|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain tell the dead man's brother the group possibly responsible for his brother's death are willing to do if they are not obeyed?
2. How many times has the individual shown at the beginning of Section 5 given this type of information to the police?
3. Who is the man the sergeant major brings in (who loves gambling) believed to have ties to?
4. What does the old man shown in Section 4 believe most of the men in his city to be?
5. What profession does the man have in the story the old man tells at the beginning of Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
2. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
3. How does the author say Marchica feels about going to prison in Section 7?
4. How does Pizzuco react when the police show him Marchica's confession?
5. How do the passengers on the bus react after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
6. Why does Pizzuco tell the police he didn't come to them with information regarding Salvatore's murder at the end of Section 7?
7. What is the nature of the confession the police show to Marchica in Section 6?
8. What is the nature of the conversation between two high-ranking officials regarding a newspaper in Section 8?
9. What do police do after receiving Little Priest's letter in Section 5?
10. How does Little Priest act in public after meeting with police in Section 5?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of power that is portrayed in the book, namely in regards to the police and the mafia. How do these two groups seek and use power differently and similarly? What does this use of power tell us about the nature of each organization?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of violence in the book. What role does violence play in the success of the mafia and what impact does this have on the nature of Sicilians in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the important role religion played in the lives of the mafia members in the book. Why do you think the mafia chose to stress such importance on religion given their violent and unethical actions in every aspect of their lives?
This section contains 1,804 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)