|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is eventually charged with Nicolosi's murder in Section 10?
2. Which character has been to prison many times and doesn't really mind going back in the book?
3. What kind of projects does the Captain point out that the don has been involved with at the end of Section 9?
4. What word does Captain Bellodi discover a man's dog's name to be derived from in Section 8 that means chief of police?
5. Who does the confession the police show Marchica claim is guilty of the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the police's first interrogation of Pizzuco in Section 6 of the book?
2. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
3. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
4. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
5. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
6. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
7. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
8. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
9. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
10. What is the nature of the conversation between two men regarding Captain Bellodi in Section 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)