Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man believe a certain spy to be setting himself up against in Section 4?
2. What is the nickname that Mrs. Nicolosi gives to the police in regards to the shooting?
3. What are the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 known as?
4. What is the nickname of the informer the police use to gain information on the mafia?
5. How many anonymous letters do the police have with ideas of who killed the man at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
2. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
3. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
4. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
5. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
6. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
7. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
10. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
Essay Topic 1
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of violence in the book. What role does violence play in the success of the mafia and what impact does this have on the nature of Sicilians in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)