|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bellodi not bother to do to the man he meets at a crime scene in Section 8?
2. Who does the Captain use as an example when trying to prove the don used corrupt building contracts in Section 9?
3. Who does the Captain mention during his interrogation of the don that makes him angry?
4. What is the high-ranking minister shown at the beginning of Section 8 known as?
5. How do the police obtain a confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
2. How does Pizzuco claim Marchica fooled him into helping him get away with murder?
3. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
4. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
5. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
6. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
7. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
8. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
9. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
10. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)