|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Captain Bellodi go on a leave of absence from the police force in Section 10?
2. Who does the confession the police show Marchica claim is guilty of the murder?
3. What does a man reveal to a high-ranking minister will be on the front page of a newspaper at the beginning of Section 8?
4. What kind of men do the characters at the beginning of Section 9 say they must find to clear Marchica of murder?
5. Whose poise is considered unflappable in Section 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
2. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
3. What does the captain do after the mafia get away with murder in Section 10?
4. How does Marchica react when the police show him a confession in Section 6?
5. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
6. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
7. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
8. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
9. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
10. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the police that is presented in the book. How might the police be considered as bad as the mafia given the way they conduct Salvatore's murder investigation and why is this significant in regards to better understanding human nature in the book?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)