|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose confession does the Captain show the don during an interrogation in Section 9?
2. Who helps the police retrieve Nicolosi's body in the book?
3. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister shown at the beginning of Section 8 react when he answers the phone?
4. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco assure he will take care of the witness that saw him after the murder?
5. How many murders does the confession the police show Marchica blame on him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of politics in the book, namely his discussions on fascism, communism and socialism. What role does politics appear to be playing in Sicilian society at the time this book was written and what does the author appear to feel towards politics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of regionalism throughout the book. How does the author input regional characteristics in the book and what purpose do you think he had for using this method?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)