|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person that writes a confession at the beginning of Section 7 hoping to take down with him?
2. What country does the Captain wish Italy would adopt laws from that would allow more mafia members to be arrested?
3. What do all of the girls Captain Bellodi and his friends hang out with in Section 10 believe Sicily to be?
4. Whose side of the murder story is told first in Section 7?
5. Who tells the man watching the interview from the captain's office that his friend is telling the police everything?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
2. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
3. What is the nature of the conversation between two high-ranking officials regarding a newspaper in Section 8?
4. What is the nature of the police's first interrogation of Pizzuco in Section 6 of the book?
5. How do the police obtain a murder confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
6. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
7. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
8. What does the captain say to Marchica while he watches Pizzuco being interrogated?
9. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
10. What is the nature of the confession the police show to Marchica in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of regionalism throughout the book. How does the author input regional characteristics in the book and what purpose do you think he had for using this method?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)