|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man believe a certain spy to be setting himself up against in Section 4?
2. What is the nickname that Mrs. Nicolosi gives to the police in regards to the shooting?
3. What are the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 known as?
4. What is the nickname of the informer the police use to gain information on the mafia?
5. How many anonymous letters do the police have with ideas of who killed the man at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
2. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
3. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
4. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
5. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
6. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
7. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
10. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
Essay Topic 1
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)