|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose side of the murder story is told second in Section 7?
2. What is the name of the minister that is revealed to have possible mafia ties in Section 8?
3. What does the man Captain Bellodi meets in Section 8 tell him his dog's name means?
4. Who is transferred out of Italy on the police force after the murder trial in Section 10?
5. Where does Captain Bellodi search for the body of Nicolosi in Section 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
2. How do the police obtain a murder confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
3. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
4. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
5. What is the nature of the police's first interrogation of Pizzuco in Section 6 of the book?
6. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
7. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
10. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of regionalism throughout the book. How does the author input regional characteristics in the book and what purpose do you think he had for using this method?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)