|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the old man shown in Section 4 believe make a fool of most of the men in the city?
2. Which of the following things does the workers for the man of honor shown (at the beginning of Section 2) not do after not being paid?
3. What does the old man say anyone who sets themselves up against the church is, in Section 4?
4. Who does the sergeant major find to be given a nickname due to his love of gambling?
5. Who does the old man say should take a vacation at the end of Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
2. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
3. Why does the police captain tell Giuseppe he believes his brother was shot in Section 1?
4. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
5. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
6. What do police do after receiving Little Priest's letter in Section 5?
7. How does Little Priest die?
8. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
9. Why does the captain ask the men of the Santa Fara Co-op to write down their names and addresses at the end of Section 1?
10. How do the passengers on the bus react after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
Essay Topic 2
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)