|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 believe Captain Bellodi to be, in regards to the mafia?
2. How long ago do the police discover it had been since the man who was shot at the beginning of the book had been accosted on a bus for the very first time?
3. Whose names does the police informant give to the captain at the end of Section 2?
4. Which of the following things does the workers for the man of honor shown (at the beginning of Section 2) not do after not being paid?
5. What reason does the captain have for asking those questioned in the murder case to write something down at the end of Section 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
2. How do the employees of a sulphur mine react after not being paid for three months?
3. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
4. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
5. What is the nature of most of the bus passengers police track down regarding the shooting in Section 1?
6. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
7. How does Little Priest die?
8. What do police do after receiving Little Priest's letter in Section 5?
9. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
10. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)