|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the spy the old man expresses regret at in Section 4?
(a) Little Priest.
(b) Diego Marchica.
(d) Saro Pizzuco.
2. What does the informant to the police on the mafia live in a constant state of?
3. What does the captain suggest all of the building contractors in their area had done that the man who died had not?
(a) Had a permit.
(b) Went to church.
(c) Paid for protection.
(d) Hired locals.
4. Why does the police informant on the mafia make up a story to tell to the captain in Section 2?
(a) So he will be paid.
(b) He is mad.
(c) He is forced.
(d) He wants to get back at someone.
5. Whose names does the police informant give to the captain at the end of Section 2?
(a) Ciccio La Rosa and Saro Pizzuco.
(b) Diego Marchica and Paolo Nicolosi.
(c) Diego Marchica and Ciccio Nicolosi.
(d) Guiseppe Colasberna and Ciccio La Rosa.
6. How is the driver of the bus described when he is interviewed by the police after the shooting?
7. What does the old man say a man should do if he finds out his wife is cheating on him in Section 4?
(a) Do nothing.
(b) Beat up the man.
(c) Kill his wife.
(d) Get mad and raise a ruckus.
8. Which of the following men do the police not arrest after getting Little Priest's letter?
(a) Don Arena.
(b) Saro Pizzuco.
(c) Ciccio La Rosa.
(d) Diego Marchica.
9. What kind of mine has the man of honor shown at the beginning of Section 2 invested much of his money in?
10. What happens to the passengers on the bus after a man is shot at the beginning of the book?
(a) They disappeared.
(b) They scream and hide on the bus.
(c) They talk to police immediately.
(d) They laugh.
11. Who does the sergeant major believe knows everyone in town and goes to question in Section 3?
(a) His brother.
(b) His barber.
(c) His baker.
(d) His brother-in-law.
12. How many anonymous letters do the police have with ideas of who killed the man at the beginning of the book?
13. What does the old man say anyone who sets themselves up against the church is, in Section 4?
(b) A dead man.
14. What does the captain suggest is the reason for the man being shot during his interview with the informant on the mafia?
(a) For not submitting to the mafia.
(b) For being too rich.
(c) For being poor.
(d) For not paying their taxes.
15. Who does the old man shown in Section 4 believe make a fool of most of the men in the city?
(a) The government.
(b) The mafia.
(c) The priests.
(d) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as the entire network of mafia connections that lives in the shadow of the church?
2. Who does the sergeant major find to be given a nickname due to his love of gambling?
3. Where is the opening scene of the book located?
4. What is the name of the man who was shot at the beginning of the book?
5. What do the two high-ranking ministers shown at the beginning of Section 3 believe Captain Bellodi to be, in regards to the mafia?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)