|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the street the police believe Colasberna's murderer to have run down after the shooting?
2. How many shots does the wife of he man whose house is located on the street the police believe the murderer to have run down after the shooting say her husband heard?
3. What do the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 believe Captain Bellodi to be, in regards to the mafia?
4. What does the captain suggest is the reason for the man being shot during his interview with the informant on the mafia?
5. Who does the old man say should take a vacation at the end of Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Nicolosi reveal to police regarding a nickname in Section 3?
2. Why does Little Priest feel guilty at the beginning of Section 5?
3. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
4. What information is the captain able to discover regarding Nicolosi in Section 3?
5. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
6. What is the nature of the conversation between two Sicilian men at the beginning of Section 2?
7. What is the nature of the information Little Priest gives to the captain in Section 2?
8. How does Little Priest die?
9. How is Little Priest's quality of life described while working as a police informant?
10. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main theme presented throughout the book is an analysis of the nature of Sicilian society in the 1960s. Part 1.) What can we learn about the fear many Sicilians had based on the reactions of the bus passengers onboard when Salvatore is shot? Part 2.) What evidence is present to suggest the mafia is responsible for many of the actions of the Sicilian society during the 1960s based on their portrayal in this book? Part 3.) What possibility is there of the police seeing a change in the nature of the Sicilian society and how do they try and achieve this change?
Essay Topic 2
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of politics in the book, namely his discussions on fascism, communism and socialism. What role does politics appear to be playing in Sicilian society at the time this book was written and what does the author appear to feel towards politics?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)