|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 known as?
2. What does Little Priest also include on a piece of paper for the police in Section 5 along with some names?
3. Which of the following descriptions does the old man not use to describe the men that don't join the mafia at the beginning of Section 4?
4. A man is shot getting on a bus which is traveling where?
5. Where does the old man suggest the young man should go visit a sister at the end of Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
2. How does an old man describe Little Priest's work as a spy in Section 4?
3. Why does Little Priest feel guilty at the beginning of Section 5?
4. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
5. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
6. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
7. What does Mrs. Nicolosi tell police regarding her husband's actions on the day Salvatore was murdered?
8. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
9. Why does the police captain tell Giuseppe he believes his brother was shot in Section 1?
10. How do the passengers on the bus react after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
Essay Topic 3
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)