Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man believe a certain spy to be setting himself up against in Section 4?
2. What is the nickname that Mrs. Nicolosi gives to the police in regards to the shooting?
3. What are the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 known as?
4. What is the nickname of the informer the police use to gain information on the mafia?
5. How many anonymous letters do the police have with ideas of who killed the man at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marchica claim was the reason Pizzuco asked to have Salvatore killed?
2. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
3. What is the nature of the captain's story regarding a prison medic in Section 10?
4. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
5. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister known as "His Excellency" react when he answers a phone call in Section 8?
6. How does the captain try and prove the don had connection to corrupt building projects in Section 9?
7. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
8. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
9. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
10. How does Don Arena react when the police show him Marchica's confession in Section 9?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of guilt that is presented in the book through characters like Little Priest. Why does this emotion so rarely appear in the book and what role might that have in better understanding the nature of the mafia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of politics in the book, namely his discussions on fascism, communism and socialism. What role does politics appear to be playing in Sicilian society at the time this book was written and what does the author appear to feel towards politics?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the author conducts an intense analysis of the true nature of the Sicilian mafia. Part 1.) What role does the mafia play in the dynamic of Sicilian culture based on their portrayal in the book? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest that the Sicilian mafia's influence in their region is long-term and not likely to change? Part 3.) What might the author be trying shine light on regarding the Sicilian mafia based on the outcome of the book?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)