|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as having a violent reputation in Section 7?
2. What does Marchica believe after the police show him a confession in Section 6?
3. What does the Captain discover the don lied about that he wishes he could arrest him for but cannot?
4. How do the girls Captain Bellodi tells a story about the mafia to in Section 10 feel about the story?
5. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who claims they had no prior knowledge about the murder until after it occurred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
2. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
3. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
4. What does the captain do after the mafia get away with murder in Section 10?
5. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
6. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
7. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
8. What is the nature of the conversation between two men regarding Captain Bellodi in Section 8?
9. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
10. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)