|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the don say the man claiming he used corrupt building contracts has done to pay him back at the end of Section 9?
(a) Laughed at him.
(b) Helped him.
(c) Stabbed him in the back.
(d) Made fun of him.
2. Where is Nicolosi's body discovered in the book?
(a) Buried in a hole.
(b) On the street.
(c) Behind the altar.
(d) Deep down in a cleft in the earth.
3. Who approaches Captain Bellodi when he returns to the station after finding Nicolosi's body?
(a) The mafia.
(b) The government.
4. What do the characters at the beginning of Section 9 consider the most important piece of evidence the police have in their murder investigation?
(a) The don's identity.
(b) Pizzuco's confession.
(c) Mrs. Nicolosi's confession.
(d) Marchica's confession.
5. How does the wife of the high-ranking minister shown at the beginning of Section 8 react when he answers the phone?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does the Captain wish Italy would adopt laws from that would allow more mafia members to be arrested?
2. Who helps the police retrieve Nicolosi's body in the book?
3. According to the first confession the police hear in Section 7, where does Marchica hide out after the murders?
4. What happens to a medic that begins treating sick patients rather than members of the mafia according to Captain Bellodi's story in Section 10?
5. Where does Captain Bellodi say he knows he will go to at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the farmer the captain meets in Section 8 describe the meaning of his dog's name?
2. Why does the captain decide not to interview a farmer he meets in Section 8?
3. What are the two men talking at the beginning of Section 9 worried about?
4. How does Pizzuco claim Marchica fooled him into helping him get away with murder?
5. How does Don Arena react to his police interrogation in Section 9?
6. How do the women the captain meet in Parma feel about Sicily?
7. Why do the police arrest Marchica before the other suspects in Section 6?
8. What is the nature of Dr. Baccarella's testimony in Section 10?
9. How is the Grimoli Chiarchiaro first described in the book?
10. How does Don Arena react when police mention his daughter during his interrogation in Section 9?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)