|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many murders does the confession the police show Marchica blame on him?
2. What happens when the medic tries to obtain justice against members of the mafia according to Captain Bellodi's story in Section 10?
3. Where does Captain Bellodi tell some girls that most mafia bosses would stay while they were in jail in Section 10?
4. Whose poise is considered unflappable in Section 9?
5. Who reacts in rage when the police show him a full confession implicating him in Section 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
2. What is the nature of the conversation between two men regarding Captain Bellodi in Section 8?
3. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
4. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
5. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
6. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
7. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
10. What does the captain say to Marchica while he watches Pizzuco being interrogated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of loyalty that is presented in the characters involved with the mafia in the book. How does the mafia use loyalty to secure their safety and how to they make this an effective method in their members?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the author conducts an intense analysis of the true nature of the Sicilian mafia. Part 1.) What role does the mafia play in the dynamic of Sicilian culture based on their portrayal in the book? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest that the Sicilian mafia's influence in their region is long-term and not likely to change? Part 3.) What might the author be trying shine light on regarding the Sicilian mafia based on the outcome of the book?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)