|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the mood of the individual shown at the beginning of Section 5 described?
2. Who does the old man say should take a vacation at the end of Section 4?
3. Which of the following descriptions does the old man not use to describe the men that don't join the mafia at the beginning of Section 4?
4. What does the man who comes to talk to the police in Section 5 say does not even exist?
5. What does the old man say a man should do if he finds out his wife is cheating on him in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
2. How is Little Priest's quality of life described while working as a police informant?
3. What is the nature of the conversation between two Sicilian men at the beginning of Section 2?
4. Why does the captain ask the men of the Santa Fara Co-op to write down their names and addresses at the end of Section 1?
5. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
6. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
7. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
8. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
9. How does Little Priest die?
10. How do the employees of a sulphur mine react after not being paid for three months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)