|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do two high-ranking ministers discuss at the beginning of Section 3?
2. What is the name of Mrs. Nicolosi's lover?
3. What is the name of the brother of the man who was killed at the beginning of the book, who talks to police about his death?
4. What is the name of the spy the old man expresses regret at in Section 4?
5. What does the captain tell the dead man's brother the group possibly responsible for his brother's death are willing to do if they are not obeyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the information Little Priest gives to the captain in Section 2?
2. Why does Little Priest feel guilty at the beginning of Section 5?
3. How is the captain able to get reliable information from Little Priest in Section 2 despite knowing he was lying to him?
4. What is the nature of most of the bus passengers police track down regarding the shooting in Section 1?
5. What is the nature of the conversation between two men at the beginning of Section 3 regarding the mafia?
6. How is the "Mother Church" first described in the book?
7. How does an old man say one can avoid being cuckolded in Section 4?
8. What information do the police first find out regarding Salvatore after his identity is discovered?
9. Why does the police captain tell Giuseppe he believes his brother was shot in Section 1?
10. What is the nature of the two men's conversation regarding communism at the beginning of Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The leading theme throughout the book is the discovery and battle of right versus wrong. Part 1.) What appears to be the author's overall message regarding the nature of the battle between right and wrong based on the outcome of the book? Part 2.) Is there a possibility of those fighting for what is right to beat out those encouraging what is wrong, and if so how could this be achieved? Part 3.) What appears to be the captain's next step in fighting for right to overcome wrong based on his thoughts at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the important role respect played in the mafia. How do members of the mafia gain respect from Sicilian citizens and other members? What role does respect appear to play in the mafia, namely in regards to the hierarchy of its members?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the police that is presented in the book. How might the police be considered as bad as the mafia given the way they conduct Salvatore's murder investigation and why is this significant in regards to better understanding human nature in the book?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)