|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Apollo intervenes, who confronts Achilles first?
2. What are Patroclus' horses doing after Patroclus dies while there is a fight over his body?
(a) Weeping over his death.
(b) Running away from the battle.
(c) Getting killed by the Trojans.
(d) Standing guard over Patroclus' body
3. Who does Poseidon disguise himself as when he appears to the Greeks after Zeus has taken his eyes off the battlefield?
4. What does Achilles tell his mother he is going to do in response to Patroclus' death?
(a) Enter the fighting because he should have been there
(b) Avenge Patroclus and kill Hector.
(c) Avenge Patroclus and kill the Trojans.
(d) Enter the fighting to end the war.
5. After Patroclus has been avenged, who appears to Achilles in a dream to remind him of his fate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus hope will make Achilles so angry that he will kill Hector?
2. Which two Greeks carry Patroclus's body out of the battlefield and to the ships after Patroclus dies?
3. What does Athena do to Achilles?
4. During the fighting that occurs after the Greeks are driven to their ships by the Trojans, what inspires Menelaus to fight valiantly?
5. What weapon does Ajax carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
2. What is the difference between the actions of the gods who support the Greeks and the gods who support the Trojans in Book 20?
3. What activities follow the burial of Patroclus?
4. In Book 15, while the gods are being informed of Zeus' plan, what are the Trojans and the Greeks doing?
5. Why does pride contribute to Hector's death?
6. Why does Zeus allow the gods back into the battle?
7. What causes Achilles' new understanding of suffering in Book 24?
8. What does Hector tell Achilles with his last words?
9. Who blames the gods for the events that have taken place so far in Book 19?
10. What is the goal of Zeus' plan, as he tells it to Hera?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)