|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the individual shown at the beginning of Section 5?
2. What is the name of the popular card game often played in Sicily that is discussed in the book?
3. How many times has the individual shown at the beginning of Section 5 given this type of information to the police?
4. What is the Italian name for the police that is used in the book?
5. What is the name of the honorable man Don Arena is said to be close friends with at the end of Section 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the passengers on the bus react after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
2. Why does Little Priest feel guilty at the beginning of Section 5?
3. What is the nature of the information Little Priest gives to the captain in Section 2?
4. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
5. What is the nature of the anonymous letters the police receive in Section 1?
6. What is the nature of the story the old man tells regarding a police officer at the beginning of Section 4?
7. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
8. How does Little Priest act in public after meeting with police in Section 5?
9. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
10. What is the nature of most of the bus passengers police track down regarding the shooting in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)