|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Captain Bellodi say he knows he will go to at the end of the book?
2. What do the characters at the beginning of Section 9 say Marchica must claim to have happened to cause him to confess to murder?
(a) Say he was tortured.
(b) Say he lied.
(c) Say police made it up.
(d) Say he was kidding.
3. Who are the characters shown at the beginning of Section 9 worried about confessing?
(a) Diego Marchica.
(b) Don Arena.
(c) Minister Mancusi.
(d) Saro Pizzuco.
4. How does Captain Bellodi feel about the area he searches for Nicolosi's body?
(a) It is pretty.
(b) It is sad.
(c) That it is creepy.
(d) It is holy.
5. Where does the story Captain Bellodi tells some girls he meets in Section 10 about the mafia take place?
(a) A bank.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A church.
(d) A prison infirmary.
6. What occupation does the man Captain Bellodi meets in Section 8 have?
(a) A government official.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A cook.
7. According to the second confession the police hear in Section 7, what was Colasberna offering Pizzuco?
(a) Marriage advice.
(b) An alibi.
(d) Business advice.
8. Which of the following realizations does Captain Bellodi not have regarding the murder trial after returning to his hometown in Section 10?
(a) He is a bad policeman.
(b) His detective work has come to nothing.
(c) No one will find a connection between the mafia and important officials.
(d) No one will ever admit to the existense of the mafia.
9. Who reacts in rage when the police show him a full confession implicating him in Section 7?
(b) Saro Pizzuco.
(c) Don Arena.
(d) Ciccio La Rosa.
10. Who does the man the police allow to sit in the captain's office first witness the police questioning in Section 6?
(a) Don Arena.
(b) Mrs. Nicolosi.
(d) Saro Pizzuco.
11. What word does Captain Bellodi discover a man's dog's name to be derived from in Section 8 that means chief of police?
12. Who do the two men having a phone conversation at the beginning of Section 8 become annoyed at because of their sudden rise in power?
(a) Don Arena.
(b) Captain Bellodi.
(c) Saro Pizzuco.
(d) Diego Marchica.
13. Who does the Captain use as an example when trying to prove the don used corrupt building contracts in Section 9?
(a) Paolo Nicolosi.
(b) Mr. Fazello.
(c) Ciccio La Rosa.
(d) Salvatore Colasberna.
14. What do the characters at the beginning of Section 9 consider the most important piece of evidence the police have in their murder investigation?
(a) Marchica's confession.
(b) Pizzuco's confession.
(c) The don's identity.
(d) Mrs. Nicolosi's confession.
15. Which of the following things does Captain Bellodi and his friend not do after running into a woman on the street in Section 10?
(a) Sit by the fireplace.
(b) Go back to the girl's house.
(c) Go dancing at a local club.
(d) Listen to records.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is transferred out of Italy on the police force after the murder trial in Section 10?
2. Who brings the captain a confession in his office to allow the prisoner watching the interrogation to see?
3. What is the man being interviewed by police actually telling them when the other prisoner watches the interview from the captain's office?
4. Who does the Captain mention during his interrogation of the don that makes him angry?
5. How does the high-ranking minister react when he hears one of his ministers might have mafia connections in Section 8?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)