|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the characters shown at the beginning of Section 9 say they will provide for Marchica?
2. What does Bellodi not bother to do to the man he meets at a crime scene in Section 8?
3. Who does the Captain use as an example when trying to prove the don used corrupt building contracts in Section 9?
4. According to the second confession the police hear in Section 7, what was Colasberna offering Pizzuco?
5. What is the name of the minister that is revealed to have possible mafia ties in Section 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the conversation between two high-ranking officials regarding a newspaper in Section 8?
2. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
3. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
4. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
5. How do the police obtain a murder confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
6. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
7. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
8. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
9. What is the nature of the confession the police show to Marchica in Section 6?
10. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of regionalism throughout the book. How does the author input regional characteristics in the book and what purpose do you think he had for using this method?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the author conducts an intense analysis of the true nature of the Sicilian mafia. Part 1.) What role does the mafia play in the dynamic of Sicilian culture based on their portrayal in the book? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest that the Sicilian mafia's influence in their region is long-term and not likely to change? Part 3.) What might the author be trying shine light on regarding the Sicilian mafia based on the outcome of the book?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)