|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person with a spotless reputation that gives Marchica an alibi in Section 10?
2. What word does Captain Bellodi discover a man's dog's name to be derived from in Section 8 that means chief of police?
3. Where does the story Captain Bellodi tells some girls he meets in Section 10 about the mafia take place?
4. How long do the police wait to arrest the next people after the first initial man in Section 6?
5. What does the Captain find himself discussing with the don rather than the murder case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
2. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
3. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
4. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
5. What is the nature of the conversation between two men regarding Captain Bellodi in Section 8?
6. What does the captain do after the mafia get away with murder in Section 10?
7. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
8. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
9. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
10. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the author conducts an intense analysis of the true nature of the Sicilian mafia. Part 1.) What role does the mafia play in the dynamic of Sicilian culture based on their portrayal in the book? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest that the Sicilian mafia's influence in their region is long-term and not likely to change? Part 3.) What might the author be trying shine light on regarding the Sicilian mafia based on the outcome of the book?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)