|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings the captain a confession in his office to allow the prisoner watching the interrogation to see?
2. Who do the police allow to sit in the captain's office during interrogation in Section 6?
3. Who does the Captain first interrogate in Section 9?
4. Who do the police arrest first in Section 6?
5. What does Marchica believe after the police show him a confession in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
2. What does the captain do after the mafia get away with murder in Section 10?
3. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
4. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
5. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
6. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
7. What is the nature of the police's first interrogation of Pizzuco in Section 6 of the book?
8. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
9. How does Pizzuco claim Marchica fooled him into helping him get away with murder?
10. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the author conducts an intense analysis of the true nature of the Sicilian mafia. Part 1.) What role does the mafia play in the dynamic of Sicilian culture based on their portrayal in the book? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest that the Sicilian mafia's influence in their region is long-term and not likely to change? Part 3.) What might the author be trying shine light on regarding the Sicilian mafia based on the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)