|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the police arrest first in Section 6?
2. Whose side of the murder story is told first in Section 7?
3. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco run into after the murder?
4. Who does the Captain mention during his interrogation of the don that makes him angry?
5. According to the second confession the police hear in Section 7, what was Colasberna offering Pizzuco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
2. How does Pizzuco claim Marchica fooled him into helping him get away with murder?
3. What does the captain do after the mafia get away with murder in Section 10?
4. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
5. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
6. What is the nature of the confession the police show to Marchica in Section 6?
7. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
8. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
9. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
10. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)