|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of men do the characters at the beginning of Section 9 say they must find to clear Marchica of murder?
2. Who writes a full confession at the beginning of Section 7?
3. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco assure he will take care of the witness that saw him after the murder?
4. Which of the following realizations does Captain Bellodi not have regarding the murder trial after returning to his hometown in Section 10?
5. Who is eventually charged with Nicolosi's murder in Section 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
2. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
3. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
4. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
5. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
6. How do the police obtain a murder confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
7. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
8. How does Marchica react when the police show him a confession in Section 6?
9. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
10. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)