|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Amos tell the old woman Bart has in his knee?
2. When conversing with Bart, why does John Amos say Cathy is writing her book?
3. When confronting Corinne, Chris blames Bart's playacting on a lack of photographs of his __________?
4. What does Cathy remember Madame Marisha saying she would have no life without?
5. In Homecoming, Bart, pretending to be Malcolm, demands toast and ________ for breakfast.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Recognize a theme in the novel. Which scenes exemplify the theme? What other themes can be found? Which characters are used to demonstrate theme?
Essay Topic 2
In the prologue the narrator says, "I found a strand of silver in my hair today, reminding me that soon I might be a grandmother, and I shuddered." Identify the character, and explain her reaction to this natural occurrence from what is discovered about her within the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the intricacies of and history behind Chris and Cathy's relationship. Why is their relationship so secretive? Do they see their relationship the way the world does? How do they justify it to themselves and to their children? What effect does this relationship have on their family?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)