|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain suggest is the reason for the man being shot during his interview with the informant on the mafia?
2. What does the old man say a man should do if he finds out his wife is cheating on him in Section 4?
3. Who is the man the sergeant major brings in (who loves gambling) believed to have ties to?
4. How do many of the bus passengers describe their seat window on the day of the shooting to police?
5. What does the man who comes to talk to the police in Section 5 say does not even exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
2. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
3. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
4. Why does the police captain tell Giuseppe he believes his brother was shot in Section 1?
5. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
6. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
7. How does Little Priest die?
8. What information is the captain able to discover regarding Nicolosi in Section 3?
9. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
10. What is the nature of the information Little Priest gives to the captain in Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of the confession in the book. How does the author portray the level of desperation felt by police based on the way they obtain confessions from the mafia in the book?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)