|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain tell the dead man's brother the group possibly responsible for his brother's death are willing to do if they are not obeyed?
2. Who is the man the sergeant major brings in (who loves gambling) believed to have ties to?
3. How many times has the individual shown at the beginning of Section 5 given this type of information to the police?
4. What does the captain watch during the informant's interview despite believing he is lying?
5. What is the name of the company the man owned who was shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
2. What is the nature of the confession the police show to Marchica in Section 6?
3. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
4. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
5. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
6. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
7. What is the nature of the story the old man tells regarding a police officer at the beginning of Section 4?
8. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
9. Why does the captain ask the men of the Santa Fara Co-op to write down their names and addresses at the end of Section 1?
10. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
This section contains 1,830 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)