|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the man whose house is located on the street the police believe the murderer to have run down after the shooting?
2. What does the captain suggest all of the building contractors in their area had done that the man who died had not?
3. Which of the following men do the police not arrest after getting Little Priest's letter?
4. Who is the author of the book "Il Giorno Della Civetta"?
5. What religion are all mafia members associated with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
2. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
3. What do police do after receiving Little Priest's letter in Section 5?
4. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
5. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
6. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
7. How is Little Priest's quality of life described while working as a police informant?
8. What is the nature of the anonymous letters the police receive in Section 1?
9. What does Mrs. Nicolosi tell police regarding her husband's actions on the day Salvatore was murdered?
10. What is the nature of most of the bus passengers police track down regarding the shooting in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of violence in the book. What role does violence play in the success of the mafia and what impact does this have on the nature of Sicilians in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)