|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the popular card game often played in Sicily that is discussed in the book?
2. How long had the man of honor shown at the beginning of Section 2 held out on paying his workers?
3. What reason does the captain have for asking those questioned in the murder case to write something down at the end of Section 1?
4. Whose names does the police informant give to the captain at the end of Section 2?
5. Which of the following things does the workers for the man of honor shown (at the beginning of Section 2) not do after not being paid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an old man describe Little Priest's work as a spy in Section 4?
2. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
3. Why does the police captain tell Giuseppe he believes his brother was shot in Section 1?
4. Why does Little Priest feel guilty at the beginning of Section 5?
5. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
6. How does Little Priest die?
7. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
8. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
9. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
10. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The portrayal of class is an important theme developed by the author to showcase the vast gap between those of influence and the commoner. Part 1.) How does it appear that the mafia keeps the unfair balance between the upper and lower classes intact in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of those in the upper class based on the conversations of unnamed high-ranking officials throughout the book? Part 3.) What evidence is present to suggest that those in the lower class are making efforts to better their situations based on their portrayal in the book?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)