Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man believe a certain spy to be setting himself up against in Section 4?
2. What is the nickname that Mrs. Nicolosi gives to the police in regards to the shooting?
3. What are the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 known as?
4. What is the nickname of the informer the police use to gain information on the mafia?
5. How many anonymous letters do the police have with ideas of who killed the man at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
2. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
3. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
4. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
5. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
6. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
7. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
10. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
Compare and contrast the author's use of both psychological themes alongside realistic observations. How does the author's mixing of these two methods add complexity to the story and what are you able to learn after being given these two observations?
Discuss the author's portrayal of violence in the book. What role does violence play in the success of the mafia and what impact does this have on the nature of Sicilians in the book?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)