|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man being interviewed by police actually telling them when the other prisoner watches the interview from the captain's office?
2. What do the confessions the police obtain insinuate Colasberna did to cause him to be murdered?
3. Which character has been to prison many times and doesn't really mind going back in the book?
4. What does a man reveal to a high-ranking minister will be on the front page of a newspaper at the beginning of Section 8?
5. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who claims they had no prior knowledge about the murder until after it occurred?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of loyalty that is presented in the characters involved with the mafia in the book. How does the mafia use loyalty to secure their safety and how to they make this an effective method in their members?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)