|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the high-ranking minister shown at the beginning of Section 8 known as?
2. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco run into after the murder?
3. Who does Marchica want to ensure will be implicated for murder along with him at the end of Section 6?
4. Where is Nicolosi's body discovered in the book?
5. Who does the captain ask the don if he told to get rid of Colasberna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the author's use of both psychological themes alongside realistic observations. How does the author's mixing of these two methods add complexity to the story and what are you able to learn after being given these two observations?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the police that is presented in the book. How might the police be considered as bad as the mafia given the way they conduct Salvatore's murder investigation and why is this significant in regards to better understanding human nature in the book?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)