Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man believe a certain spy to be setting himself up against in Section 4?
2. What is the nickname that Mrs. Nicolosi gives to the police in regards to the shooting?
3. What are the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 known as?
4. What is the nickname of the informer the police use to gain information on the mafia?
5. How many anonymous letters do the police have with ideas of who killed the man at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
2. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
3. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
4. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
5. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
6. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
7. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
10. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of regionalism throughout the book. How does the author input regional characteristics in the book and what purpose do you think he had for using this method?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of loyalty that is presented in the characters involved with the mafia in the book. How does the mafia use loyalty to secure their safety and how to they make this an effective method in their members?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)