|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pandaros do to Menelaus in order to break the truce between the Greeks and the Trojans?
(a) Run down Menelaus with a horse.
(b) Shoot an arrow at Menelaus.
(c) Stab Menelaus with a spear.
(d) Stab Menelaus with a sword.
2. Where do the Greeks retreat to?
(a) Their fort.
(b) Their ships.
(c) Their cities.
(d) Their camp.
3. What promise does Zeus get from Hera?
(a) That she cannot protest if Zeus assures Helen's safety.
(b) That she cannot protest if Zeus helps the other side.
(c) That she cannot protest if Zeus destroys a city where there is a temple to her.
(d) That she cannot protest if Zeus destroys a city that holds men dear to her.
4. How does Helen entertain King Priam?
(a) She tells him stories of her life before Paris.
(b) She tells him jokes.
(c) She makes fun of the men fighting.
(d) She points out Greek warriors she remembers.
5. What warning does Athena give Diomedes after she lifts the veil from his eyes?
(a) Not to interfere with the gods.
(b) Not to do battle with the immortals.
(c) Not to talk to the gods.
(d) Not to anger the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What objects are sacrificed before the duel in Book 3 between Paris and his competition?
2. How is Hector inspired in his plan to stop the fighting?
3. Who demands that the Trojans concede victory to the Greeks and return Helen?
4. How do Diomedes and Glaukos seal their friendship?
5. What god or goddess helps the Trojans in Book 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Thersites speaking about in Book 2?
2. At the beginning of Book 1, what are we told the story will be about?
3. How do the Trojans successfully attack the wall the Greeks have built?
4. How does Paris' selfishness manifest itself in Book 7?
5. Dione gives some advice to Aphrodite in Book 5. What is that advice?
6. Why is there a listing of soldiers and ships at the end of Book 2?
7. What does Athena's interference in the truce between the Trojans and the Greeks cause?
8. In Book 3, why is Paris considered a coward?
9. What is the difference between the stance of the gods and the stance of the Trojan and Greek armies in Book 4?
10. What is the interpretation of the eagle and the snake that Hector does not like?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)