|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the confession the police show Marchica in Section 6 say the murderer didn't have?
2. Who does the captain ask the don if he told to get rid of Colasberna?
3. Whose side of the murder story is told first in Section 7?
4. What country does the Captain wish Italy would adopt laws from that would allow more mafia members to be arrested?
5. What is the name of the rocky network of caves and chasms in Sicily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
2. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
3. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
4. How does Marchica react when the police show him a confession in Section 6?
5. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
6. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
7. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
8. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
9. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
10. How does Pizzuco claim Marchica fooled him into helping him get away with murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)