|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the company the man owned who was shot?
2. What is the nickname of the informer the police use to gain information on the mafia?
3. What does the man who comes to talk to the police in Section 5 say does not even exist?
4. What is the name of the man's house that is located on the street the police believe the murderer to have run down after the shooting?
5. At what time do the police believe the murderer would have been running down the street after the shooting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
2. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
3. How does Pizzuco claim Marchica fooled him into helping him get away with murder?
4. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
5. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
6. How do the employees of a sulphur mine react after not being paid for three months?
7. How do the passengers on the bus react after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
8. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
9. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
10. Why does the captain ask the men of the Santa Fara Co-op to write down their names and addresses at the end of Section 1?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of violence in the book. What role does violence play in the success of the mafia and what impact does this have on the nature of Sicilians in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the police that is presented in the book. How might the police be considered as bad as the mafia given the way they conduct Salvatore's murder investigation and why is this significant in regards to better understanding human nature in the book?
This section contains 1,805 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)