|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Achilles hold the Greek army back so Priam can bury Hector?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Nine days.
(d) Eleven days.
2. What does Achilles tell his mother he is going to do in response to Patroclus' death?
(a) Enter the fighting because he should have been there
(b) Avenge Patroclus and kill Hector.
(c) Enter the fighting to end the war.
(d) Avenge Patroclus and kill the Trojans.
3. Achilles kills so many men in the river, that he angers what god?
4. What do the Trojans do to the Greek ships after Hector has had strength breathed into him by a god?
(a) Sink them.
(b) Destroy them.
(c) Send them out to sea.
(d) Set fire to them.
5. Ajax wounds Hector with what?
(a) A spear.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A large stone.
(d) A sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athena do to Achilles?
2. What instructions does Achilles give to his horses?
3. After Apollo intervenes, who confronts Achilles first?
4. Achilles tells Patroclus that he is not fighting because of what?
5. Who does Zeus send to Achilles with ambrosia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What forces Hector to withdraw from the battle?
2. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
3. Why does Zeus allow the gods back into the battle?
4. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
5. What is Agamemnon's state of mind in Book 14, and what is his suggestion?
6. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
7. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
8. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
9. What god does Achilles make angry in Book 21, and what does the god do in retaliation?
10. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)