|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain discover the don lied about that he wishes he could arrest him for but cannot?
2. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco assure he will take care of the witness that saw him after the murder?
3. How does Captain Bellodi feel about the area he searches for Nicolosi's body?
4. What is the name of the rocky network of caves and chasms in Sicily?
5. What do all of the girls Captain Bellodi and his friends hang out with in Section 10 believe Sicily to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the confession the police show to Marchica in Section 6?
2. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
3. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
4. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
5. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
6. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
7. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
8. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
9. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
10. What is the nature of the conversation between two high-ranking officials regarding a newspaper in Section 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of the police that is presented in the book. How might the police be considered as bad as the mafia given the way they conduct Salvatore's murder investigation and why is this significant in regards to better understanding human nature in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)