|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the passengers on the bus after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
2. How many anonymous letters do the police have with ideas of who killed the man at the beginning of the book?
3. What does the old man shown in Section 4 believe most of the men in his city to be?
4. How is the driver of the bus described when he is interviewed by the police after the shooting?
5. What do the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 believe Captain Bellodi to be, in regards to the mafia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
2. What is the nature of the anonymous letters the police receive in Section 1?
3. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
4. What do the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 decide to do for Marchica?
5. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
6. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
7. What does Mrs. Nicolosi tell police regarding her husband's actions on the day Salvatore was murdered?
8. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
9. How does an old man describe Little Priest's work as a spy in Section 4?
10. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of loyalty that is presented in the characters involved with the mafia in the book. How does the mafia use loyalty to secure their safety and how to they make this an effective method in their members?
Essay Topic 2
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Captain Bellodi and Don Arena in the book. How does the author draw similarities in these two characters during the don's interrogation and what do you think he may be suggesting about the nature of Sicilian's based on this portrayal?
This section contains 1,848 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)