|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their second confrontation, Corinne asks Chris if he loves Cathy as a man loves a _______.
2. In Gathering Darkness, what does Chris use to coax Bart out of bed?
3. Who does Corinne want to take as her own?
4. Now that Cathy cannot dance, what does she consume her time with?
5. Just before Corinne rocks Bart to sleep singing him a lullaby in Honor Thy Mother, what does Bart say Corinne used to smell of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the few of Bart's thoughts from his narration that have a profound and surprising insight. What is he referring to when he thinks it? What broader meanings do these thoughts have, and how do they apply to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Bart feels inferior to Jory. How does this determine Bart's behavior around Jory? In what ways are Bart's feelings justified? In what ways are they not justified? Give examples
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)