|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the passengers on the bus after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
2. What does the informant to the police on the mafia live in a constant state of?
3. How is the mood of the individual shown at the beginning of Section 5 described?
4. How does the old man say a man is not supposed to react if he suspects his wife of cheating in Section 4?
5. Who is the author of the book "Il Giorno Della Civetta"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
2. How does an old man describe Little Priest's work as a spy in Section 4?
3. What do police do after receiving Little Priest's letter in Section 5?
4. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
5. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
6. What is the nature of the letter Little Priest sends to police in Section 5?
7. Why does Little Priest feel guilty at the beginning of Section 5?
8. How does Little Priest die?
9. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
10. What information is the captain able to discover regarding Nicolosi in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)