|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose confession does the Captain show the don during an interrogation in Section 9?
2. Who helps the police retrieve Nicolosi's body in the book?
3. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister shown at the beginning of Section 8 react when he answers the phone?
4. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco assure he will take care of the witness that saw him after the murder?
5. How many murders does the confession the police show Marchica blame on him?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)