|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is eventually charged with Nicolosi's murder in Section 10?
2. Why does Marchica claim is the only reason he confessed during the murder trial in Section 10?
3. Who does the man the police allow to sit in the captain's office first witness the police questioning in Section 6?
4. Who does Marchica want to ensure will be implicated for murder along with him at the end of Section 6?
5. How do the police obtain a confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marchica react when the police show him a confession in Section 6?
2. What is the nature of the police's first interrogation of Pizzuco in Section 6 of the book?
3. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
4. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
5. How do the police obtain a murder confession to show Marchica in Section 6?
6. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
7. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
8. What happens when a woman named Livia invites the captain and his friend to her house in Parma?
9. What is the nature of the conversation between two high-ranking officials regarding a newspaper in Section 8?
10. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of violence in the book. What role does violence play in the success of the mafia and what impact does this have on the nature of Sicilians in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)