|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as the entire network of mafia connections that lives in the shadow of the church?
2. Which of the following things does the workers for the man of honor shown (at the beginning of Section 2) not do after not being paid?
3. Where does the old man suggest the young man should go visit a sister at the end of Section 4?
4. What is the profession of the man whose house is located on the street the police believe the murderer to have run down after the shooting?
5. What does the old man say a man should do if he finds out his wife is cheating on him in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
2. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
3. What is the initial information the police find on Diego Marchica at the end of Section 3?
4. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
5. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
6. Why does Little Priest feel guilty at the beginning of Section 5?
7. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
8. How does Little Priest act in public after meeting with police in Section 5?
9. What is the nature of the speech a man gives to the police regarding Don Arena in Section 5?
10. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The portrayal of corruption is an important theme found in the book that makes the reader question the similarities the police have with the mafia. Part 1.) How does the mafia use corruption as a means to an end in the book, namely in their business ventures? Part 2.) What is telling of the nature of the police based on their tendencies of corruption in the book? Part 3.) Is the corruption used by the police warranted given their desire to find justice or does this prove they are no more innocent than the mafia?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the police that is presented in the book. How might the police be considered as bad as the mafia given the way they conduct Salvatore's murder investigation and why is this significant in regards to better understanding human nature in the book?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)