|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who comes to talk to the police in Section 5 say does not even exist?
2. Who does the man of honor shown at the beginning of Section 2 complain about an encounter with?
3. What is the name of the popular card game often played in Sicily that is discussed in the book?
4. Whose names does the police informant give to the captain at the end of Section 2?
5. What political association do the two men at the beginning of Section 3 claim Salvatore Colasberna to be involved with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
2. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
3. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
4. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
5. What does Mrs. Nicolosi tell police regarding her husband's actions on the day Salvatore was murdered?
6. How does Little Priest die?
7. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
8. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
9. How is Little Priest's quality of life described while working as a police informant?
10. Why does the police captain tell Giuseppe he believes his brother was shot in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
Essay Topic 3
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)