|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gathering Darkness, what does Chris use to coax Bart out of bed?
2. Feeling pain makes Bart feel like he isn't a _______.
3. What second role does Cathy dance for in the ballet that she does not tell Chris about?
4. Who says, "conceived in fire, born in heat," to Bart about his birthday?
5. Whose hair does Malcolm write about cutting in his journal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author's method of conveying information to the reader. Cite examples. Who is better informed, the reader or the narrator? How does the author's method of conveying information further the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the benefits of each narrator. Which narration is stronger? Who is a more reliable narrator? Who is a more insightful narrator? Which narrator's voice feels more authentic? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the mood of certain settings. Explain how this mood is proved or justified in the story, giving examples. What descriptive phrases establish the mood? How does mood enhance the reader's understanding?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)