|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the informant to the police on the mafia live in a constant state of?
2. What does the captain watch during the informant's interview despite believing he is lying?
3. What is the name of the man who was shot at the beginning of the book?
4. How does the man who comes to talk to the police in Section 5 describe one of the men they arrested?
5. Who do two high-ranking ministers discuss at the beginning of Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the captain ask the men of the Santa Fara Co-op to write down their names and addresses at the end of Section 1?
2. What is the nature of the conversation between two Sicilian men at the beginning of Section 2?
3. How does Little Priest die?
4. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
5. What do police do after receiving Little Priest's letter in Section 5?
6. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
7. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
8. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
9. What information is the captain able to discover regarding Nicolosi in Section 3?
10. What is the nature of most of the bus passengers police track down regarding the shooting in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the author conducts an intense analysis of the true nature of the Sicilian mafia. Part 1.) What role does the mafia play in the dynamic of Sicilian culture based on their portrayal in the book? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest that the Sicilian mafia's influence in their region is long-term and not likely to change? Part 3.) What might the author be trying shine light on regarding the Sicilian mafia based on the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Captain Bellodi and Don Arena in the book. How does the author draw similarities in these two characters during the don's interrogation and what do you think he may be suggesting about the nature of Sicilian's based on this portrayal?
Essay Topic 3
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)