|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the minister that is revealed to have possible mafia ties in Section 8?
2. Who reacts in rage when the police show him a full confession implicating him in Section 7?
3. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, who does Pizzuco assure he will take care of the witness that saw him after the murder?
4. Who do the police arrest first in Section 6?
5. Where does Captain Bellodi tell some girls that most mafia bosses would stay while they were in jail in Section 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the captain's initial impression of the Grimoli Chiarchiaro?
2. What is the nature of Marchica and Pizzuco's testimonies in Section 10?
3. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
4. How does Marchica react when the police show him a confession in Section 6?
5. What is the nature of the police's first interrogation of Pizzuco in Section 6 of the book?
6. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
7. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
10. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of politics in the book, namely his discussions on fascism, communism and socialism. What role does politics appear to be playing in Sicilian society at the time this book was written and what does the author appear to feel towards politics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)