|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Captain Bellodi say he knows he will go to at the end of the book?
2. Which of the following realizations does Captain Bellodi not have regarding the murder trial after returning to his hometown in Section 10?
3. Who do the two men having a phone conversation in Section 8 believe the police should be more willing to work with?
4. Who does the Captain first interrogate in Section 9?
5. What does Bellodi not bother to do to the man he meets at a crime scene in Section 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
2. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
3. What is the nature of the conversation between two men regarding Captain Bellodi in Section 8?
4. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
5. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
6. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
7. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
8. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
9. What is the nature of the confession the police show to Marchica in Section 6?
10. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of politics in the book, namely his discussions on fascism, communism and socialism. What role does politics appear to be playing in Sicilian society at the time this book was written and what does the author appear to feel towards politics?
Essay Topic 3
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)