|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the man the police allow to sit in the captain's office first witness the police questioning in Section 6?
2. What is the name of the person with a spotless reputation that gives Marchica an alibi in Section 10?
3. How many characters are shown at the beginning of Section 9?
4. Whose poise is considered unflappable in Section 9?
5. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco run into after the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
2. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
3. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
4. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
5. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
6. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
7. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
8. What is the nature of the conversation between two men regarding Captain Bellodi in Section 8?
9. What does the captain do after the mafia get away with murder in Section 10?
10. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of loyalty that is presented in the characters involved with the mafia in the book. How does the mafia use loyalty to secure their safety and how to they make this an effective method in their members?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
Essay Topic 3
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)