book 21 while the mortals are fighting a battle?
9. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
10. What god does Achilles make angry in Book 21, and what does the god do in retaliation?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)