|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is the beginning of Section 2 set in?
2. Why does the police informant on the mafia make up a story to tell to the captain in Section 2?
3. Which of the following things does the workers for the man of honor shown (at the beginning of Section 2) not do after not being paid?
4. What is the name of the man who was shot at the beginning of the book?
5. What is the actual name of the informer the police use to gain information on the mafia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the conversation between two Sicilian men at the beginning of Section 2?
2. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
3. What information is the captain able to discover regarding Nicolosi in Section 3?
4. Why does the police captain tell Giuseppe he believes his brother was shot in Section 1?
5. How is Little Priest's quality of life described while working as a police informant?
6. What is the nature of the information Little Priest gives to the captain in Section 2?
7. How do the passengers on the bus react after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
8. What is the nature of the anonymous letters the police receive in Section 1?
9. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
10. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
Essay Topic 2
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)