|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cathy's dancing name?
2. Where was the mountain cottage Jory remembers living in with his mother when he was three?
3. Who finds Bart, injured, under the shrubs?
4. What does Malcolm's journal say he took pleasure in beating?
5. What does Cathy remember Madame Marisha saying she would have no life without?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Identify examples of foreshadowing in the book. Explain what each example foreshadows and how it comes to fruition.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how each chapter title relates to the material in the chapter. What purpose do the chapter titles serve? How do they aid in telling of the story? Which ones have more than one meaning for the contents of the chapter? Explain the different meanings.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)