|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following things does the workers for the man of honor shown (at the beginning of Section 2) not do after not being paid?
2. A man is shot getting on a bus which is traveling where?
3. How does the man who comes to talk to the police in Section 5 describe one of the men they arrested?
4. What reason does the captain have for asking those questioned in the murder case to write something down at the end of Section 1?
5. What is the Italian name for the police that is used in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the story the old man tells regarding a police officer at the beginning of Section 4?
2. What does Mrs. Nicolosi reveal to police regarding a nickname in Section 3?
3. How did Little Priest earn a living before becoming a police informant?
4. How does an old man say a man becomes cuckolded in Section 4?
5. How do the passengers on the bus react after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
6. What is the nature of the information Little Priest gives to the captain in Section 2?
7. What does an old man decide Marchica should do at the end of Section 4?
8. What information is the captain able to discover regarding Nicolosi in Section 3?
9. Why does the captain ask the men of the Santa Fara Co-op to write down their names and addresses at the end of Section 1?
10. What is the nature of most of the bus passengers police track down regarding the shooting in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a great effort to showcase the true nature of the interrogation throughout the book. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the police based on the way they interrogate witnesses and suspects in the book? Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of members of the mafia based on their reactions to being interrogated by police in the book? Part 3.) How does the author present a moral dilemma in the book's characters through the portrayal of interrogation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolic meaning of the owl that is presented in the book. Why do you think the author chose to name his book "The Day of the Owl", especially considering the speech he makes about owls in Section 8 of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of the author's choice for the book's layout, namely having the climax comes in the opening scene. How does this make you view the plot differently than you normally would, especially given the fact that there will be no conflict needed to build a climax?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)