|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person with a spotless reputation that gives Marchica an alibi in Section 10?
2. How many characters are shown at the beginning of Section 9?
3. How do the girls Captain Bellodi tells a story about the mafia to in Section 10 feel about the story?
4. How does Captain Bellodi react after the girls tell him what they think of his story about the mafia in Section 10?
5. What do the girls Captain Bellodi and his friend meet in Section 10 believe heats the blood of Sicilian people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
2. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
3. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
4. How do the police obtain a murder confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
5. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
6. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
7. What is the nature of the conversation between two men regarding Captain Bellodi in Section 8?
8. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
9. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
10. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of politics in the book, namely his discussions on fascism, communism and socialism. What role does politics appear to be playing in Sicilian society at the time this book was written and what does the author appear to feel towards politics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of loyalty that is presented in the characters involved with the mafia in the book. How does the mafia use loyalty to secure their safety and how to they make this an effective method in their members?
Essay Topic 3
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)