|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two sides in the war?
(a) The Creteans and the Trojans.
(b) The Greeks and the Trojans.
(c) The Trojans and the Spartans.
(d) The Spartans and the Greeks.
2. What about Helen angers Aphrodite in Book 3?
(a) That Helen doesn't want to go to Paris.
(b) That Helen is unhappy.
(c) That Helen wants Menelaus.
(d) That Helen can resist her.
3. What did the Greeks build without Poseidon's permission?
(a) A fleet of ships.
(b) A wall in the ocean.
(c) A wall on the beach.
(d) A fort on the beach.
4. Nestor reminds the men that they have not accomplished what goal?
(a) Conquering Troy.
(b) Siezing the treasures of Troy.
(c) Reclaiming Helen.
(d) Bringing glory to their king.
5. Why does Hector say he has to fight?
(a) It is destined by the gods.
(b) It is his responsibility.
(c) He needs to be a leader.
(d) He is good at fighting.
6. Agamemnon's offer to Achilles is meant to do what?
(a) Get Achilles to not fight for the Trojans.
(b) Get Achilles to come back and fight for the Greeks.
(c) Get Achilles to forgive Agamemnon.
(d) Get Achilles to bring the gods onto the side of the Greeks.
7. Agamemnon is confident that what?
(a) That his army is superior.
(b) That Zeus is on his side.
(c) The gods are on his side.
(d) That the Greeks will win.
8. What is one of Achilles' possible destinies?
(a) He will return home from fighting the Trojans, and his glory will be everlasting.
(b) He will come home from fighting the Trojans, and he will have no glory
(c) He will not return home from fighting the Trojans, but his glory will be everlasting.
(d) He will not come home from fighting the Trojans, and he will have no glory.
9. Where does Hector find Paris after the Trojans are forced to retreat?
(a) In the gardens with Helen.
(b) In the dining room with Helen.
(c) In the stables with Helen.
(d) In his chambers with Helen.
10. How does Aphrodite flee the battle in Book 5?
(a) She borrows horses from Ares.
(b) She borrows horses from Zeus.
(c) She borrows horses from Apollo.
(d) She borrows horses from Helen.
11. What does Zeus send as a sign that he has heard Agamemnon when Hector is on the verge of burning the Greek ships?
(a) An eagle carrying an ox.
(b) An eagle carrying an olive branch.
(c) An eagle carrying a deer.
(d) An eagle carrying a lamb.
12. What does Poulydamas suggest to Hector?
(a) That the men climb on their horses' backs to cross the ditch.
(b) That the men build a bridge to cross the ditch.
(c) That the men get off their horses to cross the ditch.
(d) That the men don't cross the ditch.
13. What god or goddess helps the Greeks in Book 4?
14. After Zeus sends the goddess of Hate down to the Greeks, what does he send Iris to tell Hector?
(a) To pull back until Agamemnon is dead.
(b) To pull back until the morning.
(c) To pull back until Agamemnon is wounded.
(d) To pull back until Agamemnon asks to talk to Hector.
15. Why is Zeus awake at night in the beginning of Book 2?
(a) He is planning on how to bring honor to Achilles.
(b) He is planning on how to bring Helen home.
(c) He is planning on how to win the war for the Trojans.
(d) He is planning on how to humiliate Agamemnon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Diomedes when he is injured by Pandaros?
2. What is Thetis?
3. According to Zeus, who wins the duel between Paris and his Greek competitor on the battlefield?
4. Where is the eagle injured?
5. Who does Zeus send down to the Greeks to stir up the battle?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)