|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Poseidon interfere again?
(a) Because Hector prays to Poseidon.
(b) Because Hector is his grandson.
(c) Because Poseidon doesn't like Zeus.
(d) Because Amphimachos is killed by Hector.
2. What does Hector beg to have happen with his body?
(a) That it be given to Paris.
(b) That it be delivered to his brother.
(c) That it be taken back to Troy.
(d) That it be delivered to King Priam.
3. What do the Trojans do to the Greek ships after Hector has had strength breathed into him by a god?
(a) Destroy them.
(b) Send them out to sea.
(c) Set fire to them.
(d) Sink them.
4. What does Apollo forbid Hector to do when fighting Achilles after Patroclus has died?
(a) Fight Achilles alone.
(b) Fight Achilles on a hillside.
(c) Fight Achilles with swords.
(d) Fight Achilles in battle.
5. After Agamemnon offers gifts in repentance to Achilles, where does Achilles tell Agamemnon their attention should be?
(a) On killing the Trojans.
(b) On not losing the war.
(c) On recoving Helen.
(d) On winning the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first Trojan to see Achilles approach the city gates?
2. Achilles tells Patroclus that he is not fighting because of what?
3. Who does Poseidon appear to?
4. What goddess gives the horses a voice?
5. What happens to Patroclus' horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Patroclus' death, why is Achilles feeling guilty?
2. What does Thetis tell Achilles when she is sent with a message from the gods?
3. Why is Achilles' mother sad when she speaks to Achilles after Patroclus' death?
4. What does Achilles refuse to do until he has properly buried Patroclus?
5. As the Trojans set fire to more Greek ships, what does Achilles do to help Patroclus and the Greeks?
6. What causes Achilles' new understanding of suffering in Book 24?
7. What arguments develop upon Patroclus' death?
8. When Hector returns to the fighting after being advised by Poulydamas, what does Ajax say and what sign does Hector dismiss?
9. In Book 15, while the gods are being informed of Zeus' plan, what are the Trojans and the Greeks doing?
10. What gift does Achilles' mother bring him before he goes to fight?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)