|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a man reveal to a high-ranking minister will be on the front page of a newspaper at the beginning of Section 8?
2. Why does Marchica claim is the only reason he confessed during the murder trial in Section 10?
3. Which of the following things does Captain Bellodi and his friend not do after running into a woman on the street in Section 10?
4. Who helps the police retrieve Nicolosi's body in the book?
5. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who is accused of fooling a man into allowing him access to a shelter after the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
2. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
3. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
4. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
5. What is the nature of the conversation between two high-ranking officials regarding a newspaper in Section 8?
6. How does Marchica react when the police show him a confession in Section 6?
7. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
10. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the author conducts an intense analysis of the true nature of the Sicilian mafia. Part 1.) What role does the mafia play in the dynamic of Sicilian culture based on their portrayal in the book? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest that the Sicilian mafia's influence in their region is long-term and not likely to change? Part 3.) What might the author be trying shine light on regarding the Sicilian mafia based on the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)