|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the high-ranking minister shown at the beginning of Section 8 known as?
2. Who does the Captain mention during his interrogation of the don that makes him angry?
3. What does a man reveal to a high-ranking minister will be on the front page of a newspaper at the beginning of Section 8?
4. What do the confessions the police obtain insinuate Colasberna did to cause him to be murdered?
5. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who claims they had no prior knowledge about the murder until after it occurred?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marchica react when the police show him a confession in Section 6?
2. How do the police obtain a murder confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
3. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
4. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
5. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
6. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
7. What does the captain do after the mafia get away with murder in Section 10?
8. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
9. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
10. What is the nature of the police's first interrogation of Pizzuco in Section 6 of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of politics in the book, namely his discussions on fascism, communism and socialism. What role does politics appear to be playing in Sicilian society at the time this book was written and what does the author appear to feel towards politics?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)