|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Nicolosi's body discovered in the book?
(a) Behind the altar.
(b) Buried in a hole.
(c) Deep down in a cleft in the earth.
(d) On the street.
2. What occupation does the man Captain Bellodi meets in Section 8 have?
(a) A cook.
(b) A government official.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A farmer.
3. Who brings the captain a confession in his office to allow the prisoner watching the interrogation to see?
4. Why does Marchica claim is the only reason he confessed during the murder trial in Section 10?
(a) Because police made him.
(b) Because he was scared.
(c) Because he felt like it.
(d) Because he was angry at Pizzuco.
5. What is the name of the person with a spotless reputation that gives Marchica an alibi in Section 10?
(a) Colagero Dibella.
(b) Honorable Member Livigni.
(c) Minister Mancusi.
(d) Doctor Baccarella.
6. Who are the characters shown at the beginning of Section 9 worried about confessing?
(a) Minister Mancusi.
(b) Don Arena.
(c) Saro Pizzuco.
(d) Diego Marchica.
7. Who do the police arrest first in Section 6?
(b) Salvatore Colasberna.
(c) Don Arena.
(d) Diego Marchica.
8. Who do the two men having a phone conversation in Section 8 believe the police should be more willing to work with?
(a) Government officials.
(b) Prominent citizens.
(c) The mafia.
(d) The poor.
9. How does the don respond when he is shown a confession in Section 9?
10. What does Marchica believe after the police show him a confession in Section 6?
(a) That the police are liars.
(b) That Pizzuco confessed.
(c) That the don confessed.
(d) That he is innocent.
11. Which of the following things does Captain Bellodi and his friend not do after running into a woman on the street in Section 10?
(a) Listen to records.
(b) Go back to the girl's house.
(c) Sit by the fireplace.
(d) Go dancing at a local club.
12. What does the Captain find himself discussing with the don rather than the murder case?
13. What is the name of Captain Bellodi's childhood friend that he runs into in Section 10?
14. Who do the police arrest next after the first arrest in Section 6?
(b) Paolo Nicolosi.
(c) Diego Pizzuco and Don Arena.
(d) Ciccio La Rosa and Don Arena.
15. What does a confession suggest is the only motivation for Marchica to commit murder?
(a) There is no reason.
(b) He holds grudges.
(c) His violent temper.
(d) He is a psychopath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the medic tries to obtain justice against members of the mafia according to Captain Bellodi's story in Section 10?
2. What kind of men do the characters at the beginning of Section 9 say they must find to clear Marchica of murder?
3. How does Captain Bellodi feel about the area he searches for Nicolosi's body?
4. What country does the Captain wish Italy would adopt laws from that would allow more mafia members to be arrested?
5. Who is transferred out of Italy on the police force after the murder trial in Section 10?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)