|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain watch during the informant's interview despite believing he is lying?
2. Who does the old man say should take a vacation at the end of Section 4?
3. What is described as the entire network of mafia connections that lives in the shadow of the church?
4. What happens to the passengers on the bus after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
5. How is the informant to the police on the mafia's payment described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the captain ask the men of the Santa Fara Co-op to write down their names and addresses at the end of Section 1?
2. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
3. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
4. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
5. How does an old man describe Little Priest's work as a spy in Section 4?
6. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
7. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
8. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
9. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
10. What information is the captain able to discover regarding Nicolosi in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the author's use of both psychological themes alongside realistic observations. How does the author's mixing of these two methods add complexity to the story and what are you able to learn after being given these two observations?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)