|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pizzuco do after he assumes the police know everything about the murder?
2. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who offers to supply the gun for the murder?
3. How does the high-ranking minister react when he hears one of his ministers might have mafia connections in Section 8?
4. How many characters are shown at the beginning of Section 9?
5. What is the name of Captain Bellodi's childhood friend that he runs into in Section 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
2. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
3. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
4. What does the captain say to Marchica while he watches Pizzuco being interrogated?
5. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
6. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
7. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
8. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
9. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
10. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)